Bladesworn Feedback Thread

Fire Attunement.9835

7 hours ago, XDeathShadowX.2619 said:

I'll admit I'm bad at builds in this game, I get that bladesworn getting 50k dps and breaking bosses with dragon trigger needed to be addressed but when I tried it today it felt weak as all hell. I like dragon slashes reduced charge time, standing still for 5s was terrible, but I couldn't even get 1/4 the damage it used to do. Right now it feels more worth while to use whirling axe on berserker instead. The cooldowns are long too, I spent so much time at max flow just waiting for dragon trigger to cooldown and the gunsabre skills feel like they never recharge. The new lush forest should almost just be replaced, it feels like mantras 2.0 except worse, at least mantras could be used twice before you sat on your hands waiting for recharge, now you use one ammo and wait for a cooldown unless the elite is recharged then you use one extra charge and then cast the elite and go back to waiting. Also dragon trigger not being available in your other weapon set is kind of a rip off since you lose your burst skill. Most specs I'd say would have a fighting chance if they were on par dps wise with an existing class but offered a different feel to play, but losing your burst would make zerker the choice even if both specs had the same dps.

I remember before a lot were saying how terrible the spec is and how unfun it is to play and how badly designed it is, but its only saving grace was high numbers making is semi-worth it. 

So instead of really fixing it from the ground up, they nerfed the numbers and nerfed flow stabiliser. Then nerfed one of our talents to reduce the awful cd's the class has due to a badly designed elite. Like case in point for a warrior, we had one good thing about the spec, so they nerfed it. 

• Like 3

Add stow to Gunsaber, please.

Non bugged weapon swap made BS better, but not having access to Dragon Trigger while not on gunsaber still feels very odd and limiting. Make it so I can go into DT while not on gunsaber. 

Lush Forest got overnerfed. Not affecting non-utility and non-weapon slots was a good nerf on it's own, but the 1s ICD makes using it not very natural. LF is basically Bladesworn's only chance at having fun with a lot of ammo utilities. But with 1s ICD Bladesworn runs into an issue - Lush Forest ammo build would want to have as many ammo skills as it can fit, but it doesn't want to use them too often. You end up in a situation where to get value from LF you autoattack in place of using skills, because most of them are ammo based and you want to use them ideally at max ammo. Lush Forest triggering on initial rather than the last ammo charge also breaks it's previous synergy with the pistol and makes it so CDR it gives can get lost if your other skills are already at max charges. Last charge flows better and I'd consider making it max charge an another nerf.

As I said in the previous feedback, I think Shouts are more of a problem here - they are the best ammo skills for Warrior. I'd just bring their healing down baseline and buff healing power scaling for Bladesworn - so Shoutsworn can function smoothly and be a good teamfight spec, but won't top healing every game on berserker amulet. Nerfing all ammo skills just kills the rest.

Offhand pistol is just not good. Offers little damage and utility compared to other offhands. I don't know why would you take it, other than to get ammo charge effects for the two (used to be three) of master major traits.

Rest of the changes are good. Might generation on Unyielding gave BS a lot of synergy with MmR. 

Consider bringing down the stunbreak Mine's cooldown way down. At 35s I doubt it will ever be used - but on 20-25s cd it could rival Endure Pain.

Edited by Rym.1469
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Honestly the recent changes kill this spec for me, it doesn't feel like it fits the fantasy of the concept anymore.  The dragon trigger skills now do too low dmg for me to get any enjoyment out of it and on top of that, this just feels like berserker with extra steps.  The concept of it was that it was a slow but hard hitting subclass that requires timing and positioning, now that's gone and just left with a reskin of Heart of Thorn's subclass with a cool gunblade I guess.

I get it was overtuned but you could of just hit the flow rate or maybe make it more required to switch out of the gunblade instead of just sticking to it since now I just can't seem to get any fun out of the swings of it.  The overall changes just aren't that good to the dragon triggers skills and just makes it feel like I'm just playing my same old berserker with a gimmick.

I can't see people touching this subclass if it doesn't provide any solid reason to pick it over berserker as this point as it is just the same subclass now with extra steps, those dragon trigger skills need to fit it's fantasy/concept again and the class needs to be relooked at to help get it to be the more slower but flashy style it had within the first beta without it being op.

