EoD expansion - buy or not to buy

4 hours ago, Faridah.8431 said:

Sorry to hear about that. If you ever see me on, happy to try to help you with that story. I agree its a tough one, and I'll have to remember what I did to get past it. I think it had something to do with getting that mob stuck on the cage or something like that. I might not be much better, but happy to try to help.

It was tough at the beginning. Getting mastery pts for raptor, it being your beginning and only mount, starting out was a lot of work. 

Edited by Sir Arigius.6294

I'll buy EoD eventually (I'm waiting until the holidays).  For now, I see stuff in EoD that makes me nod in approval.

Apart from new professions and such, I think it was great decision to give new players gilding and mounts. It has zero effect on me since I have HoT/PoF but it shows that ArenaNet is following through with their promise of evolving the game to focus on the players.  It's a philosophy that will hopefully extend to the new PvE story content, updating of WvW mechanics etc.  

I also like how they keep emphasizing how beautiful the EoD zones are.  No more rotting, corrupted, jungle mazes or blasted wastelands (because who doesn't like spending their free time wandering around a game zone that looks like it would smell like a sewage treatment plant?) .  I'm sure there will be less pleasant areas EoD, but I think this is another sign that ArenaNet is throwing off former design attitudes that didn't put as much emphasis on making an enjoyable gameplay experience for players.

Edited by DoctorOverlord.8620
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I can't understand why anyone would buy EoD based on what was revealed so far. It's an easy "not buy" for me, because the e-specs and the first map were thoroughly unimpressive. Given that Lost Ark will be released around the same time, I will likely not buy in Feb.

Edited by mistsim.2748
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 10/5/2021 at 10:52 PM, AgentMoore.9453 said:

If you just want new maps, masteries, specs, and achievements, then it'll probably be worth the base price even if you don't like parts of those elements. As for pre-ordering, it only matters if you care about the bonuses that come with each tier. I still haven't decided whether or not to buy myself, but I also feel no urgency to do so.

I want the maps, could not care less about masteries or achievements. Still worth pre-ordering to me. 😎

I already bought it.  I cannot wait to get back to Cantha.  For me, Cantha, fishing, and boats were more than enough to get me to buy it.  After all... it has to be better than HoT ha ha.  Got my glider, and got out of there. I like to support the game, but that was pretty much a waste of my money...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2021 at 5:46 PM, Baldovin.1392 said:

I'm on edge to buy the upcoming EoD. More of leaning towards not buying it.

Although I love the content, the lack of engine upgrade since the original GW2 release is a deal breaker for me. 

I think that you (and quite a lot of other people I see on the forums recently) are overthinking this. People are making "in-depth" analysis and predictions based on pretty much nothing and get into pointless arguments. Just look at the comments here- people are either upset because the expansion did not change the things they were hoping to get changed or they are super excited about the upcoming content. Unfortunately, this is how our tribal monkey brains work and I seriously doubt that anyone can make the decision for you. 

But since you are asking, here are my 2 cents:

I look at video games as a form of entertainment and naturally I compare their value to other forms of entertainment. If I go to the movies I'll probably spend 25 bucks for the ticket, popcorn, drink, w/e and this will bring me a couple of hours of entertainment. Buying EOD for the same amount of money will bring me a lot more hours, so it is a lot more back for my buck. Even if the expansion ends up not good enough. I'll spend at least 50 hours doing the story, exploring and checking all new crap they add. Then, I'll spend at least a few hours playing out each new spec to see how they are. When I find the one I like the most I'll probably take it out for a spin in WvW, fractals and so on(I'll probably do this with multiple specs). So at the end of the day, by the time I do all this I would spend at least 100 hours of having fun and playing around with thigs. Even if everything fails and burns to the ground as some people suggest, I literally bought 100 hours of fun for 25 bucks. I'm sure I'll spend a lot more than that, but realistically this is the bare minimum if the expansion is total garbage and the game dies with it. 

