Binding Roots targeting needs to be updated or reworked

Ferahn.2896

Playing against Rangers that is running around with Jacaranda spamming roots is beyond infuriating. Getting out of the roots is a massive chore and with some weapons or builds its flat out impossible. Combine the root together with that you're getting focused and you're just in for 10+ minutes of anti-fun. I commonly play Renegade with a shortbow and half of the time that I get rooted I just can't target it or hit it. Either I can't shoot it or the game is telling me that my abilities that I very much have energy for and are off cooldown that they're not available for use.

Roots in itself are perfectly fine and can be a great addition to the game. However roots such as Binding Roots need to be integrated in a way that they're actually fun and engaging to play against which is sadly not the case right now. For me the issues with the root is as follows: Lacking audio and visual cue, really hard to target, unclear what you can and can't hit it with.

Personal recommendations: Either bugfix the root so you can actually target and kill it reliably without having the game send you warnings that you're spells aren't working while they're available or do a full out rework from the ground and make the ability actually fun to play against without having your players tilt into the wall.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 10

2 hours ago, Ferahn.2896 said:

Playing against Rangers that is running around with Jacaranda spamming roots is beyond infuriating. Getting out of the roots is a massive chore and with some weapons or builds its flat out impossible. Combine the root together with that you're getting focused and you're just in for 10+ minutes of anti-fun. I commonly play Renegade with a shortbow and half of the time that I get rooted I just can't target it or hit it. Either I can't shoot it or the game is telling me that my abilities that I very much have energy for and are off cooldown that they're not available for use.

Roots in itself are perfectly fine and can be a great addition to the game. However roots such as Binding Roots need to be integrated in a way that they're actually fun and engaging to play against which is sadly not the case right now. For me the issues with the root is as follows: Lacking audio and visual cue, really hard to target, unclear what you can and can't hit it with.

Personal recommendations: Either bugfix the root so you can actually target and kill it reliably without having the game send you warnings that you're spells aren't working while they're available or do a full out rework from the ground and make the ability actually fun to play against without having your players tilt into the wall.

The mechanic is annoying to play against.  But,  from your comment i can clearly understand that you don't know the mechanics of binding roots and your own class.  Learn that and you will be able to escape it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

Yeah im convinced, that you just got killed by binding roots thought to yourself man I lost this move must be overpowered because im awesome. Then you proceeded to come to the forums and complain about said move because if some one like you lost to it, it has to be OP amirite?

Yea, No Put condition cleanse on your bar or you can use a movement tool the move isn't OP you need to learn to play.  People gotta stop trying to win games on the forums.

• Like 4
  • Confused 4

5 hours ago, Ferahn.2896 said:

You don't have to tilt into the wall. Point Blank shot does that for you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

They are annoying to target.

How much health do they have, like 7-10k?

If I am freed from the origin point, but not out of the radius from my rooted pointed, the re-root radius from the origin point exceeds the radius listed in the skill tool tip.

Just one of the many annoying things about ranger, but I live with it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Genesis.5169 said:

Yeah im convinced, that you just got killed by binding roots thought to yourself man I lost this move must be overpowered because im awesome. Then you proceeded to come to the forums and complain about said move because if some one like you lost to it, it has to be OP amirite?

Yea, No Put condition cleanse on your bar or you can use a movement tool the move isn't OP you need to learn to play.  People gotta stop trying to win games on the forums.

Pointing out bugs and unintended behavoir =/= crying for nerfs. 

Reworking roots to work properly would be a net positive for the game. 

Unless you think having certain projectiles  "miss" on roots even when not blinded or targeted spells fail to activate is good for the game. 

The solution to the former is as simple as giving roots a bigger hurtbox.  There's a limit to how far down you can aim your projectiles. You cannot aim at a 90 degree angle downwards, which is a problem when roots spawn directly under your feet.

If you make the hurtbox bigger the projectile will be able to connect. This may also fix the issue with targeted spells. 

Simple fix. No other nerfs required. 

Edited by Kuma.1503
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Ferahn.2896 said:

Ok, heere is how to get out of root.

Cleanse condition and dodge or deal dmg to root.  This works for any class.

Then there are class mechanics that you can use to leave such as warrior using any movement skill when traited. 

