DirectX 11 Graphics Issues

Windows 10 20H1

Core i5 9600KF not overclocked, 16GB of RAM

Gigabyte GTX 1660 SUPER, driver version 471.96

While the game appears smoother (possibly better frame times?), it suffers from random hitching and micro-freezing. I had to relog back to DX9 during a fractal run because every few seconds framerate would drop like Wile E. Coyote. It's so brief that you could miss it if you blinked your eyes at the same time, but it does screw up with your input, imagine if you're trying to quickly walk through a tight corridor but your clothes constantly get caught by hooks on the walls and you have to stop and untangle yourself.

This hitching appeared also in open world, mostly when simply looking around, and I was unable to trace it to a specific object or effect. Needs to be addressed, the issue doesn't appear in DX9 mode.

The Text issue being experienced on Windows 7 will be fixed in a future  build,

The developers were using D3DFMT_A4R4G4B4 with D3D9 for a certain texture and assumed that they could use DXGI_FORMAT_B4G4R4A4_UNORM as it is the DXGI implementation of this format.

But they did not realise at the time that it is not available to DXGI 1.1 devices which is the maximum for Windows 7 even if you have the the Platform update for Windows 7 SP1 installed, this format is not made available as the DXGI level remains at 1.1.

If anyone has experienced it on Windows 10, i can say its because they are on a D3D11 graphics card (Fermi/400/500) or equivalent radeon, the issue doesn't manifest on 8 or 10 for Kepler+ because it supports the required DXGI/D3D11.1 format, the fallback being implemented will likely work there too.

Edited by Squall Leonhart.2075
  • Like 1

Seeing consistent issue on Aetherblade (T4) fractal where at lasers or at bomb field everything stops loading. Have to restart the game. Most of the UI/graphics disappears, cannot even see text I type etc/menu. Saw this week of Oct 5.

Also saw this issue today (Oct 9) on Mai Trin T4 fractal during the Mai Trin fight (closer to 25%)

Restarting fixed issue one time, other time didn't (stuff disappeared again) so had to check off Directx11

Windows 10/Ryzen 5600/Nvidia 3060/16Gb RAM

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 1:18 PM, Dawdler.8521 said:

I've begun noticing an issue that only seem to be in WvW for me: A kind of black screen frame skip. It's like running in 60 fps and the game inserts 1 black frame. It's on random and can go minutes between it happening. I cant see it in PvE for some reason.

Just wondering if anyone has seen the same or if I'm hallucinating, lol.

Yea I've seen that. But only on my desktop and never on my laptop.

Besides the many BgfxBuffer.cpp game crashes I am getting since Tuesday's patch (one this morning in WvW), the graphics glitches are also back (but take longer now to occur - 2 hours for me this morning in WvW):

https://i.imgur.com/k3JQXKB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tLFzn0B.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fVNZc7V.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1n2yVkC.jpg

Edited by Ashantara.8731

Haven't really had any issues with DX11 so far other than this... 

https://imgur.com/a/MGjvNjG

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor     3.70 GHz

Video Card:  Gigabyte RX5700XT AMD software version 21.9.2

Installed RAM: 16.0 GB
Operating System: Windows 10  64-bit

In game location: Arcana Obscura (instance)  LW2Chap8

Was attempting to talk to Ogden Stonehealer. Everything was fine until I went down the spiral staircase.  Then everything glitched and I had to close the game.  Tried it a second time, just to be sure.  Then did it again with DX11 off.  No issues with DX9. 

Edited by Slyde.3961

Today I tested the DX11 for the third time since beta launch. The same problems are still there. When i dismounted in the Guild Hall, immediately the ground texture changed to black, and sometimes red. So... back to DX9 again >.>

And also, now the wardrobe preview is glitched. Changing dye colour on one armour piece will change all armours to that same colour on the preview panel when you click confirm.

Edited by Mil.3562

In Aetherblade and Mai Trin fractals my UI glitches out as well as the graphics, most of the things on the screen disappears and sometimes flickers, the party chat is not visible and I can't see any windows when I try to open them with keybinds. The only I could fix this was force shut GW2 and go back to DX9.

• Like 2

Can't find if anyone discussed this. But only issue I have had after clearing cache is ascended food trays at events sometimes coming out wild colours. Last night was as red as the reply button on here, sometimes black or orange. Also the dragon bash event node in my friends instance. The wooden frame often doesn't show up the right colour, sometimes black, also seen it purple and other colours I think red.

