A "help me pick" profession thread

ysnake.3619

Yes, it is another one of those - and I've played GW2 on and off as most players did. 

Now, I have all classes (except Elementalist) at level 80, and some even doubled (such as Warrior and Necromancer) - so why would I need some help you may ask?

Even though new Elite specs are coming out relatively soon, and some are bound to be changed (although some not revealed yet) - I have not found a spec that fulfills my "fantasy" of how I like to play an MMORPG... to an extent.

What I am looking for is:

- A tanky spec (I usually run Marauder on all characters, because Berserkers can be a bit of a coinflip on squishier professions)

- A spec (and this is important) that can heal itself... similar to how you would spam heal yourself as some hybrid character in WoW (akin to Shaman/Priest, but in more GW2-sense, more like a Blood Death Knight) - like I'd love if Elementalist could just dodge away from combat, get in Water attunement and heal himself back up, but we all know that ain't happening

- A profession that can help me fulfill the "support" role in the endgame, currently, it seems to be a toss-up between Renegade, Firebrand and Scourge - but new specs can bring some light to professions

- I partake mostly in PvE activities, but I am do not shy away from mindlessly spamming buttons in WvW as it can be fun to hear my graphics card fan go "WOOOOOO"

Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance ❤️

Tanky, support, decent self sustain, also good in wvw. My best bet would be scrapper.

I'm levelling one these days, I'm not yet sure if it's the right class for me, after years of maining reaper, but on paper it should fulfill that all-rounder yet more of a tanky support idea I'm looking for right now.

So while I have played little of it so far, after doing my own research I'd say that it's the best bet, outside of firebrand and maybe spellbreaker

20 hours ago, ysnake.3619 said:

What I am looking for is:

- A tanky spec (I usually run Marauder on all characters, because Berserkers can be a bit of a coinflip on squishier professions)

In my experience, the tankiest options seem to be Guardian, Necromancer, Mesmer (Mirage), Warrior, Revenant (Herald), and Engineer (Scrapper)… but if you build right, every spec can be quite tanky.

- A spec (and this is important) that can heal itself... similar to how you would spam heal yourself as some hybrid character in WoW (akin to Shaman/Priest, but in more GW2-sense, more like a Blood Death Knight)

This is literally very profession in the game… the ones most effective at this though would be Necromancer (can literally heal with every attack), Engineer, Elementalist, Revenant, and Mesmer.

- like I'd love if Elementalist could just dodge away from combat, get in Water attunement and heal himself back up, but we all know that ain't happening

Elementalist CAN do exactly this though… I do this all the time on my elementalist. Of course your choice of weapon has a direct impact on how effectively you can heal yourself back up in Water Attunement. I run Scepter/Warhorn and I can heal myself up quite quickly with Water Attunement… Dagger, Staff, and Focus are all poor weapon choices if you want to heal in water spec. Sword and Warhorn are the two best choices for healing, but of course you can’t combine them due to the elite spec weapon locks… and Scepter is a fairly decent mainhand choice… the usable pairings that work the best however are Scepter/Warhorn and Sword/Dagger.

- A profession that can help me fulfill the "support" role in the endgame, currently, it seems to be a toss-up between Renegade, Firebrand and Scourge - but new specs can bring some light to professions

This depends entirely on how much stock you and those you play with put into the Meta… if you don’t care about the Meta (and you really shouldn’t), then nearly anything can fulfill the support roll. Some just do a better job at it than others… Tempest, Druid, Renegade, Firebrand, Scourge… these five were literally designed to be support specs. If you do care about the meta… then you’re never going to “pick a main” you will be changing with the seasons as the meta changes…

- I partake mostly in PvE activities, but I am do not shy away from mindlessly spamming buttons in WvW as it can be fun to hear my graphics card fan go "WOOOOOO"

Set the helicopter free!

I'm a new player... well, I played at launch for a few weeks, but never got into it really because of RL work. I'm back finally, and have all professions to 20, I bought more slots so I could have one of each class. I still can't decide on a class.

So what I'm looking for:

-desired in groups because of decent or great support

-nice class to explore with do to run speed increase buffs and soloability

-I like a bit of mobility while in combat

-a busy class with a decently high apm

Not looking for a class that is the best in any one of these areas, but a class that can do all this stuff decently and still be good for a new player who is learning the in's and out's of GW2

10 hours ago, Rodney.7349 said:

I'm a new player... well, I played at launch for a few weeks, but never got into it really because of RL work. I'm back finally, and have all professions to 20, I bought more slots so I could have one of each class. I still can't decide on a class.

So what I'm looking for:

-desired in groups because of decent or great support

-nice class to explore with do to run speed increase buffs and soloability

-I like a bit of mobility while in combat

-a busy class with a decently high apm

Not looking for a class that is the best in any one of these areas, but a class that can do all this stuff decently and still be good for a new player who is learning the in's and out's of GW2

Guardian: It's desired as both heal and boon support, has some teleports in combat, can get swiftness and leaps, FB can get busy.

Revenant: It's also desired as a boon support, very good mobility in sword and shiro, pretty busy. 

Engineer: Quickness Scrapper is a thing, holosmith is very mobile in and out of combat with swiftness and leaps, engineer is also very busy. 

I think you are looking for Engineer tbh. 

Edited by Tayga.3192
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Tayga.3192 said:

Guardian: It's desired as both heal and boon support, has some teleports in combat, can get swiftness and leaps, FB can get busy.

Revenant: It's also desired as a boon support, very good mobility in sword and shiro, pretty busy. 

Engineer: Quickness Scrapper is a thing, holosmith is very mobile in and out of combat with swiftness and leaps, engineer is also very busy. 

I think you are looking for Engineer tbh. 

Its funny you bring these three up. As I mentioned, I tried all the classes to 20, and these are the 3 that stood out the most, in this exact order. The Engineer was really cool till I started getting kits, then I got a little confused on how to play them. I'll need to read up a bit more. If I can get the hang of the Engineer, I think that might be the most interesting giving all the options they have. 

Also, in almost every MMO I have played since '99 in EQ1, I have always had a holy warrior and a death knight type as a main/alt. I always gravitate towards them lore wise so thats why the Guardian and Revenant were pulling me a bit. 

I really appreciate the push in the right direction. Cheers!

• Like 1

Revenant master class! 

you want tanky? Herald it up!

you want self heals? Only class that gets to bring along two healing skills at all times (three for vindicator, but that’s not officially out yet)

you want support? Alacren is meta in raids and strikes, and helpful in dungeons/fractals. Herald is a mega supporter in WvW, too (yay for boon share!)

you want zerg? You don’t even necessarily have to attack, spec Jalis and Mallyx and walk through as enemies take damage! (Seriously you have no idea how much this has gained me in Mad King’s Labyrinth- tag all the things!!!)

this is in no way biased by my utmost devotion and love towards revs or anything, either, so don’t bother trying to slander me 😛

• Like 2