Level 80 Boosts

Mediados.5783

It just levels you up, gives you some (not very useful in the long run) starter level 80 gear, and unlocks a few waypoints so you can go do some endgame event maps.

All the story stuff will still be there and you'll still be able to do it normally, in the right order. The game "downscales" you in lower-than-80 zones and instances, so it won't feel completely ridiculous, either (though you'll likely be able to clear it faster than with a character of lower level anyway; ime with the scaling you can still do 4x-10x the "normal" dps the content was made for).

Like Chrysaliss said, if this is your first character, probably don't burn it right away. You'll get a ton of confusing stuff to process. (Once you've been around a while, though, it's totally harmless to instant-level future alts with scrolls/tomes, imo, so you can get to the more complex stuff faster.)

Edited by ASP.8093
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Chrysaliss.8720 said:

You can play through any story at any time. Even if you have done it before. But do not boost if it is your first character. You will be overwhelmed and quit.

Thanks but dont worry, I have been playing this game for almost 10 years now XD

(on and off, that is)

I am levelling an Engineer anyways atm

11 minutes ago, ASP.8093 said:

It just levels you up, gives you some (not very useful in the long run) starter level 80 gear, and unlocks a few waypoints so you can go do some endgame event maps.

All the story stuff will still be there and you'll still be able to do it normally, in the right order. The game "downscales" you in lower-than-80 zones and instances, so it won't feel completely ridiculous, either (though you'll likely be able to clear it faster than with a character of lower level anyway; ime with the scaling you can still do 4x-10x the "normal" dps the content was made for).

Like Chrysaliss said, if this is your first character, probably don't burn it right away. You'll get a ton of confusing stuff to process. (Once you've been around a while, though, it's totally harmless to instant-level future alts with scrolls/tomes, imo, so you can get to the more complex stuff faster.)

Thanks, but I wont make use of any Lvl 80 Gear cause I want to still have some sort of challenge

• Confused 1

Levelling up will never lock you out of anything, either by levelling naturally or by using a boost or tomes of knowledge. Any story you haven't done will still be available, you can still go back to low level maps, you can even still do the tutorial achievements, but it might be harder to get the drops due to stuff scaling to your level.

1 hour ago, Mediados.5783 said:

Thanks, but I wont make use of any Lvl 80 Gear cause I want to still have some sort of challenge

I wouldn't worry about that, it gives you exotics with defensive stats (soldier's in most cases) which is ok but doesn't do a lot of damage and isn't recommended by most experienced players so it's not going to give you a big advantage. I think they do it deliberately to give players something that's good enough to start with but bad enough that they'll almost certainly want to replace it when they can.

• Like 1

Let's assume a level 70 character with level 60 rare gear.

Scaling in general works like this:

- the gear you have is checked versus your character level (if you have items of the same level as your character you are "at level", otherwise "below level"). In this case, you are wearing items which are 10 levels below your character level. As such, when scaling down to see what stats to give you, you will get reduced stats even when scaled down. In some cases far more reduced than if you were that level with the corresponding items

- the gear you have is checked for its "rarity", in this case you are wearing rare gear. Something which becomes available around level 40. You will still receive effective stats as though you had rare gear when downscaled, eve if such gear is not available

Why do player see such discrepancies? Simple:

- if you are wearing blue/green gear at below your level or even rare gear below your level, the stats hit you will take when downscaling is significant. The game tries to approximate what the correct stats would be, but will punish severely for not wearing "at level" gear

- the same works in the other direction though. If you are downscaled with "at level" gear, say exotic, you will get the corresponding stats of exotic gear, even when downleveled (ascended is a special case, since some areas of the game only scale up to exotic), even if exotic gear is not available at the level range AND the game is balanced around not exotic gear (say blue and greed items in low level zones). Which is why level 80s in full exotic/ascended are having such an easier time in downscaled areas

Edited by Cyninja.2954