Deadly Aim

BobbyT.7192

7 hours ago, BobbyT.7192 said:

Quick question, does this trait really need the 5% damage reduction? Is balance really thrown off with out it?

(Critical strikes trait that makes your pistols pierce at the cost of a 5% out going damage reduction)

There’s absolutely 0 reason for the dmg reduction. It was just arbitrarily put in there, honestly. I would MAYBE understand in regard to ricochet.

Edited by AikijinX.6258
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, BobbyT.7192 said:

Quick question, does this trait really need the 5% damage reduction? Is balance really thrown off with out it?

No, the 200+ ferocity you miss out on by not taking Practiced Tolerance is already more than enough of a trade-off. If you look at other weapon specific traits you usually get two to tree out of the following effect categories:

- 200-300 of a specific stat
- 20% cooldown reduction for the related weapon skills (I guess for thief a rough equivalent would be "initiative cost -1")
- a weapon specific bonus effect (in this case piercing projectiles)

Now thief's weapon traits for base game weapons are already rather underwhelming but Deadly Aim is the only weapon related trait I know of that not only has only one benefit but also adds a penalty on top of it and neither pistol nor the harpoon-gun are overperforming to the point where such a treatment would be justified. But just for comparison here is what Lead the Wind (a similar trait for ranger longbow) does:

- Striking foes beyond the range threshold grants boons.
- Your longbow and harpoon-gun skills pierce. (same as Deadly Aim)
- Your longbow and harpoon-gun skills recharge faster. (by 20%)

Edited by Tails.9372
  • Like 2

It exists solely as a perfect example of how much the devs hate us. Meanwhile look at ranger's pierce traits + they get projectile speed increase to prevent them from glitching out like ours do nearly every shot in pvp.

Also; give me Ricochet back right meow. 😠

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Doggie.3184 said:

It exists solely as a perfect example of how much the devs hate us. Meanwhile look at ranger's pierce traits + they get projectile speed increase to prevent them from glitching out like ours do nearly every shot in pvp.

Also; give me Ricochet back right meow. 😠

I always wanted them to bring back ricochet in a way that can be used in any range set. Kinda like this

Ricochet: Projectile finishers and bolts for whirl finishers bounce 1 addition time.

I would think this would be the most fair way of bringing it back. Plus would work well with other part of the thief's kit (this with daggerstorm would be cool)

Although I thought about this idea before PoF and deadeyes, and I don't think that devs will give death's judgement the ability to bounce.....but could you imagine 😆

Edited by BobbyT.7192
  • Like 1

The way I remember Deadly Aim getting into the game was the balance team at the time was obsessed with getting us to take power rifle into raids. At launch I think dagger was top deadeye DPS by a pretty big margin, and because p/p didn't root you it was the preferred range option since damage wasn't that far apart. So you had a lot of people who really wanted their sniper assassin complaining about it. A long story short, anet began looking at core thief and since Rifle could already pierce, the damage reduction on the trait is insurance that pistol won't find a way to out damage it, at least in theory.