DX11 Beta & Reshade

1 minute ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I have no idea, since you are only venting and not really answering any questions. I am sorry, but I cannot read minds.

I only asked because you told me to delete local.dat and clear gw2 cache right after I said I reinstalled the game. It's like you are not paying attention to anything being said but keep pushing this one 'fix' over and over for everyone.

2 minutes ago, Redfeather.6401 said:

I only asked because you told me to delete local.dat and clear gw2 cache right after I said I reinstalled the game. It's like you are not paying attention to anything being said but keep pushing this one 'fix' over and over for everyone.

Re-installing a game typically won't remove cache/temp files etc - the man is just trying to be helpful, don't bash him for that - really...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Redfeather.6401 said:

I only asked because you told me to delete local.dat and clear gw2 cache right after I said I reinstalled the game.

Those files are not located in the game's installation folder, though. You never explicitly said that you did delete those files, so...

5 minutes ago, vinterberg.2783 said:

the man is just trying to be helpful, don't bash him for that - really...

woman*, her* 😉 ... and thank you for the support.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1

Apparently the dx11 setting did not save until I chose something other than autodetect. (did Best performance and scaled down)

Could I have some of your graphics settings and specs? What is your fps in lion's arch? At full settings I'm just getting 30'ish fps when staring at a large crowd.  I5-6500 and a 1060. It seems to be actually using my GPU now, when it barely did before.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

22 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I think you are misinterpreting the connection between frames produced and images generated.

But.. Oh man.. Cannot explain much better that I already have 😞
You do know that if I run my Win10 in 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz, and run a game in fullscreen borderless/windowed mode - it will use the same refresh rate as my Windows desktop, right (because it displays a window stretched to the entire screen area, but still puts it through the Windows canvas render engine, which is tied to the refresh rate chosen in settings)? So far, so good.. Ok, I run my GW2 in fullscreen windowed mode, so therefore GW2 runs at 144 Hz refresh rate.

I know difference between frames rendered, and frames displayed on monitor - but this is not what we're talking about here. We're talking about the guy who claimed GW2 DX11 runs in 60 Hz mode - which it cannot do if running in windowed fullscreen mode on a 144 Hz monitor.
Running a game in borderless/windowed mode WILL make it use the same refresh rate as the Windows desktop.
Simply because Windows refreshes it's desktop accordingly to the refresh rate set in resolution etc.
And if MSI Afterburner reports 60 - 100 frames rendered/second, that means that GW2 pushes that many frames to the display, which refreshes 144 times / second because of the 144 Hz setting in Windows desktop.

Not trying to be argumentative, but really don't know where he got his facts from in the first place..

Edited by vinterberg.2783

5 hours ago, Tony.8659 said:

Hi all, has anyone got reshade working now with the DX11 beta?

Yes, instantly (and without flickering or any other issues for that matter). 🙂

You need to install ReShade's DX10/11 version, which will generate a dxgi.dll instead of a d3d9.dll. While the latter needs to be placed in the bin64 folder, the former stays in the game's main directory (make sure you remove the d3d9.dll and any related files when you are using the DX10/11 version).

Make sure you install the latest version of ReShade. You will be able to choose which effects you want to have installed, including what SweetFX has to offer. I recommend you only install the effects you really want/need (I only use Curves, FakeHDR, Levels, LumaSharpen and Tonemap).

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, vinterberg.2783 said:

But.. Oh man.. Cannot explain much better that I already have 😞

I know exactly what you meant, really. What I was trying to say is that your FPS are rarely synchronous to your monitor's refresh rate. Hence, FPS and Hertz cannot be used synonymously.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1

Is there any solution to have DX11 and GW2Hook running together perhaps? It gave me graphical issues after enabling the DX11 beta so I disabled it for the duration of the beta. I'd like to use them both in the future because hook removes the nasty fog that usually gave me performance issues and also enhances visuals by a ton but dx11 makes everything run far better (50-60 or 70 fps gain in total which means 144 to 230 fps in total now). 

Edited by Cynder.2509

So DX11 beta makes your game run much smoother, even better than the Hook thing you mentioned(?), but you want even more..?
I would argue that any ReShade addon cannot make the performance better, only worse - since it performs additional post-processing after GW2 sends the graphics to be displayed. It cannot remove fog processing or anything from the render pipeline, it can only adjust the final frame sent by GW2 - nothing else.
It's like putting an extra layer on top of a cake, and think that it's now less tall than before.....

What is that "nasty fog" that gave you performance issues..?? Usually fog shading is really low-cost in terms of GPU processing..

All ReShade plugins do their "thing" by making a DXx (9, 11, whatever) DLL file, that directs all commands to the DirectX original DLL without modification (like render target switching, mesh uploads, shader state changes and so on and so on), except for the command "Present()", which is where they capture the final frame of a game and does post-processing on that before sending it to the display. Nothing else. Games works in so many different ways, and to work on the middle-calculations needed for the final result is madness.. Like fog, that's encoded into the lighting shaders of a game, and if a plugin has to disassemble that and rework it is - madness.
ReShade works by doing stuff to the final image presented by "Present()"  in the DLL before it's sent to your monitor, and nothing else. An extra layer of cake filling. And that's also why many ReShade  plugins change the UI and all other elements of the display, with contrast, sharpness, color tone and so on.