• Like 8

Well i just point to my latest feedback on page 27. 

Point 1, the arguably most important point, was not touched at all. I see your effort but crucial things like not being able to move or dodge in your "stance" is just awful.

Also: I still dont see any vulnerability application on gunsaber at all! What is this? We are spamming explosions, stuff should be vulnerable after that, just like on engineer. No one is taking on my mark for vulnerability, so your only real source is either the pistol (if you ever switch to it) or the arms traitline which is tied to your burst (so not really reliable at all as BSW). Vulnerability is one of the biggest damage increases.

Edited by anbujackson.9564
  • Like 1

Oh man, this E-Spec was rough to play in PvE.

Flow Generation took a nose dive for the sake of the faster DT charge up, but then as soon as you're out of combat, that flow drop hits far too quickly that it takes an egregious amount of time to regenerate it. 

Stability on Dragonscale Defense was a good addition but it needs to be permanent, not temporary. There are still moments when you'd get interrupted with DT because Stability runs out. It's not as bad as before, but this is still partially an issue. Also this is the one time I'm actually wanting some level of animation lock: Make it so that we have to hit the DT slash first BEFORE we can actually move around. It's so easy to press any of the move buttons during the DT slash animation and your character just doesn't do the actual DT slash, meaning Flow Cost but no damage whatsoever. As soon as the hit number shows, then we should be able to move. 

Flow Stabilizer getting Fury over Stability is alright for me personally since we got Stability on DT, though I assume most people use it outside DT, hence why they consider it a massive nerf. I'm personally alright with Fury over Stability since this E-Spec pretty much makes Fury mandatory to make it feel warranted. If there's a way to add Stability back to Flow Stability without losing Fury, that would be the best option.

Finally, we need to get Lush Forest back to its original state. Bladesworn relies on ammunition as a whole, and to destroy the only thing that generates it passively was just the wrong way to go about it. Unless the Elite Skill gets its cooldown 20 seconds like Berserker's Headbutt, or maybe even 15 seconds for better ammunition management, the Gunsaber just suffers massively, along with all the Bladesworn's Utilities. 

• Like 7

(beta 4 feedback)

This was a good idea, but with poor execution.  Yes the Dragon Slashes do incredible damage, but it takes forever to build up Flow to get to that point, more often than not the target dies or runs away during Dragon Trigger charging, and cooldowns are excessive without having much to show for it.  Overall, feels slow, clunky, and unresponsive.  Decent endurance build; probably going to be relegated to bannerslave in raids & strikes, but no significant role in open world or story.

• Like 1

Seems like the swapping between Dragon Trigger and Gunsaber no longer counts as a weapon swap for sigils. I would like to echo the desire for direct swaps from regular weapons to Dragon Trigger and swapping back to the previous weapon after a dragon slash.

Edited by Prince of Ravens.9415
This should maybe be in the bug thread, changed to be feedback
  • Like 1

I just can't really get into this spec. It feels so weird compared to other warrior specs, but in a bad way. As if someone gathered greatsword and rifle skills/animations, compressed them together, changed few things and voila, Gunsaber. Then changed adrenaline into flow, made it more annoying to manage and then made 3 op skills (Dragon Slash) that make Bladesworn somehow usable. And of course, removal of core bursts and disabling 2nd normal weaponset in combat as cherry on top. Then they remembered that they also make normal weapon and utility skills for new elite specs - woosh - Armaments and pistol off-hand. 👏

What about -300 toughness while in Dragon Trigger? Because that is what high HP and armor class must have on dps spec, to be more balanced (let's also ignore the fact that not all specs have proper trade offs and it looks like they aren't getting any). 🤡

Devs want this spec to be "homage to samurai films" (more like homage to edgy anime crap) and this hurts the spec to be more versatile and fitting for Guild Wars 2 game and GW2 warrior profession.

In PvE, Dragon Trigger can still be interrupted quite easily which makes the spec (compared to core, berserker and spellbreaker) annoying to use. The high risk high reward gameplay only works reliably if there is enough utility (and smooth/polished skill animations...) to support it, which Bladesworn doesn't have.

