Fixes Coming to the Dye System

5 hours ago, Touchme.1097 said:

The dye system is currently showing the wrong colours when using the same dye on the same armour weight (heavy, medium, light). Can you fix this by showing the same colour shade on all armour pieces?

For example when I use the celestial dye on my heavy helm it shows the colour white as it should be but after applying the same colour on my Warlord's gloves the same colour appears greyish. I would like all colours to have the same shade on all my armour pieces. I don't understand why the shades look different.

I beleive that's to do with the different materials and finishes of different armor sets, clearly an intended feature, so probably won't be changed.  I've often fixed this issue when mixing and matching armor sets by using different dyes on different pieces which then look apporximately the same.  I know that's perhaps not ideal but you have to work within the system.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Touchme.1097 said:

The dye system is currently showing the wrong colours when using the same dye on the same armour weight (heavy, medium, light). Can you fix this by showing the same colour shade on all armour pieces?

For example when I use the celestial dye on my heavy helm it shows the colour white as it should be but after applying the same colour on my Warlord's gloves the same colour appears greyish. I would like all colours to have the same shade on all my armour pieces. I don't understand why the shades look different.

I beleive that's to do with the different materials and finishes of different armor sets, clearly an intended feature, so probably won't be changed.  I've often fixed this issue when mixing and matching armor sets by using different dyes on different pieces which then look apporximately the same.  I know that's perhaps not ideal but you have to work within the system.

On 9/30/2021 at 5:36 PM, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

Hello Tyrians, I have a message from Senior Gameplay Programmer Kyle Conroy about part of tomorrow's update!

Hey there – I’m Kyle Conroy, a Senior Gameplay Programmer. I’ve recently been working on cleaning up parts of the wardrobe system to be more consistent, and tomorrow’s patch contains a few fixes to the dye system that should significantly improve the reliability of it in the Hero Panel. I thought it would be good to cover in a little more detail what is being fixed, what potentially unwelcome behaviors remain, and why.

To start with, I’m going to define some terms and explain a bit how the whole thing works! What players see as “the dye tab” is actually several components working together to put colors onto the character preview that the Hero Panel displays:

• The Dye Page, where you select dyes, keeps track of what colors should be displayed in the boxes of the UI layer and tells other components when changes are made.
  • The Dye Manager, a subsystem that keeps track of what dyes have been set in each channel in the Dye tab as well as what dyes are set on your gear in the game world.
  • The Paper Doll, a subsystem that keeps track of equipped gear, outfits, and previewed skins, and the logic to update the character model with the appropriate skins.
  • The Composite, the representation of the actual character model that you see, which stores information about the active skins, their colors, and any “override” colors set by the Dye system but not yet applied.

Most of the strange issues that have manifested as the composite showing the wrong dyes, or skins flickering, have been the result of communication failures between these layers in particular circumstances that result in stale data being used to modify the composite.  I have made several updates to how data is passed around that should eliminate this class of problems, and result in things generally working as you expect when making multiple changes and/or moving between the Wardrobe tab and the Dye tab.

However, this system has some hard limitations that would require a more substantial effort to update, and with End of Dragons around the corner we just don’t have the time it would take to correct these anytime soon. Specifically:
It is not currently possible to apply updates to your armor and outfit dyes at the same time.
You can only store pending dye changes to your glider or back slot at the same time, not both.

Outfits, gliders, and dyeable backpieces did not exist when the system was originally designed, and unfortunately there are design limitations with their addition to the existing system that would require a more substantial re-engineering to address. 

This has been a bit of a personal project for me, and one I’d love to revisit when we have more time! Keep up the awesome fashion in the meantime. 

so this was more important than getting wvw fixed? 

Edited by xBlack Angelx.2186
  • Confused 8

8 hours ago, Touchme.1097 said:

That is an issue with the armour and not the dyes.

It is why leather looking armour colours differently, etc.

You sometimes just have to work with what is there.

1 hour ago, xBlack Angelx.2186 said:

so this was more important than getting wvw fixed? 

WVW takes time to be fixed and different people work on different things.

Your changes don't come over night and WVW needs to be changed carefully because anything could upset the balance if not done correctly and if you guys don't like something, you are so vocal about it.

When they were doing a beta for deployable siege canons, I saw some of the most toxic responses about them. Anet tried to give you something new but because they were too strong they got abused to remove them instead of just being asked to remove or adjust them.

• Like 1

Can we get a per channel texture override check box to override the influence of the skin texture on the dye?

I'd like to see a new tier of dyes that are particle dyes. That is dyes that apply flame or other particle effects on that dye channel. I would suggest a limitation of one particle dye at a time. In other words, your armor or mount could only use one particle dye at a time. The same particle dye could be on one or multiple channels / armor pieces worn but not multiple particle dyes on the same character or mount. The player could accent all their armor with that single particle dye.

• Confused 1

Generally I love the dye system and the incredible variety of looks it supports. One of the constant struggles is finding the dye that yields the colour you want, since the item/material itself plays such a big role in the impact of the dye. 

A preview panel for a colour channel that shows you a "colour wheel" type display of all the dye results would enable you to find a result you like first, then pick the dye that corresponds to that, instead of the current trial and error system which can be very time consuming (especially for materials where dyes yield unintuitive results). You could display all dyes, or only unlocked dyes, as a option. 

how about .. Pastel \ light colors ....
i'd love to see more pastel options. its really sad that the pastel options is so little, and most of it looks grayish and dull on different armor pieces :c pastel pink always looks redish or dull pink on lots of armrs is very sad..
or..
Don't lock the best pastel color behind "9years anniversary" ? that's anther very frustrating thing 

• Confused 1

I will admit I'm kind of lost in the original post, as I have no idea what gets fixed. But I certainly hope it will not fix the not-entirely-intended feature that allows me to adopt old dyes to a new piece of gear (which happens if you equip it with the dye channel open; it sometimes doesn't catch on first try, so you need to swap the old and the new piece twice). It was the only way to, due to how legendary armory works and that there's no way to lock the look  of your gear template, manage legendary armory application without having to redye everything and hope you remembered it right.

On 9/30/2021 at 10:36 PM, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

Most of the strange issues that have manifested as the composite showing the wrong dyes, or skins flickering

I haven't seen anything like that ^^'

I really hope the changes don't change how any dye, skin or outfit looks

Honestly the most important change you could make is to reset the inactivity timer every time we change a dye or press the screenshot button, so we don't have to keep using a skill to stop us being logged off for inactivity when we really aren't inactive

21 hours ago, Poki.8235 said:

Fixes are always nice. I hope that the dye panel will get a bigger favourites list too.

And I'm sorry for mentioning this, but I'd also really like to see the Legendary backpacks and gliders be updated to be dyeable sometime too. I know this is beyond the scope of this specific project, but it reminded me of that...

You're not gonna be able to dye legendary items besides armor, mate. And that's good.

Edited by Tangerina.7605
  • Like 1