DirectX 11 Graphics Issues

58 minutes ago, Tren.5120 said:

The Telemetry from Windows 10 was backported to Windows 7-8.1 and delivered via Windows update, so chances are you have it even if you're using that ancient OS.  There is literally no reason to stay on "New XP," and games will start dropping support for it.  Even drivers are going to start dropping support, soon.

In any case, issue doesn't present itself on my machine, with a Radeon 5700 XT running the latest AMD drivers.  I haven't tried on my laptop with Nvidia, but there are a lot of older Nvidia cards being featured in these "reports."  It's possible that it may be disproportionately affecting GTX/RTX users.

I don't have this problem either and I probably have one of the oldest gpu around- gtx 680 4gb, its supports up to dx12.

This is a new pc I built that's running  windows 11 beta, just used my old gpu cause of prices at the moment.. Ill get a new gpu eventually. I'm going to have to say this a software or driver problem

Windows 7 supports DX11 but only partially supports DX11.1 

i5 - 11400

ram 16gb

M.2 NVMe SSD

gtx 680 4gb

windows 11 beta

Sofar, I have only minor issues with graphics. I see at times missing textures (which show up as just red). Workaround that is to set your Texture settings from high to low to back high again. This will correctly load the textures back in.

I also miss Drakkar's shadow when he is swimming in the ice. I also notice that the red or green outline is gone when hovering over an enemy or ally, and that the object glows. In some instance a big glowing transparant box appears.

It occurs to me when reading the forums that the most problems are with people working on Windows 7 and having generally bit older hardware.

I have an i7 10700KF

3080RTX

32GB of ram

M.2 NVMe SSD

Windows 10

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tren.5120 said:

The Telemetry from Windows 10 was backported to Windows 7-8.1 and delivered via Windows update, so chances are you have it even if you're using that ancient OS.  There is literally no reason to stay on "New XP," and games will start dropping support for it.  Even drivers are going to start dropping support, soon.

In any case, issue doesn't present itself on my machine, with a Radeon 5700 XT running the latest AMD drivers.  I haven't tried on my laptop with Nvidia, but there are a lot of older Nvidia cards being featured in these "reports."  It's possible that it may be disproportionately affecting GTX/RTX users.

First, glad you do not suffer from the bugs others have.  It is good to hear that some configs don't see issues.

It is "disproportionately affecting GTX/RTX users" because most people use Nvidia cards. According to the most recent poll data from Steam (March 2020 - August 2021), about 77% of their gaming market is Nvidia, and only 14% in AMD. And to make those numbers even more bleak, Intel has a smidge over 8%, which means that those AMD 14% includes iGPU numbers, not just discreet cards like Nvidia numbers. 

I would find it rather hard to believe this MMO community is far off those numbers.

Whole party had severe graphical weirdness (party text stopped displaying, most of ui stopped displaying, no skills, etc) on Artherblade T4 at reset+2ish hours, at the laser sweepers room at at boss both. Turning off dx11 and restarting client cleared it up.

Win11 + RTX3070 on current drivers and I experienced it.

Edited by ilkhan.7821

Adding in to reports of hilariously severe display weirdness in fractals. This run didn't go so well when I suddenly lost all skill bar, almost every model, etc. Even the escape menu was MIA; I had to alt-F4 out and relaunch. It happened a second time after with similar graphical weirdness, at which point I switched back to DX9 default and the rest of running fractals went normally.

https://imgur.com/a/9FqSq9J

In Lily of the Elon lounge (only place I've seen this happen) the screen suddenly goes so dark I almost can't see any objects. It's happened 3 times in 5-6 hours of play time, so it's very uncommon. Client restart makes problem go away. Other than this glitch I'm THRILLED with the DX11 quality! The last time I was in windowed fullscreen mode...I will see if it happens in fullscreen 3440x1440 which is what I normally run.

- i7-8700k processor

- 32GB RAM

- 1080-ti graphics card

Windows 10 Home version and all drivers current 

Edited by Meam.2587
fix typo

10 minutes ago, Meam.2587 said:

The last time I was in windowed fullscreen mode...I will see if it happens in fullscreen 3440x1440 which is what I normally run.

DX11 doesnt seem to have fullscreen, or something wonky is going on. I have mine set to 1440p fullscreen and its definetly windowed fullscreen (easy tell, I can have windows on top). Flipping it back and forth did nothing to change it.

