Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, We've encountered a number of issues with the initial beta of World Restructuring and we've decided that our best course of action is to revert back to the World Linking system while w

Thank you for your patience today, everyone. Obviously things didn't go the way we had intended, but it was still an incredibly valuable exercise for the team. We learned a lot, to say the least. We a

I don't understand this negativity. They are trying to change one of the biggest game modes and it is bound to have issues. I mean, yeah it has been in talks for 4 years, but we all know the condition

There are several players who are mad on anet for a totally wrong reason. In essence, there were two issues:

1) there were multiple instances of the same wvw map

2) although guild members did everything correctly with choosing the wvw guild, they were assigned to random worlds

 

the remaining issues are either minor or simply the result of the system being new to everyone. Of course there is no tag up. Nobody knew what would be happening. Of course the design is not perfect but hey, one could still play. Of course there are massive queues but that is the consequence of something new coming. I know that the dominant opinion is that it was "kitten" but I also want you to look at the potential and not only at the current state,

  • Like 4
  • Confused 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, gloflop.3510 said:

There are several players who are mad on anet for a totally wrong reason. In essence, there were two issues:

1) there were multiple instances of the same wvw map

2) although guild members did everything correctly with choosing the wvw guild, they were assigned to random worlds

 

the remaining issues are either minor or simply the result of the system being new to everyone.

Oh, that are really good news. So waiting for hours until you got on a map that filled only with 20 players is not a big issue at all. That really calms my nerves. So I expect that when the new alliance system is up and running not more than 100 player can play WvW at once. No big issue if more player have to wait and can't play. They just have to be patience.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BadHealer.3608 said:

Oh, that are really good news. So waiting for hours until you got on a map that filled only with 20 players is not a big issue at all. That really calms my nerves. So I expect that when the new alliance system is up and running not more than 100 player can play WvW at once. No big issue if more player have to wait and can't play. They just have to be patience.

 Patience is a rare Ressource for a Hobby. When you have Work and a Family you don't have that much time anymore. So a WS of 2 Hours+ is a No Go for me. I want to play the game and not a Patience Simulator. 

Edited by Grebcol.5984
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am disappointed, because I was looking forward to this.  But this is part of beta testing: bugs come up, things get put on pause so they can be addressed, etc.

 

I'd also like to really encourage people to consider that while ANet is a company, it's comprised of devs who are real people.  Real people who have been pouring their creative energies into working on this, troubleshooting it, squishing bugs, etc.  And who (in probably most circumstances) were not necessarily the people who were making some of the over-arching decisions about how/when things get prioritized or rolled out.  I know this is frustrating for us as players, but I imagine it's also frustrating for the devs who are working hard on this and wanted it to go smoothly.  Remembering that there are real people involved in this doesn't mean giving everything a free pass or being forced to be happy about how things are turning out.  It might mean acknowledging that multiple things can be true at the same time.  Devs can have worked really hard on this, and it can also not have gone well.  Players can be really disappointed (especially with how long we've been waiting for this), and we can also communicate that disappointment constructively.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Really unfortunate to just cancel a whole week worth of beta. 

 

There were bugs during other betas of new classes, did they cancel that beta? NO! They patched it and kept going.

 

At least a relink. No reason at all not too, except Anet is not authorizing the resources for people to get it done late on a Friday.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Redseven.3985 said:

I transferred regions (EU -> NA) for this beta, and I am now locked due to the only every 7 days limit. I would like to be able to transfer again immediately please. It is not fair that I am stuck now because you have reverted alliances. 

I'd say submit a ticket, I'm sure they'd reply and try and help you out in a timely manner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Yolaus Kriff.3465 said:

Really unfortunate to just cancel a whole week worth of beta. 

 

There were bugs during other betas of new classes, did they cancel that beta? NO! They patched it and kept going.

 

At least a relink. No reason at all not too, except Anet is not authorizing the resources for people to get it done late on a Friday.

There's bugs with other classes yes, but it was still playable. Imagine playing WvW for like 20 minutes, seeing a queue of 40+, then getting logged off because of a bug and now you have to wait in the queue. Now think of that happening a few times. Would you even want to try and play? It's better that they pull it and work on it with patience than trying to do a hot fix that could potentially make it worse.

 

It's definitely a bummer that it happened, but at least you know the devs are caring about the quality than just saying you get what you get.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, BadHealer.3608 said:

Oh, that are really good news. So waiting for hours until you got on a map that filled only with 20 players is not a big issue at all. That really calms my nerves. So I expect that when the new alliance system is up and running not more than 100 player can play WvW at once. No big issue if more player have to wait and can't play. They just have to be patience.

It belongs to me to point 1). Yes it is an issue. That you have to wait long at the first time something new is up, is normal. It will become better with some time. That you wait long for empty maps (or wrong instances) is an issue.

 

12 minutes ago, Jevati.4328 said:

I'd also like to really encourage people to consider that while ANet is a company, it's comprised of devs who are real people.  Real people who have been pouring their creative energies into working on this, troubleshooting it, squishing bugs, etc.  And who (in probably most circumstances) were not necessarily the people who were making some of the over-arching decisions about how/when things get prioritized or rolled out.  I know this is frustrating for us as players, but I imagine it's also frustrating for the devs who are working hard on this and wanted it to go smoothly.  Remembering that there are real people involved in this doesn't mean giving everything a free pass or being forced to be happy about how things are turning out.  It might mean acknowledging that multiple things can be true at the same time.  Devs can have worked really hard on this, and it can also not have gone well.  Players can be really disappointed (especially with how long we've been waiting for this), and we can also communicate that disappointment constructively.

excellent point!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Amarok.2147 said:

There's bugs with other classes yes, but it was still playable. Imagine playing WvW for like 20 minutes, seeing a queue of 40+, then getting logged off because of a bug and now you have to wait in the queue. Now think of that happening a few times. Would you even want to try and play? It's better that they pull it and work on it with patience than trying to do a hot fix that could potentially make it worse.

