• the F5
    • the traits
    • lack of combo fields/auras
    • lack of mobility
    • lack of condi cleanse
    • everything, trash it all and start again
    • nothing significant, it's mostly fine
    • something else

hammer is a bad thematic weapon. I do not feel like a magic caster when wielding a hammer, specially a slow clunky hammer, on a class that has 11khp, and the lowest defense in game. using fresh air scepter/focus is so much like core its just not fun. the weaver team did a great job at making ele feel different from core in terms of unique game play and thematic feel. but catalyst just feel like core with a hammer, and if i want a slow clunky weapon id use staff. i wonder whats else was/is on the ele drawing board for new elite specs.

• Like 6
  • Confused 3

Yikes, seems I'm in the tiny minority as someone who loves this spec, even with its flaws. I wanted an ele spec that I could play without getting my fingers in a tangle like weaver, and I got it. For me, personally, it's great. Now, do note that I'm just fooling about in open world PVE, so I have no knowledge of how this class works in PVP, WVW, raids, fractals, etc.

I like hammer, and hammer's skills - I just wish the attack speed was faster, because it currently feels like fighting through glue.

The f5 skill is...weird. It's so limiting that it's in a static position: if it could move with the elementalist, I feel like that would be so much more flexible. But perhaps that would be overpowered? I don't know - numbers aren't my thing, sorry. 🙂

The lack of mobility is also kind of clunky. It's great when we actually get into melee range, but *getting there* (and staying there) is a problem.

Aside from those things, I think the spec is fine...for open world PVE. Again, I don't know how it works - or doesn't work - in any other game mode.

Edited by Batel.9206
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, yaminokami.9472 said:

There is a difference between « This elite spec is trash » and « This Game style doesn’t suit me ». 9 classes, 3 elite spec for each you can play something else and stop trashing someone’s job

You know that both of these statements can be true at the same time though? 
I'm not gonna praise to the heavens poor work/concept/design/execution just because "this game style doesn't suit me".

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/22/2021 at 8:22 AM, montecristo.1324 said:

I think the mechanic itself is flawed. When you play tempest you need to overload, when you play weaver you want ro play the dual skills.

This F5 is just ignorable, you can do your core ele stuff with a better traitline and ignore the new mechanic 

I also predict that hammer, which is the place where the dev spent more time, will be usable only in rare scenarios and not in competitive gameplay

This, I can see it is a common theme for all new elite specs. They bring no real value, got stuff taken away and some random flawed functionality given in return.

The F5 is just too slow to use in pvp

41 minutes ago, Batel.9206 said:

Yikes, seems I'm in the tiny minority as someone who loves this spec, even with its flaws. I wanted an ele spec that I could play without getting my fingers in a tangle like weaver, and I got it. For me, personally, it's great. Now, do note that I'm just fooling about in open world PVE, so I have no knowledge of how this class works in PVP, WVW, raids, fractals, etc.

I like hammer, and hammer's skills - I just wish the attack speed was faster, because it currently feels like fighting through glue.

The f5 skill is...weird. It's so limiting that it's in a static position: if it could move with the elementalist, I feel like that would be so much more flexible. But perhaps that would be overpowered? I don't know - numbers aren't my thing, sorry. 🙂

The lack of mobility is also kind of clunky. It's great when we actually get into melee range, but *getting there* (and staying there) is a problem.

Aside from those things, I think the spec is fine...for open world PVE. Again, I don't know how it works - or doesn't work - in any other game mode.

The concept is sound, but its not translating well in game play.  The spec is too narrow and and doesn't offer enough compared to the existing e-specs ele has. 

Being able to drop 4 different fields to enable combos, that is cool concept.  In large groups, that is a great ability.  However, this spec has no synergy with any other part of ele outside of the hammer and the scepter, and you can just run in with a Tempest and drop 3 of the 4 fields Catalyst offers and have a greater effect(even without the quickness buffs from air F5).  Its never going to be used. 

I think this spec can be good keeping the fundamental concepts that the designers were aiming for, but I think they need to open it up more to the strengths of the elementalist rather then keeping it as narrow as it is.  For example, if the augments were finishers.  I believe Shattering ice should be moved to elite, and increase the amount of damage the secondary hits would do close to the initial strike damage; that would be an elite skill IMO.

• Like 2

Deeply disappointed in this elemental elite spec and to be honest I don't mind the range part even though I wish that I could get arranged hammer or other weapon however fact that this whole spec in general feels clunky and unorganized a mixture of trying to be both a tempest and a weaver but not doing any of either specs jobs better lack of damage everything just seems disappointing with this rest in peace elementalist...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Batel.9206 said:

Yikes, seems I'm in the tiny minority as someone who loves this spec, even with its flaws. I wanted an ele spec that I could play without getting my fingers in a tangle like weaver, and I got it. 

