PSA: Dreambound weapons are limited to 1 per account

Pheex.8932

For those that don't know, you can get a Dreambound weapon in your race's starting zone from the Mist Stranger.

These weapons level up with your character level and are only available from October 5 until October 12.

Dreambound weapons are limited to 1 per account, and the class you pick the box up on determines the weapon selection you have available.

For example, my ranger box allows me to choose between Longbow Shortbow Sword Greatsword Axe.

The weapon is always statted with berserker and is account bound. They use the Daydreamer skins.

You can only choose from your classes base weapon selection, you can't select from elite spec weapons or offhand weapons (shield)

So think about your choice before you randomly pick the box up!

Edited by Pheex.8932
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 14

15 minutes ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

So, if I pick it up with a level 80 toon, it starts at level 80?

Yes, but it still adjusts to any character who is using it.

I got a greatsword on my level 80 ranger and when I preview it on her it's got 964 - 1065 attack power, when I pass it to a level 33 mesmer it's got 342 - 378 attack. It seems to scale automatically to whichever character you're logged into rather than adjusting to the level of the one who picks it up and then staying like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lanz.7312 said:

It's really stupid that it's not mentioned in-game that it's one-per-account and that you can only pick from a selection based on your current class. So many people are going to just be annoyed by this. 

It's a bit more effort to get, but if you want more weapons with the same effects you can get the Bloodbound Weapons.

If you want the skins you can buy them from the Trading Post.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

It's a bit more effort to get, but if you want more weapons with the same effects you can get the Bloodbound Weapons.

If you want the skins you can buy them from the Trading Post.

Yeah, it's not that big a deal for me personally, since I got a weapon for the only character I have left to level, but it's usually bad form to be so unclear about the limitations on something like this until it's too late for people to change their mind. 

8 minutes ago, miraude.2107 said:

@Pheex.8932
Add onto your post that there are no off hand options if you can. I settled on going for a shield after looking at the skins and do sword and board leveling on my guardian with the bonus boon and it was not available at all. Engineers got shafted as it just offers pistol and rifle apparently.

This information is being spelled out for you before you pick the option to receive a weapon. Both "only once" and "selection of main-hand weapons".

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, miraude.2107 said:

@Pheex.8932
Add onto your post that there are no off hand options if you can. I settled on going for a shield after looking at the skins and do sword and board leveling on my guardian with the bonus boon and it was not available at all. Engineers got shafted as it just offers pistol and rifle apparently.

ty, added that, sorry to hear

Does it matter how you get to level 10?  I had a level 9 character that used 2 tomes of knowledge to get to level 11...no weapon, no mail alert, nothing...

ETA: someone told me where to find the vendor, but I never got any alert or mail about it, and even the mist stranger in Shaemoor doesn't have anything over his head to make him stand out as a vendor...very odd.

Edited by Sylvyn.4750
  • Like 1

its missleading. its clearly says "for your Class <insertcurrentlyusing>" and thats wrong.

i was there with my Ranger as Soulbeast and the text says "for your Class Soulbeast".

same with my Guardian als Dragonhunter and now Longbow available.

its probaly a bug, because they think your are level 10 when talking to him.

1 hour ago, Stalkingwolf.6035 said:

its missleading. its clearly says "for your Class <insertcurrentlyusing>" and thats wrong.

i was there with my Ranger as Soulbeast and the text says "for your Class Soulbeast".

same with my Guardian als Dragonhunter and now Longbow available.

its probaly a bug, because they think your are level 10 when talking to him.

You are still a ranger as a class with soulbeast elite spec that is not a class.

8 hours ago, Sylvyn.4750 said:

Does it matter how you get to level 10?  I had a level 9 character that used 2 tomes of knowledge to get to level 11...no weapon, no mail alert, nothing...

ETA: someone told me where to find the vendor, but I never got any alert or mail about it, and even the mist stranger in Shaemoor doesn't have anything over his head to make him stand out as a vendor...very odd.

As long as you are over level 10 you can find the npc in your starting area. You get no mail or notification.

