EoD looks so bad it's not even funny

1 hour ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I wouldn't be surprised after Istan and Sandswept Isles being incomplete.

istan and sandswepts isled are  living stories maps, with an expansion map  with the size of those in POF, you can largely cover the majority of shing jea island.

If they ain't even able to do that, it's sad anyway

Edited by radda.8920
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I am not too excited either, especially if you play solo, it sounds like to really get the most out of fishing, skiffs, and siege turtle you need friends. And I haven't really interacted with the community at all, even doing parts of raids that can be soloed by myself and fractals. The elite specializations, all of them, are terrible. Sure they have their unique flavor and some of them have neat gimmicks, but they are also being strangled by their mechanics either in trait lines or mechanics.

I've played very little of GW1, so trying to feast on nostalgia is not very effective on me. And after Icebrood Saga, I don't really trust them to tell a story either. Also Cantha looks like the devs found the saturation slider and decided that it needed to be brighter than player characters that are obsessed with glowing items.

So yes, I will continue to watch out for EoD, it is amusing watching the videos, but I myself am not going to buy it in this state. I am not really upset or angry about it, just indifferent, a quiet shrug and 'Meh, I have other things I can save my money up for.' And I can tell the hype overall is rather low when in the last live stream pretty much a third of the chat was more focused on Tengu than anything else. You know, a race that shouldn't even be in Cantha? The entire reason Dominion of Wind even existed? I feel like they added them as NPC's solely due to their popularity, lore and story be damned, and even worse likely not even really do much with them besides having them everywhere with a lot of updates. If they were going to be playable, A-Net wouldn't keep that a secret as that is much bigger than fishing, siege turtles, and skiffs combined, so it is not a tie in for that either. I mean it's nice that my favorite race is going to be prominent in the expansion, like we even have three tengus allies in the strike mission if the concept loading screen is still relevant and even appear to have a female model for them, and they made several more different models and animations for them as seen in the recent live stream. But I will be honest, it more or less puts me on edge more than it excites me as A-Net has done this Tengu dance hundreds of times before, and I rather they just say yes or no. Or at least stop with the "We are hoping the DoW opens soon so we can join you, also my model changed 5 times with dozens of new animations making us by far the most diverse npc race, Domion of Winds is still unexplorable and creating a huge hole in core Tyria, we also have no tonic like any of the other sentient non-playable races, and now we are breaking lore to be a prominent part of EoD! Wink wink!" 

In the end it's not all too bad, it's an expansion I can skip and save money towards something else and not feel pressured to buy it as there is nothing incentivizing there. Sure the devs said "But we are only scratching the surface!", however, when marketing, you need a hook at the beginning so you always start off on your best foot. A comedian isn't going to start off a show with their worst series of jokes, and then go "Wait! There is a lot more, don't leave!" This shows me that they are most proud of fishing and consider it the main selling point of EoD.

However, in this day and age, mmo players are reward driven, not story driven. You can make the prettiest world that makes people's eyes bleed from their sockets and require sunglasses just to look at the screen. But if there is no reward in doing so, it's going to dry up rather quickly. I don't need a skiff, I have a skimmer, I don't need fishing, I have plenty of good food as is, I don't need siege turtles because I have no friends. And yes, I know the usual rebuttles "But Esorono, if you don't like playing with people why play an MMORPG!?" And the answer to that is simple, I like GW2, it is fun game, and I like to be part of a zerg I just don't like to actually interact with them. Like Skiffs, Fishing, and Siege turtle are seemingly attempting to do. Running around in a giant train to kill mobs in a maze? Great! Being in a boat and working with a group of people I am forced to actually acknowledge? Please kill me.

So yeah, I am rather lukewarm about it, it's somewhat of a shame as at the beginning I was desperately trying to find something to be excited about. But then I realized I still have an absolute crap ton of content left to do, legendary armor and accessories aren't going to craft themselves and due to work I have very short play times, so skipping an expansion isn't too big of a deal. I will just look forward to the fourth expansion and hope they don't make the same mistakes as EoD.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Just like pretty much everything in life, people will have different tastes and preferences, and you can't please everyone at the same time with the same product/service. 

