i want to address the tangu advertising by arenet

2 hours ago, Tachenon.5270 said:

Don't look now but there's even MOAR Tangu Advertising in the Echovald Wilds preview thingee! Hee!

Yes, they are definitely doing something with the Tengu. Playable? Guess we will see, but there are way too many Tengu popping up in these videos for them not to have some kind of major involvement in EoD. Or Anet is evil and wants to screw with the pro playable Tengu crowd 🤣

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Super Hayes.6890 said:

Yes, they are definitely doing something with the Tengu. Playable? Guess we will see, but there are way too many Tengu popping up in these videos for them not to have some kind of major involvement in EoD. Or Anet is evil and wants to screw with the pro playable Tengu crowd 🤣

I had the same reaction.

A quick Ctrl + F on the youtube page shows there's again quite a few people hyping up for it.

It might be for nothing but it does look like with each new trailer we see additional work done for the Tengu.

Edited by Deihnyx.6318
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Super Hayes.6890 said:

Tengu played a major role in Canthan lore so it totally makes sense that they'd be present and involved someway with the expansion. I wouldn't go so far as to say "playable race" yet though unless they are holding that back as some surprise feature.

• Like 1

Just now, Ashantara.8731 said:

😂 Yes, because unarmed combat = Willbender ?

Oh trust me, I get it. But that seems to be what they were going with on that spec design (not so much the unarmed piece), but with the physical utility skills and movements.

I guess I am just saying that's probably the closest we'll get. I agree, an unarmed martial arts spec would be pretty cool.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

OMG, that video re-ignites a tiny spark of hope in me for
- Tengu as a playable race
- a new martial arts profession

Hey, one can dream... :classic_wink:

I feel like they could easily shut down the speculation if they had absolutely no plan for it. But maybe they're just testing the waters? A combat tonic is still a viable option.

I just have a feeling that it's far more likely for a "new race coming to gw2" to make it to mainstream gaming website headlines because it's easy to understand even for people who don't play the game (like mounts were).

Fishing is another one but honestly... Skyrim added that with its anniversary edition and it's not exactly the selling point everyone talks about.

Edited by Deihnyx.6318

1 minute ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Found a year and a half ago, so I'm not sure what that tells us.  They were considering an expansion back then?  They need more time, and thus another expansion is being planned?

Only time will tell, I guess. 

In development time, a year and a half isn't all too long for larger features, they need time to flesh this stuff out. Like I wouldn't be surprised to hear mounts took a year and a half to make.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/10/2021 at 2:08 PM, Fueki.4753 said:

I think the best way to give Tengu to players would be via a combat transformation tonic (or maybe a whole set with multiple recolours). There is only one model, so that shouldn't take away too many resources from other parts of the game.

Due to only one model existing, we can't even know if the Tengu shown are native to Cantha, or descendants of exiled Canthan Tengu that came along with the commander. They may simply be Tengu from tribes that are native to Kryta, Maguuma or the Shiver Peaks that came with the commander.

There are a couple reasons this solution would be unsatisfactory for many of the Tengu-hyped players. The biggest (at least I think) is that combat tonics and mounts don't play well together yet, and may never. I personally HATE the Charr character model, and I almost never play my one single Charr char (sorry, I had to) for that single reason. I thought the infinite watchwork tonics would be an option for playing that char, but no luck for me. Each time I want to mount I have to disengage the tonic to be able mount, then dismount and re-engage tonic. So not worth the extra hassle every single time I want to mount, so that char remains limited to crafting & harvesting.

Secondly, for some, although certainly not me, there is also an interest in the lore that goes along with a race. While I would see all that lore and story an abysmal waste of time, some players out there don't share my own tastes in that regard and actually WANT to delve into the lore that would accompany a new playable race. 

Personally I think we should quit wasting time with Tengu and bring in Largos. 😄

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Moira Shalaar.5620 said:

So not worth the extra hassle every single time I want to mount, so that char remains limited to crafting & harvesting.

Agreed, sadly.

I love my Kodan tonic, but I quickly get tired of turning it on and off, and so it mostly goes unused.