Buying Mystic Coins (MC) from player auctions are legal?

It is because you don't own anything in this game, NcSoft does and so it's against the ToS to make real life money with their property. So the people selling items for real money are basically selling digital goods that they don't own and you'd be buying the online equivalent of stolen goods.

Here's the ToS:  https://us.ncsoft.com/en-us/legal/ncsoft/content-terms-of-use

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Like 1

Yes, for many reasons, some of which are stated above but another is that it bypasses the Trading Post. Anything that happens outside the in-game market is a grey market, and you risk getting scammed. Badly.

If you want to buy MCs with real money, convert gems to gold and then buy them that way.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

Yes, for many reasons, some of which are stated above but another is that it bypasses the Trading Post. Anything that happens outside the in-game market is a grey market, and you risk getting scammed. Badly.

If you want to buy MCs with real money, convert gems to gold and then buy them that way.

It's true that trading items off the Trading Post risks getting scammed, but you won't get banned for that.

Anet added the ability to attach items to mail because they knew players would sometimes want to give items to each other rather than selling them and it's completely legal to do that. You can even exchange them for gold that way, although as you said you risk being scammed. But you aren't breaking any rules by doing it (unless you're the one scamming someone of course) it's just riskier than using the Trading Post. But if you trust the person you can do it.

• Like 2

I never stopped to think until seeing this post how Mystic Coins can be used to basically buy and sell gold illegally. Since MC don't have a vendor value the seller won't be hitting a weekly cap on sending a form of  gold to other players.  If they haven't, I sure hope Anet has a way to track this nonsense and perma ban anyone involved.

I always wondered why gw2 dont have a cod option in the mail system like WoW does. Now I know they dont want players to trade that way. The nice thing about a cod mail option is you cant get scammed, when you open the mail it says pay xxx amount for item if you dont it goes back to the sender.

Just now, Zuldari.3940 said:

I always wondered why gw2 dont have a cod option in the mail system like WoW does. Now I know they dont want players to trade that way. The nice thing about a cod mail option is you cant get scammed, when you open the mail it says pay xxx amount for item if you dont it goes back to the sender.

It makes it harder to scam people but it's not completely fool proof. Common scams with a C.O.D. system include using items with a similar icon but much lower value, lower level versions of the same item (for weapons and armour) or lower amounts of an item when you agreed to send multiple (like crafting materials), or adding digits to the price.

It's all things the buyer can notice if they're paying attention but when they've just been talking about what they want to buy and for how much they can often be lulled into a false sense of security, so if it looks right at first glance they won't check too carefully before accepting.

There's more elaborate scams too, including ways to scam sellers instead of buyers like tricking them into selling something valuable for far less than it's worth, but thoe often need a 2nd person to run the scam.

6 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

It makes it harder to scam people but it's not completely fool proof. Common scams with a C.O.D. system include using items with a similar icon but much lower value, lower level versions of the same item (for weapons and armour) or lower amounts of an item when you agreed to send multiple (like crafting materials), or adding digits to the price.

It's all things the buyer can notice if they're paying attention but when they've just been talking about what they want to buy and for how much they can often be lulled into a false sense of security, so if it looks right at first glance they won't check too carefully before accepting.

There's more elaborate scams too, including ways to scam sellers instead of buyers like tricking them into selling something valuable for far less than it's worth, but thoe often need a 2nd person to run the scam.

I never had that problem because I always look over what was sent to me before accepting /shrug