Really want to learn and master warrior

Kuzuryu.7359

I really really enjoyed playing warrior and thief back in 2012 and my experience reached a peak with HoT and berserker. 

After coming back to the game after a 5 year break, I am very sadden by the state of warrior is currently in the spvp meta. 

I am mostly playing my thief these days since they are still very meta despite all the nerfs. 

Warrior is still my true love, I loved the playstyle fishing for a CC, weapon swap being the integral part of our damage combo. I just really wannna learn to do well, but all I know about warrior from 5+ years ago is kinda meaningless now. 

After a quick glance through metabattle and godsofpvp, only spellbreaker and the core axe/gs warrior builds that are still listed as viable. I also watched a lot of Vallun's video, but only 2 of them are warrior videos. Then there's PlagueTV, he does a lot of unranked games and most of the time he doesn't really explain much. What I need is really a dedicated resource for learning how to play and master warrior. Whenever I do a quick search on Youtube and sort by date, a lot of the time are old videos from 4-5 months ago. Seems like most warrior pvp contents dried up after the May 2021 patch. 

@Multicolorhipster.9751 has a relatively immortal node holding build, but even Multi will tell you it is boring to play as while it cannot be killed easily. it also does not kill.

Healbreaker is something that you can do okay with but it got nerfed.

Core Axe/GS and Spellbreaker are really the only two builds that you will have much success with. That said, there is nothing stopping you from queueing in unranked and playing all the build variations until you find what works best for you specifically.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

You just came in the worst momment, but there are some tips:

Berserker: The condi build practically ignores blinds because of "Last Blaze", so dont worry too much with blinds on headbutt.
Spellbreaker: Full counter usually guarantees your mending cast. Also, be omega defensive if enemy have prot and stab (stab, the weakest point of spb) and focus to break those boons.
Core tactics strength: Soldier rune instead of fighter is a good variant vs condi comps.

General tips:
-About face is good vs other warriors and some other classes, its good for baiting skills.
-Jump + Dodge makes your dodge duration a bit longer.
-Never be a braindead player (we're not on our best momment, we can't afford that like some busted classes lol)

There are just a few warriors that still plays pvp, the others rerolled class, games, or just took a long break, 2020 bal patch is the worst thing that happened to warrior, and the FC and resistance nerf. But who knows, maybe they're gonna fix warrior after EoD COPIUM

17 minutes ago, Kuzuryu.7359 said:

Immortal node holding build? any link to it? or tell me the rough gist of it. 

Warrior is not a dps bruiser anymore (not what used to be), you have to choose between dmg and squishy or bunkery and no dmg, which is not the case for the others sidenoders lol (mirage, ranger, weaver, etc. big damage pressure and better node holding without real trade off) they usually hold the node better than a class that specializes on melee, but there you have, a build, healing signet might be a good variant, but just heals less per second and doesnt even cleanse.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwAIh7lJwCZKMMGKeqX+PTA-z5gfKZqA6VC0tIIjhgHGA

Edited by Zizekent.2398

This is my supper secret People are stupid build 2.0 , it works only on stupid people which there is plenty off. 
Hope it doesn't get nerfed randomly like People are stupid 1.0 that relied on resistance and Strength, miss those 9k deacaps, it is amazing that they nerfed it even though no one played it.

Edited by Vancho.8750

39 minutes ago, Vancho.8750 said:

This is my supper secret People are stupid build 2.0 , it works only on stupid people which there is plenty off. 
Hope it doesn't get nerfed randomly like People are stupid 1.0 that relied on resistance and Strength, miss those 9k deacaps, it is amazing that they nerfed it even though no one played it.

You forgot ammy and rune. Unless that is how you roll, then hats off to you good sir.

39 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

You forgot ammy and rune. Unless that is how you roll, then hats off to you good sir.

Ok fixed it, seems that it didn't record it even though it was the first thing I put in there. I'll even put the 1.0 up here .

Edited by Vancho.8750

Imo  you need to learn to play all specs and core.