Flow generation is unintuitive, probably because it is flow per second and not flat flow gained per interaction

or maybe because it is sluggish and becomes good only with multiple flow stacks.

Utility skills are still joke. What about something cool, useful and impactful?

Pistol is big missed opportunity. Melee pistol? Seriously? I remember people joking about pistol being melee, before Bladesworn reveal...big yikes.

Both utility skills and pistol skills feel like they were made only because they had to be made, not because devs wanted to make something cool and fun. Their effects are very limited and lackluster.

Gunsaber has no options to customize it. It has weird weapon swap (e.g. you can swap with default weaponswap button from Gunsaber, but when you want to swap into Gunsaber, you have to use F1 while normal weapon swap button is greyed out).

Gunsaber weapon, as it is now, was step in wrong direction and devs should have made it to be pistol/pistol instead (with much better and more impactful medium range skills of course). Or you know, devs could have also came up with new tech for this new special weapon (Gunsaber) that allows more control and customization... oh well.

At this point, I don't see reason to give more feedback on more fundamental parts of the specialization, as it seems devs achieved what they wanted with the spec (homage to explosive samurai edgy anime crap and forcing Gunsaber so much) and looking at how intentionally badly pistol off-hand and utility skills were made, there is just no hope for something more warrior-ish and less weeby. 😞

But hey, this spec will be amazing for people who hop on it for few hours, have some nice erp with it and then go back to their main saying "Bladesworn is great!". 🤮

Edited by cryorion.9532
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 9/21/2021 at 9:43 AM, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

Let us know what you think about the bladesworn! What do you really like? What needs to be improved or adjusted?

Found a bug? Let us know in the bug thread.

It's just shout spam with tactics instead of discipline. Please do two things!

1. Make moves synergize together! Not just button mashing, things need to connect to other things! Bulls Charge -> Hundred Blades. Shield Bash -> f1 burst. Here things are just being spammed like crazy!

2. Fix Arms, Defense, and Discipline! Don't just force us to take Tactics with this new spec it's not inventive and doesn't solve core issues with the Warrior. MAKE FAST HANDS BASELINE!!!  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I've played around with a couple builds now and it just feels lackluster overall. I say a couple builds but lets be honest there is no versatility in this spec, it is what it is. The spec is just meant to hit that big number but the rest feels terrible and pointless and doesn't fit in any content.

Gunsaber: it has the burst and the rest of the attacks are lackluster and hit like a wet noodle.

Pistol: Warrior really didn't need another close range weapon and it doesn't feel like it adds anything to the "bladesworn" concept.

Flow: Takes forever to build up, in open world it's pointless, i could just auto attack the enemy and it'll be dead loooong before i've built up enough flow.

Utilities: Flow Stabilizer is simply a must have which is annoying for group content because it means all our utilities are decided before even starting (ie banners).

Elite: Was way better in beta 1

It feels like a mess of concepts, there's gunsaber, ammunition, flow and then random utilities thrown in. Like we have to generate flow to load ammunition? wtf is that? Flow takes so long to build up I may as well just kill the enemies with auto attacks. The spec doesn't feel like it's good in any game mode.

Overall as a Warrior main since GW1, I just want something new and interesting for Warrior, this is the same old banner warrior with a slow burst instead of a bunch of little ones (Berserker). The class has so much potential and it's eternal purpose in the game is to carry banners. It's sad and it's been going on for far too long.

Also: let us sheath the gunsaber ... pls

While we're here we may as well list some of the other issues with warrior.

