Bladesworn Feedback Thread

Fire Attunement.9835

3 minutes ago, Gambit.9501 said:

I think the people who are criticizing this spec not "having a role" need to take a step back for a moment and realize that ALL warriors in GW2 do the exact same thing, just in different ways.  The whole point of Elite specs in general is just different themeings and playstyles.  Other Action MMO games out there do this exact same thing via the various Job systems, and people love it.  Not every class needs to be like Chrono or Druid on HoT's release and have some sort of game-breaking effect it offers.

Rev - Herald (Boon Support), Renegade (Alac, DPS), Vind (PvP?)

Guard - DH (DPS), FB (Quickness, Boon Support, Healer), Willbender (PvP?)

Engi - Scrapper (Quickness), Holo (DPS), ?

Ranger - Druid (Healer, Boon Support), Soulbeast (DPS), ?

Ele - Tempest (Boon Support, Healer), Weaver (DPS), Cata (Quickness, DPS?)

Necro - Reaper (DPS), Scourge (DPS, Healer/Support), Harb (DPS)

Mesmer - Chrono (Quick+Alac Boon Support), Mirage (Alac, DPS), Virt (DPS, ?)

Warrior - Bers (DPS), Spb (DPS, PvP), Blades (DPS)

"The whole point of Elite specs" sure is giving alternate builds and playstyles to every class except Warr and Thief. 

• Like 3

I know the aesthetic issue is probably secondary to functionality, but there does seem to be consensus among posters that they would appreciate being able to customize the Gun Saber. After all, GW2 has been referred to as “fashion wars” on more than one occasion. How about something like this:

Greatsword is a required equip upon switching into the Blade Sworn espec. So, rather than a separate mode, you just have your GS automatically equipped. The skills within the GS would change to what they are within the Dragon Saber, but the GS would retain its ability to be customized and this would allow us to equip a second set of sigils.

In order to indicate “Dragon Saber” mode, perhaps the animation team could simply put together some sort of transparent overlay over top of the GS. 

I don’t know how plausible this would be, but it would resolve a number of issues:

The aesthetic issue would be resolved

- The awkward weapon swap mechanic would be resolved.

- Dragon Trigger would simply become “F1” again and be accessible even when not in GS.

I dunno, just a thought I had.

Edited by crewthief.8649

6 minutes ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Core warrior identity: deal dmg and take a lot of punishment (this identity has gone over the years due to power creep). 

Berserker identity: much higher dps spikes than core warrior could do, becomes vulnerable due to that. 

Spellbreaker: better survivability than core, focuses on boonstrip

Bladesworn: uuuhh take flurry, hundred blades and kills hot, mix well together and server warm.

Jokes aside they can make BS unique by: giving it some unique Boon interaction: Protection has 40% dmg reduction in this spec and by giving it some unique feature like boonsupport. Flow stabilizer becomes an AoE 4 stab stack shared skill and Immortal Dragon heals you for an amount and the allies around you as well. 

Br it some heal, boonsupport, boon/condi conversion-corruption, it needs something unique. Dps won't cut it cause berserker filled that role long ago. 

Again.  This focus over "roles" in warr elite specs is utterly pointless.  Bladesworn literally sustains itself off of rule of cool alone, and that's not an exaggerations nor is it a joke.  By your logic, Reaper doesn't have much of an inherent identity, or a "role" either, and yet people love it.

Edited by Gambit.9501

3 minutes ago, felix.2386 said:

Here's a joke guys, not only DT 2 stuck youself in walls

casting DT 2 on uneven terrain will send you up in air for potential self fall damage and you lock youself in the air for self stun.

Indeed. It's truly interesting to spam it with Daring Dragon and seeing how the moving target goes over a minor terrain alteration and you fly above them. 

3 minutes ago, Gambit.9501 said:

Again.  This focus over "roles" in warr elite specs is utterly pointless.  Bladesworn literally sustains itself off of rule of cool alone, and that's not an exaggerations nor is it a joke.  By your logic, Reaper doesn't have much of an inherent identity, or a "role" either, and yet people love it.

because reaper is actualy fun, fits in concept with the class, it's fluid to play... BS is just a chimera that targets certain audience, it doesn't fit with the class and it is a mess to play with.

Edited by Mesket.5728

1 minute ago, Gambit.9501 said:

Duh cause the playstyle change varries massively between Core Necro and Reaper. That is part of the so-called 'identity'. Not just the role, but how you execute said role. 