I'm super excited about EoD, and here's a summary as to why:

- From what they've shown so far, I think the maps are beautiful, very rich in lore, with interesting events, and I know I'll have a great time exploring the maps, revisiting them later, and of course take tons of screenshots!;

- The story seems to be interesting (to me), though I'd need to know more about canthan lore to properly comment on this;

- I like all the elite specs so far and how each offers a different playstyle to its profession. My favorite so far is the Willbender, because I've always wanted physical skills for Guardian and a bodyguard themed spec. I feel very optimistic about the remaining 3 elites;

- The siege turtle looks like the most fun mount ever and I can't wait for the last beta to finally play it;

- Skiffs also look pretty fun and I love the fact that they're so group/party oriented; 

Maybe you'll find yourself having a good time playing EoD. 

Edited by TheLadyOfTheRings.9148
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

This xpack isn't looking good. After playing the necro's new class.... it is clear the devs have lost touch with a lot of basic design.  This may be it for GW2 in all honesty.  My friends were semi curious about coming back, but when they saw the new stuff, they all had the same reaction

"what is this supposed to be?"  

And I have no answers for them.  I guess you can grind like crazy for a legendary and then... I dunno then what?  There's still no end game progression and the bad class design is just a slap in the face.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

5 hours ago, wickedkae.4980 said:

This xpack isn't looking good. After playing the necro's new class.... it is clear the devs have lost touch with a lot of basic design.  This may be it for GW2 in all honesty.  My friends were semi curious about coming back, but when they saw the new stuff, they all had the same reaction

"what is this supposed to be?"  

And I have no answers for them.  I guess you can grind like crazy for a legendary and then... I dunno then what?  There's still no end game progression and the bad class design is just a slap in the face.  

the main dev who was in charge of specializations (HOT+POF) left arena a little less than a year ago, it's not surprising. We really feel the difference.

Like lots of super talented people who were fired after POF, which explains the drop of quality in all game categories (even at the level of the scenario and the design of the maps).

Edited by radda.8920
  • Like 8
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 3

EoD looks to be awful value so far. No mention of endgame content, just some uninspired e-specs and a few open world maps. Not to mention no new PvP content. HoT and PoF were easy preorders, but this I might not even buy at all.

They started developing EoD way too late, and it seems they have a lot of juniors working on it. So they're rushing to finish, but the initial offerings will be undoubtedly meagre. Too little too late for me, especially considering that Lost Ark is coming out around the same time.

Edited by mistsim.2748
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

30 minutes ago, mistsim.2748 said:

EoD looks to be awful value so far. No mention of endgame content, just some uninspired e-specs and a few open world maps. Not to mention no new PvP content. HoT and PoF were easy preorders, but this I might not even buy at all.

What was hot and pof endgame content that made it worth it for you?

• Confused 2

9 minutes ago, radda.8920 said:

HOT: map with challenge (before the nerf) + raids

Ok, so... EoD map: we don't really know yet, except we know there's an emphasis on players understanding combat mechanics as well as the arena where they can easly test their builds against active ai opponents, which hints at the players being required to use those elements in combat. Somehow I doubt we'll go back to some core-levels OW experience. And then there's this post: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/103057-the-new-map-looks-great-but…/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-1485553 which seems to initially confirm it.

As for raids, it was already made clear that they're adding strikes+cms that are aimed at similar level of gameplay as far as I understood.

So... Curb the doomsaying imo.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3

23 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Ok, so... EoD map: we don't really know yet, except we know there's an emphasis on players understanding combat mechanics as well as the arena where they can easly test their builds against active ai opponents, which hints at the players being required to use those elements in combat. Somehow I doubt we'll go back to some core-levels OW experience. And then there's this post: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/103057-the-new-map-looks-great-but…/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-1485553 which seems to initially confirm it.

As for raids, it was already made clear that they're adding strikes+cms that are aimed at similar level of gameplay as far as I understood.

So... Curb the doomsaying imo.

I would like to believe you but this community complains as soon as it is necessary to spam more than 3 keys  on the keyboard so I do not believe it for a single second.

And for the strikes, I only want to see but for the moment if I refer to the existing strikes,the difficulty is ridiculous. No personally I really hope to see raids with  kanaxai and urgoz in the coming months but i am dreaming.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Just wait and see. No need to get your knickers in a twist just yet.

I think it's great that new players will finally get an actual tutorial area in EoD.

Yes, the grass in particular is a bright toxic green, yes the elite specs so far aren't a selling point (for me),...

But still, better save our final judgment for later. Perhaps some of those points will get reviewed and adjusted before February.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, radda.8920 said:

I would like to believe you but this community complains as soon as it is necessary to spam more than 3 keys  on the keyboard so I do not believe it for a single second.