Rifle is terrible

Hammer is terrible

Swords are terrible

fast hands baseline

no real ranged options

adrenaline loss is horrible

Spellbreaker utilities are literal garbage

• Like 8

kinda saddens me to see all the negative feedback on the profession, i absolutely LOVED the spec in the first beta run, was already looking forward to unlocking it on my warrior and had a lotta fun testing it out in southsun cove.

this new itteration feels worse to me though, i really liked the lush forest the way it was because i felt like i had a flow going in combat, hitting armaments to increase flow allowing me to keep up hitting skills, it was a ton of fun, and the longer charge time on dragontrigger felt like a high risk, high reward playstyle, was really cool.

lush forest now triggering on the first ammo charge feels a bit off, i'm trying not to use my heal's 2nd charge but at the same time that means not getting the buffs that are on it, not pushing for that 2nd hit on flow stabilizer makes it a little more difficult to crank up that flow gain too. dunno, just not feeling it nearly as much this time around.

will add that going into dragon trigger from main weapons would be a great addition, the fact you draw your dragontrigger from a sheathe makes it thematically still work too.

can't wait to see the final results for this spec as it was my #1 spec during the first beta tests 🙂

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

You ruined the munitions mechanics with the Lush Forest trait, and the trait it self at the same time:

- Now it is very difficult to use the trait since one has the need to continue occupying the ammunition. In addition, for the same reason it is usually activated only at the beginning of combat when all abilities are full charged.

- Must avoid using the extra ammunition of the abilities to use the trait, so it is like as were not ammunition skills.

P.S.: I love this new Elite, but this trait lose all sence.

Edited by Aavataris.5720
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

Oh man, this E-Spec was rough to play in PvE.

Flow Generation took a nose dive for the sake of the faster DT charge up, but then as soon as you're out of combat, that flow drop hits far too quickly that it takes an egregious amount of time to regenerate it. 

Stability on Dragonscale Defense was a good addition but it needs to be permanent, not temporary. There are still moments when you'd get interrupted with DT because Stability runs out. It's not as bad as before, but this is still partially an issue. Also this is the one time I'm actually wanting some level of animation lock: Make it so that we have to hit the DT slash first BEFORE we can actually move around. It's so easy to press any of the move buttons during the DT slash animation and your character just doesn't do the actual DT slash, meaning Flow Cost but no damage whatsoever. As soon as the hit number shows, then we should be able to move. 

Flow Stabilizer getting Fury over Stability is alright for me personally since we got Stability on DT, though I assume most people use it outside DT, hence why they consider it a massive nerf. I'm personally alright with Fury over Stability since this E-Spec pretty much makes Fury mandatory to make it feel warranted. If there's a way to add Stability back to Flow Stability without losing Fury, that would be the best option.

Finally, we need to get Lush Forest back to its original state. Bladesworn relies on ammunition as a whole, and to destroy the only thing that generates it passively was just the wrong way to go about it. Unless the Elite Skill gets its cooldown 20 seconds like Berserker's Headbutt, or maybe even 15 seconds for better ammunition management, the Gunsaber just suffers massively, along with all the Bladesworn's Utilities. 

Sigil of Vision means every single DT used has 100% crit, so what does Fury do for the spec? Stab is > Fury all days of the week with the Sigil, in fact we can run 0 Precision with Bladesworn and just need the other 2 stats and can run defensive third stat. That's why I preferred Stab and see it as a giant nerf, cause we don't need any crit to have 100% crit DT's. The issue now of course, is as compared to the previous beta, the damage has been nerfed hard that Bladesworn is just, less effective at everything. 
I only see this change as a nerf to Bladesworn in every way. It was too good apparently, Warrior was apparently getting too good of a spec, so they had to already nerf it before release instead of giving us ANYTHING that we have been asking for entirely ignoring most feedback. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Prince of Ravens.9415 said:

Seems like the swapping between Dragon Trigger and Gunsaber no longer counts as a weapon swap for sigils. I would like to echo the desire for direct swaps from regular weapons to Dragon Trigger and swapping back to the previous weapon after a dragon slash.

Ohhh wait really? Soooo Bladesworn got even more nerfed this update then I Realised. if we can't use Sigil of Vision anymore, HAH Bladesworn sucks now. Extremely long CD's, no decent buffs and nerfed damage and nerfed ways to reduce cd's, gg. 

1 minute ago, Gorem.8104 said:

Ohhh wait really? Soooo Bladesworn got even more nerfed this update then I Realised. if we can't use Sigil of Vision anymore, HAH Bladesworn sucks now. Extremely long CD's, no decent buffs and nerfed damage and nerfed ways to reduce cd's, gg. 