Berserker enters you in a mode with new Bursts tha have lower CD than normal Bursts, Spellbreaker offers a new mechanic which can instantly refresh your Bursts and allow for very good combos. BS Nad the trigger isn't even usable outside of the Gunblade... 

So yes warrior is all 'dps' but the playstyle changes are what make the spec live or die. Neither Berserker nor Spellbreaker were any crazy thought out specs, but by now they have developed their own identity, Bladesworn however is stuck, confused as to what it's role is and how it should reach its goal. 

Gunblade is awesome. Easily the most coherent spec of the three. Combat flows together quite well, it has useful spec-specific skills, but doesn't invalidate the base-class skills. Everything here is functional, the only thing I would worry about here is balancing numbers.

The one source of clunk is that releasing Dragon Trigger locks you in to using the gunblade for the next 9 seconds, so if you're using dragon trigger regularly, you're probably never touching your "actual" equipment.

• Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Mesket.5728 said:

because reaper is actualy fun, fits in concept with the class, it's fluid to play... BS is just a chimera that targets certain audience, it doesn't fit with the class and it is a mess to play with.

Sounds like your opinion, man.  I think Bladesworn is plenty of fun???  I dont see how it doesnt fit the class.

Edited by Gambit.9501

1 minute ago, Gambit.9501 said:

Sounds like your opinion, man.  I think Bladesworn is plenty of fun???  I dont see how it doesnt fit the class.

of course it is my opinion. What else would you find on a public forum if it is not all opinions? and it is my opinion that one single technological kit and gadgets are not enough for a warrior espec. We loose things to become a vanilla engineer and cross fingers numbers will be enough to compensate.

Edited by Mesket.5728
  • Like 1

Edit: On second thoughts.. As I become more accustomed to playing it (I got inspired again since posting) how it works is becoming more interesting and playable. The concept is fairly simple but the application in a mobility intensive setting is what makes it tricky. 

Original: The theme for EoD elite specs seems to be using trade offs or new styles of resource management. Bladesword has both. I like this spec (which says a lot, I avoid warrior like the plague) but the energy management and usage feels punishing and the pay off for it doesn't feel valuable enough. Yes I can knock off a quarter of a bosses health - there's not that much content where this is useful and a well built team would melt said boss before I've gotten enough flow and charged dragon trigger. I have to question whether the big one hit yield is worth another specs damage during the ramp up time that bladesworn takes. I suppose with good preparation this can be very useful  in particular fights. It also feels restrictive to have weapon swap on cooldown after dragon trigger, I can't understand the design logic on that one.

My suggestion would be: Faster flow. faster trigger charge, lower damage potential. Edit: No I think my only problem is with the classes opening damage without having prebuffed, flow feels comfortable once the cycle has begun it's just that in fights with a lot of mobs I don't feel so powerful, maybe I'll figure that out too though.

Otherwise it's quite good, I've probably finished with my beta testing with it now. Keen to see what changes are made at launch.

Edited by Nayaru.4716

Btw traits are decent and synergize nicely with core, will suggest stuff as the beta continues. But the main thing here isn't about the traits. Traits acn be whatever so long the base mechanic is OK to use. Which is not in this instance. 

Because aside from daring Dragon, we don't rly see much of game play change based on GM used, but that's another discussion on how especs change playstyle with their GM choices. 

1 minute ago, Mesket.5728 said:

of course it is my opinion. What else would you find on a public forum if it is not all opinions? and it is my opinion that one single technological kits and gadgets are not enough for a warrior espec. We loose things to become a vanilla engineer and cross fingers numbers will be enough to compensate.

Okay but how does it not "fit the class" tho

2 minutes ago, Gambit.9501 said:

Hey dude it's a feedback thread of peoples opinionated experiences and feelings when playing the class. It's not helpful for anyone looking through the feedback to have to read through someone questioning everyone's opinions. We're all going to disagree when it comes to opinions. Just sayin', thanks.

Edited by Nayaru.4716
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Gambit.9501 said:

How, you barely touch anything that's bladesworn exclusive in openworld...you are basically just playing core war with one weapon set in open world most of the time, because gunsaber CD too long and you will never have enough flow in time to cast any significant dragon trigger and it is even garbage at clearing mobs.

and in pvp, wvw is even more garbage..

i doubt you even played anything tbh, you just farting word out of your mouth.

1 hour ago, Kidel.2057 said:

To people reacting to this with a confused face, Bladesword does 53k dps guys. It needs some adjustment in both ways.  

Sure, it needs some utility and some fixes to be viable in competitive modes, but at least it's a beast in PvE and doesn't have broken mechanics. 