How you get to 10 doesn't matter either, I boosted a char from 1 to 60 and picked up the box on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

I'm away from my home machine at the mo so can't check, but do these only go up to Exotic, or will they go up to Ascended?

They don't change rarity, they're always exotic.

The stats change dynamically based on the level of the character using the weapon (they're account bound so you can pass them around) and that can go either way - for example I passed it from a level 80 character to a level 33 one and the stats went down, then back up when I passed it to a higher level character.

I haven't checked but I assume the stats are the same as a normal exotic weapon of the same level (although there are no level 10 exotics) since the point is to give new players a useful weapon to use while levelling up, not to give long-term players a guaranteed best-in-slot item.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Looked at these on the wiki and frankly wasn't very impressed.  I don't care for any of the skins and my ascended weapons already outclass these.  Guess I'm not sure what all the hype is about.

They're designed for new players, and possibly those who frequently level new characters. The main benefit is that you will always have a level appropriate exotic weapon of that type, so it's one less thing to worry about while levelling up. Of course once you've been level 80 for a while you'll probably replace it with an ascended weapon but until then it's useful.

For long-term players it doesn't have much benefit. It's a free black lion weapon skin, but as you said that's not much use if you don't like the skin, and could be useful if you have characters below level 80, but once you've gotten used to the game it's not hard to keep up with level appropriate equipment and not necessary to keep it exactly at your level (or top tier) because the game isn't that demanding. But it's not really aimed at us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Looked at these on the wiki and frankly wasn't very impressed.  I don't care for any of the skins and my ascended weapons already outclass these.  Guess I'm not sure what all the hype is about.

I haven’t seen a great deal of hype anywhere. I can imagine it’d be pretty sweet to have one for anyone actually leveling a new character.

As someone who’s bank is overloaded with various level ups I never plan to start a character without immediately hitting 80, so yeah, not as big a deal.

I do like several of the skins though. I’ve got a bark colored Sylvari with the sprouting sticks hair and green dyed Lich outfit to make him look like a wood spirit/faun with the digitigrade legs. The greatsword looks really nice on him.

I appreciate that ANet decided to give us free access to a cosmetic set in addition to the functionality for new leveling characters. It could have just been the latter as a way of enticing new players. This way there’s something available for veterans of the game as well.

It’s too bad none of the skins appealed to you. I’ve definitely experienced that. I’m looking at the pact weapon skins from the Return to Living Workd achievements and none of them look like anything I’d put on any of my characters. The hammer, with it’s spinning gears is the only one I really appreciate, but my Engie is specced Holosmith. Might have to spend some time playing Scrapper just to get some use from the skin. 😄

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Pheex.8932 said:

As long as you are over level 10 you can find the npc in your starting area. You get no mail or notification.

How you get to 10 doesn't matter either, I boosted a char from 1 to 60 and picked up the box on it.

If this weapon is geared to help newer players, receiving mail from the vendor explaining where he is and what he has would be helpful...as it is a new player would have to just stumble upon the guy and see what he has to offer, some may never cross paths with him before they are off to other higher level areas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sylvyn.4750 said:

If this weapon is geared to help newer players, receiving mail from the vendor explaining where he is and what he has would be helpful...as it is a new player would have to just stumble upon the guy and see what he has to offer, some may never cross paths with him before they are off to other higher level areas.

I agree.

4 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

The respective NPC mentions this loud and clear.

he does and it's also in the patch notes, but sometimes people just miss things

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Pheex.8932 said:

For those that don't know, you can get a Dreambound weapon in your race's starting zone from the Mist Stranger.

These weapons level up with your character level and are only available from October 5 until October 12.

Dreambound weapons are limited to 1 per account, and the class you pick the box up on determines the weapon selection you have available.

For example, my ranger box allows me to choose between Longbow Shortbow Sword Greatsword Axe.

The weapon is always statted with berserker and is account bound. They use the Daydreamer skins.

You can only choose from your classes base weapon selection, you can't select from elite spec weapons or offhand weapons (shield)

So think about your choice before you randomly pick the box up!

Are the weapons single acquisition, or single ownership? Can you delete the weapon an get another one, or does your account just get a single chance?