DirectX 11 Graphics Issues

44 minutes ago, inbadplace.7329 said:

From that page:

"With the release of Windows 10, we added Fullscreen Optimizations – which takes full screen exclusive games and runs them instead in a highly optimized borderless windowed format that takes up the entire screen."

Later they give solution how to disable it for specific game but in case of GW2 it doesn't fix the issue.  Even with “Disable Fullscreen Optimizations" option turned on in Compatibility tab - game still runs in windowed borderless instead of true full screen.

Again - this is not the issue with DX9 renderer - that's why I put post about it here in beta graphics issue thread.

If I select "Full Screen - 2560x1080" in DX9 mode - game is running at that exact resolution with crisp UI.

I'm pretty sure it's GW2 issue with how they implemented fullscreen things on their end because I'm not having this issue in any other game like Cyberpunk 2077 and Pathfinder Wrath I'm playing right now.

This has nothing to do with win10 fullscreen optimisations. The game is just doing internal bilinear upscaling from lower resolutions to the monitor's native resolution. Your monitor's aspect ratio doesn't matter. The game is doing this at 1080p displays as well. The lower the resolution you set the more unsharp the image becomes. 900p @ 1080p is slightly unsharp and 720p @ 1080p is a blurry mess.

I've the same issue (and I guess everyone has) and experimented a bit with OS and driver related settings like disabling fullscreen optimisations in windows and disabling gpu scaling in the gpu driver. You can not get rid of this issue.

Btw.: I am using an AMD gpu. Since you have Nvidia hardware it is obviously also not a gpu vendor (=driver) issue.

That's quite a fail from ANet. All modern gpus (even from Intel) support integer scaling which means you get a clear image when upscaling from 1920x1080 to 3840x2160 or 1280x720 to 2560x1440 or like in your case from 2560x1080 to 5120x2160 to safe gpu performance. Their upscaling destroys this.

Edited by KrHome.1920
  • Thanks 1

The 3D Screenshots under DX11 (CTRL+Print) are not working (no save message and no file is saved).

After using CTRL+Print once, the normal screenshots stop working too.

Under DX9 3D screenshots work without problem and using them doesn't break the normal screenshot function.

Can we please just fix dx11 for triple monitors first? The menus like guild chat and mini map are on the left and right screen when running dx11 mode. In dx9 mode they are on the center monitor. When they are not on the center monitor it is extremely difficult to play. Thanks.

Edited by squallaus.8321
  • Thanks 1

Tried this again - after I had problems months ago when the beta first was enabled. (Visual problems with the UI and needed to disable it again with a command-line option - to get into the game.)

It seems performance-wise the loading (old computer) to log in from char selection to a map ... felt much better/faster. Also closing the game. (Less stuff in memory to "free" when closing the game?)

What I noticed though: I did not change anything at my resolution or UI settings but at the car selection all my 11 char slots (9 used, 2 empty) were visible. Before that I only could see 10 (without DX11). Ingame the UI felt "smaller". As if I had a bigger overall resolution or a smaller UI size.

(Changhing the UI size did not change anything at the char selection screen though. But ingame from normal to "large" felt more like what I had seen before with DX11 disabled and "normal" as setting.)

Not a big deal - this can be changed as needed.

Main problem though - I do not know if it needs anti-aliasing enabled or other stuff (have this disabled on my old machine): The UI text seems blurred - still possible to read compared to DX9 (DX11 beta disabled). I prefer the sharper and clean text borders of the DX9.

I am at 1440x900 resolution. (Yeah old computer. Small screen - but it is enough for me.) Windows 7 and the hardware barely meets the minimum requirements. 😄

Edit: On 2nd thought ... and checking again with screens ... it does not look blurred. Felt just a bit weird too me - cause the UI has different sizing and is smaller (and therefore harder to see). Might need to play around with different UI size settings (the larger ones) to find the one that best suits me.

Actually the "larger" (biggest possible!) with DX11 seems as close as possible as I can get to the looks with "normal" UI size and DX9. The "Large" one looking good as well - just needs time to get used. I guess I will try that one.

Maybe a fee more options there would be nice - now that DX11 makes the "normal" setting look much smaller. (Normal too small for ma taste at least at keeping the current resolution and for the buttons at the very bottom - logout, world selectoin and stuff.)

