Is Tower Jumping required for the new achievement? (optional now)

Bugabuga.9721

The Court Duty achievement (Court Duty: Gathering Evidence) requires Court Duty: Terror of the Tower -- gather 100 objectives. I can't reach even first off-side "chest" -- always get stuck in lower debris or fall off the stuff. Is there any other method to getting it? 

If not I guess there's no point in trying cause there's no way in Tyria I'll get anything out of that jumping puzzle

Edit: Thanks DEVs, now there is an angry chest that gives progression without actual jumping. This is a great compromise -- anyone who is good at jumping can do this achieve and get glorious Joko, and for those for whom jumping is hard there's a workaround now 😄 Yay

Edited by Bugabuga.9721
Updated due to patch
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

For those with the "try better" mentality keep in mind not everyone has the reflexes of a child and some have disabilities that prevent doing this type of platforming so have some compassion. Not everyone can do this type of thing, some of us know this is one achieve we will be unable to complete due to circumstances we have no control over. 

A better reply might have been to point the OP to look at the wiki for the route and some videos to see if that helps. Let's be kind to one another - there is too much meanness going on in the real world for people to get snarky in here.

Edited by Aerinndis.2730
clarified a sentence
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 4

for those stuck on "Court Duty: Where Lunatics Dare"

First do all the other collection because each one is a pre-request for a step here

I did all the achievements before going after this, so not sure what else is required

1- Confront Countess Zohrell in the middle of the Labyrinth

2- Confront Duke Wodlr next to the Ascent to Madness door in LA, the one west of the usual location of the mystic forge

3- (Harrower's Testimony)Harrower is a new mini boss inside the labby.  So just do regular labby farming, there are two new "doors" with mini bosses (one is at the north east part of labby, another at he lower end on the left (south west) side of the map).  After you "kill" the Harrower you can talk to that npc (she'll have a pumpkin icon over her head) and get her "testimony". Hope that helps. Credit to gingeriffic.9574

4- Confront  Huntsman Ysdon in Mad King's Raceway, look for the pumpkin icon that is not in the middle

Edited by monts.2189
  • Thanks 4

Harrower is a new mini boss inside the labby.  So just do regular labby farming, there are two new "doors" with mini bosses (one is at the north east part of labby, another at the lower end on the left (south west) side of the map).  After you "kill" the Harrower you can talk to that npc (she'll have a pumpkin icon over her head) and get her "testimony". Hope that helps. 🙂

I also found that the Huntsman NPC (who is inside the race track map) won't talk to you until you clear one of the race achievements (at least that's how it worked for me, he didn't want to talk to me until I got tier 1 of Lunatic Racer annual achievement).

Edited by gingeriffic.9574
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Try better" is rude and almost impressively unhelpful. I thought this community was better than that.

It's not surprising that many people have trouble with it, this is probably one of the hardest jumping puzzles in the game. If you're struggling here's some tips:

• I strongly recommend using Action Camera (you can set it to a keybinding in the options menu then use that to turn it on and off). With it on your camera will turn as you move the mouse without you needing to push any buttons. When you push forward (or turn on auto-run) your character will run in whichever direction the camera is pointing, so you can then complete the jumping puzzle with the mouse and 2 keys (forward and jump).
  • I also recommend zooming the camera out so you can see a wide area. I set Field of View to about half and then zoom the camera all the way out. Sometimes the tower will get in the way, but there's far more times when being able to see around you is helpful.
  • There's a few points where you may have to wait for platforms to appear and one point where you have to drop down to continue. If other players are around watch what they're doing, if there's more than one person just standing still wait and see what happesn. If you don't see other players often enough to follow their lead you can watch videos to spot these points or learn them by trial and error.
  • If you get to the top you'll need to wait for the tower to rotate to the window and for lightning to strike it before you can get in. If you didn't see that happen assume it hasn't happened yet. Depending on your connection, FPS and some other things you may have to jump as the lighting strikes, but you don't need to hit the window dead-on. (I usually jump so realistically my character would get a face full of broken glass, smack her shoulder into the wall and fall, but she gets in.)
  • It sounds contradictory but take your time. The time limit isn't as strict as it seems (you can even be a little way into the green water without being kicked out) so it's worth taking a few seconds to get a jump right rather than chancing it. Even if you aren't able to make it to the top this time practicing a tricky jump so you can do it next time is more worthwhile than panicking and jumping without thinking, hoping for the best.
  • Even if you can do it you will mess up sometimes. I've completed it 43 times since the annual achievements were added and many times before that and screwed up completely countless times in between. Tonight I completed it twice in a row, then failed 3 times in a row (once just slipping off the side of a beam as I ran along), then I finished it it again. I know I'm not the only person who is inconsistent at it, I think it would be rarer to find someone who genuinely completes it every single time they try.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

As someone with disability, that is a kitten excuse. If you're passionate and have the will, you can do anything.