And for the strikes, I only want to see but for the moment if I refer to the existing strikes,the difficulty is ridiculous. No personally I really hope to see raids with  kanaxai and urgoz in the coming months but i am dreaming.

I don't see why I should judge the content by complaints on the forum, I'll try judging it according to what we know and for now what I know is what I wrote above, so I don't see the reason to keep complaining "just in case". 😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

19 minutes ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

I will be in  Cantha on Day 1.

Me, too!

I'm not all that interested in skiffs, fishing, any new e-spec so far (let's hope Shadowmancer, Golemgineer and Bunnythumper are better than the rest but not holding my breath), nor Shing-Jea Wonkaland, but I'll be happy to play the specs I already have and enjoy through new stories and challenges.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

What was hot and pof endgame content that made it worth it for you?

Not end game content- but selling points that made these expansions must-have's?

HoT introduced a new game mechanic nobody saw coming (gliding) along with map designs that would implement the new mechanic in a meaningful way (far more verticality in map designs, game-y systems that made gliding fun to use and rewarding to level up).

Excellent selling point. 

PoF did something similar to the game, except this time with the best mount system in place of any mmo out today. Each mount fulfilling very specific and meaningful functions, as the maps are designed around the game-y mechanics of the mount abilities. The world and the mounts work together in making everything feel purposeful and rewarding for the player to unlock and explore, and even to go back and revisit the original maps in a completely new and fun way.

Another excellent selling point.

These dont even include the quintessentials of what you'd expect from an expansion (new class, new elite specs, new legendaries), and already have selling power. 

Now let me ask you, what's EoD's selling power? What new systems are they introducing in any meaningful way?

Fishing? Amazing. /s

Boats? We have a far more interesting means of traversing over and under water.

A multi-seat turtle? A welcome addition to the mount roster, but it's just a mount. Could've added that to the game at any time post-PoF, but since EoD would evidently be so dry and lacking without it, might as well save what other games would consider a minor update for our ambitious 3rd expansion and make it feel less pointless of happening at all

Edited by Noktus.8506
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

11 hours ago, radda.8920 said:

HOT: map with challenge (before the nerf) + raids

So, you can;t really name anything for PoF, and for HoT you named:

1. something they had to change, due to mostly negative player reaction

2. something that was so unpopular that it got canned.

Yeah, somehow i'm not worried if those types of content aren't what Anet will be aiming for.

Edit: @Noktus.8506's comment about seemingly lack of definite "selling point" however does seem like a fair point. The expansion does seem like "more of the same". Which, by itself, is not a bad approach (i mean, people that do like the game will not want it to change too much, they just want more of the experience they already have), but it requires that "more of the same" to be of a really good quality to pull off.

We shall see if Anet will manage to do that.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

35 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

So, you can;t really name anything for PoF, and for HoT you named:

1. something they had to change, due to mostly negative player reaction

2. something that was so unpopular that it got canned.

Yeah, somehow i'm not worried if those types of content aren't what Anet will be aiming for.

Edit: @Noktus.8506's comment about seemingly lack of definite "selling point" however does seem like a fair point. The expansion does seem like "more of the same". Which, by itself, is not a bad approach (i mean, people that do like the game will not want it to change too much, they just want more of the experience they already have), but it requires that "more of the same" to be of a really good quality to pull off.

We shall see if Anet will manage to do that.

Yes POF was not really good, maps were visually fantastic and the scenario was quite nice but other than that ... absolutely no challenge and no meta.

HOT was well above with a quality challenge. Yes, the players complained because they got used to playing alongside others players and not WITH them .Arena also got them used to spam 1 on monsters that do not necessarily move so it was a shock for this community to use others keys on the keyboard. But it remained fascinating to explore.

And yes I assume, I am totally a fan of raids and I am desperate that this community does not make the effort to be involved in this content because it is so worth it. it's almost the only content that requires a little use of your brain on this game. It feels good.

So EOD for the moment, it seems to be POF without the beauty of the maps and without the originality of the Mounts ...instead we can fish a carp and arena transformed one of the most beautiful maps of gw1 into a giant pixelated fluorescent salad.

