DirectX 11 Graphics Issues

Not sure if its been mentioned previously in the thread, but on The Way Forward chapter in PoF, upon entering the Forgotten City instance, the entire place was dark for me. I could see the interface, skills and minimap, but my actual character and the entire area were a black screen. Disabling DX11 and reloading into the instance fixed the issue for me. 

1 hour ago, Hell Nirvana.9045 said:

It is, just not with all the feature levels. And Anet hasn't disclosed which one they're requiring. I hope they've done their homework on this.

Even windows vista can run directx 11, which is why they stuck to dx11 instead of dx12. I've never had any issues whatsoever running dx11 games (even extremely recent ones like Tales of Arise) on win 7, so I'd find it exceptionally hard to believe that a 9+ year old game can't overlay some text on the screen for win 7's version of dx11. This is just a glitch, not some hardcoded limitation exclusive to win 8's and 10's version of dx11.

12 minutes ago, Poormany.4507 said:

Anyone else having slower than normal camera rotation in DX11 and/or know whether this is an issue with DX11 or on my end? Thanks!

If you are referring to slow input lag and movement like for example rotating your character in character selection screen, you can solve by watching my reply if you have an nvidia graphics card (but I believe there is an option for amd cards too)

* actually the fix works even just by editing the gw2-64.exe and not going on the global settings anymore *

On 9/24/2021 at 2:23 PM, Fedexer.2486 said:

So I would like to say that I've solved my problem of input lag, I don't know if it was fixed with the latest update of today.

Basically I went to nvidia control panel as before, 3d settings but instead of going in the tab "Program setting" and selecting gw2-64.exe you have to go into the "Global settings" and you look for Vertical Sync option and you put "disabled" and apply. Of course the vertical sync option in-game have also to be disabled, and put the game in full screen. To me it solved the problem, now vertical sync isn't no more actived at random when playing (even though I have more or less the same fps of dx9, but loading of models are faster in dx11). You will know if you correctly disabled the vertical sync if you see in the game settings that fps are capped to 63 instead of 60.

Still would like to see an update for fixing the gamma not working, at the moment I'm calibrating the gamma with the monitor settings every time I open gw2, thank you for your work.

Edited by Fedexer.2486
  • Thanks 1

Don't know if it is related to DX11 but never ever seen this bug before:

In tonight fractal, the objects and gui elements started to disappear... first the skills on CD later character models, etc.

https://i.postimg.cc/RhwgshPr/gw133.jpg

To be clear I did not turn off GUI or anything 😄

Tonight was an interesting fractal.

Edited by Meglivorn.6718

2 hours ago, Meglivorn.6718 said:

Don't know if it is related to DX11 but never ever seen this bug before:

In tonight fractal, the objects and gui elements started to disappear... first the skills on CD later character models, etc.

https://i.postimg.cc/RhwgshPr/gw133.jpg

To be clear I did not turn off GUI or anything 😄

Tonight was an interesting fractal.

Aetherblade and Mai Trin Fractals have this issue with DirectX 11.

• Like 1

During the story instance of the crystal dragon after the third set of crystals charged and Kralk does a big blast, the screen starts to shake, and then never stops. It also slowly gets more extreme over time.
Also the screenshake effect doesn't stop if you log out of the character and only seems to stop after closing the entire game.
Turning off the DX11 beta resolved the issue and allowed the scene to play out normally.

Textures start to break down after about 45 minutes of play. Infusions turn into a glowy square. Voltile magics are large and green. Trees are dead then have weird texture then draw in. wvw ramps are all chicklet colors. Weird colored chicklets in story repeat. I only have 13 char slots. Friday evening received another critical bgfx-something.cpp exception error and lost my spot in wvw and just played Cyberpunk instead. Turning off dx11 for now and hoping the dx9 still works enough to get thru my 3 hour envoy group tomorrow. Please don't call things "beta" when there are not in beta state. dx11 should have been released as a use-at-your-own-risk alpha with a feedback form included. Textures break. Critical errors. Unplayable. I have a very high end gaming pc with latest nvidia drivers. W11, 3070 etc... Zero overlays or addons. I submitted error reports for the critical errors. Texture screen shots too numerous to submit but fractals cleave only....  MaiTrin

For all the people complaining about the beta - just turn it off!

3D graphics are extremely difficult. The number of permutations of OS version/driver version/hardware revision is essentially infinite. What they are doing is the best way to try to shake out the bugs - get it working locally, get as many others with different setups to try it, gather bug reports, fix bugs, repeat.

So there's no point in being aggressive or negative about this. Just turn it off if it doesn't work for you.