I have 4 screens. 1 with my normal settings in DX9. (normal UI size) - then 3 for DX11 beta enabled with the UI at normal (now too small) and then "larger" (close to the normal in DX9) and "large" (still smaller than normal in DX9 but I could get used to that).

DX9, normal UI size: https://i.imgur.com/OgN6ZC4.jpg
DX11 beta, normal UI size: https://i.imgur.com/3oawiBw.jpg
DX11 beta, "larger" UI size: https://i.imgur.com/rH181Ef.jpeg
DX11 beta, "large" UI size: https://i.imgur.com/Ul3m7es.jpeg

Have not tried the DPI scaling option yet - I think that one is related to text stuff as well.

Edit2: Staying at DX9 for now. On the screen it looks different a bit ... than actually in the game. And ingame it feels still weird/blurred with the text. Would prefer if the text looked identically to DX9. Larger UI size actually feels more blurred and the smaller (normal) one too small now that the normal setting has gotten a lot smaller with DX11.

Edited by Luthan.5236

Now I'm hoping they fix the DX11 issue before moving DX11 out of beta. When you walk through grass, currently with DX11 it does not move, with DX9 it did.  Also with DX11 the sun is more white than it used to be compared to using DX9. With DX9 it was a bit more yellow. 

Edited by Tony.8659
  • Like 2

I recently bought a new pc and I've encountered bug with the camera using DX11 that I have never experienced before. Basically, the camera zooms in and out while moving at high speed on a roller beetle or griffon. I have made a comparison video with and without DX11 so you can see what it does: https://youtu.be/hrlUp4qXO_E

It seems to only happen near the edge of guild hall maps. I have tried other maps and the camera is perfectly fine. The camera is fine even in parts of the track in the video closer to the centre of the guild hall.

My PC specs are:
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x 12-core

- Graphics Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming OC LHR 10GB (driver version 512.59)

- Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2

- RAM: Team T-Force Delta RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz CL18 DDR4 Black

Edited by Pingu.6871

On 4/28/2022 at 5:57 PM, MithranArkanere.8957 said:

Is anyone else seeing cobwebs dyed murky green instead the usual grayish white?

Nope.

On 4/28/2022 at 5:13 AM, Tony.8659 said:

Now I'm hoping they fix the DX11 issue before moving DX11 out of beta. When you walk through grass, currently with DX11 it does not move, with DX9 it did.  Also with DX11 the sun is more white than it used to be compared to using DX9. With DX9 it was a bit more yellow. 

👍

• 2 weeks later...

I turned DX11 on today for the first time in a while, and since then I've had 2 crashes (which for me is very unusual). Both times the whole screen went black and the entire computer was unresponsive (even ctrl+alt+del didn't work). I could also hear the fans on my graphics card running very loudly. I had to use the power button on the PC to shut it off and restart it because nothing else would work.

My PC specs (if I've missed anything important please let me know):
Processor: Intel i5-4670
Graphics card: Radeon RX480 (Drive version 21.50.21.11)

I don't know if it really was the morphing of refresh rates into default mode.
but that week i did lose a ton of good hardware performance, and i'm not sure why,

so i will list it under potential dx11 bugs:
its almost like a lag-delay bug , buttons consistently aren't responding fast enough, mesmer blink/jaunt has a long delay before reaching location, etc.
anyway its really weird that i had to mention it and strange too as i had amazing performance at EoD release, but in the past 2 weeks it floundered.

edit:     with ryzen 7 & gigabyte navi / lpx corsair ram
but i think its just with the game, not especially my system as other things seemed okay, but i will check more

Edited by Jozeiax.8465
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

When you transition between areas with different LUT effects, e.g. swimming out of water or walking over some of the bridges in Destiny's Gorge I get at least one corrupt frame flashing on the screen.

