i want to address the tangu advertising by arenet

46 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yea somehow I dont think people would be pleased with that.

And gw1 the game were you had human, human and human in all 3 campains?

So by that logic they should just implement new faces, fur patterns, ears to all the existing races.

Then be done with it since it is the  same spirit as in gw1 campains?

The logic is that you don't have to retroactively make the new race fit in all of tyria's content.

And it doesn't need to please everyone. In fact you can never please everyone. And that's okay.

Still, I would dare to say there's more people interested in a new race for a character that follows them through the entire game than say, fishing.

Edited by Deihnyx.6318
  • Like 4
  • Confused 5

On 10/11/2021 at 3:51 AM, AgentMoore.9453 said:

I don't really have a horse in this race (bird, I guess?) so there's no hype factor on my end. I'm glad ArenaNet's getting a varied pool of feedback to review, but I've said what I think about the current Tengu (Tangu~) marketing, and that's really all I came here for.

You wrote about the hype in your initial post I've quoted, so that's what I wasresponding to. If you weren't talking about "your hype", but instead about 'hypothetical player's hypothetical hype", then consider my comment to not be talking about "you" specifically, but instead to be a "hypothetical you".

In other words, read this: "If you want to keep hyping yourself up for some reason, then feel free to do it, but then you're still doing it by your own accord." as "If someone wants to keep hyping themself up for some reason, then feel free to do it, but then they're still doing it by their own accord.". The point remains the same, there are no mentions about any new playable race in any of those trailers/teasers.

__

Some people seem to be confused, so here's your initial mention about the hype:

On 10/11/2021 at 12:55 AM, AgentMoore.9453 said:

They weren't special in IBS and if they aren't special in EoD, it's going to make the hype look like a gotcha.

Whatever "hype" you're talking about here, at this moment "hyping yourself up" about something that was never announced is willingfully setting yourself up for disappointment.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

On 10/10/2021 at 6:03 AM, BadSanta.6527 said:

arenet for the love of god it is ok not to add tangu as playble race ! but it is not ok to give trailers of the expac that seems or ignatie the imagination of tangu as playbale race rather then just an npc 

that trailer you gave us of the shing ji , if tangu is not playble race it is like false advertsing .... 

i dont like it when you show something that alot of people ask for but no really 

You see one Tengu NPC in a video and take it to be some sort of taunt about making a new playable race? Yeah ok...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

The only reason there's a ton of tengu in the trailers is because that's what most people are excited about in EoD, regardless if they are a playable race or not. I can't see it being a playable race at this point because that would have definitely been the first thing said in the lead-in announcement into EoD to get massive hype.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Poormany.4507 said:

The only reason there's a ton of tengu in the trailers is because that's what most people are excited about in EoD, regardless if they are a playable race or not. I can't see it being a playable race at this point because that would have definitely been the first thing said in the lead-in announcement into EoD to get massive hype.

I think it's hardly a handful of people being excited for Tengu.

Just because something is rather vocal, doesn't mean many people actually care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/20/2021 at 12:15 AM, Fueki.4753 said:

I think it's hardly a handful of people being excited for Tengu.

Just because something is rather vocal, doesn't mean many people actually care.

I don't know about that, I showed the trailer to a few friends that have quit the game in a while and at least 2 of them immediately asked me whether Tengu were gonna be playable.

I don't think we'll ever know for sure but based on personal experience there's quite a lot of people interested by it. It's fashion wars after all, skins matter and race is just a glorified skin (and more work, for sure)

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Deihnyx.6318 said:

I don't know about that, I showed the trailer to a few friends that have quit the game in a while and at least 2 of them immediately asked me whether Tengu were gonna be playable.

I don't think we'll ever know for sure but based on personal experience there's quite a lot of people interested by it. It's fashion wars after all, skins matter and race is just a glorified skin (and more work, for sure)

2 out of how many friends?