• Thanks 1

(more feedback for the devs) when running dx9 (no dx11, -maploadinfo tag on shortcut) i still get bgfx crashes, as seen in the [more details] section of the crash report windows. i re-iterate DX9. i have also sent the crash reports every time i get the option, because sometimes, it hard crashes the whole PC, and then it's impossible to send a crash report unless there's logs i don't know about hidden somewhere on this thing. since i get bgfx crashes while running dx9, it makes no sense to NOT use dx11, because the crashes come from bgfx itself (the renderer) NOT the direct x platform. (yes, i've sent the GW2 crash reports)

EDT: I almost forgot... Nvidia still supports SLI on DX9 (an old profile in their drivers) but NOT on DX11. i've noticed in my overlay that on DX9, both GPU (RTX 2070 Supers) spin up past max GPU clocks,(1950 MHz) but on DX11 only the main GPU spins up to full clocks, the second GPU just idle at 350 hertz. reminder i7-4930k with 32GB Ram.

on another note, one of the patches let me use the overlays again. like Precision x1 and -maploadinfo tag on shortcut, whereas i COULDN'T use them previously because they caused insta-crashes before loading the character select screen. (yes, even -mnaploadinfo tag) but not regularly anymore. maybe they still do occasionally? but that's what the crash reports are for, they send more info than i can...

1 hour ago, Gumbolia.5381 said:

For all the people complaining about the beta - just turn it off!

3D graphics are extremely difficult. The number of permutations of OS version/driver version/hardware revision is essentially infinite. What they are doing is the best way to try to shake out the bugs - get it working locally, get as many others with different setups to try it, gather bug reports, fix bugs, repeat.

So there's no point in being aggressive or negative about this. Just turn it off if it doesn't work for you.

i'm commenting on the sentiment here, not the poster, because i 99% agree, and sometimes need to remind myself of the purpose of beta tessting.

complaining. negative + aggressive comments aren't needed for sure, but they still contain feedback, sometimes valuable feedback not available anywhere else. after all, the point of a beta is to give feedback so the devs can fix it, they called it a beta specifically because they're asking for that feedback. some of this feedback includes asking others about issues to see if the issues can be solves outside of dev work, and if so, the devs still need to know because sometimes they can reprogram their game to avoid having to change 3rd party settings.

some of us play the betas specifically to add feedback that the devs might not be aware of. such as using certain combinations of hardware that may be used my others. steam hardware survey says that almost 87% of PCs using steam in the whole world are using windows 10. ANET obviously cares about those who are playing older operating-systems (like windows 8, windows 8.1, and windows Vista, which are all still supported by Microsoft) that 10-13% os PCs still numbers in the million, probably the tens of millions (a survey of ONLY 14 million PCs, would result in 10% being 1.4 million, and steam is on HUNDREDS of millions of PCs)

so, the more people test it, giving feedback, even while complaining, the better. and they'll prolly still crash sometimes without using DX11.

Edited by Forgotten Legend.9281

2 hours ago, Forgotten Legend.9281 said:

EDT: I almost forgot... Nvidia still supports SLI on DX9 (an old profile in their drivers) but NOT on DX11. 

What happens if you try setting the SLI rendering mode in the nvidia control panel for gw2 to Force AFR2? I have a similar setup and i've always set it to this to get it to use both cards. MSI afterburner shows both being used equally for DX11.

6 hours ago, firewire.4813 said:

What happens if you try setting the SLI rendering mode in the nvidia control panel for gw2 to Force AFR2? I have a similar setup and i've always set it to this to get it to use both cards. MSI afterburner shows both being used equally for DX11.

that DIDN'T work for sooo many games that i forgot to try it on GW2 DX11 beta... and? it worked! (the default auto setting does not SLI DX11, but AFR 2 does). neither GPU clocks all the way up, but goes between about 1000 and max, but usually hanging around 1400.  at around 20-30% GPU workload. gives me 60fps much more often at 2560x1600, and hasn't dipped below 20 in zerg fights, so that's an improvement over single card spooling up to max with second card idle.

thanks for the reminder of the setting.

Just did wing2 Matthias with dx11 and half the telegraphs for the mechanics were almost invisible. The orange circles were invisible and only the filling red circle was shown which made players without the mechanic very hard to see. The orange circle around the ghosts were also invisible and the same for the corrupt circle.

Living World season 2 episode Arcana Obscura be like:

https://imgur.com/a/zn7CpXT

Edit: I did run Windows Disk Cleanup, which included clearing the Direct X shader cache. Not sure if that had anything to do with it, but the DX11 beta wasn't giving me graphical problems until now.

Edited by Charrbeque.8729

Since enabling DX11 last week I've been having a number of either crashes where I get the bug report window, or where the game just goes completely unresponsive. Usually it just goes unresponsive and Windows (10) just closes the game. I can't even submit a bug report to Anet when this happens. I want to, but I can't!

The place where it's happening almost every time is the chest/loot rooms after the Auric Basin meta. My client will just lock up over and over again and a couple times I just gave up trying to loot all the rooms. I have no idea what's so special down there that's causing it.

I updated drivers last week. Don't know what else to do to try helping/preventing this from happening.