Yep, that's why I mentioned Fury on Flow Stability is fine right now, better if they actually make it with Stability in mind. They treat it as a bundle as opposed to a proper weapon swap (even got prompted that I couldn't drop the bundle when I was in the training area) so it's essentially killed Sigil of Vision. 

• Like 1

Just did testing with the bladesworn in PvE with the new changes and I have some new critiques as well as some of the same from the first beta:

1.  Dragon Trigger needs to be available on both weapons, not just when the Gunsaber is out. With the new change to Lush Forest you now have time to switch weapons but then you are locked out of Dragon Trigger now that you are no longer on the Gunsaber. So our choices are, sit on Gunsaber with little to do or switch weapons and lose out on Dragon Trigger coming off cd.
  2. The pushback from Dragon's Roar should be replaced. Putting your opponent more out of melee range just doesn't make sense with a primarily melee specialization. The Gunsaber has options for range and gap closers but those are more to react to your opponent kiting than you shooting yourself in the foot with this ability. It would be more interesting if Dragon's Roar applied a different effect based on the amount of ammo it contained. 1-3 would immobilize for 1-2s while 3-6 would Stun/Daze for 1-2s. This would allow time to set up your Dragon Trigger in both instances.
  3. Lush Forest will not be used with the new change. It was obvious because at the same time Fierce as Fire became a flat damage boost trait to compensate which is a poor band aid and will only cause more issues with the spec. My proposed change is that "The first round of ammo reduces the cd of Dragon Trigger and Tactical Reload by 1s (on a 1s internal cd)." Part of the reason that the previous Lush Forest was so powerful was the lack of any internal cd and the fact that it is easier to keep the ammo skills on 0 than it is to have them full. 
  4. If something near the above Lush Forest Change is made than the Fierce as Fire trait can go back to being an upfront damage in the form of burning. However, in order to be somewhat competitive with more Dragon Trigger's the ability should inflict fire per ammunition or charge on enemies it damages or applies conditions to. In this case, Dragon's Roar, Gunsaber Skills, and Dragon Trigger would now inflict burning with ease as well as most of the Utility Armament Skills. This would also allow more hybrid builds to possibly emerge creating greater diversity in the Bladesworn's capabilities. and you could call the trait...wait for it... Dragon-Breath Rounds!

Outside of these, I found the changes to the Dragon Trigger and the Grandmaster Traits a positive improvement for the Bladesworn as we near the release of End of Dragons. I can't wait to see everyone then!

Edited by Azanka Bobo.8145
  • Like 1

These changes overall were a massive step in the wrong direction. I'll start with the one good change. The Dragon Trigger change. Its nice. Makes it feel and play better, especially in PvP. The only issue is that it kinda reinforces the specs PvP state as "Dragon Trigger or bust", with the dragon trigger being the only powerful thing. But more on that later. 

The Lush Forest change. Well, here my issue is not with the concept. Lush Forest was kinda broken, and probably needed a nerf. But this was not the way to do it. With the Lush Forest change, the trait has become worthless. Its extremely narrow and the payoff is minimal. Its essentially a dead trait. Which also however means that the gameplay of Gunsaber got a lot worse, as now there is no CDR to let you use those traits more often. And boy does it feel worse. I would've preferred a change to make it only reduce Gunsaber and Armament skills to prevent the shout abuse. Maybe make it reduce by 0.75 seconds instead of a second.

Speaking of which, Gunsaber. It was bad. It somehow got worse. This weaponset is essentially the main weaponset of Bladesworn. The only way to actually go into Dragontrigger. But it just isnt good. The damage is low, the survivability is low, and it struggles to even hit enemies due to low range. With Lush Forest it at least had some value as you could spam Gunsaber 3 for alright poke, but now thats gone too. And ontop of that, Break Step, Gunsaber 5, which people had asked to be given evasion for, was instead nerfed *hard* to the point where the skill sucks. It moves slower, does no damage, often just doesnt even hit, and since it stops you in front of your enemy is now a lot worse for chasing. This weaponset feels a lot worse to play and is also a lot weaker. 

