• the traits
    • lack of combo fields/auras
    • lack of mobility
    • lack of condi cleanse
    • everything, trash it all and start again
    • nothing significant, it's mostly fine
    • something else

• 2 weeks later...

Not only do I hate the way the Jade Sphere works (feels like absolutely nothing when you use it, unlike an overload which feels powerful), I also find it extremely annoying that my magical character that can summon a STORM OF LIGHTNING using his own power needs a piece of ENGINEER TECH to use his abilities.

I'm an Elementalist. When I want to mess around with holograms and junk I play my Engineer.

I absolutely detest using this off-theme piece of mechanical trash to use my own magic.

I can summon an ACTUAL PHOENIX MADE OF FIRE with the scepter, yet you want me to use a piece of technojunk to project a fake picture of a dancing water horse?

Edited by McZero.5318
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/17/2021 at 6:49 AM, Kodama.6453 said:

That they have chosen this clip to show their enjoyment with the spec does not mean they haven't tested it anywhere else, you realise that, right?

Sorry mate but no, they clearly haven't tested this anywhere else but on a huge hit box immobile test golem, and this is so clear as the sun in all the flows and bad design this spec has. I am just baffled on how some people even if a very very small number are defending the Anet on the Catalyst. I feel insulted by having had this presented to me for real as a playable class in GW2. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love the hammer on my asura, not a fan of the 600 range specs though, it should be melee all around.  At the very least, there needs to be one ability for the hammer in each atunement that either closes range to your target (charge) or creates range from the target (evade/leap back) so that you can stay in range of the weapon's abilities.

The Circular projectile (hammer 3) abilities are one of my favorite parts about catalyst, but they need some serious tuning.  They should deal damage to everything within their radius, not only at their radius.  How can you build a spec that uses melee attacks, and then give it these circular projectile 'auras' that only damage enemies at exactly 600 range from you?  If you're beating on them at 120 range your projectiles don't hit at all.
The Circular projectiles refreshing when you use another one is great, but the 5 second duration really fights this.  You can use one, maybe two attacks per atunement before having to switch to the next one to keep the circular projectiles active, and if you get CC'd in any way, shape, or form, you lose them all.  IMO, they need an 8-10 second duration, and I'd really like the "finisher" removed from this ability: instead of firing all of your active projectiles at a target, just make it so that recasting will refresh all of your projectiles.  You should be able to get all 4 up and maintain them indefinitely as long as you're switching atunements and casting every few seconds.  This whirlwind of elemental spheres around your character, to me, is kind of a defining visual for the catalyst.

I would even advocate removing the jade sphere/F5 mechanic entirely, and moving hammer 3 to F5 instead, with an appropriate buff to the ability.  Replace hammer 3 with something more oriented to each element (heal for water, damage/burn for fire, CC for earth, blind/knockback for air), and then make each circular projectile an elemental aura activated with F5, with one per element that you can get all going at once, and then make each circular projectile not only damage/effect enemies, but also grant auras and boons to nearby allies.  That would turn the catalyst into a true melee support/auramancer.

• Confused 1

So unhappy with catalyst in its current state. I really would prefer going with a different concept for espec mechanic. While I would like a different weapon hammer can be okay with minor changes.

posting from reddit again because this concept is just everything I could have hoped for.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

• 10 months later...
On 10/27/2021 at 3:59 PM, McZero.5318 said:

Not only do I hate the way the Jade Sphere works (feels like absolutely nothing when you use it, unlike an overload which feels powerful), I also find it extremely annoying that my magical character that can summon a STORM OF LIGHTNING using his own power needs a piece of ENGINEER TECH to use his abilities.

I'm an Elementalist. When I want to mess around with holograms and junk I play my Engineer.

I absolutely detest using this off-theme piece of mechanical trash to use my own magic.

I can summon an ACTUAL PHOENIX MADE OF FIRE with the scepter, yet you want me to use a piece of technojunk to project a fake picture of a dancing water horse?

Wait until we finally get the ranged weapon many of us want and it is a rifle next xpac....

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 9/8/2022 at 7:47 PM, Zunki.3916 said:

Wait until we finally get the ranged weapon many of us want and it is a rifle next xpac....