Also, when it comes to spending money on random things I go by "if there is doubt, there is no doubt". In your case you are clearly not overly excited about the expansion, so just don't buy it now. The game won't be released for another 3 months or so. If you don't buy it now it does not mean that you can't buy it later on. Maybe you will get some extra money and won't care about the 25 bucks "wasted", maybe you will see something that intrigues you later on or maybe some of your friends will decide to start playing and you will get hyped because of them. This is a video game, not an investment or a lifetime commitment. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

From what I'm seeing, I may actually stop playing entirely due to Anet's obstinate desire to pile on visual noise into the game, even reaching areas well outside of the expansion settings. It gets in the way of my enjoyment of the game and has been a growing problem before this expansion was even announced. Not buying this expansion is the only real action I can take to signal my disapproval of this direction and as there are many other things competing for my attention, it seems to be the best decision I can make. I guess I can finally look forward to playing through GW1 instead.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 10/6/2021 at 1:42 AM, Baldovin.1392 said:

So upon reading this it was like Christmas present. I went strait to the graphic options to enable it and test the new DX11, restart the game and the disappointment was immeasurable. My FPS was till low. 😔

So just for the reference, my FPS is 15 at medium configuration, and if I chose the best performance option it is around 25-30 which is still to low compared to the ugly settings I get.

My hardware configuration is:

* CPU: AMD 8350 Eight core-OC to 4.51 GHz

* GPU: Sapphire R9 290X OC TRI-X

* RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series-16GB DDR3 1800MHz

* MBO:ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0

* Operating on Windows 10 Pro x64

* All drivers up to date, just for reference GPU driver is Radeon 21.3.2

So as you can see I have a decant PC, but GW2 is barely playable for me. So one can understand the need for extremely beater upgrade on their game engine and performance, since other games run flawlessly for me, and unfortunately GW2 does not.

That is unusual, because I have an average to good gaming laptop and my average fps is much better than that. If you continue to have issues I would recommend putting the character render count to a lower setting. That should at least boost your performance in busier areas without losing out on shiny graphics. 

(Sorry a bit late)

8 hours ago, ProtoGunner.4953 said:

It's 30 bucks, I pay that for a food delivery meal for one person which I do like 2-3 times per week. Is this even a discussion?

You see advertisement, and called the number on the advertisement.
You order burger, they give you sugar coated donut. You have diabetes and can't eat they delivered.
What would you do?
This is discussion.
You are expecting something from them yet they brought you something you don't like, while others may like it but you can't.
One wrong move it will be mass exodus on the playerbase the overall playerbase. I hope just hope they'll have now a better feedback mechanism, their current is not working very well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Norbe.7630 said:

You order burger, they give you sugar coated donut. You have diabetes and can't eat they delivered.
What would you do?
This is discussion.
You are expecting something from them yet they brought you something you don't like, while others may like it but you can't.
One wrong move it will be mass exodus on the playerbase the overall playerbase. I hope just hope they'll have now a better feedback mechanism, their current is not working very well.

You are 100% correct, but I believe that you kind of missed the point of the comment above. He basically said that the game is so cheap there is no point in discussing it. It's a bit of a rude way to say it, but it is kind of true. Most indie games are like 20 euros these days and the AAAs are 40-60 euros

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/1/2021 at 1:39 PM, Malice.5867 said:

You are 100% correct, but I believe that you kind of missed the point of the comment above. He basically said that the game is so cheap there is no point in discussing it. It's a bit of a rude way to say it, but it is kind of true. Most indie games are like 20 euros these days and the AAAs are 40-60 euros

Regardless of how cheap it is, ANET and NCSoft are still relying on selling it and plenty of people will see $30 and easily do something else with that money if they don't like what they see. It's a valid discussion.

Edit: Ah the "confused emoji brigade". I like how people are just like who cares, its $30. How cheap something is should not be the measure of whether you buy it or not.

