wvw a dead mode...

wolverine.5164

8 hours ago, Justine.6351 said:

Uh it has everything to do with guilds fighting other guilds. That was the original focus of guild wars 1, a pvp game The story was added afterwards. The reason wvw is "dead" is the same reason spvp and all forms of pvp in gw1 are "dead". Anet stopped development on them to focus on pvers aka open world. Why? Because new people equals micro transactions. Why do you think every other week is gemstore tuesday? Why do you think gemstore skins keep getting fancier to the point of putting legendaries to shame? Wvw died around people but they still happily grinding the karma train rofl. Greatest pvp game mode ever...

I suggest you read up on the lore of the game. The major guilds of Ascalon, Kryta, and Orr warred with each other in 3 great wars, known as .... "the Guild Wars". This is generally accepted as the origin of the name of the game series.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

32 minutes ago, Zohane.7208 said:

I suggest you read up on the lore of the game. The major guilds of Ascalon, Kryta, and Orr warred with each other in 3 great wars, known as .... "the Guild Wars". This is generally accepted as the origin of the name of the game series.

Now tell us what the "generally accepted" definition of the word Guild is across the whole mmorpg genre..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, LetoII.3782 said:

Now tell us what the "generally accepted" definition of the word Guild is across the whole mmorpg genre..

I have no idea what that would be, I'm afraid.

My only point was that the name Guild Wars is not connected to the fact that guilds can fight each other in the game; the name itself stems from the lore.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Zohane.7208 said:

The game started as a PvP aka guild vs guild concept with a cheesy name, Guild Wars. The pve lore was created to make the title a little more cohesive. If it was first and foremost a pve game it would have been called something entirely different. The guild wars you are referring to literally plays almost zero effect in the story of prophecies. They had to shoehorn it in so the title made sense in some capacity.

If they could have gone back they possibly would have named the originals,

Tyria: Prophecies

Tyria: Jade Wind

Tyria: Nightfall

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 10/6/2021 at 11:28 AM, Zohane.7208 said:

Ok, ignoring all thenegative tone in your post, there's a couple of things potentially wrong with your post:

• The term "Guild Wars" has actually nothing to do with modern-day guilds fighting each other. It's based in lore, from the really old time when the major guilds were warring with each other.
  • If "nobody" cared for the dragon story, and WvW was the real bread winner, I'm absolutely sure that Anet would put their focus to it. Seeing as they don't, maybe the PvE story is what a lot of people actually cares for?

just that there is only a very tiny lore connection of Wvw as gamemode with any real lore.

Wvw is, or would be ideally, really a "guild war". practically, there's too many special snowflakes that rather run around alone randomly for more then 2 guilds (3 if small ones only) to be fitting on a border

the will of people to become better players isn't big simply, it feels sometimes. guilds who try to play serious don't have a too easy time recruiting new members, basically since i started playing in early 2019.

@Zentao.6314 nice job at making a new account as pve pepe to rant in Wvw section. if u check gw2mists, u see that wvw is still quite alive

edit: to clarify some things right there, there absolutely is lore existing towards Wvw, just ... it is thin spread and not very precise. it has its own charme, some things are also quite obvious in terms of "where does this keep idea came from".

like alpines garrison is sorta shaemore garri, the Stonemist castle as well as the spawn of alpines has similarities with divinity's reach, i think the Bay keep is either Claw Island or Lions Arch resemblance

of course, it all is some place in the mists, so the after-world of the games lore.

Edited by kamikharzeeh.8016
added text
  • Confused 3

10 hours ago, Zohane.7208 said:

The name itself stems from the lore.

I think you'll find the name itself has origin in medival europe. And that's beside its contemporary usage, which also predates the formation of Arenanet.

I'm afraid lore from a different game doesn't have much claim to the word

On 10/7/2021 at 9:02 AM, Gibson.4036 said:

That is kind of funny to imagine. WvW hardcore made up of boomers and gen Z anonymously duking it out, while gen Xers and millennials hop in as casuals in between paying our mortgages and parenting our kids. 😄

kitten Boomers living in their Towers and Keeps while we Millennials have to share 5 to a camp.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Zohane.7208 said:

I have no idea what that would be, I'm afraid.

My only point was that the name Guild Wars is not connected to the fact that guilds can fight each other in the game; the name itself stems from the lore.

The origin is that ANet called their game Guild Wars, and wrote lore to suit it. If guild combat wasn't intended to be a major theme in that game, they would have called it something else.

In the case of Guild Wars 2, there is indeed no real connection beyond being a sequel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/8/2021 at 9:28 AM, Zohane.7208 said:

Generally accepted by whom? Lol.
Were you there, 16 years ago, playing gw;prop? Because what clearly was the main idea, both accepted by players and developers, is the GvG. With all the love for gw1 lore, no1 really cared about some random "great wars", when so much balance and care was given to GvG. As someone mentioned, gw1 was made to be a pvp game, and it did really great becoming probably one of the best pvp mmo's ever created, lore came later.

God kitten pve plebs.

1 hour ago, Widmo.3186 said:

Generally accepted by whom? Lol.
Were you there, 16 years ago, playing gw;prop? Because what clearly was the main idea, both accepted by players and developers, is the GvG. With all the love for gw1 lore, no1 really cared about some random "great wars", when so much balance and care was given to GvG. As someone mentioned, gw1 was made to be a pvp game, and it did really great becoming probably one of the best pvp mmo's ever created, lore came later.

God kitten pve plebs.

NO, stop ruining my gamemode! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