DirectX 11 Graphics Issues

Adding a little bit more detail to the input lag / mouse lag issue:

Currently DX11 and DX9 handle the mouse differently, and that's why the workaround for turning off V-sync doesn't work. In DX9, the mouse is independent of the framerate if you're in Windowed Fullscreen. So in DX9, your cursor moves the same way it does outside of the game. The game can be choking hard and taking 2 seconds to render a frame and yet I can still smoothly move the mouse. 

Regular fullscreen has the mouse slow down with the framerate in both DX9 and DX11. Also in DX11 the mouse slows down with the framerate even in Windowed Fullscreen regardless of the status of V-Sync. This is a problem because it makes aiming at menu items a little difficult and keeping track of your cursor even more difficult. I've been missing ground targeted skills A LOT in DX11.

If you look at other games like The Witcher 3, there is an option called Hardware Cursor that fixes this.

I'm sure this will get fixed.

Edited by DarkWasp.7291
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Icuhtnurh.9146 said:

So then they just need to fix the rainbowing issue? everything I read on the issue was showing it was a Win 7 problem speciffically with no ability to fix due to lack of support. Least there's a shot at it here hehe. Pretty big issue tho, tbh.

Yea, there's some graphical issues with Win7. I played for a little while with DX11 enabled (tie-dye text and all) and haven't crashed yet. Let's give them some time to fix the issue.

Edited by firewire.4813

Interesting rather odd issue I just discovered..... not certain if it is a fluke or reproducible on other systems.

A little background. In Windows 10, as many of you know, next to the windows/start button there is an icon that looks like lines and boxes. When you mouse-over this menu item it states "task view". This button will allow you to basically "zoom out" and see tiled list of all program windows you currently have running. This is fairly similar to what you see holding ALT and using TAB to cycle through your windows, though it displays other information as well. It also has an option to add a desktop. Similar to the Linux world, Windows 10 allows a user to have multiple desktops with different applications open in each.

I normally maintain 2 Windows desktops, one with everything I am using, and another that I can drop to with the Task Manager running so I can easily kill a hung not responding program that has captured the screen.... sadly something that happens with Guild Wars client about once every six weeks.

When I run the DX11 beta, which as established earlier only works in windowed mode, it is actually printing the game client to BOTH desktops. Almost as if I was running dial monitors and wanted the full screen duplicated on both, though I only run a single monitor.

DX9 client in windowed mode does NOT do this.

Okay, had my first blazing green ground textures in the Crystal Desert after doing a bounty (i.e., after the presence of other players).

It does seem related to crowds vs. roaming a region solo.

I hope it can be fixed soon or I will be switching back to DX9 for the time being.

1 hour ago, YtseJam.9784 said:

Today's update (120,060) PoF Guild Hall seems like an epic battle went on and all the floor is covered in blood...

https://i.imgur.com/hGSo6UM.jpg

I had that effect in WvW earlier. Also, the Armistice Bastion has light-red tiles instead of the usual light-brown.

Edited by Ashantara.8731

https://imgur.com/a/SXeJDT3

i7 6700, 32GB DDR4, game installed on SSD, EVGA RTX 2060 Super, latest drivers.

So far, I've only seen issues in the Fractal waiting room.

On the plus side, I can now roam Mistlock Sanctuary without GW2 pushing my GPU to max clock and failing to hold 60fps. To all the nay-sayers, this is a significant improvement from the client trying to brute-force the rendering thread.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 11:25 AM, Fedexer.2486 said:

Speaking of me, I don't have any graphical issue at all. But I have a huge problem with fps and input lag:

Basically the game had the max fps at 60 instead of 63 and that might not be seen as a problem, but when fps drops the input lag become huge. I can move a window in game with mouse and drawing a circle and the window has some difficulties follow the cursor, it is like in slow motion. Also fps drops randomly at exactly 30fps  (not 31 or 29), but it become unplayable because when I change camera position it happens most of the time. Even in the character creation screen, if I move the character there is the input lag even at 60fps.

Another weird example is that sometimes animations goes in slow motion and then double the normal velocity for a second or two, and finally back to normal.

I was thinking that was a problem related to vertical sync, even though in-game the option was off. I use Nvidia card, so I went to control panel, 3d settings and tried to forcing turning it off. And it is better, but still sometimes it isn't off. Randomly the v-sync turn it on and the input lag become clear again. It happens like every 10 minutes or so. I can see the solution is by turning off the v-sync but I am not able to do it permanently. For now I'm going back to Dx9.

i5 8400 4.0Ghz - 8GB RAM - GTX 1050 2gb

So I would like to say that I've solved my problem of input lag, I don't know if it was fixed with the latest update of today.

