The new map looks great but…

I wish it is possible to adjust the difficulty...so everyone can choose their own setting. 

Personaly i wish the game would get harder the longer someone plays.....i think gw2 is the only game i play that gets easier by time instead of more difficult. (Except HoT maybe, but even HoT is too easy on my main after all these years).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

The player base is mostly casual. How would making the game more challenging be a good idea?

Casual doesn't mean you suck at the game, it means you play it from time to time, so pandering does not feel OK. If the content is like a rollercoaster and a movie that can be passed with pressing auto attack, the game is SOLVED and there isn't much reason to run it again. I think they hit it dead center with current HoT maps, the enemies there force you to think and change your build and the group content is not challenging people with DPS but with coordination.

For example Drizzle wood looks awesome, but the gameplay really drags down and becomes stale since it is 1 to 2 hours per full run and it can't have failure state since it is 2 hours, it turns into a chore instead of experience. 

• Like 8
  • Confused 3

People are still complaining about HoT current difficulty and the PoF difficulty. Making EoD harder will just raise more complaints.

Personally I don't mind it either way, HoT launch difficulty was bearable so I'd probably be fine with current one as well, if they make it in the same style.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Crono.4197 said:

People are still complaining about HoT current difficulty and the PoF difficulty. Making EoD harder will just raise more complaints.

Personally I don't mind it either way, HoT launch difficulty was bearable so I'd probably be fine with current one as well, if they make it in the same style.

Made me wonder what kind of game they've played before if they're still complaining about HoT

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

I guess you missed the many points during the stream where the devs joked that '1-2 players couldn't do this' and popped invincibility when encountering any sort of combat?

As a starter map for the expansion, I imagine Shing Jea will only be challenging enough to serve its purpose - introducing you to Cantha. Anything more complex than that should be reserved for meta events, instanced content, and encounters further along in the story. Remember: They're marketing to new players who will skip straight to the third expansion (for better or worse).

We've seen that there will be combat in the starting area, but I actually hope there are enough peaceful spots for people to enjoy the area - this was a major failing in the PoF maps. If Shing Jea is all aggro all the time, no one's going to want to hang out there.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Krzysztof.5973 said:

An opt-in hard mode in GW1 style would be nice 🙂

6 hours ago, moony.5780 said:

I wish it is possible to adjust the difficulty...so everyone can choose their own setting. 

How would that be possible?  GW1 was instanced content.  GW2 is open world. 

• Like 10
  • Confused 3

16 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

It's theoretically, possible if Arenanet chose to open two version of each map, one of normal difficulty and a hard one.

But that might be too much strain on the servers.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

It's theoretically, possible if Arenanet chose to open two version of each map, one of normal difficulty and a hard one.

But that might be too much strain on the servers.

Doubt it'll add more strain on servers than other maps..What will happen, is likely the hardcore map will end up empty. 

If the difficulty finding raid groups is any sign.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Taygus.4571 said:

Doubt it'll add more strain on servers than other maps..What will happen, is likely the hardcore map will end up empty. 

If the difficulty finding raid groups is any sign.

But sometimes it really feels like the servers already are at their limits.

Putting another copy of each map (the hard mode maps) into the game might be too much.

And that's independent of player population per map (which I suspect would still be at least one or two players per hard mode map).

• Confused 4

43 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

But sometimes it really feels like the servers already are at their limits.

Putting another copy of each map (the hard mode maps) into the game might be too much.

And that's independent of player population per map (which I suspect would still be at least one or two players per hard mode map).

What good is having "at least 2 players" in an entire map lol.. there's gonna be group events..no player had that much dps that they can solo major group events

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

GW2 is also instanced. Maps are big and you have the feeling of seamless world but you still need a loading screen to get from AB to TD for example. And how would that be possible? Literally put an NPC on a map that puts you on exactly same map but the difficulty of mobs is different. That's how some story missions work, you get put on tyria map but you are alone or with friends for the purpose of doing story mission. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

29 minutes ago, Taygus.4571 said:

What good is having "at least 2 players" in an entire map lol.. there's gonna be group events..no player had that much dps that they can solo major group events

It's not about it being good, but about how the hardware may cause issues the availability of hard mode map copies.

Edited by Fueki.4753

2 hours ago, Krzysztof.5973 said:

GW2 is also instanced. Maps are big and you have the feeling of seamless world but you still need a loading screen to get from AB to TD for example. And how would that be possible? Literally put an NPC on a map that puts you on exactly same map but the difficulty of mobs is different. That's how some story missions work, you get put on tyria map but you are alone or with friends for the purpose of doing story mission. 