You can't sit on Berserker and I say ill main it , similar for Spellbreaker.  You can default to one that is most comfortable for you  all the time  but you need to learn to adapt when the situation demands it . Its the same thing with your traits , weapons and utility choices as its the most general advice. You can't sit on a specific weapon .specific build specific ability and say I am done. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Ah. RR and tempest runes combo pretty great with Berserker ngl.

Yeah, in WvW it's even better tbh. 

AS for what I run nowadays cause I'm tired of SpB and Core does it's job but I stick to Tactics variant (I still want to experiment more with Arms BsW despite it's performance) this is what I run: I run Warrior rune rn, but I'd gladly go for Tempest as well (just need 2 more leggy pieces). Have also thought about using Zephyrite rune to pump superspeed after a headbutt so I'll try that too.Overall similar build but for WvW purposes. http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwAk6FlRwsYYsEmJeyX+tfA-zVYYREhloBuwOlMFBdKE6WBEuEQpzilzAA-w

Herald runes and durability runes are also good contenders.

Had a good duel yesterday but I don't know if I can share a link to it(was streamed) without asking the streamer first.

I play with the idea of turbocharging Berserk mode with toughness via food and RR, as well as signet, so prot on heal or generally dmg mitigation effects I value a bit more than a raw heal from tempest rune, although it can work very well with RR and other heals like Draining sigil.

Edited by Grand Marshal.4098

18 hours ago, Kuzuryu.7359 said:

I really really enjoyed playing warrior and thief back in 2012 and my experience reached a peak with HoT and berserker. 

After coming back to the game after a 5 year break, I am very sadden by the state of warrior is currently in the spvp meta. 

I am mostly playing my thief these days since they are still very meta despite all the nerfs. 

Warrior is still my true love, I loved the playstyle fishing for a CC, weapon swap being the integral part of our damage combo. I just really wannna learn to do well, but all I know about warrior from 5+ years ago is kinda meaningless now. 

After a quick glance through metabattle and godsofpvp, only spellbreaker and the core axe/gs warrior builds that are still listed as viable. I also watched a lot of Vallun's video, but only 2 of them are warrior videos. Then there's PlagueTV, he does a lot of unranked games and most of the time he doesn't really explain much. What I need is really a dedicated resource for learning how to play and master warrior. Whenever I do a quick search on Youtube and sort by date, a lot of the time are old videos from 4-5 months ago. Seems like most warrior pvp contents dried up after the May 2021 patch. 

Bind stow weapon and FEINT a lot, trick people into thinking you're going to do a big attack. Key is to bait dodges/defensive cds with little resource as possible, but this is too hard nowadays. For skills like Eviscerate you want to swap weapons if you think you're going to miss or you're going to bait. And count all possible dodges/all possible stun breaks a build can have. That's the best I can give you.

I'd say learn all possible warrior combinations as well (When to use signet of might vs. block spammers for example, when to use bulls charge, when to use defiant stance over signet)

You missed out on a time where Warrior was actually worth being good with though. If you were 6 years earlier, like in 2015, you'd actually enjoy mastering Warrior.

Edited by BlackTruth.6813

@Grand Marshal.4098I've been playing this degenerate build: Stat-Checker

Still getting Discipline out of my muscle memory which is the hardest part of it, though I find myself wanting to switch every 8s, so I may try Warrior Runes later on.

One particularly fun fight this week I forced a Shiro Herald roamer to run away which is one match up I have trouble with personally. Would have followed him but a Trap DH roamer jumped me so I dueled him instead.

I either face tanked his traps+symbols or WWA out of them and threw my GS at him. That DH did not expect me to be able to face tank his full DPS. That Shiro Roamer was full 'nope' btw and didn't bother to help his DH buddy.

The low crit rate lulls people but then they get hit by the burst at 200% critical damage and 100% crit chance and realize they made a mistake.  They then realize they blew their on Big dps skills and I'm only at half health and am already halfway through mending's animation to reset all their hard work.

