Infusions going back to "impossible to get"

1 minute ago, Moira Shalaar.5620 said:

I am sure that your answer is wholly intelligible and fitting in the context of this discussion, unfortunately I am not a TP oriented player and have no idea what your statement actually means. 😕 

I mean out-of-game markets. Like the ones the OP mentioned.

Edited by Turin.6921
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

Allowing players to be able to obtain them from currencies/tokens would incentivize passive participation even further and you’ll see players with their alts farming playing the content. 

Fixed that for you. And notice how after that fix it sounds so much better than the edge reading case you tried to present.

And if you're worried about AFK farmers, the solution mentioned earlier (making the version bought with token accountbound on acquire) would be enough.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 6
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

You sit there and only participate in the bonus event and tag the choya. 

The thing usually dies in less than 10 sec. at which point there is barely any difference between "active" and "passive" farming anymore. Also the actual "farming" part are the 3 rounds beforehand so one would have to go there with the intention to get a Confetti Infusion, ignore the main part of the currency farm just to tag a bonus event that gives less than 10 coins. I really don't see how such a fringe case would even be an issue worth addressing. Also, going by that logic then no OW content should have any rewards anymore because they could "incentivise" someone somewhere to tag an event and get something that person doesn't fully "deserve". Now I'm not a fan of "people leeching" but your solution of no one getting anything is even worse than the problem you're trying to address.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

42 minutes ago, Tails.9372 said:

The thing usually dies in less than 10 sec. at which point there is barely any difference between "active" and "passive" farming anymore. Also the actual "farming" part are the 3 rounds beforehand so one would have to go there with the intention to get a Confetti Infusion, ignore the main part of the currency farm just to tag a bonus event that gives less than 10 coins. I really don't see how such a fringe case would even be an issue worth addressing. Also, going by that logic then no OW content should have any rewards anymore because they could "incentivise" someone somewhere to tag an event and get something that person doesn't fully "deserve". Now I'm not a fan of "people leeching" but your solution of no one getting anything is even worse than the problem you're trying to address.

It’s no different than players who do the Dragonstorm meta and just sit around until the very end to tag the final event by channeling the crystal. It’s no different than those who do the west meta in Bjora and sit on the cliff until the boss is around 10%. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Fixed that for you. And notice how after that fix it sounds so much better than the edge reading case you tried to present.

And if you're worried about AFK farmers, the solution mentioned earlier (making the version bought with token accountbound on acquire) would be enough.

No. You didn’t fix anything. Please see my other post where I specifically stated that passive farming does not equate to AFK farming.

It’s also a little confusing as I could have sworn that you defended necro farmers as not necessarily being AFK and yet here when I stated passive farming you automatically assumed that meant AFK. 

Edited by mythical.6315

13 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

No. You didn’t fix anything. Please see my other post where I specifically stated that passive farming does not equate to AFK farming.

It’s also a little confusing as I could have sworn that you defended necro farmers as not necessarily being AFK and yet here when I stated passive farming you automatically assumed that meant AFK. 

Did i really defend necro farmers? Or did you get confused here as well?

• Confused 1

Much like it was during the last time a thread like this one popped out in the past, I still don't see anything wrong with having barely few super-rare cosmetic items in the game that are obtained through a small drop chance. I would have a problem with it, if those items gave power or advantage while playing through the content available in the game, but since they don't, there's nothing wrong with it being like it currently is.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

4 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

I think ANet had the right idea with the most recent newest infusion; the left or right eye of Jormag/Primordus  where you could get one of your choice for free  per account.  If this w ere the same with the other super  rare infusions, it wouldn't be a problem for anyone but the people who are just hoarding the infusions for account value.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

7 hours ago, Moira Shalaar.5620 said:

There is another possibility that has not been mentioned yet. I have a friend in the guild that got the drop that provides the Queen Bee infusion (sorry don't remember exactly what that is). He is a pretty casual player that just was obscenely lucky and won the RNG "lottery". But as a casual player he runs pretty cash poor in game, and didn't have the gold to even be able to POST the item to sell it. It took him ages to be able to come up with that amount of money just to be able to attempt to sell it on the TP. Makes me wonder if some portion of the lack of availability comes from some super lucky players being in the same kind of situation. 

I'm in this exact same situation. I got the Queen Bee infusion as a drop ages ago and it's just been sitting in an alts inventory because I have no interest in it and I don't have the 4k gold (last time I checked) needed to list it.  

• Confused 4

38 minutes ago, Shrimpkin.4851 said:

I'm in this exact same situation. I got the Queen Bee infusion as a drop ages ago and it's just been sitting in an alts inventory because I have no interest in it and I don't have the 4k gold (last time I checked) needed to list it.  

