I pray for a "no pets" elite spec because......

Arheundel.6451

I love ranger pet and even more playing around them but...good lord...every few months there is a new nerf trend about some pet that unfortunately managed to do dmg on a player, it has been for years now, this community cries its eyes out if they get killed by a ranger. God forbid you kill somebody in wvw/pvp with a ranger....soon enough later there will be some passive aggressive nerf threads on reddit, followed by some more on the forum. It is a good thing that these devs keep track of class gameplay ratio and they see how this class doesn't succeed above a certain level ( average player), after which it becomes rather...."ok", it doesn't get abused like holosmith/scrappers/firebrand/necros of all sort/thieves and ofc revenants of all shapes and forms.

The truth is this class at equal skill level, gets outsustained and outdamaged by holosmith/scrapper/revenants and even thieves with the right build, guardians with the right set up (like dh) are a pain to deal with, given the near lack of unblockable on this class(outside the meme oneshot that HunT signet is useless)

Despite all of this, I still enjoy this class...it's more than decent, not the top dog class but not even the worst out there.....now back to the main topic: the elite, we now are guaranted it's a hammer elite (juggernaut here we go) so:

1) Hope it is an AoE based spec, PBAoE hopefu;lly for wvw zerg fights and small group contribution

2) I pray it is a brawler spec like scrapper/holosmith , we have enough duellist specs but..yeah....I won't hold my breath about this one

3) No pets based..just because...I can't deal with another 4-5 years of "whhaaaa the XX pet bited me and it hurts!"

Those are my main hopes, I can deal with kitten traits and utilities as those can be changed...it's the concept that must be solid, my last hope for EoD..the rest I am not interested

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Both of the ranger especs try to push the pet away.

We need one that either keeps the pet at regular full power or buffs it somehow, since anything that currently buffs the pet is better off on a merged soulbeast making it extremely hard to justify any real investment into pets outside of soulbeasts who barely even have a pet.

Edited by magic fly.2041
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I would love see elite spec with the single strong and more interactive pet as well. Or special interaction with animal mounts that would be cool.

Whatever it will be it would be nice if AN could at least fix the current pet system (pet stats, boon effects on pets, pet team member priority in the party, etc.).

• Like 2

On one hand I would like an actual pet spec to mess around with in PvE and really miss the old Iboga attack and would like a trait or something like that. On the other hand Anet doesn't know what to do with pets, PvP players will whine about any pet spec till its nerfed and by design they can't be useful in WvW.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, MatyrGustav.6210 said:

Soulbeast is your answer. 

Personally I was hoping for a 1 pet Elite Spec. Instead of 2 Juvenile pets you get 1 Adult pet that's stronger lol

Other players already cry in the forums when you get a pet which outshine a bit ( smokescale comes to mind for example). 

Do not think if we get an "adult" pet with better damage it will not be nerfed to the oblivion. 

The only way i could see pets working out is if they go full support and become invulnerable to damage or something similar. So basically petless ranger. 

Edited by anduriell.6280
  • Like 1

One way or another there will be a pet on the next e-spec because of core traits, skills and down skill.

What the next e-spec need is to lose access to the common pet list and, instead, be tied to 4-5 e-spec specific pets that does very little damage but have this buff: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Determined

NB.: Despite this buff these pets still need to be suceptible to hard CC (I don't remember if the buff stop them or not as it is).

I wouldn't mind since the game doesn't let me use the pet I want to like GW1 does so I don't have as much love for them as I did there. In fact I stopped playing my Ranger when they nerfed Iboga and then Soulbeast swapping cuz it pretty much killed off two pets I liked and now everyone just uses ugly pigs.

If we could train/pick what skills/stats we wanted them to have then maybe they'd be more fun. But such things are beyond GW2 and majority of them just aren't used.

Edited by Doggie.3184

4 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

One way or another there will be a pet on the next e-spec because of core traits, skills and down skill.

Core traits and skills are already solved by doing it the soulbeast way, which they can do for any petless kind of ranger, adjusting them to match the power level they want the spec to be. Soulbeast will still have the distinction of merging in and out and getting the archtype specific stats, skills as well as the pet family skills.

There is one trait that needs to be changed, Empathic Bond, and that trait should have been changed a long time ago anyway. It's worthless unless stacked with Natural Stride, Melandru runes and food, and never used in PvE either.

Down skills can easily have the pet be summoned. Especially if there is some kind of "aspect" mechanic that is based on archtypes, which means you choose the pets anyway even if they're not involved in the mechanic. Or, they find some clever alternative.