Small issues but I can't see anyone mentioning them.

On 10/9/2021 at 10:21 PM, Gimli.9461 said:

Seeing consistent issue on Aetherblade (T4) fractal where at lasers or at bomb field everything stops loading. Have to restart the game. Most of the UI/graphics disappears, cannot even see text I type etc/menu. Saw this week of Oct 5.

Also saw this issue today (Oct 9) on Mai Trin T4 fractal during the Mai Trin fight (closer to 25%)

Restarting fixed issue one time, other time didn't (stuff disappeared again) so had to check off Directx11

Windows 10/Ryzen 5600/Nvidia 3060/16Gb RAM

oh I thought this was just me cause I haven't seen anyone else report the same issue.  same thing happened to me last night in Mai Trin fractal. so far Aetherblade and Mai Trin are the only 2 ones that do this for me.

• Like 1

i was playing in the old laptop. Is it only me that locked into windowed fullscreen on dx11 ? even i changed the resolution to fullscreen in any ratio it still give me windowed fullscreen.

sure dx11 give more visual improvement on texture and visual effect

but about the fps dx11 has less 20 fps than dx9 with the same graphic setup. somehow it still locked to vsync ? (pretty sure yes cus locked in windowed fullscreen)

i5- 4200H

gtx 765m

1 hour ago, gehry.9742 said:

i was playing in the old laptop. Is it only me that locked into windowed fullscreen on dx11 ? even i changed the resolution to fullscreen in any ratio it still give me windowed fullscreen.

sure dx11 give more visual improvement on texture and visual effect

but about the fps dx11 has less 20 fps than dx9 with the same graphic setup. somehow it still locked to vsync ? (pretty sure yes cus locked in windowed fullscreen)

i5- 4200H

gtx 765m

Yea, I'm hoping they'll add back exclusive fullscreen mode so we can claw back some of our frames.

Edit: upon further reading, it appears BGFX doesn't support exclusive fullscreen yet...

Edited by firewire.4813
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was using DX11 beta daily since the release last month with only seldom in-game crashes, which seemed to stabilize if I lowered the animation settings to the lowest.  Performance-wise, I was consistently getting slightly improved FPS and with running slightly higher graphic settings with the DX11 rendering beta on my old Alienware 13 R2 laptop (note that I can't run at highest settings with this old laptop, but most settings could still  be tuned up with DX11).

Tonight (Tue Oct 13) was a different story.  In the morning, everything was as normal, but in the evening (EST), I was getting a crash on login that I never saw before "Exception c0000005 Memory At address 00000000 000000000 could not be read....".  I started troubleshooting the wrong way using old developer notes, none of which worked (i.e., I tried the .exe with each of -repair, -dx9, -windowed), cleared the GW folder in the temp cache, did a clean boot from msconfig disabling all non-Microsoft services on startup and disabled other excess tasks from task manager) and none of these incremental changes would get me to the character selection screen as the crash window with the above message would pop up immediately after initiating 'play' on the login menu.

The only way I could surpass this was to  run my PC off same mode - network, and this allowed me to start up the game with the normal .exe file.  While graphics and performance is completely shot in safe mode, at least I was able to login now and change the settings, which I promptly turned off DX11 (and set to windowed to fullscreen).  I believe a developer had made some post to this earlier, but I just want to note that this error is new to me as I had not encountered over the last few weeks of DX11 beta testing (and I login everyday), and because it occurs right at the login screen, this may actually prevent testers to enter the game if their settings was already at DX11.  Hopefully this gets patched up as I did not have this issue prior to today

33 minutes ago, apache.1958 said:

Tonight (Tue Oct 13) was a different story.  In the morning, everything was as normal, but in the evening (EST), I was getting a crash on login that I never saw before "Exception c0000005 Memory At address 00000000 000000000 could not be read....".  I started troubleshooting the wrong way using old developer notes, none of which worked (i.e., I tried the .exe with each of -repair, -dx9, -windowed), cleared the GW folder in the temp cache, did a clean boot from msconfig disabling all non-Microsoft services on startup and disabled other excess tasks from task manager) and none of these incremental changes would get me to the character selection screen as the crash window with the above message would pop up immediately after initiating 'play' on the login menu.

