Possible to have a vendor for Dark Matter?

I've noticed that when I salvage exotics, the number of Dark Matter seems to be a rarity at best to get. Could we not have a vendor that uses Laurels, Karma, Spirit Shards, etc., or other map currency to purchase? Can keep a limit on it if need be, such as 5 per day? It's just a suggestion.
It's just being a real pain for me to get to craft more armor for a few of my characters. Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

Some people have already said this indirectly but be glad they still have a use because eventually they just turn into yet another trash item.

Back when I was crafting my ascended stuff I simply salvaged all the stuff I crafted for leveling. Not the most financially efficient approach but it is one of the simplest. There also weren't as many cheap exotics back then.

19 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

This. Honestly, at this point i'd really like some way to convert the tons of dark matter i have no use of into something that is actually useful for me.

I wish Gw2efficiency tracked glob of dark matter as a stat on their stats page just to see how much people have stored up.  And therein is a bit of the problem with adding a vendor/conversion this late - I have nearly 8000 globs of dark matter on a mule character, I'm sure that people have more than me.  Anything  that they did to allow you to sell/convert it would be a windfall to a few (or many?) players.  If it was something of value, whoever snapped up the cheapest exotics after the patch would make a pile of coin.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to do something with the piles of dark matter, but it would have to be something account bound or really marginal I think..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thehipone.6812 said:

I wish Gw2efficiency tracked glob of dark matter as a stat on their stats page just to see how much people have stored up.  And therein is a bit of the problem with adding a vendor/conversion this late - I have nearly 8000 globs of dark matter on a mule character, I'm sure that people have more than me.  Anything  that they did to allow you to sell/convert it would be a windfall to a few (or many?) players.  If it was something of value, whoever snapped up the cheapest exotics after the patch would make a pile of coin.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to do something with the piles of dark matter, but it would have to be something account bound or really marginal I think..

Oh, definitely. I don't think that exchanging those for liquid wealth would be a good idea. Still, having some use of those would be nice.

On 10/2/2021 at 2:57 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

Go to the TP, do a search for the cheapest high level exotics, buy a batch and salvage them. With a masters salvage kit you should average about one dark matter for every two exotics salvaged.

Yea, not a big fan of spending gold for an item in which the chance of getting DM is still low. Even with the masters salvage, it's still a low chance. Thanks though.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Zaggrel.3692 said:

Yea, not a big fan of spending gold for an item in which the chance of getting DM is still low. Even with the masters salvage, it's still a low chance. Thanks though.

You average about one DM for every two exotics. That doesn’t seem super low to me.

If you could buy DM directly for 40 silver a piece you’d feel better?

Edited by Gibson.4036

17 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

How are you all getting so much DM that you want to get rid of it? Do you salvage exotics frequently? If yes, for what?

I tend to only salvage exotics when I need the DM, and sell them on the TP otherwise.

Most Exotics yield more money when salvaged because of the Globs of Ectoplasm. I think there is a 1.66 chance of yielding 1 glob of ectoplasm per exotic when salvaged with a Black Lion kit, so if you have an exotic that is worth 28 silver I would rather salvage it, since there is also the chance on some Mats, a Rune or Sigil that may be worth something and maybe even an Insignia(depends on the type).  I only sell exotics if they sell for more then at least 1.5 x the prize of a Glob + the worth of the Rune/Sigil. 

Edited by Tyncale.1629
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tyncale.1629 said:

Most Exotics yield more money when salvaged because of the Globs of Ectoplasm. I think there is a 1.66 chance of yielding 1 glob of ectoplasm per exotic when salvaged with a Black Lion kit, so if you have an exotic that is worth 28 silver I would rather salvage it, since there is also the chance on some Mats, a Rune or Sigil that may be worth something and maybe even an Insignia(depends on the type).  I only sell exotics if they sell for more then at least 1.5 x the prize of a Glob + the worth of the Rune/Sigil. 

Thanks. With Ecto hovering around 20s, and TP tax, I tend to salvage anything worth 20s or less, and most exotics are more than that, so I typically sell. Didn't consider the upgrade. I tend to use Masters salvage kits, so I only sometimes get the upgrade. Still worth it to salvage?

12 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Thanks. With Ecto hovering around 20s, and TP tax, I tend to salvage anything worth 20s or less, and most exotics are more than that, so I typically sell. Didn't consider the upgrade. I tend to use Masters salvage kits, so I only sometimes get the upgrade. Still worth it to salvage?

I always check the worth of the Rune or Sigil first on the TP, prizes vary enormously. Some of them are worth a lot, though usually this reflects in the price of the Exotic anyway. But some Runes/Sigils fluctuate so much in price that the price of the exotic lags behind and you can easily make 10-20 silver extra. Unless you are unlucky and get no globs. 🙂  Also, you have to have an abundance of Black Lion salvage kits so if that is a problem, you are probably doing the right thing with the Masters kit. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I tend to use Masters salvage kits, so I only sometimes get the upgrade. Still worth it to salvage?

Master salvage kits automatically salvage the upgrade, too, so if you want to preserve the upgrade, you need to use a Black Lion salvage kit.

Personally I have more Black Lion kits (from login rewards) than I could use in a long time, since with my playstyle exotics tend to be few and far between, so I use them to salvage several of the exotics I do get. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head how many I have, but according to gw2efficiency it's slightly above 1k (so storage half full). That makes me feel like they aren't that hard to come by.

• Like 2

On 10/15/2021 at 3:36 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

How are you all getting so much DM that you want to get rid of it? Do you salvage exotics frequently? If yes, for what?

I tend to only salvage exotics when I need the DM, and sell them on the TP otherwise.

Salvaging for profit mainly.  The are many things that are profitable to buy and salvage. Back when salvaging would give you a chance at the rune  in the item you could buy something like Reynas armor, salvage with a masters kit and the resulting rune, ectos, and insignia would be profitable. It may still be depending where prices are, but melandru runes have come down a ton from the days when they were 4g each and you only get the rune with blsk now anyways. But you can get the charms. The dark matter is merely a byproduct. Still works for runes if you have endless extractor too, and there are other ways to end up with exotics that are profitable to salvage, you just need to know the drop/salvage rates of things.

Edited by thehipone.6812
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 5:11 PM, sorudo.9054 said:

.......that's crafting, still nothing useful.

But you said you wanted gold? ''i want to directly use bloodstones for useful stuff like tomes of knowledge or gold.''

so you dont thinks its useful for you at all cus you have already ascended/legendary gear and you dont want to use gobblers?