The way Windows works is that, when you launch a game, if it needs - let's say DXx (x = 9, 11, whatever), it starts by looking for the appropiate DXx DLL in the local folder first - if that's not found, it uses the DXx DLL usually located in the Windows/System folder somewhere. And that's how ReShade works: by making a local "fake" DLL file that a game then loads (thinking it's the normal DXx DLL), and this altered DLL then forwards all commands directly to the original system DXx DLL - except from the "Present()" call (which informs DirectX to present a frame buffer to the display, with vsync flags and all that jazz), which is when it captures the final output image from a game and does post-processing on it before sending it further down the pipeline. A "middle-man" of some sorts, which does additional work on the image - but it can never reduce the amount of work needed to produce the image it intercepted, never.

More or less all of Reshade plugins share the exact same DLL file, which then reads a text file that contains the parameters and flags for post-processing. That's how you get the many different configurations of ReShade profiles for Skyrim, GW2 and so on - they merely change the config file, but seldom/ever the DLL file itself. The core DLL file is fixed, and is flexible in terms of what you feed into it with the config file.
You can even change the text based config file yourself, to alter ReShade mods to your personal liking.

Edited by vinterberg.2783

Used dx11 for 5 hours. I crashed once at Mai Trin tier 4. Probably too many effects. Played many metas on max graphics to stress test it. I installed a fresh copy of windows 10 pro build 19043 plus a fresh game install. My Laptop is a Lenovo Legion 5 Y540 with an I7-9750h. 16gb of RAM, RTX2060. 

What I noticed:

-increased FPS 

-smoother experience

-faster loading screens (keep in mind gw2 is installed on an SSD.

-no stuttering (except first time entering lion's arch on a clean install)

-better performance in crowded maps with ongoing metas

HOWEVER I heard other people crash quite often but this is just the first day of beta. Don't let that discourage you. Devs need moral support and patience from us during this change. Also if you crash don't just restart the game but try to send the report to the devs so they can look into it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gadzooks.4687 said:

Thats why its a beta. Unfortunate that it gave you so much trouble, but I wouldnt write off dx11 entirely. Just wait for the beta to work out the bugs and issues and then try it again when its officially released.

I just read the update about the crash 'wit many char' slots'. I got 50 so I'm wondering whether to try it again.

On 9/21/2021 at 10:08 PM, yorick.1305 said:

Saved! By my alt accounts. I've managed to log in to one of them and UNCHECK that box. Same IP so settings prob' apply to all your accounts. As for the d11 stuff, never again. Just wasted the best part of 3 hrs with that thing and it's my day off work too.

'Time is money, friend'.

You could have just used the command line argument to disable it. -dx9

On 9/21/2021 at 12:10 PM, Redfeather.6401 said:

How did you enable it?

I don't know how. I go into graphics options and click the box. It says I have to restart. I restart, but the box is not clicked. I asked in game and was just told RIP. I guess my computer doesn't support it? I play eso which is dx11 fine.

I had the same problem.  I unchecked the dpi scaling then checked dx11  restarted and it worked.  

So far, I have noticed a hefty performance increase. No more micro-stutters. Higher consistent framerate. Slightly shorter loading screens. In general it feels better than the D912pxy mod, though I say that cautiously. I'm really satisfied with this DX11 Beta so far.

Main Specs

- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

- Sapphire Pulse 6800 XT

- HyperX 16GB DDR4-3200 Mhz

Add-ons

- TacO + Tekkit

Settings

- 1440p, 144hz refresh rate, v-sync, max settings

P.S. - For anyone having issues with DX11 Beta, either your hardware doesn't fully support DX11, or there might be something wrong with your configuration. Try deleting game cache, or running GW2 in repair mode. Best of luck!

Edited by AdelaisAer.4109

When DX11 Beta launches, what I did was removed everything else in Guild Wars 2 folder except the data file and launcher. 

Tested DX11 Beta immediately after it released, can definitely tell map loading took shorter time, less stutter. FPS wise not much improvement especially in WvW. 

After ANET fixed with multiple patches, the game constantly crashing. 

The latest step I took was again the same as above, and deleted all GW2 caches in my systems - in %temp% and %appdata% folder. Then perform GW2 data file repair, launch game and re-do Reshade. Game became a lot better, FPS got huge improvement and no stutter when moving camera around. In WVW I had standard model for ally and enemy, lowest Model Limit and Quality, Shadow - None, Reflections - None, the rest of graphic options are at highest possible. Blob fight I am getting about 70-80 FPS, this is great.

However the game still randomly crash like after 1-2 hours of gameplay, could not figure out what is causing it.

i7-6700k OC 4.5GHz - full time

GTX 1080 (Nvidia 471.96 with G-Sync On)

16GB DDR4

M.2 SATA SSD

Windows 10 21H1 (OS Build19043.1237) 

• Thanks 1