Please source a video cause best iver seen is like 32k dps

7 minutes ago, Gambit.9501 said:

Warriors are masters of weaponry who rely on speed, strength, toughness, and heavy armor to survive in battle. Adrenaline fuels their offensive power—the longer warriors stay in a fight, the more dangerous they become. Warriors are masters of physical combat skills.

Engineers are technological and alchemical masterminds. They employ turrets, grenades, elixirs, a variety of other impressive devices, and concoctions to overcome their enemies. As an adventurer profession, engineers wear medium armor.

BS is a warrior with:

+magical bullets

+ technological kit

+ greandes and gadgets

- weapons

- adrenaline

slow and stationary

this sounds more of an engie spec than a warrior. This spec would add gameplay to an engineer while it reduces it for warriors.

Edited by Mesket.5728
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gambit.9501 said:

Doing this means you lose Triggerguard and Flicker Step, though

Both skills don't feel very useful with Dragon Trigger.

Triggerguard - Aegis mechanically is sound, but most enemies (S3 onwards) hit multiple times in short succession, often with CC effects added in. One Aegis isn't going to do much. Aegis on a Guardian works because you get effects either while having Aegis or after it's used up--Warrior doesn't have either of these bonuses, and a 2s Aegis on a 1s Recharge (2 count, 30s CD) you basically have to sit there and mash Triggerguard the entire time you're in Dragon Trigger for it to have a partial effect. It really should be replaced either by pulsing Stability or pulsing Aegis.

Flicker Step - This is an odd duck. On the one hand it is good for repositioning, but you could easily mimic this effect by allowing Warrior to dodge while in Triggerguard (similar to Thief Rifle 5 Kneel skill). I can see a few uses and a few problems with this:

1. Chasing Opponents/Repositioning: Reach & Boost should already fulfill these roles, and 1-2 dodge-rolls would carry you close enough (while also providing evade frames) to fulfill this function.
  2. Getting out of range then coming back in: Gunsaber itself doesn't have enough movement to truly warrant flickerstepping away out of combat and then back in for the slash. It's a bit clunky in either scenario.

5 minutes ago, Nayaru.4716 said:

I like this spec (which says a lot, I avoid warrior like the plague)

This is something to consider also... most people who likes this spec never liked warrior to begin with. I don't know if this is good or bad, but it is something to consider. On the other hand, most people who have doubts or don't like the class (like myself) have been warrior main since closed beta (at least me).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mesket.5728 said:

This is something to consider also... most people who likes this spec never liked warrior to begin with. I don't know if this is good or bad, but it is something to consider. On the other hand, most people who have doubts or don't like the class (like myself) have been warrior main since closed beta (at least me).

the problem is people who like it are the new players with clunky gameplay, who can't feel the clunkiness.

are players who play bearbow and stand auto attacking all day long or just minion mancer everything out of their way.

all the plat2+ non warrior main pvpers will tell you how garbage and clunky it is to play.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Nayaru.4716 said:

Hey dude it's a feedback thread of peoples opinionated experiences and feelings when playing the class. It's not helpful for anyone looking through the feedback to have to read through someone questioning everyone's opinions. We're all going to disagree when it comes to opinions. Just sayin', thanks.

I obviously have nothing against disagreeing or differing opinions.  I'm not trying to get on anyone's case over not liking things.  The reason WHY i'm pushing this particular point is because I genuinely cannot understand how someone thinks that a freaking Katana with a gunbarrel on it "doesn't fit" the literal premier martial class of GW2.  It borders on sounding disingenous, like actually bad feedback.  And that kind of feedback could actually end up becoming harmful to the game later down the road.

Edited by Gambit.9501
  • Confused 1

Flow takes way too long to charge, and it also takes way too long to convert to charges for dragon trigger. It's almost impossible to use dragon trigger efficiently in PvE because everything interrupts it.

I'd say give us a trait for pulsating stability and/or aegis while in the dragon trigger stance to make it even remotely fun to use in PvE, because as it's stands right now I see no reason to ever play bladesworn in PvE because both berserker and spellbreaker feel better to play and doesn't require 10 seconds of setting up to do damage.

If any devs actually read this, look up the longsword from "Monster Hunter World: Iceborne" with it's Iai and foresight slashes, because THAT'S how you translate real life Iaido to video game mechanics.

And last but not least, the gunsaber itself feels very slow, clunky and unrewarding. Skills 3 and 4 are indistinguishable from each other, the skill 5 though is an OK dodge.

• Like 2