Even the specializations are much less original and interesting than on the 2 previous extensions. For now, it's hard to be positive.

i just hope they don't slaughter kaineng city, the jade sea and echovald. It's the only thing that can give me a little pleasure now...:(

Edited by radda.8920
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, radda.8920 said:

Yes POF was not really good, maps were visually fantastic and the scenario was quite nice but other than that ... absolutely no challenge and no meta.

I'd say that the latter was a far bigger issue than the former. It's not the challenge that makes people go back to HoT. It's the metas that are both well-rewarding, but also relatively easy to clear even with an underpopulated map.

PoF significantly lacked those. Its metas are either annoying or unrewarding (or both) for the most part. Even the Choya Pinata is something most people prefer to afk through and participate only in the final part, because only that final part has any reward attached to it (and that reward is also being heavily lackluster, with the only interesting point being the infusion most of the paricipants will never see dropping anyway).

Notice, btw, how the Istan map meta chain (Palawaloot+GH), even after multiple reward nerfs it got over the years, and with it not being really hard at all, is still more popular than all PoF metas together.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 10/13/2021 at 10:23 PM, radda.8920 said:

the main dev who was in charge of specializations (HOT+POF) left arena a little less than a year ago, it's not surprising. We really feel the difference.

Like lots of super talented people who were fired after POF, which explains the drop of quality in all game categories (even at the level of the scenario and the design of the maps).

Exaaaaactly. 

Please watch PoFs presentations or even hots discussions and compare them to the EoD presentation...no disrespect is meant to anyone on a personal level but the EoD staff look waay too chill about being uncreative and copy pasting like it's so funny and cute. The minute I saw harbinger thief jump...I got iffy..then when I saw bladesworns artwork and tried out catalyst I fumed inside..not my GW2  please oh Lord.

As crewthief already elaborated quite well all these fancy shmancy class names with no rhyme or reason was to me unbearably tacky and immediately made me remember ow yeah that mass lay off was no joke.

Honestly I hate to say this but I would not be sad if EoD does not succeed because from the very beggining this game felt very amazing and for these people to fire staff that created this awesome original game for whatever number crunching they have in mind revolted me. It would be the artist winning over these mongrels who come in and tell you what you need to do and then milk your hard work through the reputation of the brand and not the quality of the work. 

People who defend everything..it's cool people did that when WoW's quality was deteriorating as well for the exact same reason the creative people left (blue blood elves was my ow hell no) now everyone memes about being a refuge...it is what it is 😞.

Sad I usually start visiting a game's forum when I feel the game is dying and I need hope. -____- embrace despair.

Edited by aetemes.2603
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 7

• 1 month later...

Yeah, agree with OP, sadly. Hopefully there is more to EoD than has been revealed so far and the e-specs will be massively improved upon by release, or very soon after. I can’t help but feel like this expansion has been rushed as a means of making money to work on other core improvements to the game, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but feeling a little duped right now.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, Monarc.9726 said:

Yeah, agree with OP, sadly. Hopefully there is more to EoD than has been revealed so far and the e-specs will be massively improved upon by release, or very soon after. I can’t help but feel like this expansion has been rushed as a means of making money to work on other core improvements to the game, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but feeling a little duped right now.

What do you think of the changes posted about each Elite Specialization? They certainly seemed to pay attention to the feedback. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I love what I've seen so far.

GW1 was always limited by its engine. No matter how good the concept art, the engine was always holding them back from fully realizing their vision of Cantha. Areas such as the Echovald Forest and the Jade Sea looked alright in GW1, but didn't fully reach the intended vision. Those same areas look much better in GW2, from what I've seen so far. Echovald Forest now actually looks like a massive forest. We can actually see the horizon in the Jade Sea area. And I suspect the Harvest Temple will resemble the original concept art far more closely than what we got in GW1 (the original concept art for it was way better than what we got). There is an astounding care for detail in the few previews we've gotten. The environment artists really outdid themselves.

And yes, things will also be different from GW1. I'm not stuck in the past, and Factions is still playable anytime I want to go back to it. There will be lots of new ideas, which I find exciting. The Siege Turtle mount looks like a ton of fun. And it sounds like they may be taking meta events and heart quests into an exciting new direction. I'm eager to see what they've got in store for us.

Truth be told, Factions was always my least favourite Guild Wars 'expansion'. I liked the setting, but I did not like the execution. It always felt a bit rushed and small to me. I'm looking forward to seeing it reimagined in GW2.

Honestly darlings, why all the negativity?

Edited by Mad Queen Malafide.7512
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2