It's the mindset of "You cannot demand this from me!" that stops most people in their tracks.

Practice and think outside the box. You can freely bind the keys in this game - use that function.

As someone with a disability, I am aware that different disabilities have different physiological disfunctions and affect different aspects of life.

In my case, no matter how hard I try, I can never see again.  Can't see = can't do the jumping puzzle as there is no way for me to aurally find the platforms to jump to.  

That is, unless, ArenaNet stealth added auditory cues like they did with the races.  I'll have to check, but I don't think they did.  

So, how do you propose that I change my mindset to be able to execute a purely visual task with no vision?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

"You, solve my problems for me!" 

You're proving my point.

This is probably the most crass statement ever posted on the forum, plus you demonstrate zero understanding of what I posted.

My point is that you cannot will the restoration of vision where there is none.   If the task requires vision, and the person has none, then the task is impossible.  No amount of wishful thinking can change that.

I did post that ArenaNet can program sound indications to help blind players echolocate the platforms.  However, no amount of wishful thinking on my end can will this function into existence.

My point is that you demonstrably have no understanding of human physiology and for some reason don't understand that different disabilities have different physiological effects which affect different aspects of life.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gingeriffic.9574 said:

Harrower is a new mini boss inside the labby.  So just do regular labby farming, there are two new "doors" with mini bosses (one is at the north east part of labby, another at the lower end on the left (south west) side of the map).  After you "kill" the Harrower you can talk to that npc (she'll have a pumpkin icon over her head) and get her "testimony". Hope that helps. 🙂

I also found that the Huntsman NPC (who is inside the race track map) won't talk to you until you clear one of the race achievements (at least that's how it worked for me, he didn't want to talk to me until I got tier 1 of Lunatic Racer annual achievement).

Any idea about the fifth ? Courtier's Testimony ?

6 minutes ago, monts.2189 said:

Any idea about the fifth ? Courtier's Testimony ?

Yeah, you need to talk to Courtier Xikka, next to the jumping puzzle (the clock tower) portal in Lions Arch.
But first you need to complete the required jumping puzzle achievement (or just open the first chest enough times to earn progress, according to another player's post).. so even if you can't finish the clock tower, there is hope 🙂

Short guide is up on reddit:

Edited by gingeriffic.9574
because I can't spell puzzle apparently lol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

Yes, you just had to go and get your 'holier-than-thou' -moment by picking the most extreme example out of a bunch.

Genuinely dislike people like you, you bring a bad name to every single one of "us". Enjoy your victim card.

It's not the most extreme example, just my disability.

Also, what victim card?  I have always posted about how to play this game blind.  I'm just correcting you in your disingenuous assertion that disabled people can just change their mindset to do anything.  That is not true.  We can adapt, but there are limitations that require outside help.

On 9/25/2021 at 10:51 PM, Rogue.8235 said:

So I use JAWS 21 and have scripted it for limited use with video games.

Unfortunately, I ignore chat most of the time as my current workaround is screen capture -> OCR which is extremely time-consuming.  The obvious solution is in-game voice communication, but that is obviously not feasible (there's a reason why most development studios avoid this).

Playing GW2, in particular, is an extreme exercise in aural-cognitive processing.  

There are distinct sounds for when a skill hits, misses, is blocked, critically hits, et cetera.

There is distinct dialogue for when your character receives a boon or condition.  Problem, the engine doesn't render overlapping sounds.  If you get two boons simultaneously, only one audio cue will trigger.

Huge suggestion.  Invest in surround sound headset.  The game does use 3d sound, and so your ability to echolocate translates into the game.  This is how I find enemies.  

Different enemies make different sounds.  This is an exercise of aural memory and recall.

Different skills have different sounds.  You can identify enemy players and friendly players based on the sounds of skills going off.  If you are in a zerg, well your hearing what everyone is seeing, which is a big mess.

Following player zergs is gong to be the most difficult and frustrating experiences you'll have in the game.  If you have a surround sound heaset, you have a bit of continual echo location to help.  Do not expect to be able to keep up with every zerg.  You will lose track of them and not find them again.  This is okay.

Mouse:

Adjust the DPI of your mouse to exactly conform to your mouse pad.  That is, when your cursor is in each corner of the screen, your mouse is physically located on the corresponding corner.  That way, when your mouse is in the center of the pad, your cursor is centered on the screen.  do not pick up the mouse.  

This allows you to have a tactile way to track where your cursor is in the game.

In-game windows must be set up by you.  These things do not ever move once you set them up to your liking.  My inventory window is in the upper left quadrant, so I can navigate inventory by feel via my mouse pad and mouse.

To identify the item in a particular inventory slot, do the following.

Press enter.

Type backslash wiki

hold shift and click the item in question.

The result is that your browser opens up the guild wars 2 wiki page and you can use your screen reader from there.

