DirectX 11 Graphics Issues

Recently switched from using the DX9 (deprecated) mode to DX11, and now the game refuses to remember to display in my preferred (secondary) monitor. It opens in the primary monitor, and even when moved to and closed in the secondary display does not reopen in that display when relaunched.

Switching back to the DX9 (deprecated) mode results in a return to expected Win 10 behavior (client relaunches in the position/resolution on the same display from which it was last terminated).

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to be getting some weird hitching on dx11 whenever assets are loading (or unloading). It can be rather egregious when moving fast, e.g. on griffon. It doesn't occur on dx9 in FSE mode. I also made sure I didn't have any background apps or overlays running that might be interfering. I made a video of it while moving around on the map as it's easier to see, but it happens everywhere in world.

https://gfycat.com/blushingregaldassierat

- Win7 SP1 x64
- GeForce 1080Ti - 473.81 drivers (in PCIe 2.0 mode)
- 48GB DDR3
- i7-990X (oc'd to 4.2Ghz)
- Game on Samsung 860 Pro SSD

Edited by firewire.4813

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing with max settings including post processing on high since I built my new PC and dx11 was in beta. Since it was automatically enabled I hadn't had any problems until today.

I played a bit of WvW, quit to desktop to put the kids in bed, then when I started it back up I got bloom in the face. Everything was super over saturated. In game, character select screen, very bad. Not knowing what had happened, since I haven't changed a setting since forever, I turned post processing off to make it tolerable but still entirely too bright. Quit to desktop came back and it was back to being too saturated again, this time with post processing off.

Now I have enabled dx9 rendering, turned post processing back to high and everything looks fine now.  Guessing this is a dx11 related problem.

• Like 1

• ArenaNet Staff

Hi all, I want to let you know that the team is keeping an eye on this thread so they can respond to DX11-related bugs. Screenshots are extremely helpful for visual bugs so please please continue to include those as much as possible. 

Gamma adjustment may help some of you who are experiencing brightness issues. With DX11, gamma adjustment is available in windowed mode. If the game suddenly becomes too bright or too dark, it's worth checking your gamma setting. This is not a guaranteed fix for everyone--I know some of you have already tried this--but if you haven't yet, give it a try. 

Thank you for flagging these issues and sharing your feedback, and keep it coming!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

No idea how this hasn't been reported in this 21 page thread yet (or the forum search is faulty), but this green ground vfx in Hall of Chains (used in Dhuum and Eater of Souls encounters) has been broken since the very first DX11 beta:

How it looks in DX9 (the intended way): https://s3.amazonaws.com/dulfy.net/uploads/2017/12/gw2-dhuum-guide-9.jpg

How it looks in DX11: https://i.imgur.com/orcVZyX.png and https://i.imgur.com/3VDWEoR.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ZEUStiger.3590 said:

No idea how this hasn't been reported in this 21 page thread yet (or the forum search is faulty), but this green ground vfx in Hall of Chains (used in Dhuum and Eater of Souls encounters) has been broken since the very first DX11 beta:

How it looks in DX9 (the intended way): https://s3.amazonaws.com/dulfy.net/uploads/2017/12/gw2-dhuum-guide-9.jpg

How it looks in DX11: https://i.imgur.com/orcVZyX.png and https://i.imgur.com/3VDWEoR.png

I think this also happens to the Void's black-multicolored goo

• Like 1

Okay my turn!

Been experiencing hitching/microstutters as of late patch, from 14 feb til today, happens mostly while on fast mounts, and once you experience the microstutters/hitching, it stays there even when walking until you restart the game, btw this is even in deserted areas where no one is! Please fix it anet, ive met some others experiencing this aswell and its abysmal playing the game with such hickups

@Rubi Bayer.8493

Edited by Melody.8123
Tagging staff for this problem

On 2/23/2023 at 3:17 PM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Hi all, I want to let you know that the team is keeping an eye on this thread so they can respond to DX11-related bugs. Screenshots are extremely helpful for visual bugs so please please continue to include those as much as possible. 

Gamma adjustment may help some of you who are experiencing brightness issues. With DX11, gamma adjustment is available in windowed mode. If the game suddenly becomes too bright or too dark, it's worth checking your gamma setting. This is not a guaranteed fix for everyone--I know some of you have already tried this--but if you haven't yet, give it a try. 

Thank you for flagging these issues and sharing your feedback, and keep it coming!

Hello Rubi!
I have a big trouble with FPS in this zone, it fixes when I disable the Best Texture Filtering, bug occurs just in this zone

https://i.imgur.com/tVvmCXW.png

Edited by Reig.8173

On 2/23/2023 at 7:17 PM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Hello, as i reported, since this morning, the game under win 7 do not keep full screen mode anymore, is forced to windows mode only even if in the options the full screen mode is checked.

The only fix i found is to enable directx 9 (direct x 9 rendered (deprecated)), or replace the local.dat to an older version everytime i log-in, so is ok as a temporary fix but please fix it, direct11 is performing much better. Thank you.

Update from the support:

Hello,

Thank you for updating us.

At this time, we are currently aware of this issue and our development team is looking into it.

Future updates regarding this will be posted in our official forums.

Please do not hesitate to let us know should you have any additional questions or concerns.

Regards,

Fury
Guild Wars 2 Support Team

They know there is an issue with dx11, expected a fix in the next updates. 👍

Edited by Miporin.3529

It's been years now, and I've posted and provided screens a few times since. DX11 all the way through til now, countless driver iterations, countless game updates (an expansion too), game repairs/installs, and I've still got this INSANELY annoying DirectX 11 implementation bug where BLOOM is insanely over-the-top and no I do not want to turn off Post Processing. In ArenaNet's infinite wisdom, tying everything post-processing related under one setting, means I cannot experience any other visual effects if I want to escape this bloom issue. Also, since PoF... why is Crystal Desert so kitten dark? I know it's been a long time but since I'm here I thought I'd ask. It's like someone put an underexposure filter on (and no the setting to mimic eye adjustment doesn't help and gamma has nothing to do with it since my display is calibrated).

Anything that has a bloom-capable, reflective or bright surface in this game makes it look like I'm staring at the surface of the Sun from 10ft away. It makes AoE circles nigh impossible to see, SAB cloud levels are impossible to navigate, Lion's Arch very bright, EoD Maps are retina destroying (Especially New Kaineng and Dragon's End). And it's been... typically PURE ignorance from ArenaNet, despite the fact that others have reported the issue as well. It HAS been acknowledged by staff here, but nothing has been done about it. None. Zero. Zilch. Which is not at all surprising. "But they have to find the problem in the spaghetti codeeee"... stop making excuses for them.

Since we're edging that way, I'll withhold any future purchases until the bloom issue is resolved.

I might have to go back to DX9 and endure the performance loss, if the well-known, notoriously bug ignorant ArenaNet aren't going to fix it.

• Like 2

With all the load lag/hitching caused by this "upgrade" I want to shift back to DX9 until something is done about it, but no matter what I do I cannot get the "Enable DX9 Rendering" option to stick through a game restart (which is supposedly required)--it just keeps coming up unchecked.

Anyone know what the trick is to get this buggy setting to stick properly so I can try to get around the buggy DX11 issue?

Edit: Figures two minutes after posting I'd get it to work.  Setting to DX9 and exiting either via Log Out or Exit to Desktop then restarting using the normal launcher STILL won't keep the setting but for some bizarre reason setting it, exiting to desktop then using Launchbuddy DID make/allow it stick.  Go figure.

Edited by Kruhljak.2705
new info