I certainly hope it's not rifle. That suits ele even less than people think hammer does. Hammer at least makes sense with things like earth attunement. Going rifle would turn ele into something like engineer which would be awful. Rather have something like long or shortbow that would be more likely to see more elemental mage like spells. Rather than something from borderlands. 

Edited by Serephen.3420
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Serephen.3420 said:

I certainly hope it's not rifle. That suits ele even less than people think hammer does. Hammer at least makes sense with things like earth attunement. Going rifle would turn ele into something like engineer which would be awful. Rather have something like ling or shortbow that would be more likely to see more elemental mage like spells. Rather than something from borderlands. 

And because probably many of us think this way it's gonna be rifle 🙂

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

On 9/8/2022 at 6:03 PM, scerevisiae.1972 said:

bumping this thread cause hammer still sucks and anet ought to fix it, because i didn't get what i paid for.

I like how these fanboys put confused on stuff they don't agree with.  I understood your comment perfectly.  Yeah, why have a hammer?  They offer it as a conjured weapon.

Edited by DtenCfour.3567
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, DtenCfour.3567 said:

I like how these fanboys put confused on stuff they don't agree with.  I understood your comment perfectly.  Yeah, why have a hammer?  They offer it as a conjured weapon.

I mean they could be putting confused because they don't understand why they think that way? (I didn't react myself so just an assumption)

Personally I originally hated the idea of hammer, disliked it in betas but eventually grew on me. Now it's my most played ele spec, even though I'm sad about the excessive nerfs. 

Scre had a fair point, which others with a different opinion are free to disagree with. 

Calling people fan boys for disagreeing about something is somewhat...immature.😅

Edited by Serephen.3420
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

hammer would have been fine if sword never existed, but back to back melee weapons when only other ranged weapons (staff/sceptre) have been in the game for 10yrs is just dumb.

then the fact that catalyst the spec is just core ele + a field - no changes to dagger/sceptre/staff - means the whole spec is basically just hammer.

and hammer sucks if you're not hitting a golem or camping a PVP capture point.

Edited by scerevisiae.1972
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

• 4 weeks later...

Having given feedback during the beta, I'm not sure what else there is to say about Catalyst other than what I said then: it doesn't do anything Weaver and Tempest didn't already do and do better, its traits are basically filler, and it's slow and clunky to play.  There was a brief window during the compensatory buffs when it felt okay to play, but still nothing special, and then they went and nerfed it again.  So.  I just ignore it now.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Animism.7530 said:

Wizard with a hammer... -_-

Revamp Staff please. Lost my patience for playing Ele despite wanting to. 

Staff got some nice changes not so long ago, it can actually work as a hybrid weapon now. Not the best but not bad either. 

Also...elementalist is not a wizard

Edited by Serephen.3420
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Animism.7530 said:

Yes. It is.

Play Mech rifle then tell me Staff ele is good. Thanks. 

I have played rifle mech which is quite boring but is no longer at the top now, virtuoso is. Maybe you should play a mesmer wizard.

That said, I didn't by any means say staff is amazing, just that it is at least somewhat decent now compared to before. I would be happy with more changes, especially in air attunement.

• Confused 2

12 minutes ago, Serephen.3420 said:

I have played rifle mech which is quite boring but is no longer at the top now, virtuoso is. Maybe you should play a mesmer wizard.

That said, I didn't by any means say staff is amazing, just that it is at least somewhat decent now compared to before. I would be happy with more changes, especially in air attunement.

It's fine for you to make a juxtaposition that the other spellcasters, magic users are wizards. 
But don't ignore the fact that there is a historical reason as to why Elementalists are associated with being the archetypal wizard. It's literally conjuring aspects of nature and relates to old religions, forming the basis for nearly all fantasy wizard tropes. The same way Necromancy and Illusionary magic is always associated as dark magic. From various religions to mythologies... 

Staff is rubbish. Small changes to something rubbish sound good. Did you use Staff back when it was a meta pDPS weapon? I'd accept for that period...? A long time ago. I posted vaguely what I think it should do in the other thread on this subforum. TLDR; a lower single target DPS weapon that should be one of the best, if not the best AOE weapons. 

Edited by Animism.7530
  • Like 4