Is Tower Jumping required for the new achievement? (optional now)

Bugabuga.9721

5 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Now you're being disingenious. On one hand you are saying "those two have a connection, because Anet made an achievement that can be progressed by either, even though before that they did not" but on the other you claim "Anet cannot make an achievement that can be progressed by those two things, because they do not have a connection at the moment".

If we ignore the current set of achievements (seeing as we're talking about potentially modifying those), Descend to Madness and LA's Royal Tradition have about as much in common as Clocktower and the new Labyrinth JP.

No I’m not. You’re trying to state that a random, hidden achievement is connected to a set of achievements that are directly tied to each other. 

The set of court duty achievements are all tied to Halloween activities.  The achievement with the Prince is not and is just a one-time,  hidden achievement which could easily be overlooked.  At best, it could be tied to the achievement where you listen to the dialogue in the labyrinth.

Edited by mythical.6315

21 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

The first chest is like 10 seconds into the JP and it gives 5 points. You only need to open that one 20 times during the Halloween event to complete the achievement. You can just make it an unofficial daily and open it once per day. 

It takes more than 10 seconds to get to the first chest.  The first explosion that opens up the path doesn't happen within 10 seconds, so it's literally impossible to progress that far in 10 seconds.

What does the wiki say?

"There is a bar on the left side leading to a platform and chest, but it can be difficult/impossible to collect this one depending on how fast you have been going up to this point. (Chest 1)"

Of course, that's step 8 on the wiki, and the highest you can get in 10 seconds is step 3, with an explicit time gating there.  Even when you progress that far (in more than 10 seconds), there's a good chance you're too late to get it.  There are other chests, but they are even further in.

This is not as simple as you make it out to be, and I wasted my time researching your claims.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, ekarat.1085 said:

It takes more than 10 seconds to get to the first chest.  The first explosion that opens up the path doesn't happen within 10 seconds, so it's literally impossible to progress that far in 10 seconds.

What does the wiki say?

"There is a bar on the left side leading to a platform and chest, but it can be difficult/impossible to collect this one depending on how fast you have been going up to this point. (Chest 1)"

Of course, that's step 8 on the wiki, and the highest you can get in 10 seconds is step 3, with an explicit time gating there.  Even when you progress that far (in more than 10 seconds), there's a good chance you're too late to get it.  There are other chests, but they are even further in.

Actually, it is just as easy to reach the chest as it is to go around it.  It's a matter of choose to jump on the beam versus jumping on the stone platform.

This is not as simple as you make it out to be, and I wasted my time researching your claims.

Take note that I said "is like" and not "is".  I didn't go in there with a stopwatch but you're more than welcome to since you're taking issue with this.

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

No I’m not. You’re trying to state that a random, hidden achievement is connected to a set of achievements that are directly tied to each other. 

No. i'm stating that it could be, if anet designed it just a little bit differently.

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

The set of court duty achievements are all tied to Halloween activities.  The achievement with the Prince is not and is just a one-time,  hidden achievement which could easily be overlooked. 

Indeed, but nothing stops anet from, say, placing one chest next to the prince that would give 5 points towards the achievement. Which would create that tie you insist is missing.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

No. i'm stating that it could be, if anet designed it just a little bit differently.

Indeed, but nothing stops anet from, say, placing one chest next to the prince that would give 5 points towards the achievement. Which would create that tie you insist is missing.

All of those achievements, as I have stated, are tied to Halloween activities. 

I also find it odd that you were disagreeing with my post where I stated that they weren’t the same and now you’re saying that they could be the same if the developers modified it.  

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Confused 2

35 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

All of those achievements, as I have stated, are tied to Halloween activities. 

I also find it odd that you were disagreeing with my post where I stated that they weren’t the same and now you’re saying that they could be the same if the developers modified it.  

I never said they were the same. I said they were as different as descent to madness and royal traditions are.

What you're saying is basically that there's no way Anet could ever connect them in any way, because they aren't connected now. Which is weird seeing as they've just went and connected a lot of other things in this very halloween release.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

I never said they were the same. I said they were as different as descent to madness and royal traditions are.

Which doesn’t matter as the achievement for the prince is its own one-time, hidden achievement unrelated to the current set based on doing Halloween activities. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

Which doesn’t matter as the achievement for the prince is its own one-time, hidden achievement unrelated to the current set based on doing Halloween activities. 

So? Opening chests within clocktower does not have any achievement tied to it at all, and yet it can progress the courtly duty. Doing Mad King Says part of the Ascent to Madness does not have any achievement tied to it either, but again, it was used to progress Courtly Duty. As you can see, for something to qualify for Courtly Duty, there's no requirement for that something to have any activity achievement tied to it at all.

Basically, at this point all you'd have to do is to add a chest near the prince, give that chest an opening cooldown, and make it count for the JP Courtly Duty achieve.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

38 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

So? Opening chests within clocktower does not have any achievement tied to it at all, and yet it can progress the courtly duty. Doing Mad King Says part of the Ascent to Madness does not have any achievement tied to it either, but again, it was used to progress Courtly Duty. As you can see, for something to qualify for Courtly Duty, there's no requirement for that something to have any activity achievement tied to it at all.

Basically, at this point all you'd have to do is to add a chest near the prince, give that chest an opening cooldown, and make it count for the JP Courtly Duty achieve.