Edited by Faridah.8431
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

9 hours ago, Faridah.8431 said:

Regardless of how cheap it is, ANET and NCSoft are still relying on selling it and plenty of people will see $30 and easily do something else with that money if they don't like what they see. It's a valid discussion.

What makes it most valid as a discussion is the fact that the game is played world wide right. The average salary in some eastern european countries is like 400 euro a month, and that is very different compared to other parts of europe where paying 25-30 euro for a single meal is normal and not even considered as spending a lot of money. I think that this is a very important thing that people need to have in mind and they clearly don't

I completely agree that over the last few (not even few) years GW2 has seen barely any meaningful updates. sPvP and WvW have been on life support for years. I can see why a dedicated PvP player won't be excited about the expansion AND if he is from a country with lesser income paying 25 euro for a game that brings nothing to the mode he plays won't be a very attractive deal at all. However, that does not mean that the entire expansion is bad and not worth buying. It's not worth buying for that specific type of player and I wouldn't argue with this or try to convince anyone in this position to buy it. But, objectively speaking we're getting new zones filled with new events, achievments and so on, we're getting 9 new specs, new mounts, etc. and for 25 euro that is a lot of content (especially compared to the crappy LS that brings 1 new map once every few months).

17 hours ago, Norbe.7630 said:

What would you do?
This is discussion.

And yet you've repeatedly said you were buying the expansion, just not pre-purchasing it.  Seems you'll eat the doughnut after all.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Norbe.7630 said:

What would you do?
This is discussion.

You'll buy it anyways. And if not: then you have spoken with your wallet. It's that simple. They don't make the game for you, they make it for the community. You have your opinion. I am really not that into 'it has to be the best or whatever'. I like to play casually from time to time and make a legendary here or there. The maps look okay and I have strong sense of nostalgia cuz Factions.

Of course I hoped for new weapons or the Tengu as a playable race, more graphical improvements. But it seems they don't have the resources to do that. Live with it, or don't. But don't act like a child who doesn't get the Lego you wanted. That's how this forum acts at the moment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Malice.5867 said:

What makes it most valid as a discussion is the fact that the game is played world wide right. The average salary in some eastern european countries is like 400 euro a month, and that is very different compared to other parts of europe where paying 25-30 euro for a single meal is normal and not even considered as spending a lot of money. I think that this is a very important thing that people need to have in mind and they clearly don't

I completely agree that over the last few (not even few) years GW2 has seen barely any meaningful updates. sPvP and WvW have been on life support for years. I can see why a dedicated PvP player won't be excited about the expansion AND if he is from a country with lesser income paying 25 euro for a game that brings nothing to the mode he plays won't be a very attractive deal at all. However, that does not mean that the entire expansion is bad and not worth buying. It's not worth buying for that specific type of player and I wouldn't argue with this or try to convince anyone in this position to buy it. But, objectively speaking we're getting new zones filled with new events, achievments and so on, we're getting 9 new specs, new mounts, etc. and for 25 euro that is a lot of content (especially compared to the crappy LS that brings 1 new map once every few months).

You are right of course. I am a bit biased since I grew up in Western Europe in a rich country with high wages. The discrepancy is abnormal to be honest. Our flat alone averages between 1000 and 2000 EUR which people are usually able to pay.

On 12/1/2021 at 4:52 PM, ProtoGunner.4953 said:

It's 30 bucks, I pay that for a food delivery meal for one person which I do like 2-3 times per week. Is this even a discussion?

No kidding. It is the price of a pizza.  Daily wages here are $6, but pizza is still $30 ha ha (glad I do not live on the local economy paycheck)😎

I'm definitely going to get it. My main interest is having new areas to explore and more story and from what we've seen so far of Cantha I'm really looking forward to it. But I also like the turtle mount and some of the elite specs (I already miss some of the untamed skills when I'm on my normal ranger).

I was taking my time deciding because there's no difference between pre-ordering early or just before release, but now I've made up my mind.

• Like 2