56 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

DX11 doesnt seem to have fullscreen, or something wonky is going on. I have mine set to 1440p fullscreen and its definetly windowed fullscreen (easy tell, I can have windows on top). Flipping it back and forth did nothing to change it.

That is similar to what I reported.... though it is also not windowed fullscreen as the Windows task bar at the bottom does disappear when you are actively in game. When you try to switch to another running program (like a browser to look at the wiki) the bottom of the game screen is actually pushed behind the Windows task bar, which is not normal for any windowed fullscreen program.

1 hour ago, DemonAtTheWheel.1804 said:

That is similar to what I reported.... though it is also not windowed fullscreen as the Windows task bar at the bottom does disappear when you are actively in game. When you try to switch to another running program (like a browser to look at the wiki) the bottom of the game screen is actually pushed behind the Windows task bar, which is not normal for any windowed fullscreen program.

That's actually exactly how windowed fullscreen always works. The task bar is only visible in basic windowed mode (notice, that windowed mode with window maximized to the full screen size is not the same)

Okay, so the severe texture, shadows and effects bug seems to be occuring only in WvW for me:
https://imgur.com/a/TJH4Prc
Unfortunately I didn't manage to capture the severe display bug of some legendaries (like Nevermore) and their footfalls (squared with funny patterns).

Perhaps the whole thing is a "group content" related issue? The more people in your proximity the more issues?

I had one crash to desktop after getting a DX11 error that disappeared almost as soon as it happened.  Restarted game, and it has run well ever since.  Not sure what happened as there was no report screen or other info.

I run on almost all older hardware:

Intel i7 4770K 3.5ghz no OC

DDR3-1866 16gb

RTX 2070 super

970 pro ssd

Asus Z-97 Pro mobo

Corsair R850 psu

I use  a 55" Samsung 4k tv as a monitor.  I run the game @3840x2160 full screen and graphics settings maxed.  Windows 10 Home 64bit and fully up to date.  Nvidia drivers up to date also.

To those having crash issues, you might want to check what software/programs are running in the background while playing.  Such as anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall software other than the windows defaults.  These will sometimes interfere with games.  There are some other issues between GW2 and windows that have been around since it launched.  I will cover the main one here.

When the game launched it would install to (Program Files x86 )for the 32bit client of the time.  Later 64bit client would install to (Program Files).  It was discovered that installing the game in those folders sometimes caused issues with client updates and other things.  The fix back then, and still today, is to install the game to it's own folder on your main drive.  I've been running the game this way for years now with only rare hiccups.

Hope this helps someone.

I tried the DX11 beta, but my gamma was way dark.  Moving the gamma slider had no affect whatsoever.  Changed back to DX9, and since my gamma slider was way to the right, everything was washed out.  Put it back where it normally sits. 

Only adding that part to say the slider works, just not when DX11 is active. 

Win10 GTX 1050 i5-8300H

On 9/21/2021 at 6:27 PM, drmadison.1385 said:

Kind of harsh given it's EXPLICITELY labeled as Beta...

Having some weird model issues here. Order of Shadows agent rocking the straight magenta in Destiny's Gorge...

https://imgur.com/a/exxyVWU

Not really.. Direct x11 is not apparently supported on Win 7. If the game no longer conforms to my ability to continue playing, why would I bother to continue paying for it? The crashing over the camera turning bug with Dx11 is something that can be fixed, but my wife's comp runs 7 and she doesn't wanna upgrade her comp's OS. Her GPU is still good and CPU as well. Handles GW2 wonderfully. If there's not an option for me to play with my wife anymore over a choice they can easily accommodate, why would I want to continue giving them my money when I can just as easily take it literally over to any other game out there? many of which her system will have NO trouble running at all.

I tested it out for a bit.  I didn't have any of the issues that have been reported here, but it did slow my game down a few times (the sandstorm in Dry Top and the snowstorm in Bitterfrost, mostly.)  It feels like my camera can spin around my character much easier, so much easier that it's almost distracting.  I didn't really see any extra features or graphical wow to justify using it, but I'll try a bit more and see if I can see any. (I normally run at ultra-high graphics setting though, and that may be the cause of the slow-downs I mentioned and my not noticing new graphic elements from DX11)