Currently listed Queen Bee infusion sell orders on the tp are in the 5650 - 7666 gold range. To list in that range you need 282,50 - 383,30 gold, not 4k, so... just saying 😄

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

As I've said before time and time again, the people who defend these absolutely ABSURD drop chances need to go back to WoW/FF14/(insert gear-based MMO here). This is Guild Wars, and this kind of **** doesn't belong here.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8

8 minutes ago, Arnox.5128 said:

As I've said before time and time again, the people who defend these absolutely ABSURD drop chances need to go back to WoW/FF14/(insert gear-based MMO here). This is Guild Wars, and this kind of **** doesn't belong here.

Considering that this is Arenanet’s game where they decide what and what doesn’t belong in this game…

Considering this game has had items with low drop rates since it launched…

Considering that GW1 had such items as well…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

21 minutes ago, Arnox.5128 said:

I don't know about WoW, but from my experience in FF XIV, i don't think that even the rare stuff in there is that rare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

Gen 1 legendary Precursors?  Those actually drop though.  I've gotten several over my time playing and they drop from all content that can drop exotic items.  There have always been rare skins, but they've never been as  rare as these infusions or anywhere near the 10k gold limit on the TP.  Any discrepancy is likely because those skins can't be farmed anymore so there's a limited amount.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

42 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

Considering that this is Arenanet’s game where they decide what and what doesn’t belong in this game…

Considering that GW1 had such items as well…

- ARENANET set the precedent for what Guild Wars should be at its core with the first game as it was both highly successful and well-designed. From then on, like it or not, and whether ANet likes it or not, GW1 established what core goals Guild Wars should uphold, and those are to be a skill-based game and to respect the player's time.

- I don't care. Ridiculously low drop chances were a mistake then and they're a mistake now.

- Not to the extent that GW2 has it I think. And EVEN IF it did, it would still have been a mistake then too as 90% of GW1 was, as I said above, skill-based and respected the player's time. Hell, I remember people just semi-regularly donating lots of platinum and ectos to others along with giving away rare items. In GW2? lol

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Gw1 had the incentive of rarity within the item ie. Req 8 15^50 etc...

Gw2 is just skins

Inscriptions helped to change it so cool weapons with crappy stats were never a waste. 

I don't mind rare items but I gave up on ever getting a second scion weapon from dragonfall and I do that all the time 

Drop rates need to be increased a smidgen across the board 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

Having super rare infusions drives players towards those metas which haves them and keeps them active.

I can only speak for myself, but if anything it keeps me away. 

I really have better ways to spend my time than grinding out some content I might or might not even enjoy that much potentially for years and years daily with zero guarantee of ever receiving the item I'm after. 

That just sounds insane to me, with grinding that content only in the hopes for am extremely rare random drop reeking of a gambling problem/obsession. 

So whenever Anet comes out with a super rare or crazy grindy infusion like that, pretty much no matter how much I like it, I just try to forget it exists, move on and never look at that content again, unless I like it for it's own sake in terms of gameplay or other reasons. 

Now I'm not fundamentally opposed to rare, ingame, RNG items (although I personally don't like the concept either), but they certainly fail to attract and keep me as player. 

I just prefer a) content that's good on it's own merit, as in fun and engaging to play and b) having rewards that I can work towards, either rewarding me for commitment to and or ideally skill with the content at hand.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Asum.4960 said:

I can only speak for myself, but if anything it keeps me away. 

I really have better ways to spend my time than grinding out some content I might or might not even enjoy that much potentially for years and years daily with zero guarantee of ever receiving the item I'm after. 

That just sounds insane to me, with grinding that content only in the hopes for am extremely rare random drop reeking of a gambling problem/obsession. 

So whenever Anet comes out with a super rare or crazy grindy infusion like that, pretty much no matter how much I like it, I just try to forget it exists, move on and never look at that content again, unless I like it for it's own sake in terms of gameplay or other reasons. 

Now I'm not fundamentally opposed to rare, ingame, RNG items (although I personally don't like the concept either), but they certainly fail to attract and keep me as player. 

I just prefer a) content that's good on it's own merit, as in fun and engaging to play and b) having rewards that I can work towards, either rewarding me for commitment to and or ideally skill with the content at hand.

It certainly will not appeal to everyone with you being an example as you have pointed out.  However, other find it appealing, or at the very least tolerate it, for the opportunity to get an infusion whether it be for personal use or to sell.  It’s kept a lot of metas active which probably would have been abandoned by now. There have even been meta trains listed on the LFG created to specifically target the metas which drop infusions. 

• Like 3