You’re participating in the clock tower JP. I mean, the developers could remove the option to get progression from opening those chests and only have it given by completing the JP if that makes you feel better. 

All of the Courtly Duty achievements are themed around Halloween activities. There’s absolutely no way you can argue against this and/or deny it. The only one exception is the one Courtly Duty achievement that involves you hearing one of the dialogues and then talking to some people.  

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, DKRathalos.9625 said:

The thing with this JP is not very friendly for people with high latency as the green cloud moves quite fast.

The last time I tried this JP I had my forward key pressed 100% of the time.  Yet, I got to see another player that started with me disappear around the bend in the JP, when the the JP forces all characters to have the same default speed.  I haven't not returned to the Clocktower (nor Winter Wonderland) and won't this year.  Anet can keep their Courtly Duties and relish that the amount of story and lore content locked behind niche content just encourages a sizable number of players to avoid investing money in their game.  It is their bottom line, not mine.  Holiday events should be fun diversions, not niche farms.  Anet should stop trying to force people who can't do certain content to do that content, instead of learning that they (Anet) keep making inaccessible content, instead of interesting content.  Giving players a new reason to do something that they can't do is just a kitten move.

Edited by Random Wax Orc.7695
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Oh come on. The Halloween meta achievement is 9/10 every year for a reason, and this jumping puzzle is that reason. Making it a requirement for a bit of fun lore and a couple AP is ridiculous.

Tried it again. As soon as I loaded in and saw that wait timer bar slowly slowly slooooooowlyyyy crawling to completion, I remembered why I happily skip this one year after year. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/6/2021 at 12:48 AM, StupyEskimo.6172 said:

Honestly, I wish that there was some sort of "easier" mode just for doing the "base" achievements like the Shadow of the Mad King achievements with rewards that'll just end up on a vendor next year. But not more "difficult" ones that are supposed to be rewards for those who went through the pain of the normal version, if that makes sense, even maybe make a custom reward for those who went through the normal version, since it was made in mind or goal that only 5% of players may even complete it anyway.

All the easier one really has to be is a non-time limited instance, maybe even allow Mesmer portals, so that players who can do it can help others to do it. It pains me as someone who made a Mesmer for the ability to help others with jump puzzles to watch as people can't get the reward they want because of reasons out of their control, and not be able to help.

I did Clocktower last year, and finished it, but this year I'm having physical issues that's going to prevent me from doing it (hands locking up and being in immense pain with movement) so I've told myself I'm not doing it again this year unless the reward was really enticing (It isn't to me honestly), because it wasn't particularly fun. I love jump puzzles in MMO's, but I'm not particularly fond of this one, and the fact I can't really help others do it demotivates me even further.wha

In regards to an easy mode, it could be done with having a stationary one so people could practice the jumps or for those with motion issues.  Give a different reward for the more complex one, but have either one count towards achievements.  It would be more like Wintersday with an easier route and a more challenging route.  I still haven't made it to the top yet of the current one after three years 😑 but getting better at it.  No health or other issues, I'm just dreadful at most jumping puzzles lol.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There are now 3 separate achievements (Court Duty Where Lunatics Dare, Mad King Tower and other Court Duty)  I will not be able to get. For love nor money I can't get this JP done! I have similar issues with the chalice of tears I have just paid to get past it. I couldn't do the Winter's day one for years for the same reasons! I don't care that some 6 year old girl could do it I can't. I simply can't while challenging content is great this for me is simply not doable.

I have learned to do them through literal sweat and tears and while many of them have been improved why can't you do what you did for the winter's day puzzle? alternate paths? you could have one that goes inside the tower and one around the edges. or even different gateways to choose your path. the time element makes it very hard on my hands as they swell and or seize after doing that type of content or if I play too long. it is disheartening that you chose to take this route for this because it means I might as well throw in the towel on completing this.

I really loved how you changed the Winter's Day puzzle to allow for different challenges.  When you lock content like this you may not realize that there are people like myself who have disabilities (mine is nerve damage) who can't do this content for various reasons. I think that the more challenging content should be there for people who like it(even thrive on it) There should be alternate ways to get these things done without having to pay others to do it, or simply not do the content at all.

I would like to add that I have tried doing the jump puzzle and gave up because it's still the same issues for myself I need a reasonable amount of time and never seem to be able to get past the rising water/Fog the spinning and the fog and the other things going on are awful on the eyes and make my head swim and feel nauseated. In the past I appreciated being able to do all the content I also want it to be fun for everyone! this is a hard balance to strike.

• Confused 2

Anet seems to have listened and added a candy corn eating chest to the jumping puzzle. 

They probably didn't like players like me spending two hours joining and rejoining the Clock Tower instance to respawn the chest. I can't imagine that was helping latency. 

• Like 2

Great to see the fix. Hopefully they can be more anticipating going forward, but a fast patch is still good work.

The irony is I gave the JP my customary quick go as I do every year (and fail miserably) only to reach the top for the first time ever and lose my way and miss one of the final platforms.

Next year though…!

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Today's patch allows me to do more with the JP than ever before.  I can attempt to see how quickly I fall and die on the clock tower and then feed the chest candy corn for progress on the achievement.

Thanks Devs!

So far my record is just shy of 4 seconds.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2