One of the biggest things is to adjust expectations.  I don't know how long you've been blind, but as blind players we must accept that we cannot do everything in game.  There are just some things we will not be able to do, and that's okay.

If you get this far into the game, the skyscale mount is both a blessing and a curse.  I have, on many occasions, gotten lost in the middle of the air on my skyscale because I lost complete track of where I'm going.  Oh on the point of navigation.

When navigating, use the same life skills you've acquired in game.  You must constantly have that internal map going, keeping in mind the shape of the path you're taking so you can return to your original point.  

There is a distinct sound difference if you are running into an object and not actually moving.  Pay attention to that to track where walls are.  Unfortunately, this is all you have for tracking obstacles.  There is no reverb in game to track deadspace like in real life.

Mapping is going to be your longest task in game.  Familiarizing yourself with a map will take seemingly forever, but it's good cognitive exercise.  You will not be able to just rush off into random maps like other players.  We blind players need to be cognizant of our pathing.

That's all for now as I'm cooking dinner.  Please ask me all the questions you want.

Edit: Also adding the feedback I did a long while ago pertaining to this festival.

Edited by Rogue.8235
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

As someone with disability, that is a kitten excuse. If you're passionate and have the will, you can do anything.

It's the mindset of "You cannot demand this from me!" that stops most people in their tracks.

Practice and think outside the box. You can freely bind the keys in this game - use that function.

As someone who gets severe motion sickness while doing the normal jumping puzzles, I suppose I could just suck it up and "try better" at the ones with all the moving parts and flashing lights, but that, of course, would result in nausea, headaches, vomiting, and probably a several hours long episode of Afib at 140bpm or so and being pretty much non functioning for several days.  It's just not worth it. But thanks for the cheerleading.  As someone with a disability, I would think you would understand that not all disabilities are the same.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Wanted to stop by to say I appreciate the suggestions like using the action camera and maybe just working on trying to get the first chest, then do that like 20 times. I don't know if I'm going to continue on that line or not, but after 15 failures, it's looking doubtful. It's a combination of the timer that kills you and the timer you have to wait between, it's most likely not something I'm going to be able to do.

Having said that, did want to tip my hat to the ideas. I'm sure it will help some people. 

• Like 7

Is this something completely new? I wasn't aware the jumping puzzle has checkpoints now. I've been unable to even get half-way through the the Clocktower for the 9 years it's been in the game. If there are multiple chests I've never gotten one.

When they made the new outfit achievement set most players who complained about the jumping puzzle's difficulty then got shouted down by the "Try better" crowd. So it's honestly nice to see anyone here saying "yeah this does kind of suck"

• Like 5

4 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

It’s about 10 seconds into the JP during the first jumping part. Players can focus doing that as it gives 5 points. It’s not fast progress but it’s still progress without needing to beat the JP. 

What chest? There are no chests unless you finish the JP... 😕

According to notes on the Wiki: Joshua Foreman built this map, he estimated "maybe 5% of people would make it to  the top."

So, now we have a new achievement locked behind a JP that was deliberately designed so most people would never finish it.  I was looking forward to the new content until I saw this part... now I'm just disappointed.

Edited by LadyWolfsong.3208
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Even if I could do the clocktower achievement (which is very hard with my disability and dysfunction giving me painful cramps when doing stuff that needs a more fine motor skills and generally using mouse and keyboard for longer periods of time) I wouldn't be able to finish it anyways because I got one of these trash loot items from the speaking with certain NPCs achievement and didn't know yet what to do with it and thought it was jsut regular trash you can sell, I sold it and now it completely stalls because the courtiers will only notice the gargoyle claw I found in the race area. I talked to the NPC in the area and found out taht I'm now pretty much screwed since I already sold the other one without talking to any of them. 
Just as an info and warning for anyone not knowing that these items are required before you sell them. 

• Like 3

Honestly, I wish that there was some sort of "easier" mode just for doing the "base" achievements like the Shadow of the Mad King achievements with rewards that'll just end up on a vendor next year. But not more "difficult" ones that are supposed to be rewards for those who went through the pain of the normal version, if that makes sense, even maybe make a custom reward for those who went through the normal version, since it was made in mind or goal that only 5% of players may even complete it anyway.

All the easier one really has to be is a non-time limited instance, maybe even allow Mesmer portals, so that players who can do it can help others to do it. It pains me as someone who made a Mesmer for the ability to help others with jump puzzles to watch as people can't get the reward they want because of reasons out of their control, and not be able to help.

I did Clocktower last year, and finished it, but this year I'm having physical issues that's going to prevent me from doing it (hands locking up and being in immense pain with movement) so I've told myself I'm not doing it again this year unless the reward was really enticing (It isn't to me honestly), because it wasn't particularly fun. I love jump puzzles in MMO's, but I'm not particularly fond of this one, and the fact I can't really help others do it demotivates me even further.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1