EoD expansion - buy or not to buy

2 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

And yet you've repeatedly said you were buying the expansion, just not pre-purchasing it.  Seems you'll eat the doughnut after all.

I repeatedly said I refunded my preorder. And my above reply before this is that reason.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

3 hours ago, ProtoGunner.4953 said:

You'll buy it anyways. And if not: then you have spoken with your wallet. It's that simple. They don't make the game for you, they make it for the community. You have your opinion. I am really not that into 'it has to be the best or whatever'. I like to play casually from time to time and make a legendary here or there. The maps look okay and I have strong sense of nostalgia cuz Factions.

Of course I hoped for new weapons or the Tengu as a playable race, more graphical improvements. But it seems they don't have the resources to do that. Live with it, or don't. But don't act like a child who doesn't get the Lego you wanted. That's how this forum acts at the moment.

I already bought and refunded. What I am telling you is that it's not about the price we are having discussion here. It's about the content. You basically said, it's 30 kaching and I can buy this game 2 to 3 times a week and is this even discussion?

I think you are acting like a spoiled child that think money is everything.

When the sale comes first and the truth comes second - Jessie J , Price Tag

Edited by Norbe.7630
  • Confused 5

Strange topic... the original post seemed to indicate a decision was already made if upgrades didn't occur, then the discourse went crazy regarding value, pricing, lack of content, expense dictating value... if your system can't play the game, don't even consider pre-ordering... just wait to see if your system can play the game sometime in the future and, if it can, evaluate then...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/1/2021 at 1:39 PM, Malice.5867 said:

You are 100% correct, but I believe that you kind of missed the point of the comment above. He basically said that the game is so cheap there is no point in discussing it. It's a bit of a rude way to say it, but it is kind of true. Most indie games are like 20 euros these days and the AAAs are 40-60 euros

Putting aside GW2 for a moment, take any game at any price. It doesn't matter how cheap it is, I am not buying a bad game (don't take this as me calling EoD bad), just making commentary. So I feel like the folks saying "it's $30, what's the problem" is really not a valid way to evaluate whether something should be bought or not. That logic says buy everything good or bad. "It's only $30!!!" and is maybe a bit of a privileged statement like who cares if you throw away $30. That's how that statement comes off to me.

I'll probably end up buying it as returning to Cantha holds some value to me as a player, but I haven't seen anything that makes me want to pre-order it yet like I did with HoT and PoF.

Edited by Faridah.8431
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

"It's only $30" means a person has weighed what they expect to get from the expansion and found it worth $30, but might not find it worth more, and wouldn't be interested if it cost say, $50.

Others have looked at what's been revealed so far, and don't think it's worth $30, and aren't going to buy it, or have gotten a refund and are careful to let us know as often as possible that they have.

It's called perceived value.That's how markets work. That's how people make or don't make purchases every day.

Well, except for the telling everybody about it part.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

On 12/2/2021 at 10:07 PM, Kelian Ravenwood.4130 said:

Strange topic... the original post seemed to indicate a decision was already made if upgrades didn't occur, then the discourse went crazy regarding value, pricing, lack of content, expense dictating value... if your system can't play the game, don't even consider pre-ordering... just wait to see if your system can play the game sometime in the future and, if it can, evaluate then...

Yup, it really is strange. OP will do whatever they want anyways, I don't see in what way anything anyone says here will decide whether or not he'll buy the expansion. If he enjoys the game right now, it's literally enough to buy the expansion to have more content. If he doesn't like the game, he won't buy it anyways. Pointless thread is pointless.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

5 hours ago, Norbe.7630 said:

Lol, I don't consider that "it's only $30" as a valid argument. It's a desperate statement trying defend blindly a poorly made xpac.

Nobody needs to "defend" anything here. It was clear what you're doing the moment you've created thread about "how long do I have to refund" instead of just writing to support to refud the game right away. Now you know you'll buy it back anyways and yet... here you are, doing what you're doing for whatever reason 🤷‍♂️

Seriously, nobody cares if you buy the game or not, it will influence nothing and nobody. And it's clear you'll buy it anyways 😄

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

Yeah the it "costs nothing to me" mentality is imo what makes companies think...well god kitten why should I bother being so kitten creative and paying people all this money when a mobile game using flash makes more money just cause it uses popular cute franchise like characters/vibes and is mind numbing enough to certain people to squeeze wallets.

I was surprised that EoD is a thing at all I thought gw2 is done..no shame in that...gw1 ended at some point. 

But I personally sharply lost interest in gw2 when I saw the especs preview...there was a seen it before design vibe "pruning" if you will and I abandoned ship immediately it is not my thing, this didn't feel like the prior expansions.

However I am realising a lot of players play games for reasons I personally don't connect with and so many games -forget gw2- are so mechanically 'simple' (literal walking simulators with whatever stories no replayability or even online presence) yet they charge in the 70$ range and I see players still praising the game and doing all the pr for them by mauling any negative opinion as "mean ungrateful people"??? The target audience that pays whatever for whatever is no joke and can't really blame them for targeting that kind of consumer instead of the well maybe it's not worth it ones.

I played gw2 cause it stood out in so many ways compared to other mmos it felt like gw2 is always trying to be the "cooler" mmo...but I think it's not interested in standing out anymore just gauging how can we not use up too many resources/remilking yet make profit. Can't really blame them..but...personally not interested.