4 hours ago, Batel.9206 said:

I see me using Cata exactly for this, open world content. The issue many of us have is that cata in raid will most likely play far more extreme than weaver with much higher losses if you kitten up the smallest thing.

This is what cata in raids will play like in it's current form:

(3) Gw2: Condi Hammer Catalyst | 44.2k (46.7 with Elementals) - Huge Hitbox - YouTube

You might even agree that that's not what you would want, even though you like the specc overall, which is good to hear some do 🙂

13 hours ago, yaminokami.9472 said:

There is a difference between « This elite spec is trash » and « This Game style doesn’t suit me ». 9 classes, 3 elite spec for each you can play something else and stop trashing someone’s job

I know very well what the difference is. I don't play weaver because the play style doesn't suit me, but I understand why others like it, and it feels coherent. It's also fun to play, even though I'm no good with it. On the other hand, I don't want to play catalyst because it's utterly broken, frustrating to play, and I'm not sure what it's trying to be. Maybe they'll be able to fix it and make it a viable spec, but there is a LOT to fix. Almost every aspect of it needs to be greatly adjusted (e.g. hammer skills) or totally reworked (F5 and utilities).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Hammer 3 Should pulse damage in a 200 radius. The circling orbs are hard to aim right, while also trying to use other skills at their varying ranges. If Catalyst is a "stable melee" character as described then change Hammer 3 to be similar to Primordial stance with weaver. 

Also, increase the duration. 5 sec is way too low. I don't get how that was missed. Just casting the skill feels like a good second lost. Double it at least. I'd rather make it 12 sec for smooth gameplay. 

The animation is cool though. That's the only thing I wouldn't change.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, yaminokami.9472 said:

Sorry but as the law of the market says, if you produce a product that most people don't like you are just destined to go out of business. No excuses. 

The point of having a honest feedback is not for the sake of critiques but to improve. 

The point is you cannot ask people what they think and then ignore it. It some point someone that gives us what we want will arrive and we will leave. It's just reality. 

There's a couple of big mmo releases on the horizon, what Anet should focus on is retaining as most as possible of the people that joined recently gw2 as filler waiting for other games and the exodus from wow as well. But instead of keeping them providing interesting fun classes to keep hype high most of the new classes looks just weird and very underpowered or not balanced compared to the existing ones. 

I personally don't enjoy criticism, I've been playing gw since 2005 and all I want is Anet to succeed cause I know they used to have very talented people there that made us a home in Tyria. 

My disappointment comes from the fact I am starting to doubt those people are even still there, as for what I've seen so far these classes looks made by someone that was doing a total different game. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, yaminokami.9472 said:

It is objectively bad. You dont need to be expert on design to see the many reasons why this spec is a complete failure.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, gandlethorpe.2641 said:

Sorry but trashing open world mobs simply does not prove anything right. This spec really makes consider to main something else (after 8 years).
From an already complex, squishy, non rewarding class...we have this new spec with no essence, nothing new and now...more complexity. 

Edited by HappyHour.6241
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, HappyHour.6241 said:

From an already complex, squishy, non rewarding class...we have this new spec with no essence, nothing new and now...more complexity. 

It's actually plenty tanky and is capable of stacking an obscene amount of boons, both defensive and offensive. But a lot of people here seem to completely avoid using the sphere that enables it.

• Confused 4

2 hours ago, gandlethorpe.2641 said:

Going in a Solo Open World battle, immediately blew all the utilities, and still lost 40% of HP fighting trash mob. That's the reason you got so many "confused" emotes.

People have posted Weaver solo HoT champs. How about you take that Catalyst build and see if you can solo HoT champs? If you can post a good video on soloing HoT champs, then it will support your point much better.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, gandlethorpe.2641 said:

It's actually plenty tanky and is capable of stacking an obscene amount of boons, both defensive and offensive. But a lot of people here seem to completely avoid using the sphere that enables it.

I can already solo like 99% of open world with my weaver. I can do anything besides world bosses and some really hard group events or stuff that requires too much work for only one player. I don't care if the new e-spec can do this because I already can WITHOUT the new e-spec. The thing is: Try to use your fancy sphere in a setting where your enemy moves away from it! In wvw or pvp this is just core ele with a different trait line that doesn't do that much. There is no point in using it in any competitive mode. But sure, kill some centaurs or veteran chaks and feel happy about it. But this e-spec doesn't make any sense for someone who mainly plays against REAL players.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2021 at 8:51 AM, yaminokami.9472 said:

MY issue is that i don't see how it could work in power. I was testing it just now lack of mobility no auras for gaining might for instance like the way scepter can, and range is super short.

I'm not sure what they are aiming for or if they know. Some feel nice like the earthquake although it doesn't reach enemies at long range only mid range tornado is nice because i don't have to be on top of enemies.