Basically I went to nvidia control panel as before, 3d settings but instead of going in the tab "Program setting" and selecting gw2-64.exe you have to go into the "Global settings" and you look for Vertical Sync option and you put "disabled" and apply. Of course the vertical sync option in-game have also to be disabled, and put the game in full screen. To me it solved the problem, now vertical sync isn't no more actived at random when playing (even though I have more or less the same fps of dx9, but loading of models are faster in dx11). You will know if you correctly disabled the vertical sync if you see in the game settings that fps are capped to 63 instead of 60.

Still would like to see an update for fixing the gamma not working, at the moment I'm calibrating the gamma with the monitor settings every time I open gw2, thank you for your work.

Edited by Fedexer.2486

First one, it's only happened to me once, the technicolor Asura gate.

Second one, some odd planes on these plants.

Third, and no picture for this one, but it's happened several times, the particle effects on my Shrine Guardian jackal skin would at one point change to the default red from whatever I had them set as. I've only noticed this after being in Jahai for a while, they were the correct color on entering the zone, and changing zones fixed it. Confirmed with a player on dx9 that they were seeing the color I had it set as, and could see their Shrine Guardian jackal with red particles, while it looked normal to them.

I'm playing windowed fullscreen, got the latest drivers for my card.

dxdiag info:
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19042) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16322MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DirectX Database Version: 1.0.8
DxDiag Version: 10.00.19041.0928 64bit Unicode
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Display Memory: 16248 MB
Dedicated Memory: 8088 MB
Shared Memory: 8160 MB
Current Mode: 3840 x 2160 (32 bit) (60Hz)

DX11 breaks the appearance of Chaos Gloves.

This is DX11:

https://i.imgur.com/sJFb6MY.jpg

This is DX9 of the same character, although in the character select screen:

https://i.imgur.com/TjrVVFT.jpg

EDIT: System:

i9 10980XE, RTX2080Ti, NVidia drivers 472.12, the very latest

Edited by Steve The Cynic.3217
  • Like 1

With DX11 if you have blurry text or worse, exit gw2, set your desktop to the same resolution you use for gw2 then try it again.  It appears that DX11 doesn't actually change the video card resolution when you change it in game.  I can't take the credit for this as someone else came up with the idea of setting your desktop to what you use in game:  https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/102189-dx11-resolution-switching-kind-of-bug-report/

I have noticed some pretty strange graphical bugs while playing WvW:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/564566908528099446/891076737528631356/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/564566908528099446/891073476314693632/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/564566908528099446/891074088913735710/unknown.png

Also, some skins have the wrong color. The Glitched Adventure Greatsword is supposed to looks blue, but it's greenish with DX11.

Win 10, Raden RX 5700XT

Edited by fabian.3269

hello when starting this mission living world season 2 chapter 5 https://i.imgur.com/iextfyX.png the dwarf only showed me the dialog window without the text i can continue with the mission because it allows me to give the options even if the text was not there and at the end of the chapter the map came out show me this whit dx11 https://i.imgur.com/wHVLZnI.jpeg

Edited by Guillejhin.8964
incomplet

17 hours ago, Spartacus.3192 said:

anyone know why dx11 still barely uses much of GPU? i have an i7-8750H cpu and GTX 1060 GPU. I was using d912pxy which makes some use of my GPU, but dx11 doesnt seem to do much of that.

(I have disabled d912pxy)

Because, as I've told many people that also used the dx9x12 proxy.. actual, in-engine code meant to take advantage of the new features is always going to be a LOT more efficient than a third-party wrapper. A lot of the things done by the engine in DX9 alone were brute-forced (hence 2x-2.5x more GPU usage in DX9) because the engine itself hadn't gotten an update in a long while (compare how the game runs now vs how it was at early release.. like barely able to hit 30fps even on quiet maps (aka less than 50 people on it)).

Considering the core of the GW2 engine is an update of an update of an update of code that began it's life in the days of DirectX7 and single-core CPU's and when 512MB of system memory was considered excessive.. this DX11 update is fairly impressive, regardless of the bugs.

Edit: Speaking of bugs, I'm getting some black screen flickering when moving between certain points of the map in the cave of Siren's Reef. I suspect it has to do with some kind of loading barrier for when the ship at the end is within rendering range.

Edited by LiveFyre.3186
  • Like 1