But how would players get on to maps with varying degrees of difficulty without significantly separating the players on those maps?  If they aren't populated enough, would maps just close and shunt players off onto open maps with difficulty levels that they didn't select?  Having so many different instances of maps, when you consider the current mega-server plan, seems like a herculean task?

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

But how would players get on to maps with varying degrees of difficulty without significantly separating the players on those maps?  If they aren't populated enough, would maps just close and shunt players off onto open maps with difficulty levels that they didn't select?  Having so many different instances of maps, when you consider the current mega-server plan, seems like a herculean task?

There is so many different ways to implement this... Could be an entire map dedicated to hard mode... could be a separate instance through an NPC, could be a layer like there is Verdant Brink for the bottom and the canopies or maybe a debuff that gets applied to everyone in certain area or even changing on hourly basis?
Saying that there wouldn't be enough players per this type of map is just doomtelling. Would you be concerned with player population if they decided to release 4 maps instead of 3? There are multiple instances of the same AB/TD/LA etc running every single day constantly. Are we afraid that Halloween's Labyrinth is not being populated enough? It would literally be just another map of the lab with people farming in it. 

Edited by Krzysztof.5973
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

I guess you missed the many points during the stream where the devs joked that '1-2 players couldn't do this' and popped invincibility when encountering any sort of combat?

As a starter map for the expansion, I imagine Shing Jea will only be challenging enough to serve its purpose - introducing you to Cantha. Anything more complex than that should be reserved for meta events, instanced content, and encounters further along in the story. Remember: They're marketing to new players who will skip straight to the third expansion (for better or worse).

We've seen that there will be combat in the starting area, but I actually hope there are enough peaceful spots for people to enjoy the area - this was a major failing in the PoF maps. If Shing Jea is all aggro all the time, no one's going to want to hang out there.

Ooof ... while I'm glad I didn't watch the streams (I've not appreciated any of their stuff for End of Dragons), this is definitely not giving me a positive outlook on the new expansion.

I'll be honest:  I play mostly solo and only engage in group content when others are actively participating as well, so even if it's a joke in extremely poor taste, another Heart of Thorns and an expansion I play almost nothing of is not in the least what I want.

And yes, @AgentMoore.9453, I do hope that we won't have another Amnoon.  Shing Jea in GW1 was a very peaceful locale (nevermind being a hub instance), so having only a small corner of the map where players can relax, freely explore, or just catch their breath would be a tremendous let-down.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

14 hours ago, artcreator.4859 said:

PLEASE add difficulty.  Make the group fights actually challenging.     Make open world GW2 a great game and not just a great movie

You obviously missed the point of the Shing Jea map: It's the tutorial area many have asked for for years, something that should have been there from the beginning.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Krzysztof.5973 said:

There is so many different ways to implement this... Could be an entire map dedicated to hard mode... could be a separate instance through an NPC, could be a layer like there is Verdant Brink for the bottom and the canopies or maybe a debuff that gets applied to everyone in certain area or even changing on hourly basis?
Saying that there wouldn't be enough players per this type of map is just doomtelling. Would you be concerned with player population if they decided to release 4 maps instead of 3? There are multiple instances of the same AB/TD/LA etc running every single day constantly. Are we afraid that Halloween's Labyrinth is not being populated enough? It would literally be just another map of the lab with people farming in it. 

Multiple instances of AB/TD etc, sure, but when you start to shard instances based on difficulty?  Currently, the mega server has them all at the same level.   Halloween's Labyrinth is not a valid comparison as it is populated due to scarcity.  How many would be running it, at varying levels of difficulty, in April?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Multiple instances of AB/TD etc, sure, but when you start to shard instances based on difficulty?  Currently, the mega server has them all at the same level.   Halloween's Labyrinth is not a valid comparison as it is populated due to scarcity.  How many would be running it, at varying levels of difficulty, in April?

They would exist side by side. Think of anet simply adding 2 maps Zauric Basin and Dauric Basin that share everything but the difficulty of mobs / type of mobs etc. And the incentive to participate on those maps would be exactly the same as going back to Dragonfall for example. Once you've finished the story, you join for farming , metas or whatever you wish. Which maps get higher player traffic? Those that are more profitable. If done right, It might end up being more popular than one-time throw away maps made for story. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4