i want to address the tangu advertising by arenet

arenet for the love of god it is ok not to add tangu as playble race ! but it is not ok to give trailers of the expac that seems or ignatie the imagination of tangu as playbale race rather then just an npc 

that trailer you gave us of the shing ji , if tangu is not playble race it is like false advertsing .... 

i dont like it when you show something that alot of people ask for but no really 

• Like 3
  • Haha 11
  • Confused 21

Literally nothing in the Shing Jea video hinted at Tengu becoming playable.

All the Tengu in the video had the same one model we have seen since launch.

All it hints at is that these Tengu somehow escaped the exile of non-human races from Cantha.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 6

First of all, I love that you call them Tangu; that's hilarious to me for reasons I don't fully (and may never) understand.

Secondly, yeah, you're kinda right. Jangling the Tengu keys in people's faces when you know there's a hooting part of your playerbase that has been craving Tengu (lore, race, maps, etc.) almost since launch is more than a little rude. You can fall back on 'well they aren't promising anything by showing Tengu', but it's fairly obvious they're aware of the bird hype and are trying to use it to sell the expansion by banking on those expectations.

To be clear, not a huge Tengu fan myself. I don't care if they get added in any capacity, and frankly I'm a bit confused that we're seeing any native Tengu in a nation that went out of their way to commit genocide against non-Human races. That said, if they keep showing Tengu everywhere and then they end up just being NPCs or a tonic, people will be understandably let down or straight up angry that they were overhyped for (seemingly) nothing. ArenaNet needs to be ready for that kind of response if this is the way they're going to market.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

26 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

To be clear, not a huge Tengu fan myself. I don't care if they get added in any capacity, and frankly I'm a bit confused that we're seeing any native Tengu in a nation that went out of their way to commit genocide against non-Human races. That said, if they keep showing Tengu everywhere and then they end up just being NPCs or a tonic, people will be understandably let down or straight up angry that they were overhyped for (seemingly) nothing. ArenaNet needs to be ready for that kind of response if this is the way they're going to market.

I think the best way to give Tengu to players would be via a combat transformation tonic (or maybe a whole set with multiple recolours). There is only one model, so that shouldn't take away too many resources from other parts of the game.

Due to only one model existing, we can't even know if the Tengu shown are native to Cantha, or descendants of exiled Canthan Tengu that came along with the commander. They may simply be Tengu from tribes that are native to Kryta, Maguuma or the Shiver Peaks that came with the commander.

Edited by Fueki.4753

I would be totally fine with more Tengu lore. Just adding a new race in general is a waste of resources imho(for further explanation feel free to browse the merged thread or the forum's search function).

And should we get some more lore, it would not be "false advertising" to show them in trailers and whatnot. Even if there isn't much about the Tengu in EoD, I doubt anything would qualify as "false advertising".

Also be weary of "large portion of the playerbase wants what I want" argument. So hard to back it up due to a lack of sources just to start with.

Also also, the Tangu thing makes me think you might not be all that serious about this thread. Have a (you) "4/10 made me reply to a thinly veiled Tengu thred" just in case...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

When I saw them my first thought was that I wish I could create one. Yes, an expac could be a platform to add a race. No, there is no advertising of a new playable race in that video. For it to even qualify as false advertising, they would have to promise it then not deliver at release. So false advertising cannot be assessed until February anyway.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lokh.2695 said:

Just adding a new race in general is a waste of resources imho

"Ok so what's happening here is that uuuh, in... in this part we're actually painting and we have like a mini little puzzle game where it's.. you know... Chose the right... Chose the right icon" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

13 minutes ago, The Fear.3865 said:

"Ok so what's happening here is that uuuh, in... in this part we're actually painting and we have like a mini little puzzle game where it's.. you know... Chose the right... Chose the right icon" 

Its a reuse of the Aquatic ruins swallow whole boss mechanic and the furnace event in grothmar valley.

So nothing new to see here.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

They showed Tengu for The Icebrood Saga, as well. Was there outrage?

Yes, and it wasn't because Tengu happened to be there, it was because they kept giving Tengu solo pan shots and coy teases (as they've been doing with the EoD promotional material). They keep highlighting Tengu like they're going to be special in a significant way. They weren't special in IBS and if they aren't special in EoD, it's going to make the hype look like a gotcha. If Tengu aren't going to be anything special, they need to market that accordingly or else they're being misleading (which isn't false advertising, but it doesn't feel great either).

It's sort of like when you see a movie trailer and they keep showing some awesome character with the implication that they're significant, but then you go see the movie and it's some minion that dies within the first three minutes or otherwise doesn't feature much (or at all) for the rest of the story.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Yes, and it wasn't because Tengu happened to be there, it was because they kept giving Tengu solo pan shots and coy teases (as they've been doing with the EoD promotional material). They keep highlighting Tengu like they're going to be special in a significant way. They weren't special in IBS and if they aren't special in EoD, it's going to make the hype look like a gotcha. If Tengu aren't going to be anything special, they need to market that accordingly or else they're being misleading (which isn't false advertising, but it doesn't feel great either).