Dragon Trigger: Boost got nerfed for no reason. Boost and Reach still whiff or can be avoided much too easily by movement/jumping (in particular reach). Also, flow generation is very rough, to the point where it feels awful to use. Especially an issue in PvP, where since Gunsabre sucks, youre forced to rely on Dragon Trigger to be useful.

Overall, my suggestions are to revert the changes to breakstep and boost, make boost and reach track better and not be avoidable without evasion or blocking, improve the range on Gunsabre 2 and slightly increase damage, revert the Lush Forest change and nerf it in a different way, give Breakstep evasion, improve flow generation. Beyond that, pistol and the armaments largely dont feel worth using, but I dont know how to fix that, so no specific suggestions there.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Lighter.5631 said:

like what for example?

Will bender and catalyst were absolutely worse. I had >12 hours on willbender in first beta in competitive modes and ~18 hours on blade in the second, and blade was head and shoulders above willbender. Catalyst was like a needed core ele. The id say virtuoso is right about where blade was, if not a touch worse. 
Again, this is not to say blade was good, just that the EOD specs are horribly balanced and implemented relative to POF specs. 

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, felix.2386 said:

kinda funny how you think bladdesworn is good previous to this update and disagreed with threads saying its not until everybody starst saying it's not.

everybody with semi level of pvp experience and a brain agrees that bladesworn is the worst spec, with teapot and naru clipping saying bladesworn is worst on stream.

surely, your limited knowledge isnt giving any insight of what really happens in high end pvp where balance really matters, as most bot level gold rating people think thief is useless, yet it was always the most op class played properly in top level.

you are not optimistic..you simply lack the insight and not on level.

the update brings nothing for bladesworn in pvp, except the fact that it may be a bit more fluid to play. that's it. just from a completely unplayable garbage class to a kind of playable garbage class. 

there's currently no new e-spec which doesnt outclass bladesworn in pvp, if you actually read the note and play the game at a decent level and multi class.

I never would argue blade is good, I would argue I enjoyed it, and there’s a massive difference. Sorry if I have off the wrong impression. This is a point I will continue to argue because I do, in fact, enjoy bladesworn. And again, that does not mean it’s good. It needs serious improvements. The two are not exclusive. 
You are correct, I can’t say how it would perform in high end pvp because second beta locked unranked for beta characters. I also have stated multiple times that I spent most of my time dueling plat 2+ players and solo roaming in wvw. Time and time again I’ve stated that these are shortcomings of my view and frequently put that as a disclaimer when writing anything in depth. I’m sorry if you have missed those, I’ll aim to include them more frequently. 
As for what others say, they are free to have other opinions. I would argue catalyst and willbender were absolutely worse in their first iterations, and I don’t think anyone should be disagreeing with that. Catalyst is a decent but better this beta based on me fighting it (admittedly haven’t played it this beta), but will bender still seems to be markedly worse than blade. I’d also say virtuoso, in terms of effectiveness in the hands of a good Mesmer, was about on par with bladesworn. Again, you are free to disagree, and this is mostly limited to dueling Mesmer mains who are routinely plat 2-3. Anything beyond that scope is, indeed, beyond the scope of how I was able to test the spec. 
I would say that, after about 5 hours of duels and roaming on blade yesterday that you are somewhat correct in saying that they didn’t address a lot with blade. The damage is certainly better with the new Fierce as Fire, might per bullet, and faster charge, but the movement speed nerfs really hurt in creating space and kiting imo. I’d say the changes are a net positive, but would agree it needs some more adjustments/reversions of movement speed nerfs. However, I also think a lot of the shortcomings I’m having is from playing it suboptimally atm and see no reason that the effectiveness of the spec can’t increase with more play time. 
Hope you have a good day friendo, looking forward to your feedback for blade this beta, I like reading everyone’s different experiences 🙂 

• Confused 1

So i went back to my favourite spot for testing and had a blast again. With the new changes the class feels so much more responsive. I kinda miss the ability to oneshot veterans and elites a little due to the nerf but will take that for the shorter build up time always. With Sword/Pistol the flow skill and the traits that gives flow and stability on movement skill I kinda never had a problem to bring dragon slash through.

But would still advocate for acess to stance on the other weapon set ......

• Confused 3