Weird extra gear from level 80 boost

Returning player here, I played at release for maybe a year, and just started again about a week or so ago. I had a level 80 character from way back, and a couple of days ago, I decided to use one of my level 80 boosts to level up an alt. Going pretty good so far, as far as playing the character goes, but I have a weird question regarding the gear. 

When I opened up my old gear bag to get rid of the old stuff (who needs level 20 something gear on a level 80?) and contained within it was a whole other set of level 80 exotic gear. I'm certain that wasn't on my character prior to the boost, but the weird part is that I can't seem to equip it. Double clicking does nothing, and when I go to the Hero screen, equipment tab, it doesn't show up in the panel on the left. It has (PvP) at the end of the name, so I checked going to the PvP lobby and the WvW battlegrounds, but couldn't equip it there, either. 

It's soulbound, so I can't sell it, I can't break it down, can't equip it, can't seem to do anything with it. Currently, it's taking up space in my bank, which is too full as it is. So a couple of questions: 

First, where the heck did come from? 

Second, should I just destroy it, since I can't seem to do anything else with it, and it's just taking up space?

Thanks!

Can you tell us the full name of one of the items? That might help work out what it is and where it's come from.

My first thought is that this must be an old character from before you stopped playing, so they still had a set of PvP equipment from before the April 2014 update which unified equipment and completely changed how PvP builds work, but looking at the patch notes for that update it sounds like if that was the case they'd be removed from the character entirely and converted into wardrobe skins.

Heavy Scale Leggings of the Guardian (PvP) is the name of one of them. Yeah, that does sound plausible, though I never did any PvP, then or now. I might have gone to the PvP Lobby, but I never tried any of the battles. I did do some WvW, but that wouldn't account for this, since it doesn't alter your gear at all (and never did, as far as I know). 

Well it definitely didn't come from the level 80 boost. But it's not PvP starter equipment either (they all used to start with PvE starter equipment, PvP starter equipment and town clothes).

I never played PvP either, but I had some PvP equipment from the PvP Achievement Rewards in achievement chests. My guess is you go this equipment the same way and put it on a character who could equip it to free up space, or just in case you wanted to do PvP one day.

The strange part is it should have been converted into skins in the wardrobe the first time you logged into the character after the April 2014 update. But it sounds like it was still there and when the level 80 boost stripped out all your equipment to replace it with the stuff from the boost it found the PvP equipment as well. I'm not sure how that happened.

The important thing is it's got no use except as wardrobe skins, so if they're in your wardrobe you can delete the actual equipment pieces.

If they're not in the wardrobe you can try right-clicking them and see if there's an option to add them to the wardrobe (that works with all non-PvP equipment) but since it's not supposed to exist after the wardrobe update that might not work, in which case you'll need to contact Customer Support and ask them about how to convert it.

• Like 1

It seems the set that you unlock now with the Legacy Armor Reward Track. Since it has no value, it cannot be salvaged, nor sold, before destroying it you can also check if you unlocked the skin by searching the "Heavy Scale" when you select a piece of your heavy armor (leggings in this case) in the wardrobe tab. Or just keep it for the memory :)

Edited by Urud.4925
  • Like 1