For revenant,  you can simply swap to Shiro and use your stun break to get out if you have no more cleanses.  If you are herald,  you can trait so that movement skills remove immobolize. 

2 hours ago, lightDestroyer.1265 said:

Ok, heere is how to get out of root.

Cleanse condition and dodge or deal dmg to root.  This works for any class.

Then there are class mechanics that you can use to leave such as warrior using any movement skill when traited. 

For revenant,  you can simply swap to Shiro and use your stun break to get out if you have no more cleanses.  If you are herald,  you can trait so that movement skills remove immobolize. 

1. You must time your cleanse so you'll get out of roots between application interval otherwise you'll just burn cleanse for nothing.
2. Some weapons doesn't interact with roots in the slightest.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TrollingDemigod.3041 said:

1. You must time your cleanse so you'll get out of roots between application interval otherwise you'll just burn cleanse for nothing.
2. Some weapons doesn't interact with roots in the slightest.

Nah tou dont need to time it that much,  just cleanse and immediately dodge and you should be fine. 

And to those who attack root,  well no one does it the higher rank you go. 

Edited by lightDestroyer.1265

On 9/28/2021 at 12:57 PM, lightDestroyer.1265 said:

The mechanic is annoying to play against.  But,  from your comment i can clearly understand that you don't know the mechanics of binding roots and your own class.  Learn that and you will be able to escape it. 

Mate he literally said  for some builds it is impossible and it is true 🤣

I agree with the OP the use of the roots is a bit braindead at the moment, it would be nice to have it targetable + to have some visual effects signaling the use of it. Also from POV of the ranger they can be bit clunky at times.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mik.3401 said:

Mate he literally said  for some builds it is impossible and it is true 🤣

I agree with the OP the use of the roots is a bit braindead at the moment, it would be nice to have it targetable + to have some visual effects signaling the use of it. Also from POV of the ranger they can be bit clunky at times.

Mate,  just condi cleanse and dodge, works everytime. 

13 minutes ago, lightDestroyer.1265 said:

Mate,  just condi cleanse and dodge, works everytime. 

You don’t need to explain it to me I know it, yet not all builds can do it on demand or even at all and that’s a fact. I’m happy that you learned how to get out of it though - bravo!

Edited by Mik.3401
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Mik.3401 said:

You don’t need to explain it to me I know it, yet not all builds can do it on demand or even at all and that’s a fact. I’m happy that you learned how to get out of it though - bravo!

If your build cant cleanse maybe your build is the problem?  

Edited by lightDestroyer.1265
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, lightDestroyer.1265 said:

If your build cant cleanse maybe your build is the problem?  

The person I quoted first said some builds as I underlined many times and you keep saying I cannot cleanse / one’s build need to be fixed xD. If you are so curious I play many builds but that’s irrelevant to the point - some builds have little or no cleanse to deal with the roots.

Is it possible to get out of roots when you are on glass build? Sure you could weaponswap with sigil of cleansing, is it reliable? Not always.

You could take a build with more cleansing, but that wouldn’t be the same build anymore. Hence ——> some builds cannot deal with the roots reliably.

Edited by Mik.3401

3 hours ago, Mik.3401 said:

The person I quoted first said some builds as I underlined many times and you keep saying I cannot cleanse / one’s build need to be fixed xD. If you are so curious I play many builds but that’s irrelevant to the point - some builds have little or no cleanse to deal with the roots.

Is it possible to get out of roots when you are on glass build? Sure you could weaponswap with sigil of cleansing, is it reliable? Not always.

You could take a build with more cleansing, but that wouldn’t be the same build anymore. Hence ——> some builds cannot deal with the roots reliably.

Ok here's the thing.  I can't complain abkut getting cced if i take 1 stun break,  that is my fault.  So, yeah you just can't play any build.  You need to actually think about scenario of you being cced or too much condi pressure. 

What do you expect? That you will make any build and be able to deal with everything?  You need to know the advantages and disadvantages of your class and how to play it,  how to dodge etc. 

2 hours ago, lightDestroyer.1265 said:

Ok here's the thing.  I can't complain abkut getting cced if i take 1 stun break,  that is my fault.  So, yeah you just can't play any build.  You need to actually think about scenario of you being cced or too much condi pressure. 

