New Thief Elite Preview.

Downstate.4697

5 hours ago, hatozeni.5721 said:

If it is a Thief capable of using long distance magic it will be incredibly OP in pvp. It will probably fill the target with conditions so just swap to daggers to finish the thing.

Doubt it will be long range. That'd feel too similar to deadeye, be hard to balance and completely undo certain utility and trait synergies.

Edited by NorthernRedStar.3054
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

Doubt it will be long range. That'd feel too similar to deadeye, be hard to balance and completely undo certain utility and trait synergies.

I really hope it's something quite different from all the thief specs. For this to happen really just adding shadow magic or a over power shadow form like the necro-reaper.

On 10/2/2021 at 8:51 PM, MrForz.1953 said:

It's not so much about need, it's just that a full blown support e-spec trait line will have a hard time synergizing with the remaining traits. If it's "support" it likely won't be traditional support.

Druid would like to disagree.

On 10/2/2021 at 12:57 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

The scepter in the image kind of makes me think it'll be some kind of thief+necro take on the class. Maybe steal turned into a stance/transformation skill with traits turning from "...on steal" to "your next attack applies..." after entering it.

Or maybe it's just a thief that slaps people with scepter just like dd does with staff 😜

I suspect it is more of a Thief/Mesmer setup… after all A/Me was a fairly common combination in Factions, not just for players but for NPCs as well… I foresee a very Condition heavy spec, centered on Torment and Confusion.

3 hours ago, Cynz.9437 said:

Druid would like to disagree.

I think they meant that Thief lacks any core trait lines that play into support… Ranger has Wilderness Survival, which synergies great with Druid for a full support Ranger… but for a full support Thief, the full weight of that support functionality is on the elite spec, which doesn’t leave much room for synergies with any of the core trait lines.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Panda.1967 said:

I think they meant that Thief lacks any core trait lines that play into support… Ranger has Wilderness Survival, which synergies great with Druid for a full support Ranger… but for a full support Thief, the full weight of that support functionality is on the elite spec, which doesn’t leave much room for synergies with any of the core trait lines.

Shadow Form thief :)

36 minutes ago, Panda.1967 said:

1. I think you meant nature magic feeding into a support ranger playstyle, wilderness survival is more about personal sustain and conditions.
  2. Thief also has trait lines in core which feed into a support playstyle.

Shadow arts has traits which allow you to heal allies by applying stealth to them and by shadowstepping.

Trickery allows you to share boons with allies around you.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Panda.1967 said:

Shadow Arts has built in Healing with Stealth and Shadow Stepping for allies.

Trickery has built in Boon share upon stealing.

Thief has two core support trait lines, they just aren't good like Ranger's.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Shadow arts has traits which allow you to heal allies by applying stealth to them

That's not really usable for consistent support unless the new e-spec is constantly pulsing stealth that also removes the revealed debuff or something on that level.

Edited by Tails.9372
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Or make it so that being Revealed out of a stealth that was applied by the thief still counts.

Which would put a 3-4 sec. CD on a base 130 HP heal, unless everyone else just stops attacking, and thus rendering it effectively useless as an in combat heal support.

17 hours ago, Grebcol.5984 said:

Anet will Nerf Thief even more so this class will be useless, no matter what spec it will be.

The core stealth-and-teleport mechanic is so outrageously overpowered that it means all the other aspects of the class will be nerfed to oblivion.

• Confused 5

2 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

Which would put a 3-4 sec. CD on a base 130 HP heal, unless everyone else just stops attacking, and thus rendering it effectively useless as an in combat heal support.

One step further: put the healing on everything which causes stealth from thief, healing allies regardless of them getting stealthed or not.

This way you still get the healing without the cooldown of being restricted by revealed or anything. Stuff like shadow refuge will keep pulsing healing every second, even if your allies are revealed by constantly attacking an enemy.

Hope it's support and not condi. A wall that makes projectiles unblockable (with a cool shadow effect) would give it an instant spot in WvW. We already deal with enough kitten condi thiefs.

Unsurprisingly it looks like scepter mainhand, so probably ranged. So we have scepter/dagger and scepter/pistol. Hopefully the dual skills are also ranged, and there is a way to make use of pistol 5 (blast please?) or else it will go the way of sword/pistol.

• Like 2

I'm hoping for minions of a sort. I liked the whole gang-warfare aspect of Kaineng back in GW:Factions. Either that, or do a complete 180 (360/540/720/900/1080) and the Elite Spec is the "enforcer" of the Ministry of Purity. It would be slightly amusing having the new thief E-spec being dressed in all white to match the Ministry, and yet it actually would be fitting lore-wise because they used a lot of assassins and underhanded techniques to decimate the competition and secure their place as the right hand of the Canthan throne

2 hours ago, ens.9854 said:

Hope it's support and not condi. A wall that makes projectiles unblockable (with a cool shadow effect) would give it an instant spot in WvW. We already deal with enough kitten condi thiefs.

Unsurprisingly it looks like scepter mainhand, so probably ranged. So we have scepter/dagger and scepter/pistol. Hopefully the dual skills are also ranged, and there is a way to make use of pistol 5 (blast please?) or else it will go the way of sword/pistol.

If it was decent ranged aoe spec that did decent dps to groups of 5 at a time it would be a welcomed dps class for blob play like hammer rev or scourge, imagine it could spam aoe circles like scourge does while doing good dps.