• Confused 2

20 hours ago, Deihnyx.6318 said:

"I showed the trailer to a few friends and at least 2 of them..."  -"at least"? Counting up to 2 was so hard that you're not sure if it was 2, 3 or 4?

Sorry, but you're clearly just making up this random story. Sadly, not even a good effort.

But I'll give it a try now: I've shown the trailer to a few friends and all of them said that's a cool tengu npc, similar to the ones we already saw in earlier releases. None of them somehow assumed it will be playable, because literally nothing in the trailer pointed at that.

Please ask your friends to explain my friends what made them think a race appearing in the trailer means it will be playable. I'll pass the info.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

On 10/28/2021 at 5:29 AM, Sobx.1758 said:

"I showed the trailer to a few friends and at least 2 of them..."  -"at least"? Counting up to 2 was so hard that you're not sure if it was 2, 3 or 4?

Sorry, but you're clearly just making up this random story. Sadly, not even a good effort.

But I'll give it a try now: I've shown the trailer to a few friends and all of them said that's a cool tengu npc, similar to the ones we already saw in earlier releases. None of them somehow assumed it will be playable, because literally nothing in the trailer pointed at that.

Please ask your friends to explain my friends what made them think a race appearing in the trailer means it will be playable. I'll pass the info.

Still no answer, disappointing!

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 5:03 AM, BadSanta.6527 said:

arenet for the love of god it is ok not to add tangu as playble race ! but it is not ok to give trailers of the expac that seems or ignatie the imagination of tangu as playbale race rather then just an npc 

that trailer you gave us of the shing ji , if tangu is not playble race it is like false advertsing .... 

i dont like it when you show something that alot of people ask for but no really 

Who knows, maybe Anet will add it?  

They did keep their lips sealed about Griffon quite well, if you remember PoF release...

On 10/30/2021 at 5:59 AM, Ultramex.1506 said:

Still no answer, disappointing!

Yeah, I don't check forums all the time, it wasn't a comment that I thought would bring this kind of 'reaction'. How dare people like different things!

As for the answer there's no point. When someone accuses you of making stuff up without knowing anything about you they're engaging in bad faith, and this type of conversation never leads anywhere, as it's not really a conversation. Once their mind is set they'll find ways to interpret what you say in a way that will validate their narrative, even for something as subjective as this.

One was a friend on discord, the other was after the reveal trailer was posted on a telegram chat where yes, "at least" one person immediately mentioned it, I didn't go back to look exactly how much it was mentioned, and I didn't think someone was going to be petty enough to make a fuss about it. I'm not going to prove it and it really freaking doesn't matter. If you don't think people care about a new race that's fine, I'll have my own opinion, no biggie.

Edited by Deihnyx.6318
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Deihnyx.6318 said:

Yeah, I don't check forums all the time, it wasn't a comment that I thought would bring this kind of 'reaction'. How dare people like different things!

As for the answer there's no point. When someone accuses you of making stuff up without knowing anything about you they're engaging in bad faith, and this type of conversation never leads anywhere, as it's not really a conversation. Once their mind is set they'll find ways to interpret what you say in a way that will validate their narrative, even for something as subjective as this.

One was a friend on discord, the other was after the reveal trailer was posted on a telegram chat where yes, "at least" one person immediately mentioned it, I didn't go back to look exactly how much it was mentioned, and I didn't think someone was going to be petty enough to make a fuss about it. I'm not going to prove it and it really freaking doesn't matter. If you don't think people care about a new race that's fine, I'll have my own opinion, no biggie.

Yeah, "in the end it doesn't matter", because the fact remains that (while the story was still pretty clearly made up) there still isn't anything in the trailer that would suggest there will be a new playable race.

• Like 5
  • Confused 4

17 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Yeah, "in the end it doesn't matter", because the fact remains that (while the story was still pretty clearly made up) there still isn't anything in the trailer that would suggest there will be a new playable race.

Surprise! People on the internet have various sensibilities and will want to see evidence in the smallest details so long as it fits their agenda.

