is the wait time on the clock tower jp for real?

legitimatebadger.7103

this is my first halloween, and I'm usually a big fan of jumping puzzles and festivals, but the wait between attempts is honestly putting me off the whole thing.

this isn't a comment about the puzzle or its difficulty, the problem is that I don't actually get to play the puzzle for two thirds of the time I'm in this map. a tricky jump in a puzzle is fine, who doesn't love a challenge, but not when you only get one attempt at it every 2 minutes. it's not even like I can stop paying attention and do something else while I wait, because you have to constantly keep one eye on the timer.

i won't suggest a specific solution, but I feel like the design of this is extremely disrespectful of my time as a player. maybe some people are okay with the wait, but as someone who likes to make the most of the time I have for GW this is not it. i can appreciate reworking old festival content probably isn't a high priority for the team, but it seems a shame for a potentially great puzzle to be locked behind mind-numbing wait times.

</rant>

Edited by peachplumbear.7160
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Yeah. Annoying. Especially for new people that need to train/learn. This year I found it pretty easy. Last year a bit harder. 2 years ago I had to train a bit more again though. (Did not play from 2014-2018 and only returned to GW2 in 2019.)

In 2012/2013 when doing it for the first time ... it took me hours of training for a few days. To manage to beat it. Without the waiting this would have been much better. The Wintersday JP is much better here - design-wise. (Well  Wintersday is more fun in general.)

• Like 1

My main complain about this jp is not the difficult level (even people like me who sucks at jp is able to complete after some practice), but the waiting time.  It is especially annoying for new players, who usually fails at the start.

As already stated, it should be like the wintersday jp: if you fail, you can immediately start again.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It's an issue that has been consistently raised for years. Equally consistently so far, Anet devs keep choosing to ignore it.

Or they don’t have an issue with it at this time. Not every issue that players raise requires an acknowledgement from the developers. Not every issue players raise is an actual issue which needs to be resolved. 

The next attempt won't start until there is at least a single player still jumping. If you fall at the beginning but there is a player that finishes the puzzle, that's when you have to wait the longest.

Similarly, if you successfully reach the end chest, those waiting at the start will start their next attempt immediately, so if you want to do the puzzle again, you will have to wait until that attempt is finished, either by reaching the end or by everyone falling to their death.

Why this is so, I think, is because it's a group instance and progress on the puzzle changes the course. (The green field moving up.) The only way to make it instantly repeatable is by making it a personal instance. I imagine that would be quite cumbersome for the servers, as every player would have their on copy of the map. That could be hundreds (or even thousands) of instances at any given time during the Festival.

• Like 2

I find that, often, if I play early in the morning I can get an instance to myself - which is much faster.  If you are a good jumper, right after reset also seems good as many of the people playing are not really good at the puzzle so they tend to fall off, giving you less of a wait.   Later in the evening the puzzle is mostly populated by more expert jumpers so the wait for them to finish tends to be longer.

On 10/5/2021 at 9:40 PM, peachplumbear.7160 said:

i won't suggest a specific solution, but I feel like the design of this is extremely disrespectful of my time as a player.

I agree. I usually make it up to the final chest in the clock room, but that doesn't save me from waiting, either. In fact, it gives you the longest possible wait time right after that. It's irritating, because you might lose your flow while waiting, and it's also plain boring.

The problem is that the whole map is one single instance. The timer is more friendly if you fail a lot, because you get to restart sooner than if you managed a longer distance (or the whole way for that matter).

No idea how that design concept could be fixed.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

When you fail the clock tower just wait for it to load into lobby and then alt tab (if you alt tab too soon the window would be light up from the teleport to lobby). Next time your Guild Wars 2 window in taskbar lights up, it means that the cinematic before the jp just started so you just switch back to gw2 window.

Edited by Templar.7268
  • Confused 1

Simplest solution would be to just put each player in their own instance.  That might use slightly more resources on Anets side (more instances to run), but I really don't know how many people are in the clock tower at one time, so not really sure how many more instances it would take up.

I was fortunately in that at near the tail end of one of the festival many years back, I waited for an instance to reset and managed to be in my own private instance for almost the full 20 minutes (I guess people had given up on the clock tower at that point).  That is one of the best experiences I ever had, and is what let me finally complete the clocktower.  Once I did it, I can now due it with it with some degree of regularity.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Compromise means you gain something in exchange for something else. Having to wait till everyone finishes or fails is not a compromise, because it does not offer you anything in exchange for waiting.

A compromise is "an agreement or a settlement of a dispute that is reached by each side making concessions." Maybe you don't wish to partake in that concession for instanced content but this is an MMO after all.

9 hours ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

A compromise is "an agreement or a settlement of a dispute that is reached by each side making concessions." Maybe you don't wish to partake in that concession for instanced content but this is an MMO after all.

Indeed. Each side has to make a concession that grants something to the other side of the argument. So, again, what exactly the people that do not want to wait get as a concession towards them? Because all i see is them making a concession, but not getting anything in exchange for that - and that is not a compromise. That's just a flat out loss.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1

The whole JP is the worst experience this game has offered me overall. It wastes more time with waiting and the intro cinematic than it provides gameplay time, it is laggy, buggy to this day, disingenuous and so starkly different from everything else the game has to offer, it needs to either go or be completely reworked for a better player experience.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Indeed. Each side has to make a concession that grants something to the other side of the argument. So, again, what exactly the people that do not want to wait get as a concession towards them? Because all i see is them making a concession, but not getting anything in exchange for that - and that is not a compromise. That's just a flat out loss.

They get the opportunity to practice that good ol value "PATIENCE" ❤️

Edited by HotDelirium.7984
  • Sad 1