New Elite spec

Sansar.1302

2 hours ago, ShadeOfEclipse.8931 said:

Once again, it still makes no sense to talk about thematical anything when it comes to GW2 when it constantly contradicts it's own themes

Has ranger contradicted its nature favored theme so far? No. Harpoon gun is not an example of that. Look at the skills. Launching spears and using animal spirits are hardly acts of "industrialization". There is no existing precedence on this class for rifle making sense, and so far Anet hasn't overstepped that line. 

I don't think it constantly contradicts its own themes. Pistol on mesmer makes perfect sense to me, it's a bit of a  trickster class. 

However the only real reason WHY they shouldn't it because of longbow and shortbow for Ranger already fits that niche pretty closely

Definetely the most important one.

But really, what other weapons could they honestly add next if not rifles realistically? I have thought of this before and I'm not seeing very many viable options there besides that one in all fairness.

Off-hand sword makes more sense than anything. Scepter and focus are obvious options for nature magic themed ones, although they don't mesh very well with existing weapons unless they come in a pair. Mace and particularly shield can work with a warden type spec, unless that's what the hammer is gonna be. Mace is the least realistic one out of those, in my opinion.

Leaves rifle and pistol. I just don't think they fit Anet's ranger concept so far, while all the other ones do to some extent. Yeah, the classic hunter thing is common within the archtype in other media, but there is very little of it in GW in comparison besides a few names on traits and bow skills literally using the word hunter. They could obviously go complete left field at any point, but they haven't so far with ranger. As in providing a new niche, off-hand pistol could obviously do that. Rifle? Not unless you get really weird with it.

Edited by Lazze.9870
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

But the main point here about the rifle is a melee rifle is a club and that seems boring. Double melee pistols maybe but melee rifle no please.

The spec is showing a lot of plants at its feet like if the hammer would be leaving a trail of green,, I am thinking skills similar to Signet of the Wild active effects. An a lot of immob in there.

We will have to wait until the 26th to know more.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I pray for ranger to get a decent spec! It's where I put all my faith at. A Hammer on ranger feels like the closest thing that could be to a warrior hammer. I hope it is unique yet not too magical like Catalyst's hammer. I always enjoyed ranger in PvE for it's simple and straightforward gameplay, pet or not, but never liked it in competetive modes with how it was restricted to longbow a lot and how pets there are a cheesy attempt to bait off dodges. I hope this spec changes all that! Can't say much from the art only, but out of the three remaining specs it's def the one I'm most hyped for. 

10 hours ago, Lazze.9870 said:

Has ranger contradicted its nature favored theme so far? No. Harpoon gun is not an example of that. Look at the skills. Launching spears and using animal spirits are hardly acts of "industrialization". There is no existing precedence on this class for rifle making sense, and so far Anet hasn't overstepped that line. 

I don't think it constantly contradicts its own themes. Pistol on mesmer makes perfect sense to me, it's a bit of a  trickster class. 

Definetely the most important one.

Off-hand sword makes more sense than anything. Scepter and focus are obvious options for nature magic themed ones, although they don't mesh very well with existing weapons unless they come in a pair. Mace and particularly shield can work with a warden type spec, unless that's what the hammer is gonna be. Mace is the least realistic one out of those, in my opinion.

Leaves rifle and pistol. I just don't think they fit Anet's ranger concept so far, while all the other ones do to some extent. Yeah, the classic hunter thing is common within the archtype in other media, but there is very little of it in GW in comparison besides a few names on traits and bow skills literally using the word hunter. They could obviously go complete left field at any point, but they haven't so far with ranger. As in providing a new niche, off-hand pistol could obviously do that. Rifle? Not unless you get really weird with it.

Yeah but you need to realize that harpoon guns are already an industrialized weapon, along with Rangers also having explosive or trap capabilities with some builds that be viewed as... "industrialized".

I won't ever say you or anyone else are entirely wrong for saying it goes against the theme for Ranger, but I've honestly been so disillusioned by GW2 constantly adding new themes and basically turning the game into a Sci-Fi Fantasy game that I've sorta stopped caring towards "themes" in this game unless they tie to specific characters or builds per say.