The only way I could surpass this was to  run my PC off same mode - network, and this allowed me to start up the game with the normal .exe file.  While graphics and performance is completely shot in safe mode, at least I was able to login now and change the settings, which I promptly turned off DX11 (and set to windowed to fullscreen).  I believe a developer had made some post to this earlier, but I just want to note that this error is new to me as I had not encountered over the last few weeks of DX11 beta testing (and I login everyday), and because it occurs right at the login screen, this may actually prevent testers to enter the game if their settings was already at DX11.  Hopefully this gets patched up as I did not have this issue prior to today

Are you running Windows 7 on that laptop? (As some W7 users reported issues with GW2.)

Do you have automatic updates enabled, and if so, was there a Windows Update that day (or the night before) after which the problem started to occur?

Also, just to make sure it's not a hardware issue, I suggest you scan your memory for errors, and to be on the safe side, run a disk check as well.

7 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Are you running Windows 7 on that laptop? (As some W7 users reported issues with GW2.)

Do you have automatic updates enabled, and if so, was there a Windows Update that day (or the night before) after which the problem started to occur?

Also, just to make sure it's not a hardware issue, I suggest you scan your memory for errors, and to be on the safe side, run a disk check as well.

I’m running Windows 10 (old laptop can’t run Windows 11 yet).

I ran the game with DX11 beta enabled and I had no issues in the morning until I consistently failed to login in the evening.  I checked my Windows update log and there was no update ran between those times.

I ran the memory scan suggested.  No errors detected.  Chkdsk on my C drive (my hard drive is not partitioned) came up clean too.  If there is something corrupted, it’s not showing in those logs.

Note that I am able to login and play the game after I reverted back to DX11 beta turned off.  I did toggle it back on once to recreate the error upon re-logging, and sure enough, it crashes on the login after clicking ‘play’.  It’s not something I plan to repeat all that often as it requires me to reboot in safe mode before I can login to the game again and change the settings back to DX11 disabled under settings.  Then I reboot my pc again and can play but with the original DX9 settings.  It’s unusual as I didn’t have this issue with DX11 enabled until yesterday, and while those update and memory checks make sense to me, they didn’t yield any errors reported on my end.  I’ll try this same set of tests after the next patch that includes various DX11 fixes, because I had pretty good performance experience in the beta when it was working.

I should also note that running the .exe with “-“-dx9” in the target didn’t seem to work last night during my testing as I would still crash at the login.  I thought this was supposed to use the normal version, but for some reason it crashes just like when DX11 is enabled.

6 hours ago, apache.1958 said:

I should also note that running the .exe with “-“-dx9” in the target didn’t seem to work last night during my testing as I would still crash at the login.

That's because the syntax is wrong. It should be:

"C:\Games\Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe" -dx9

(with "C:\Games\Guild Wars 2\" being merely an example of your possible install location)

On 10/12/2021 at 10:22 AM, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

We’re continuing to track issues with the DX11 beta and work on fixes. The next game update will include a fix for the issue that’s causing the purple blur in your text boxes. Thank you all for continuing to report issues!

Yay ty very much!

On 10/12/2021 at 10:22 AM, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

We’re continuing to track issues with the DX11 beta and work on fixes. The next game update will include a fix for the issue that’s causing the purple blur in your text boxes. Thank you all for continuing to report issues!

This is great, finally get to beta test and report bugs and offer constructive feedback.

On 10/10/2021 at 4:03 AM, Slyde.3961 said:

Haven't really had any issues with DX11 so far other than this... 

https://imgur.com/a/MGjvNjG

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor     3.70 GHz

Video Card:  Gigabyte RX5700XT AMD software version 21.9.2

Installed RAM: 16.0 GB
Operating System: Windows 10  64-bit

In game location: Arcana Obscura (instance)  LW2Chap8

Was attempting to talk to Ogden Stonehealer. Everything was fine until I went down the spiral staircase.  Then everything glitched and I had to close the game.  Tried it a second time, just to be sure.  Then did it again with DX11 off.  No issues with DX9. 

Same issue here. Exactly the same. In Arcana Obsura as well trying to complete the return to X achievements. Restarted several times. Switched graphics cards. "repaired" gw2 and we all know how long that takes. Thought for sure it couldn't possibly be Dx11 because I'd turned it off due to the game crashes "an error has occurred" causing me to repeatedly have to reenter queue for wvw, or sit out a raid boss while the rest of the group finished it. But sure enough, I checked again, turned off Dx11 (no idea how it got turned back on) and have had no issues (other that the typical kitten framerate) since.