I in general avoid prepurchasing/early access antics..all that stuff is a no go for me no matter how good a game looks or established a brand - "here is my money I'll wait..a few months....for who knows what surprise"...what???. My mouth agapes at how people throw their money so freely, am I really that poor lol. Fishing and turtle feel like shut up and take my money memes...and that's a kitten good meme.

Edited by aetemes.2603
Memes.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2021 at 6:42 PM, Baldovin.1392 said:

So upon reading this it was like Christmas present. I went strait to the graphic options to enable it and test the new DX11, restart the game and the disappointment was immeasurable. My FPS was till low. 😔

So just for the reference, my FPS is 15 at medium configuration, and if I chose the best performance option it is around 25-30 which is still to low compared to the ugly settings I get.

My hardware configuration is:

* CPU: AMD 8350 Eight core-OC to 4.51 GHz

* GPU: Sapphire R9 290X OC TRI-X

* RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series-16GB DDR3 1800MHz

* MBO:ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0

* Operating on Windows 10 Pro x64

* All drivers up to date, just for reference GPU driver is Radeon 21.3.2

So as you can see I have a decant PC, but GW2 is barely playable for me. So one can understand the need for extremely beater upgrade on their game engine and performance, since other games run flawlessly for me, and unfortunately GW2 does not.

Sounds like the classic case of, you're using your integrated graphics card instead of your dedicated GPU. Can almost guarantee that's your problem.

I'm not sure how to configure it with an AMD card. It's in Nvidia Control panel with Nvidia card. So I would google "how to disable integrated graphics card in a game with AMD" or something like that.

There's also the last resort to completely disable your integrated graphics card in BIOS.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Never preorder.

Wait a week for reviews and launch woes.

Then decide.

There are more games than can ever be played so theres no rush on any one. Ive found as ive gotten older fomo just isnt a thing anymore. It will still be there. And if it isnt well you must not have missed much.

Edited by fenriswolfman.5486
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

On 1/28/2022 at 1:08 PM, jokke.6239 said:

Sounds like the classic case of, you're using your integrated graphics card instead of your dedicated GPU. Can almost guarantee that's your problem.

The AMD FX-8350 is a desktop processor that does not have integrated graphics.

So, no, that is not the problem.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, fenriswolfman.5486 said:

Never preorder.

Wait a week for reviews and launch woes.

Then decide.

There are more games than can ever be played so theres no rush on any one. Ive found as ive gotten older fomo just isnt a thing anymore. It will still be there. And if it isnt well you must not have missed much.

The "problem" with this argument is... you're already playing GW2. And HoT. And PoF. Launch woes is irrevant unless you plan to stop playing period. And reviews? "More GW2". There I saved you the wait.

Its not like its even a rush to play it. I already know I'll get 30+ hours more worth of gameplay even if the expansion is meh.

For a new game which you havent played or havent really seen yet they promise the skies, I fully agree with you!

In fact GW2 is the main reason I stopped buying games like that, because I didnt need to get my next timefiller high and be early to make it "worth" it. In the future when GW2 dies that will change. Not yet though. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I disagree, a new paid expansion or dlc is a good time to re-evaluate how you feel about a game. It can be pretty easy to go with the flow, especially you're getting content like living story episodes that you only need to log in for. GW2 has been around for almost a decade. Are you still having fun? Enjoying the story? Are you getting the kind of content you were hoping for? If the answer is yes, fantastic. If it isn't, no harm in waiting to see. A pre-order typically gets you little of real value.

For me it's not so much about the purchase price, which isn't a lot for me honestly. It's as much about time, and I have a lot less time for games than I used to, and an MMO sucks up a lot of it. Is this the best, most enjoyable game I could spend my time on? There was a time when the answer was unequivocally yes, but it isn't any more. 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

I do not prepurchase other games but I prepurchased EoD.

Yes, I do not know everything thats included in EoD and the announcements felt a little bit underwhelming. I prepurchased HoT and PoF and they did not disappoint me. I had a ton of fun with those expansions. If I have only half the fun with EoD, it will be worth my money.

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 4

I had no qualms about pre-ordering; nor did my wife or daughter who both also play. We all expect(ed) to get our money's worth from EoD.

The only regret now is mine as I had a stroke 2 weeks ago (older gamer here), and it has heavily impacted my left side, and left hand in particular. I have a couple of characters with builds I can play "ok'ish" one-handed with an mmo mouse, but maneuverability is really impacted without the ability to strafe. At least for me, that lack of control lessens my enjoyment and play time. Still, it's early yet and I could see improvement; I just have to set my expectations lower, though certainly not due to anything about EoD.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 12/13/2021 at 6:42 AM, Norbe.7630 said:

Lol, I don't consider that "it's only $30" as a valid argument. It's a desperate statement trying defend blindly a poorly made xpac.

So to be honest, there are a lot of games I would pay $30 for, but I wouldn't pay $1000.  I imagine you feel similarly, or would you be willing to pay $1000 for a game?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Noone knows if its a poorly made xpack, all this is just doomsaying because you dont like what you see so far.  If anything Anet dropped the ball on advertising it, but it doesnt mean the expack is bad. Never judge a book on its cover, its exactly whats happening here. Thusly why I cant take the OP seriously.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1