Edited by Lazze.9870

GW2 PVPers have such a weirdly fragile ego concerning "AI". I can't think of another competitive game I've played where people complain so much about other classes having AI assistance through class design. Ranger was conceptualized as a pet class. Our pet mechanic should be every bit as impactful and useful as any other class' mechanic. Anything less just isn't fair game balance.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

No worries people! The new Ranger e-spec is The Shapeshifter!

The Shapeshifter could transform into the pet of choice!

Its the best of both worlds as you can transfer into the pets itself.

I wanna be a Jacaranda. Hiding in plain sight as i will be a tree and no one would noticed.

Of course it would automatically switched my nameplate to Jacaranda

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jabronee.9465 said:

No worries people! The new Ranger e-spec is The Shapeshifter!

The Shapeshifter could transform into the pet of choice!

Its the best of both worlds as you can transfer into the pets itself.

I wanna be a Jacaranda. Hiding in plain sight as i will be a tree and no one would noticed.

Of course it would automatically switched my nameplate to Jacaranda

ahaha what about the ranger transforms into the same pet as it is equipped (with name plate and all) and then the enemy players have to play guessing game... The  pvp cries... the cries in the forum... i am seeing them already.... 

1 hour ago, anduriell.6280 said:

ahaha what about the ranger transforms into the same pet as it is equipped (with name plate and all) and then the enemy players have to play guessing game... The  pvp cries... the cries in the forum... i am seeing them already.... 

Yeah kinda similar to Mesmer clones. But unlike Mesmers, Shapeshifters are more related to animals or in this case pets. Wvw scenarios. If i see a bunch of wolves and a boar is in that group there must be something fishy there. Or if i see a bunch of boars and i blindly aoe i'll get aggroed by pigs for no apparent reason as there was no Shapeshifters there. If i see a large group animals doing their own thing in the area that means thats the enermy Blob!

Anet could go ham on the Elite Skill. Doppleganger - The Ranger shapeshift into the target itself copying all the armor weapon and build for 10 secs. If the commander is the target then there will be 2 commanders in the enermy team as it copies the tag too. If more than one Shapeshifter target the commander then there will me more than 2 commanders on the enermy team for 10 secs.

Edited by Jabronee.9465
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jabronee.9465 said:

Yeah kinda similar to Mesmer clones. But unlike Mesmers, Shapeshifters are more related to animals or in this case pets. Wvw scenarios. If i see a bunch of wolves and a boar is in that group there must be something fishy there. Or if i see a bunch of boars and i blindly aoe i'll get aggroed by pigs for no apparent reason as there was no Shapeshifters there. If i see a large group animals doing their own thing in the area that means thats the enermy Blob!

Anet could go ham on the Elite Skill. Doppleganger - The Ranger shapeshift into the target itself copying all the armor weapon and build for 10 secs. If the commander is the target then there will be 2 commanders in the enermy team as it copies the tag too. If more than one Shapeshifter target the commander then there will me more than 2 commanders on the enermy team for 10 secs.

oh you are being serious.... No that would not happen or even work. How would you manage? do your shapeshifter change teams too? If so would you be damaged by enemy AoEs or your old team AoEs? 

Copying or Stealing the skills may work, but that's more a thief or mesmer theme than a ranger one. 

Shapeshift the ranger to look like the pet would be funny to watch and maybe to play with for a bit but it would not work for actual competitive. How would you manage the pet skills? Wouldn't it feel underpowered against a propper weapon skills? Would utility skills still be available? If so would there be any animations for those skills? If not how would it interact with the enemy players when the pet-ranger cast entangle or the heal with no animation? 

You know what? It could be a tonic  transformation . Not a combat one but a normal which takes you out as soon as you enter in combat. That would allow all the classes to look like a horde of pets running wild thru the Eternal Battlegrounds and you would get your wish. 

On 10/12/2021 at 2:22 AM, Ehecatl.9172 said:

GW2 PVPers have such a weirdly fragile ego concerning "AI". I can't think of another competitive game I've played where people complain so much about other classes having AI assistance through class design. Ranger was conceptualized as a pet class. Our pet mechanic should be every bit as impactful and useful as any other class' mechanic. Anything less just isn't fair game balance.

Welcome to GW2....fair balance is not really up their alley, the sole reason I ask for no pet elite is because new pets always end up being murdered by nerfs as whiners do what whiners will do...whine