DirectX 11 Graphics Issues

Posted in the crash thread about having almost no crashes. Here now about the graphics again. I upgraded from my super ancient graphics card to another ancient (but not too ancient) one. With still pretty recent drivers.

A problem I had - which still persists: Guild treasure with DX9 I could move the items from left to the donation box on the top right. Does not work. In DX11 I need to move it to the lower half of the right side where the currently needed items (and the amount in treasury) is shown.

Also the preview (that in DX9 lagged/showed slowly with my old graphics card with the less older one a bit faster) for skins: In gem store it does not show at all. (Empty window then.) From the item itself or the bank/skin window: Bugged like it is cut in half ... only showing the left half ot the preview window. The window is not smaller. Just in the right half nothing is shown. Could make screens if needed. (Just doing my daily forum checks atm - not having the game opened right now.)

Other than that: Nothing major. I'd suggest to upgrade the min sys requirements a bit though. While I am in favor for keeping the requiements low ... the Radeon HD 7470 that I used before (a rebrand of some of the HD 6000 series) ... I think was a bit too bad. The R7 240 I am using now (old one with too ancient drivers and it gave too much trouble and I think it started to break down) - feels like a huge gap. R200 series is the lowest after the Radeon HD series (where the EOD currently lists 6850 HD or so as minimum I think) - still pretty cheap. And the latest driver I think even from this year recently. Though they supposedly moved those to legacy support as well.

Or at least a warning for the older cards - tha technically still let you play the game.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

When I have multiple monitors setup, I have GW2 running on one monitor and I play a youtube video (or some html5 video) in a browser (FF and chrome tested) on a second monitor then game starts flickering.

Edit: a walkaround is to play a video on the same monitor as the game is running and then use picture in picture feature to move it to another monitor (remember to have the video tab active when switching back to game).

Edited by zemiacsik.4590
added walkaround
  • Sad 1

The lighting inside the cavern beneath Dragon's End is randomly messed up (very bright and greenish lighting).

Relogging inside the cavern seems to fix the issue temporarily - at least until you reenter the map (i.e. until you render the map from outside the cavern) and then go back there.

Screens of the issue:

https://imgur.com/a/TDAAqJd

System Info:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19043) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz

Memory: 16384MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

GW2 Client Build: 131259

Graphics Options:

Resolution: Windowed Fullscreen

Refresh Rate: Default

Frame Limiter: Unlimited

Interface Size: Normal

DX11 Rendering: Enabled

DPI Scaling: Enabled

Full-Screen Gamma: 1.00

Animation: High

Antialiasing: SMAA High

Environment: High

LOD Distance: Ultra

Reflections: All

Textures: High

Render Sampling: Native

Shadows: Ultra

Shaders: High

Post Processing: High

Character Model Limit: Low

Character Model Quality: Low

Ambient Occlusion: Enabled

Best Texture Filtering: Enabled

Depth Blur: Disabled

Effect LOD: Disabled

High-Res Character Textures: Enabled

Light Adaption: Enabled

V-Sync: Disabled (using G-Sync instead)

Motion Blur Power: Slider in Mid Position

If further information is needed, please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

After upgrading to the latest AMD recommended driver, 22.7.1 from 22.5.1, DX11 is a total stuttery mess.

Just standing outside Salma (Home) and looking directly up is not smooth at all and should not be that taxing on the GPU.

Dropping down to DX9 is nice and smooth, as is reverting back to 22.5.1.

RX6800XT, 3900x, x570, 32Gb RAM.

I am having an issue with the lighting too. I get the 'light source off screen so no global lighting for you' thing described above, but also my whole screen flickers like it has very low frame rate.  This flickering is transient and I cannot cause or stop it  but is bad enough to give a headache if I carried on. also I worry about damage to my monitor.

I am unsure what logs to post... but I have a 3080 and up-to date graphics drivers. using directx11

So ... another thing: In my previous posts I had mentioned that I changed my graphics card to e better (still very old - but at least it has more recent drivers still available) one. The problem with the preview window (skin preview) still exists on DX11 for me. Also in the equipment screen most of the char is visible ... still seems that to the right it is cut off a bit. (Maybe the actual rectangle showing the char/preview not really centered above the background window.)

Screenshots ... I wanted to make them. Maybe one time I'll be in the mood to to a pic with my smartphone. The screens stopped working at some point when I changed to the other graphics card. (See above post of me for which ancient cards I used and still using. :D) I di not know if it was the hardware ... the newer driver - or a combination of those. Directx9 still works fine with screenshots. I have 2 examples. The one looking bugged is from DX11 now:

https://i.imgur.com/xRJUQAA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bSJLm40.jpg

Other than that ... still working fine mostly.

Edited by Luthan.5236

On 8/13/2022 at 4:22 PM, Shinjiko.1352 said:

The Revenant Jalis elite is still white in dx11 and not stone coloured like in dx9.

Otter infusion still glows much brighter than dx9 so when it hangs in the air on some animations and glows in place, at max glow  brightness all details are lost on the little thing 😞

I was about to report this as a bug when I saw this post.

As you've mentioned the Revenant Elite Skill, Rite of the Great Dwarf isn't being rendered properly when DX11 is used. 

It still appears correctly when activated and and DX9 is selected.

Looking closely at the effect under DX9 it appears that there are two "skins" applied to the character when it is activated? One appears to be a pale white or yellowish glow and the second is a stone effect. Under DX11 it looks like the stone effect is absent or not being rendered properly and as a result we are seeing the pale white/yellowish "skin" on its own.