 

It's definitely a bummer that it happened, but at least you know the devs are caring about the quality than just saying you get what you get.

I'm not as optimistic anymore. This feels more like they screwed up really bad and gave up. We'll see if they bring another beta soon or if it's another 4 years

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Amarok.2147 said:

There's bugs with other classes yes, but it was still playable. Imagine playing WvW for like 20 minutes, seeing a queue of 40+, then getting logged off because of a bug and now you have to wait in the queue. Now think of that happening a few times. Would you even want to try and play? It's better that they pull it and work on it with patience than trying to do a hot fix that could potentially make it worse.

 

It's definitely a bummer that it happened, but at least you know the devs are caring about the quality than just saying you get what you get.

That is a bug that has existed for as long as WvW has existed, lol. I am certain it had nothing to do with them reverting - it's not even a blip on the radar. 

The catastrophic failure of of the matchmaker to recognize WvW guild selection and dump people on wrong teams despite saying they where on the right team was probably so widespread it wasnt possible to deal with it in any limited fashion, that's the big bug. It wouldnt surprise me if some teams where massivly larger than they where supposed to be. The instancing issue is didnt help either (probably related to the failure to recognize which actual team the player is on).

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Perhaps they can fix this until Tuesday and relaunch the beta then? Would be cool, I was looking forward to seeing how the whole thing actually works.

Weekend now, then they would probably have less than a day to get it cleared for patching the next... I highly doubt thats realistic. 

We dont even know the extent of it. I wonder if something as "simple" as the WvW GUI failed as well to update, since it still had the old worlds and links and not the new teams. If it was supposed to be like that it was incredibly confusing.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Perhaps they can fix this until Tuesday and relaunch the beta then? Would be cool, I was looking forward to seeing how the whole thing actually works.

 

It was never going to be quick fix, they said hopefully in the next few weeks, so hopefully they follow up with that promise, cause the Server relinks are also next week.

This week's matchups aren't even right aswell, many servers are in the wrong tiers, but it is an irrelevant week.

Edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jevati.4328 said:

I am disappointed, because I was looking forward to this.  But this is part of beta testing: bugs come up, things get put on pause so they can be addressed, etc.

 

I'd also like to really encourage people to consider that while ANet is a company, it's comprised of devs who are real people.  Real people who have been pouring their creative energies into working on this, troubleshooting it, squishing bugs, etc.  And who (in probably most circumstances) were not necessarily the people who were making some of the over-arching decisions about how/when things get prioritized or rolled out.  I know this is frustrating for us as players, but I imagine it's also frustrating for the devs who are working hard on this and wanted it to go smoothly.  Remembering that there are real people involved in this doesn't mean giving everything a free pass or being forced to be happy about how things are turning out.  It might mean acknowledging that multiple things can be true at the same time.  Devs can have worked really hard on this, and it can also not have gone well.  Players can be really disappointed (especially with how long we've been waiting for this), and we can also communicate that disappointment constructively.

This. Yeah I'm disappointed. My designated guild had set up several extra WvW events this weekend so we could all try the beta together. Yes, I was very much looking forward to being able to run with guildies who were on different servers. However, given the magnitude of the bugs, I'm also glad Anet canceled the beta and that us folks on the NA servers escaped all the hassle the EU folks had to go through. And I hope the beta will be back on again soon.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • ArenaNet Staff

Thank you for your patience today, everyone. Obviously things didn't go the way we had intended, but it was still an incredibly valuable exercise for the team. We learned a lot, to say the least. We aspire to have our testing environments mirror the Live servers as much as possible, but there's nothing like having thousands of real players crash into a system all at once to expose issues!

 

To address some baseless FUD I've been seeing in some community corners, our long-term plans for World Restructuring remain unchanged. We still intend to approach feature development iteratively and keep you informed of progress every step of the way, including the successes and failures. Like the opening post mentioned, we will pull together a post-mortem analysis of the issues that impacted today's beta and share it openly with the community. Closely examining what went wrong - and remembering to celebrate what went right - is incredibly important in software/game development. If you want a refresher on our philosophical approach to World Restructuring, check out this blog post.

 

I did want to extend both a heartfelt thank you to all of the server leaders, guild leaders, and commanders that rallied their communities for this first beta test. We've been keeping a close eye on server communities the past few weeks to better understand the social dynamics involved with the shift to World Restructuring. I know it must be frustrating to see your organization efforts not pay off today, but we'll be back as soon as we can to give it another shot.

 

In case this post gets some traction, I did want to reconfirm that the WvW Bonus XP Event will remain active as planned. World relinks will come with next week's reset.

 

Have a great weekend and see you next week,

 

-j

 

Edited by Josh Davis.7865
  • Like 37
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yolaus Kriff.3465 said:

I'm not as optimistic anymore. This feels more like they screwed up really bad and gave up. We'll see if they bring another beta soon or if it's another 4 years

 

They didn't give up, they've reset everything back to normal so people can enjoy reset and wvw as normal. You have no idea what kind of work goes into redoing relinks and trying to do the match ups properly. They've put all that energy into matching up every single person and guild into alliances and getting it evenly spread. You're literally whining because the game isn't perfect on beta which is bound to have bugs..

 

They've said relinks next week. If it's such an issue, you can just take the week off fam.. lulz.

Edited by amberrosalie.5381
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...