Why can't eles get a good ELITE skill for once ?

Vissarion.6509

Let's go ahead and rate (personal opinion, you can go ahead and rate each one yourself):

• Tornado 3/10,  The most thematic elite ele has, in each current state it doesn't have ANY use in Pve, and only somewhat viable in PvP. It's a really cool skill effect but doesn't provide anything meaningful to core kit at least for 90% of the game's content. Also, obnoxiously long CD for no reason.
  • Glyph of elementals 5/10, an ok elite that at the same time doesn't feel like an elite skill. You can fire and forget most of the time, helpful in PvE because it can tank some enemies but other than that, doesn't bring any meaningful gameplay around it.
  • Conjure fiery Greatsword 4/10, this elite skill provides some useful kit, but outside of DPS rotations and maybe some utility in WvW, it's useless. Not to mention it's nerfed to oblivion. For many players, it's also clunky to use (when are we gonna get conjures as kits instead of summoning them on the ground...).
  • Rebound 2/10, This skill seriously feels like it was a last moment thought just to give an elite to tempest, it has its uses in some situations but its a bit clunky to use in most scenarios. Doesn't provide much in PvE outside some raid encounters if you play support and you want to save your team from instant death. In PvP you die from condies after you use it anyway.
  • Weave Self 6/10, The first actual offensive elite that feel a bit like an elite skill. It synergize well with weaver gameplay, rotate through attunements, get some buffs, and then release for some CC and dmg. It's a bit clunky to use in many scenarios but it has its uses nonetheless. The CD could be lower for what it provides (maybe 60 seconds would be perfect for PvE).

And now Catalyst:

• Elemental Celerity 0/10, Imo the worst elite that exist in the game right now, it is useless, it's supposed to lower CD on your skills on a spec with 20 skills. Right now you can only lower your skills by 8 seconds if you are fast with attacking with a pitiful boon tact on that is super clunky to get. Doesn't provide anything meaningful, and it feels AGAIN an afterthought tact on skill to complete Catalyst spec. I don't see anyone utilizing this anywhere in game.

Again these are all my thoughts, feel free to post your thought on elite skills.

Edited by Vissarion.6509
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 4

5 minutes ago, Bleikopf.2491 said:

I don't think the Elites are necessarily as bad as you are describing them.

On the other hand..
I find myself time and time again thinking "man, if only I could swap my elite for another utility" and that cannot be right.

Yeah exactly, there are utilities that bring a lot more gameplay and uses than those elites.

• Like 5

I've always wanted an elite signet (we don't have one) that has:

Signet of Arcana

Passive: Increase attunement recharge rate

Active: Instantly refresh all Attunements (unravel)

The other alternative is being able to take another utility skill, as most are just better than what is available in the elite slot. Like honestly, even if something like signet of air was an elite skill, it would be slotted like 90% of the time.

• Like 3

Tornado is an incredibly useful skill for competitive modes, particularly in WvW where its cool down is at a much more manageable level. Combining it with Lightening Rod makes it down right lethal and can easily turn the fights in the Elementalists favor.

Glyph of Elemental is not as bad as it seems, it basically gives you a stun on demand with Air and a full Heal from Water. The Fire Elemental can also hit like a truck. The only downsides to it are the Creatures are pretty frail, AoE usually takes them out quickly or if they are focused and the Earth Elemental, while it has more defense, doesn't really do enough damage and doesn't really last much longer than the others.

Fiery Great Sword is one of the strongest conjures in the game. If anyone thinks its weak, they clearly haven't been comparing its damage with other weapons while on a glass build. The thing auto attacks for over 1k (EDIT: to clarify, each swing of the AA is around 1K, the full AA hits four times meaning it really hits for a little higher than a 4K AA) and I've literally 100 -> 0 players with a combo of Fiery Rush and Fiery Whirl. Not to mention it still has its mobility to offer.

Rebound is a skill that works as a great safety net. It has its uses, particularly with large telegraphic attacks and the auras it offers on the side work well with how Tempest players in general. Interesting that you said you think Rebound feels last minute. The original Rebound just increased the cool down of their next attack, so they slapped the healing on lethal strike on later.

Weave Self makes Weaver Playable. The increase to attunement swaps plus the passive bonuses really make it arguably the best Elite we've had in terms of just overall utility. Not to mention is also doubles as a CC skill. It may not be 'big damage' but it makes Weaver much more fluid to play and buffs them as well.

I haven't played Catalyst yet, but its also the beta so we'll see how it changes over time.

These are WvW/PvP relaated views.

Edited by fuzzyp.6295
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, fuzzyp.6295 said:

Interesting that you said you think Rebound feels last minute. The original Rebound just increased the cool down of their next attack, so they slapped the healing on lethal strike on later.

I remember that, they didn't have enough time to make something else and instead pasted this effect because the previous was a useless skill.

If only we could use utilities as elites, it wouls open up more spec options. As it is now all i play is fa weaver and all i do is pvp. The elite i use most is weave self but i rarely if ever use the skill. It can help in slight moments but if im ever close enough for the cc effect to matter as a fa ele i be dead by then. 

I would love to use a utility as a elite skill slot. 

Edited by Eddbopkins.2630

1 minute ago, Eddbopkins.2630 said:

If only we could use utilities as elites, it wouls open up more spec options. As it is now all i play is fa weaver and all i do is pvp. The elite i use most is weave self but i rarely if ever use the skill. It can help in slight moments but if im ever close enough for the cc effect to matter as a fa ele i be dead by then. 

I would love to use a utility as a elite skill slot. 

If it helps, both Torando and FGS are much better elites to slot in for a Fresh Air Ele than Weave Self. With FA you have quicker access to Air attunement so the reduction on cooldown isn't too important for your burst. You don't get any benefit from the Fire effect, you have plenty of Superspeed with base Air, Boon upkeep isn't as important on FA (and you don't heal). Only really the Earth benefit is really helping, and even then like you said, you don't want to be close to people. If you're using it for the CC, you'd be better off with Tornado.

9 minutes ago, fuzzyp.6295 said:

If it helps, both Torando and FGS are much better elites to slot in for a Fresh Air Ele than Weave Self. With FA you have quicker access to Air attunement so the reduction on cooldown isn't too important for your burst. You don't get any benefit from the Fire effect, you have plenty of Superspeed with base Air, Boon upkeep isn't as important on FA (and you don't heal). Only really the Earth benefit is really helping, and even then like you said, you don't want to be close to people. If you're using it for the CC, you'd be better off with Tornado.

Yeah i probably would be better off with sometging else, but i wouls still have to use it and they all are just baad. Fgs is like 200 sec cd, once in a match moment total uselessness imo. Tornado doesnt usually work for me you get come a target for chill and deeps from the enemy. 

The very few times i remember/care to use wrave self like 1-2 times in a match it boost my speed or gives me added protection depending on the attunment im in. And it doesnt change my skills like fgs or tornado. 

If only ele had something like entangling vines biggest bs elite 48 second cheat skill

Edited by Eddbopkins.2630