Kind of like what you're doing by calling me a liar based on how I worded my sentence. It's an opinion -not a fact- but you'll go die on that hill anyway, even though you're wrong in your assumptions and I've already explained why.

Factually there was no announcement, of course. But how you react to a trailer is subjective. Trailers using subtle tease as marketing device has become quite popular. It gets people to speculate and talk about your game, for free. I get that it's not your thing but you've been living under a rock if you've never seen people do that about what they like. 

And for people who've been wanting this specific race since the beginning of the game (there were rumors about this race being scrapped btw) it's not that difficult to see how they could get hyped up about it. I most definitely did after that dragon mission and the mention of the dominion of wind in-game. How foolish!

Doesn't mean it's there, doesn't mean you're wrong in the end. But you're definitely wrong then when you assume that nobody would have seen it this way or thought about it.

Edited by Deihnyx.6318
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Deihnyx.6318 said:

Surprise! People on the internet have various sensibilities and will want to see evidence in the smallest details so long as it fits their agenda.

And that's somehow reasonable? And that somehow makes the trailer tell us we'll get playable tengu?

No. And no. That's the point you're dodging while trying to use "but my friends thought tengu will be playable based on that trailer that never mentioned ANY new playable race" (no, they didn't) as any kind of reasonable argument in this thread. You know that's not reasonable and that this expectation for now is based on nothing, so why are you even bringing this up as if it was supposed to solidify your strongly biased opinion?

Factually there was no announcement, of course.

And facts are what matters here. Facts some people try to lie about just so they can act outraged and pretend the trailer somehow tricks them. But there's no trickery there, so what are you even arguing about in this thread?

But how you react to a trailer is subjective.

Yes, reacting to the trailer is subjective. But there's a difference between "having a subjective opinion/reaction" and striaght up making stuff up for the sake of having opportunity to act outraged when there's no reason to. "Making stuff up" as in trying to claim the trailers tells you in any way that tengu will be playable. It just doesn't and subjectivity has nothing to do with it. When the trailer tells you there will be a new playable race, then you can say "hey that trailer tells me there will be a new playable race!". For now, it just doesn't.

Trailers using subtle tease as marketing device has become quite popular. It gets people to speculate and talk about your game, for free. I get that it's not your thing but you've been living under a rock if you've never seen people do that about what they like. 

And for people who've been wanting this specific race since the beginning of the game (there were rumors about this race being scrapped btw) it's not that difficult to see how they could get hyped up about it. I most definitely did after that dragon mission and the mention of the dominion of wind in-game. How foolish!

Doesn't mean it's there, doesn't mean you're wrong in the end. But you're definitely wrong then when you assume that nobody would have seen it this way or thought about it.

Stop trying to spin it now. I never said people can't speculate, hope or expect anything they want. But the moment they pretend trailer lies to them about something that was never mentioned in the first place is where it turns from "speculating" into lying for the sake of having something to complain about. Do you not see the difference between these two appraoches?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

And that's somehow reasonable? And that somehow makes the trailer tell us we'll get playable tengu?

No. And no. That's the point you're dodging while trying to use "but my friends thought tengu will be playable based on that trailer that never mentioned ANY new playable race" (no, they didn't) as any kind of reasonable argument in this thread. You know that's not reasonable and that this expectation for now is based on nothing, so why are you even bringing this up as if it was supposed to solidify your strongly biased opinion?

And facts are what matters here. Facts some people try to lie about just so they can act outraged and pretend the trailer somehow tricks them. But there's no trickery there, so what are you even arguing about in this thread?

Yes, reacting to the trailer is subjective. But there's a difference between "having a subjective opinion/reaction" and striaght up making stuff up for the sake of having opportunity to act outraged when there's no reason to. "Making stuff up" as in trying to claim the trailers tells you in any way that tengu will be playable. It just doesn't and subjectivity has nothing to do with it. When the trailer tells you there will be a new playable race, then you can say "hey that trailer tells me there will be a new playable race!". For now, it just doesn't.