It doesn't seem to be affected by driver versions or Win 10 editions, both on my RX 6800 XT and GTX 1080 Ti equipped systems.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is a dx11 bug in which some postprocessing effects are not applying to the image. I took some screenshots showing the difference between the dx9 version and the dx11 version:

• Example #1:   Dx9 - Dx11 - At the grotto in Dragon's End

• Example #2:   Dx9 - Dx11

• Example #3:   Dx9 - Dx11 - Void's reality distortion

• Example #4:   Dx9 - Dx11

• Example #5:   Dx9 - Dx11

Also, the postprocessing effect used while underwater in the Dragon's End map remains in the image even after resurfacing: before  -  after

Note: I've reported this on a separate thread without knowing this one existed, but I think it fits here, in case that is how the dev team looks for DX11-related bugs. LINK

Edited by Kilty.4906
grammar
  • Like 1

Oddly, I haven't really run into any truly game-breaking issues with DX11 since it came out, other than the weird texture colour glitch that has since been fixed, and I've seen a small but good enough performance increase from it.  I have a few minor ones though.  My machine is a Ryzen 5 3600, nVidia 1050Ti, Windows 10 machine, with the latest nv drivers (512.77) rather than the Windows builtin ones.

1. In Grothmar for example, some trees have some grass around the base (one of the trees just north of the wave mark tree near the ooze waypoint) which will move around/glitch depending on the camera angle.  No such weird movement in dx9.
  2. Other grass and flowers that would move as you run through them, are static in dx11. (edit – Ah right, I see others mentioned this as far back as last november)
  3. The breeze effect moving the grass doesn't seem as pronounced in dx11.
  4. There's a strange lag when I drag some icon around on the screen (from inventory or bank), on dx11 it will be much behind the mouse cursor, while on the otherwise less performant dx9 that isn't noticeable.
  5. I get a very noticeable jitter when I close a window with a preview in it (most Hero window panels, eg. Fishing), or more like about a 0.5 s stall.  It doesn't happen on dx9 and is pretty easy to see when turning the Hero window on and off while running.

Edited by Ralesk.3215
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can't do screenshots in 4k anymore after update | Selecting higher resolutions doesn't seem to do anything anymore

I'm on a 1920x1080 resolution and I always used NVIDIAs DSR option (enables upscaling to higher resolution) to switch to a 4k resolution within gw2 to take screenshots. But as of today, nothing changes when I select 1920x1080 and 3840x2160. The screenshots are always 1920x1080 and the ingame resolution doesn't really seem to change either.

• Sad 1

On 6/7/2022 at 8:09 PM, Vetkin.6041 said:

Can't do screenshots in 4k anymore after update | Selecting higher resolutions doesn't seem to do anything anymore

I'm on a 1920x1080 resolution and I always used NVIDIAs DSR option (enables upscaling to higher resolution) to switch to a 4k resolution within gw2 to take screenshots. But as of today, nothing changes when I select 1920x1080 and 3840x2160. The screenshots are always 1920x1080 and the ingame resolution doesn't really seem to change either.

To add to that, game's print screen button crashes the game, while using dx11+upscaled res (I'm using the same application and resolutions as Vetkin).

• Sad 1

Noticed something pretty odd. I am at a super ancient computer. Barely runs the game. But fine - with los settings. Only the Dragon's End meta is super fps-laggy on this ancient machine. In DX9 so far.

Had cleaned up my computer yesterday. And first I thought it was something with the graphics card. (But then I guess there would be other errors.) After the latest hotfix that supposedly fixed only a client crash ... It was barely unplayable (5-6 fps only) in most maps - even in the empty guild hall of my solo guild. (Arborstone 3 fps lol.) Usually I get around 20 which is fine for me - movies are also only about 25 fps and it does not feel laggy with 20.

Must have been that hotfix? Anyway: After trying DX11 now (which I knew it felt faster - from earlier tries): 5 or 6 times the fps than with DX9. Feels smooth now. (I even have the limiter at 30 fps or so. Not tried to disable it in zones with a low amount of players.) Map switching is smoother a lot (loading fast). And alt-tabbing out much smoother. I will stay with DX11 not - giving it a try.

Still need to get used to the different UI scaling. (Posted about this before.) Finding the setting that suits me best. But the text looks better now. (Seemed a bit blurred and harder to read ... the last time I posted here. Some weeks or monthas ago I think.) I guess for low-end machines the differences will be most notably - enabling more players to play the game with older machines.

Still ... need to try out Dragon's End meta with this. (Usually playing it once per week at the weekends.)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Sad 1