It's sort of like when you see a movie trailer and they keep showing some awesome character with the implication that they're significant, but then you go see the movie and it's some minion that dies within the first three minutes or otherwise doesn't feature much (or at all) for the rest of the story.

Until there's some kind of "NEW PLAYABLE RACE" announcement, you're hyping yourself by your own accord, just to try and use it as some sort of complaint-leverage when they won't be playable. Clearly, nobody promised anything like that, you just see what you want to see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

you just see what you want to see.

Evidently you do or you'd have read the part where I said I don't care about Tengu and won't care if they're made a race or not. I don't have to be invested in something to consider a marketing tactic to be misleading.

The way they are presenting Tengu is, in my view, knowingly inciting hype for something that most likely will not be part of EoD. You can feel differently about it and say so without implying anything further.

23 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Only playable races can be shown?

That's not what I said. Showing Tengu (or any species) is fine, but the way you do it matters. I believe presentation is important when marketing, and if you're presenting something as if it's going to be a major feature by giving it multiple focus shots in a trailer and then it turns out to be nothing of consequence, that's not great.

I don't know about you, but if a trailer kept showing me excellent bread and the community had been calling for bread weapons for 9 years, I'd be a little disappointed if it turned out we got no bread weapons, just more bread in baskets used in background props. No one would have promised us a baguette greatsword or a pumpernickel shield, but it would still weird of them to have marketed the bakery so much in their promo material.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

9 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Evidently you do or you'd have read the part where I said I don't care about Tengu and won't care if they're made a race or not. I don't have to be invested in something to consider a marketing tactic to be misleading.

I'm not commenting on what you want or not. I said you see what you want to see and this here:

The way they are presenting Tengu is, in my view,

is and example of what I'm talking about.

Nobody said there will be ANY -tengu or not- new playable race avaialble to the players. But because there's an npc presented in the trailes, you think it means it should be available to players. So yes, you do see what you want to see here, even if you're not somehow specifically rooting for tengus to be playable. You even specifically mentioned IBS trailers, where there were multiple races put in the spotlight and yet we know for a fact that those races were put there just because they were part of the story. For all we know, that's literally all it is. If you want to keep hyping yourself up for some reason, then feel free to do it, but then you're still doing it by your own accord.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3

I have seen nothing in any of the trailers or videos even hinting that the Tengu would be playable. They have always been NPCs and maybe people want to see them more... but the stuff I have seen so far is not it.  I think some people are trying to see something that is not there.  😎

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

If you want to keep hyping yourself for some reason, then feel free to do it, but then you're still doing it by your own accord.

I don't really have a horse in this race (bird, I guess?) so there's no hype factor on my end. I'm glad ArenaNet's getting a varied pool of feedback to review, but I've said what I think about the current Tengu (Tangu~) marketing, and that's really all I came here for.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

I don't really have a horse in this race (bird, I guess?) so there's no hype factor on my end. I'm glad ArenaNet's getting a varied pool of feedback to review, but I've said what I think about the current Tengu (Tangu~) marketing, and that's really all I came here for.

Thats alot of words for the zero marketing there is for Tengu so far in EoD marketing tho.

Its kinda like the Centaurs that was in the IBS trailer.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

Just a comment for people who claim adding Tengu is a waste of resources.

If it makes new or old players (like me) buy new character slots for them or if it drives positive talks and sales for a while, it's not "wasted resource".

And there are ways to bring a race to the game without re-voicing all of core tyria's campaign. If you're played GW1 you know that the new classes started in a new area, with their own mini tutorial. They wouldn't even need to go that far to make it viable.

Edited by Deihnyx.6318
  • Like 5
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Deihnyx.6318 said:

Just a comment for people who claim adding Tengu is a waste of resources.

If it makes new or old players (like me) buy new character slots for them or if it drives positive talks and sales for a while, it's not "wasted resource".

And there are ways to bring a race to the game without re-voicing all of core tyria's campaign. If you're played GW1 you know that the new classes started in a new area, with their own mini tutorial. They wouldn't even need to go that far to make it viable.

Yea somehow I dont think people would be pleased with that.

And gw1 the game were you had human, human and human in all 3 campains?

So by that logic they should just implement new faces, fur patterns, ears to all the existing races.

Then be done with it since it is the  same spirit as in gw1 campains?

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

Yeah how dare they depict anything in a trailer that isn't playable. I mean, non-playable trees? Literal fraud. The only reason I even pre-ordered the expansion was because the trailer led me to believe erroneously that I could finally play as a tree — sylvari notwithstanding.

Edited by Elricht Kaltwind.8796
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 3