Edited by Andy.5981

On 8/16/2022 at 7:54 PM, Andy.5981 said:

I was about to report this as a bug when I saw this post.

As you've mentioned the Revenant Elite Skill, Rite of the Great Dwarf isn't being rendered properly when DX11 is used. 

It still appears correctly when activated and and DX9 is selected.

Looking closely at the effect under DX9 it appears that there are two "skins" applied to the character when it is activated? One appears to be a pale white or yellowish glow and the second is a stone effect. Under DX11 it looks like the stone effect is absent or not being rendered properly and as a result we are seeing the pale white/yellowish "skin" on its own.

It's not just Elite skill, but "stone effect" in general. Was just doing Long Live The Lich and in a final instance where Joko's minions attack you one by one they also covered in shining pale blue color until they emerge from their statue form.

Graphics issue which I've mentioned before, persisting all the through and after the beta:

DX11 bloom on roids. Everything that has a pale surface colour and reflects light burns your retinas. Anywhere. Everywhere. The worst places are SAB clouds (I've posted here before about it and provided screens), Dragon's End flooring, snow areas, sand (less so). This is not a glitch with textures.

Repaired the game client. Used DDU and tried many different drivers. Changed settings (besides DX11 - turning of Post-Processing works but that's because it's actually disabling bloom - shame we have all these settings under one label). This was introduced with the DX11 beta, and I've had it the entire time.

Specs are:

Ryzen 4800H
RTX 2060 6GB
16GB DDR4 3200MHz
Latest version of Windows 11
Drivers up-to-date
Video drivers (number revisions; currently up-to-date).

It is actually starting to really annoy me because the AOE targetting and damage graphic is very hard to see against these pale, over-bloomed surfaces.

When I am using DX11 there is a black screen that pops up between the login ui and character select screen. When using DX9 it just go back to the normal desktop until the character select screen pops up.. This disconcerting because when my computer crashes on the way to the character select screen it also goes all black.

Edited by OutOfMyMind.9613
new info

On 6/30/2022 at 12:54 PM, Luthan.5236 said:

Also the preview (that in DX9 lagged/showed slowly with my old graphics card with the less older one a bit faster) for skins: In gem store it does not show at all. (Empty window then.) From the item itself or the bank/skin window: Bugged like it is cut in half ... only showing the left half ot the preview window. The window is not smaller. Just in the right half nothing is shown.

On 8/3/2022 at 1:04 PM, Luthan.5236 said:

Screenshots ... I wanted to make them. Maybe one time I'll be in the mood to to a pic with my smartphone. The screens stopped working at some point when I changed to the other graphics card. (See above post of me for which ancient cards I used and still using. :D) I di not know if it was the hardware ... the newer driver - or a combination of those. Directx9 still works fine with screenshots. I have 2 examples. The one looking bugged is from DX11 now:

https://i.imgur.com/xRJUQAA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bSJLm40.jpg

Recent update fixed both of these. The bullet point refering to crashes related to screenshots (which I did not get) - seems to have fixed the visual bugs - normal screenshots now possible with DX11 for me.

Hero panel preview affected the skin preview from gem store or items from the bank/inventory. (Also the char in the hero panel looks better centered.) Now this feels like a DX9 experience (no major bugs introduced from DX11) with better performance (the increased performance from DX11).

... except maybe for the PvP badge thing someone else mentioned above. This still is buggy. But only a minor thing. Not too annoying for me.

Edited by Luthan.5236

Yesterday's patch seems to have broken DPI scaling for a number of people that did not previously have a problem (myself included): character preview is now cut off in pertinent panels when DPI scaling is enabled with DX11 rendering.

Linking specific bug thread below. Just want to point the problem out here to hopefully increase visibility to the devs, as this kind of issue could be pretty confusing/demoralizing for all the brand new Steam players. 

Edited by Jerem.7360
formatting
  • Sad 1

On 9/14/2022 at 4:21 PM, Jerem.7360 said:

Yesterday's patch seems to have broken DPI scaling for a number of people that did not previously have a problem (myself included): character preview is now cut off in pertinent panels when DPI scaling is enabled with DX11 rendering.

Linking specific bug thread below. Just want to point the problem out here to hopefully increase visibility to the devs, as this kind of issue could be pretty confusing/demoralizing for all the brand new Steam players. 

I have this exact same issue.  Thanks to this post I was able to learn what was causing the problem at least.  If I turn off either DPI Scaling or DX11 I am then able to preview armor/weapons, and see my character in the Hero panel.  However, going back to DX9 is not an option at all due to the huge performance loss in crowded areas, and turning off DPI Scaling makes things too small to be comfortable viewing on my 4K screen (even with it set to "Larger" UI).

Edited by Elder III.3158

I've found an inconsistency of effects on Dx11 vs Dx9 on Harvest Temple Strike Mission.
The void/corruption effects display differently depending on what graphics card brand you use and if you're using dx9 or dx11. In NVIDIA cards, while using DX11 the "corruption" AoEs are black, while on DX9 they have a black and purple effect just like the void themed enemies, and using a AMD card and DX11, the effect is dark green (I couldnt test on dx9 amd). I've found this out while watching my static do HT through discord, each person had a different color for the mechanic and this got really confusing.
I've tested all settings and none makes a difference on that AoE effect, only changing from Dx9 to Dx11

Here's an example of the differences, top image is Nvidia 2070 super on DX11, the orb aoe is black, middle is Nvidia 2070 super on Dx9, the orb aoe is black/purple with a different effect, and on botton is how it looked while watching the players on AMD.
https://imgur.com/a/MzM8DAh

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1