However offhand sword seems like it'd be a MUCH better fit for Thief also for thematic reasons but they already have dual daggers which also serves that niche pretty closely too I imagine. Scepter and focus are pretty much just caster weapons and scepter really won't hold any room in there with Hammer coming up along with staff for Druid. And if we're talking Rangers and firearms, why would they get a pistol over a rifle when people have used rifles for hunting for generations and not pistols? So far the closest thing we have in this game to a typical "hunter" or "trapper" would have to be Thief Deadeye and that just seems completely wrong since that's more of a "sniper assassin" build if anything tbh... 😕

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ShadeOfEclipse.8931 said:

Yeah but you need to realize that harpoon guns are already an industrialized weapon, along with Rangers also having explosive or trap capabilities with some builds that be viewed as... "industrialized".

I won't ever say you or anyone else are entirely wrong for saying it goes against the theme for Ranger, but I've honestly been so disillusioned by GW2 constantly adding new themes and basically turning the game into a Sci-Fi Fantasy game that I've sorta stopped caring towards "themes" in this game unless they tie to specific characters or builds per say.

However offhand sword seems like it'd be a MUCH better fit for Thief also for thematic reasons but they already have dual daggers which also serves that niche pretty closely too I imagine. Scepter and focus are pretty much just caster weapons and scepter really won't hold any room in there with Hammer coming up along with staff for Druid. And if we're talking Rangers and firearms, why would they get a pistol over a rifle when people have used rifles for hunting for generations and not pistols? So far the closest thing we have in this game to a typical "hunter" or "trapper" would have to be Thief Deadeye and that just seems completely wrong since that's more of a "sniper assassin" build if anything tbh... 😕

A speargun is not automatically an industrialised weapon, tho.

There are two different types of spearguns: elastic and pneumatic. I agree that a pneumatic speargun would be industrialised to some extend, but the elastic speargun is functioning very alike a crossbow, which I also wouldn't consider to be an industrialised weapon.

About the explosives and trap capabilities: nothing in ranger traps really says "industrialised". Frost and fire traps are clearly magical. Viper's nest is just animals in a pit. Spike trap is just a hole with spikes to impale an enemy.

Speargun is really the only thing in ranger which can be argued as "industrialised", but even for that weapon there are unindustrialised versions with elastic spearguns.

Ranger is the most "primal" class in the game and basically completely devoid of any modern technology, this is a fact and Anet stayed true to this theme to this day. The fact that ranger seems to get another "primal" elite spec (because you can't tell me that silhouette looks like anything else but a primal forest warrior with a hammer) for end of dragons is quite telling.

Cantha is a high tech society, hence why other classes like necromancer or warrior got an elite spec with technological themes. If there would have been any time to release a rifle ranger, it would have been now with Cantha and It's technology driven setting, but they actively decided against it and I think there is a reason for that. Anet avoids technological means for ranger entirely, including the firearms.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ShadeOfEclipse.8931 said:

A forged sword is also an "industrialised" weapon. The point is that no Ranger weapon contains advanced materials that cannot be made with primitive tools or raw materials collected from Nature. They are all martial weapons and the magic is all nature themed. Traps are made with primitive materials and imbued with nature magic. Spearguns are made from primitive materials and are imbued with nature magic while not containing gunpowder etc.

If people want technology on a Medium class, Engi exists for that reason.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

A forged sword is also an "industrialised" weapon. The point is that no Ranger weapon contains advanced materials that cannot be made with primitive tools or raw materials collected from Nature. They are all martial weapons and the magic is all nature themed. Traps are made with primitive materials and imbued with nature magic. Spearguns are made from primitive materials and are imbued with nature magic while not containing gunpowder etc.

If people want technology on a Medium class, Engi exists for that reason.

I don't think that hand-forged weaponry counts as anywhere close to resembling anything industrialized.

Or would you call the Roman and Greek empires industrialized?

If you go that far, you might as well call the spear heads that have been chipped from stones from the early human predecessors as industrialized.

Edited by Fueki.4753

2 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I don't think that hand-forged weaponry counts as anywhere close to resembling anything industrialized.

If you go that far, you might as well call the spear heads that have been chipped from stones from the early human predecessors as industrialized.

I don't think the issue is related to "industry".

The issue is related to the use of weapons that rely on an energy which is foreign to the wielder and "disturb" nature through various kind of pollutions (noise, black powder fume, bullet remnant... etc.).

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 4:57 PM, Fueki.4753 said:

Yes, the Roman and Greek empires were highly industrialized. "Industrialized" just means widespread economic activity concerned with the processing of raw materials and manufacture of goods. 

My point in saying a forged sword is industrialized was just that one should not confuse "industrialized"with "advanced technology" when it comes to Ranger themes.

• Thanks 1