Stop trying to spin it now. I never said people can't speculate, hope or expect anything they want. But the moment they pretend trailer lies to them about something that was never mentioned in the first place is where it turns from "speculating" into lying for the sake of having something to complain about. Do you not see the difference between these two appraoches?

Maybe you don't realize it but I'm not the OP of this thread and at no point did I call Anet liars, showed any sort of outrage or anything like that. Might want to check the facts before coming at me in this manner. I was simply answering a comment from someone -in this thread- who believed Tengu barely made anyone excited, which I happen to disagree with.
The only unreasonable thing here is your follow-up comment calling me a liar for it.

Did I say "my friends thought tengu will be playable?"
No, I said they asked the question. Because they did. Because not everyone is active and up to date with the game and no matter how angry it makes you it is a legit question, it's been asked multiple times over the years and this trailer was just one other reason to ask. Heck there's still an active thread on the general forum.

Again, if you're actually OK with speculation then don't go after people for speculating over trailers or asking questions. Calling Anet liars is absolutely uncalled for but the rest is fair game.

Edited by Deihnyx.6318
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

They'll need to establish tengu story before they do anything with them. Cantha is a good place to show their story instead of telling it, as it is where their decision to migrate North began. Whatever story ArenaNet go with now will buy them time for stories in the future. It might even give them time to explore developing another playable race. If not that, then we will eventually be given the opportunity to explore their territories.

I wouldn't expect an answer for if we get a playable tengu race until we get access to the Dominion of Winds. That will only happen once something major involving the tengu happens. I'll take these tengu teasers as a hint that they're preparing to give us that answer eventually.

Edited by Quench.7091
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Deihnyx.6318 said:

Maybe you don't realize it but I'm not the OP of this thread and at no point did I call Anet liars, showed any sort of outrage or anything like that. Might want to check the facts before coming at me in this manner. I was simply answering a comment from someone -in this thread- who believed Tengu barely made anyone excited, which I happen to disagree with.
The only unreasonable thing here is your follow-up comment calling me a liar for it.

Did I say "my friends thought tengu will be playable?"
No, I said they asked the question. Because they did. Because not everyone is active and up to date with the game and no matter how angry it makes you it is a legit question, it's been asked multiple times over the years and this trailer was just one other reason to ask. Heck there's still an active thread on the general forum.

Again, if you're actually OK with speculation then don't go after people for speculating over trailers or asking questions. Calling Anet liars is absolutely uncalled for but the rest is fair game.

Maybe you didn't realize but this is a thread that tries to address the inclusion tengu in a trailer and claims it's some kind of false advertising. If you want to argue whether or not adding a new race to the game is beneficial/profitable/possible/whatever then probably wrong thread.

Not sure why you'd try to claim it makes me angry -is it because I pointed out claims about playable tengu make no sense if they're based on that trailer? It doesn't make me angry, but it doesn't change the fact that those claims are still baseless whether you like it or not.

And again, I was never "going after people for speculating", not sure why you keep making this up even after you were already corrected about that in the previous post.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Maybe you didn't realize but this is a thread that tries to address the inclusion tengu in a trailer and claims it's some kind of false advertising. If you want to argue whether or not adding a new race to the game is beneficial/profitable/possible/whatever then probably wrong thread.

Not sure why you'd try to claim it makes me angry -is it because I pointed out claims about playable tengu make no sense if they're based on that trailer? It doesn't make me angry, but it doesn't change the fact that those claims are still baseless whether you like it or not.

And again, I was never "going after people for speculating", not sure why you keep making this up even after you were already corrected about that in the previous post.

Because out of all the off-topic comments (from your own definition, I think they're all on topic) you chose to nitpick on one about speculation/reaction following the trailer.

And I'll leave it at that because we're just repeating ourselves now.

Edited by Deihnyx.6318
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1