Bladesworn artwork is really bad.

ZeftheWicked.3076

I know there are bigger issues  out there, but everytime i see it.... i just can't.
This art completely misses it's mark and totally fails to convey it's message.
Let's start from the top:

1. Why is a Canthan profession depicted by big black buff dude?
Cantha is an asian themed area, which according to lore was sealed off to outsiders for good two centuries. So pretty sure I should be seeing an asian bladesworn there. More over the "Black community inclusion box" has been checked with Spellbreaker, which is fully justified in his case and is done WAY better on many levels...

2. Sheathed Gunsaber.
So remember how I said Spellbreaker does it way better? His artwork clearly shows profession weapons front and center.
Bladesworn? The gunsaber is sheathed and that makes it look no different that just some decorative sword. It's unsheathed gunsaber that looks like gunsaber and cannot be mistaken with anything else.

3. Draconic armor. Really?
Spellbreaker wears elonian garments, indictive of his ethnic background and culture. One glimpse tells "this guy is from the Desert regions". Here? Well...this guy is from core Tyria, obviously..

4. Offhand pistol anyone?
Has anyone seen it? I heard Bladesworns use offhand pistols, but apparently the artwork thinks otherwise.

Now if we had artwork that depicts actual Canthan Bladesworn in his dragon trigger stance with gunsaber exposed and pistol on the side of hip facing the player, that would be a major improvement imho.

Edited by ZeftheWicked.3076
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

1. Why is a Canthan profession depicted by big black buff dude?
Cantha is an asian themed area, which according to lore was sealed off to outsiders for good two centuries. So pretty sure I should be seeing an asian bladesworn there. More over the "Black community inclusion box" has been checked with Spellbreaker, which is fully justified in his case and is done WAY better on many levels...

It's because the classes get always represented by the same character. Warrior always got represented by this black Norn dude. It was a coincidence that it fit well with the Elonian spec spellbreaker.

Similar stuff happens with other classes. For example: engineer always gets represented by a Charr. It made perfect sense for core engi and scrapper, but didn't fit for holosmith, since an Asura or Human would have been better choices for that specific elite spec. But because classes always get represented by the same character, the holosmith ends up being a Charr.

2. Sheathed Gunsaber.
So remember how I said Spellbreaker does it way better? His artwork clearly shows profession weapons front and center.
Bladesworn? The gunsaber is sheathed and that makes it look no different that just some decorative sword. It's unsheathed gunsaber that looks like gunsaber and cannot be mistaken with anything else.

I guess they made it this way to represent the sheathing mechanic, since dragon trigger IS the most iconic mechanic in bladesworn.

3. Draconic armor. Really?
Spellbreaker wears elonian garments, indictive of his ethnic background and culture. One glimpse tells "this guy is from the Desert regions". Here? Well...this guy is from core Tyria, obviously..

On this, I agree. They could have chosen a more Canthan armor style for the picture, especially something that leans more in the samurai design, which was clearly a great inspiration for bladesworn in general.

4. Offhand pistol anyone?
Has anyone seen it? I heard Bladesworns use offhand pistols, but apparently the artwork thinks otherwise.

Makes sense, tho. While you are using the gunsaber, your other weapon set is hidden.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kodama.6453 said:

It's because the classes get always represented by the same character. Warrior always got represented by this black Norn dude. It was a coincidence that it fit well with the Elonian spec spellbreaker.

kitten, that's me being blind. I never did notice a pattern there, though was wondering why they keep shoving asuras into necromancer artwork. That makes perfect sense now.

As for gunsaber - sheathed gunsaber in this artwork does poor job of conveying any message. It looks like a sheathed sword with some explosion effects. It would display profession mechanic if it was sheathed but in Dragon Trigger stance. That very position immediately conveys samurai/Iaijutsu feeling.
..not to mention the irony of us never being able to sheathe our gunsabers ingame ;]

The offhand pistol might not be seen ingame when using gunsaber, but here art could bend the rules a little. If it can show sheathed gunsaber (impossibility ingame), it could show a stowed pistol for sake of clearly displaying weapons this spec uses.

Edited by ZeftheWicked.3076

3 minutes ago, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

..not to mention the irony of us never being able to sheathe our gunsabers ingame ;]

The offhand pistol might not be seen ingame when using gunsaber, but here art could bend the rules a little. If it can show sheathed gunsaber (impossibility ingame), it could show a stowed pistol for sake of clearly displaying weapons this spec uses.

Gunsaber can be sheathed in the game, tho?

It is sheathed while you are charging up the dragon trigger, which is the primary mechanic of the elite spec.

1 minute ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Gunsaber can be sheathed in the game, tho?

It is sheathed while you are charging up the dragon trigger, which is the primary mechanic of the elite spec.

Not sure tbh. I am kitten sure it was not possible to sheathe it out of combat, as i personally tend to use manual sheathe button for that as a matter of habit. Once the deed is done i like to see my weapons stowed, but that was impossible with gunsaber.

25 minutes ago, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

Not sure tbh. I am kitten sure it was not possible to sheathe it out of combat, as i personally tend to use manual sheathe button for that as a matter of habit. Once the deed is done i like to see my weapons stowed, but that was impossible with gunsaber.

Same. I also use manual seathe as an impulse as soon as i finish combat, but you cant seathe bundle kits so that also wont happen

10 hours ago, Lighter.5631 said:

as artist myself, i can see the art is very rushed if you compare it to beresrker and spellbreaker the detail is not the same. either rushed or low budget.

Low-budget most likely, as that seems to be a running theme for the especs as a whole. That’s why I said in another thread (and I know it upset some Anet white knights) that this expansion really feels like a cash-grab. The quality we’ve seen thus far, is not up to snuff when compared to either HoT or PoF.

Edited by crewthief.8649

5 hours ago, crewthief.8649 said:

Low-budget most likely, as that seems to be a running theme for the especs as a whole. That’s why I said in another thread (and I know it upset some Anet white knights) that this expansion really feels like a cash-grab. The quality we’ve seen thus far, is not up to snuff when compared to either EoD or PoF.

B-but pre-order skiff skins!!!! A-and Aurene statuette!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, crewthief.8649 said:

Low-budget most likely, as that seems to be a running theme for the especs as a whole. That’s why I said in another thread (and I know it upset some Anet white knights) that this expansion really feels like a cash-grab. The quality we’ve seen thus far, is not up to snuff when compared to either EoD or PoF.

I've had the same thoughts regarding the upcoming expansion and it worries me. I'd like for Guild Wars 2 to succeed because its ran by good people (from what I can tell) that have a good philosophy regarding MMO's. They didn't charge a subscription, living story was made to keep players engaged, they never showed any audacious corporate greed, etc.

Even if this is a money grab. I'd give them a pass for past services rendered. I just hope they aren't in the hole right now or getting bankrupt.

But as a consumer, I ain't feeling EoD right now.

• Like 3