What do you expect? That you will make any build and be able to deal with everything?  You need to know the advantages and disadvantages of your class and how to play it,  how to dodge etc. 

Some builds can deal with roots easily, some cannot do it with ease. That’s the point period.

Adjusting build to situation is obvious but that’s not the point that has been made from the very start. Of course no glass dps intends to duel  core/trapper rangers because it’s stupid considering how tanky they are, but once they encounter one in a team fight they can have problem and that’s it.

Not a big deal just a fact, if the roots had clearer animation it would be just easier to respond to with those builds. These some builds.

I’m not sure if that’s the response you wished for but well I’ve been saying that from the start - some builds - not all builds - neither what I play - neither that I cannot cleanse.

Edited by Mik.3401

7 hours ago, lightDestroyer.1265 said:

There are builds that produce more condis than you have available condi cleanses in your entire class.
The immobilize itself isn't problem, the roots that reapply it are a problem, which you somehow try to justify by "just bring cleanse kewk and dodge". With this claim you THINK that it'll be the only condition on you for your whole existence which is incorrect.
Builds that are created around abusing that mechanic usually produce kitten load of condis on top of that, so your pseudo cleanse that removes whopping 1-3 condis on 30s cd will do nothing. Additionally you still need to time it perfectly between immobilze applications and DODGE within that time frame otherwise you'll get trapped once again, since evade doesn't last for whole character roll animation.
Stop defending broken mechanics.

10 minutes ago, TrollingDemigod.3041 said:

There are builds that produce more condis than you have available condi cleanses in your entire class.
The immobilize itself isn't problem, the roots that reapply it are a problem, which you somehow try to justify by "just bring cleanse kewk and dodge". With this claim you THINK that it'll be the only condition on you for your whole existence which is incorrect.
Builds that are created around abusing that mechanic usually produce kitten load of condis on top of that, so your pseudo cleanse that removes whopping 1-3 condis on 30s cd will do nothing. Additionally you still need to time it perfectly between immobilze applications and DODGE within that time frame otherwise you'll get trapped once again, since evade doesn't last for whole character roll animation.
Stop defending broken mechanics.

Ok dude.  You are completely right.  Condi ranger is the meta.  All other builds bow down to the great ROOTS.

In all seriousness, people can and do condi cleanse to avoid the main source of dmg.  People do beat it to the point of making it irrelevant at the top,  playing condi druid only for fun.  You don't have to time kitten,  just cleanse and dodge immediately. If you waste your cleanse,  it is your fault.

Condi ranger might feel overpowered at first. Play the class and you will know how to counter them. 

Example,  most condi rangers main source of dmg is aoe,  try not to stand on it.  If ranger is using 2 traps,  they have only 1 stun break.  Cc them and kill them.  Condi rangers might also lack confi cleanse. Above all,  just pressure them with huge power dmg.

59 minutes ago, lightDestroyer.1265 said:

Ok dude.  You are completely right.  Condi ranger is the meta.  All other builds bow down to the great ROOTS.

In all seriousness, people can and do condi cleanse to avoid the main source of dmg.  People do beat it to the point of making it irrelevant at the top,  playing condi druid only for fun.  You don't have to time kitten,  just cleanse and dodge immediately. If you waste your cleanse,  it is your fault.

Condi ranger might feel overpowered at first. Play the class and you will know how to counter them. 

Example,  most condi rangers main source of dmg is aoe,  try not to stand on it.  If ranger is using 2 traps,  they have only 1 stun break.  Cc them and kill them.  Condi rangers might also lack confi cleanse. Above all,  just pressure them with huge power dmg.

In all seriousness can you guys stop using "but it's not meta" as an argument to defend broken mechanics in the game? If it's broken it needs fixes, doesn't matter if it's meta or not, for real.
How does "countering" them fixes the main problem of "vines"? Just because you're capable of killing them it doesn't magically fix the problem in game code, does it now?
You can counter anything and everything if you tune yourself to do it on very specific build on very specific class, but it DOESN'T fix the main problem...
Why you people always try to go around the problem all the time instead of just fixing the source of it, are you trying to get into A-net team or something?