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2021 at 8:52 AM, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

@Grand Marshal.4098I've been playing this degenerate build: Stat-Checker

Still getting Discipline out of my muscle memory which is the hardest part of it, though I find myself wanting to switch every 8s, so I may try Warrior Runes later on.

One particularly fun fight this week I forced a Shiro Herald roamer to run away which is one match up I have trouble with personally. Would have followed him but a Trap DH roamer jumped me so I dueled him instead.

I either face tanked his traps+symbols or WWA out of them and threw my GS at him. That DH did not expect me to be able to face tank his full DPS. That Shiro Roamer was full 'nope' btw and didn't bother to help his DH buddy.

The low crit rate lulls people but then they get hit by the burst at 200% critical damage and 100% crit chance and realize they made a mistake.  They then realize they blew their on Big dps skills and I'm only at half health and am already halfway through mending's animation to reset all their hard work.

Interesting build, I will try it

Edited by Broxxgar.6801
Just Liked the build.

On 10/11/2021 at 12:51 PM, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

@Multicolorhipster.9751 has a relatively immortal node holding build, but even Multi will tell you it is boring to play as while it cannot be killed easily. it also does not kill.

Healbreaker is something that you can do okay with but it got nerfed.

Core Axe/GS and Spellbreaker are really the only two builds that you will have much success with. That said, there is nothing stopping you from queueing in unranked and playing all the build variations until you find what works best for you specifically.

Aristocracy runes, Hammer, Mace/shield, Rabid amulet, Strength

I will pray for all of you and your attention spans.

• Thanks 1

Had half dozen placement match today, I am very sad and distressed. 

Every game I feel like i'm dragging my team behind. Can't even beat a bot. Tried, all 3 specs, felt like a deer in headlight all the time. 

Jump in the pit to ask for people to practice with me, end up getting ganked by everyone in the pit.... 

This is very depressing, if I'm set on a doing this season playing warrior only, i might just quit the game. 

I am a gold 3 player on my thief and guard, I play them fine, I know what I'm suppose to do, the flow to combat is intuitive. The moment I swap to war, I feel like I can't do anything. CC skill get's blocked, missed, dodged, and nothing to follow up. At least one thing I am improving is to live long enough to have my healing skill off cooldown (16), but can't do offensive pressure. 

Is there a build or set up I can try as an absolute braindead beginner, cause that how I feel. I don't really understand the trait line choices recommended by the meta sites. Nothing about warrior feels intuitive to me anymore and it just doesn't feel natural. It's like I'm playing street fighter while everyone is playing WoW. 

Edited by Kuzuryu.7359

16 hours ago, Kuzuryu.7359 said:

Had half dozen placement match today, I am very sad and distressed. 

Every game I feel like i'm dragging my team behind. Can't even beat a bot. Tried, all 3 specs, felt like a deer in headlight all the time. 

Jump in the pit to ask for people to practice with me, end up getting ganked by everyone in the pit.... 

This is very depressing, if I'm set on a doing this season playing warrior only, i might just quit the game. 

I am a gold 3 player on my thief and guard, I play them fine, I know what I'm suppose to do, the flow to combat is intuitive. The moment I swap to war, I feel like I can't do anything. CC skill get's blocked, missed, dodged, and nothing to follow up. At least one thing I am improving is to live long enough to have my healing skill off cooldown (16), but can't do offensive pressure. 

Is there a build or set up I can try as an absolute braindead beginner, cause that how I feel. I don't really understand the trait line choices recommended by the meta sites. Nothing about warrior feels intuitive to me anymore and it just doesn't feel natural. It's like I'm playing street fighter while everyone is playing WoW. 

A lot of this cleans up with practice. Warrior, especially spell breaker, has a rather high skill ceiling. Despite how warrior is often perceived by other classes, warrior is quite difficult to play. Many people mistake simplicity of a kit for ease of use. Due to large telegraphs and low iframes, conserving dodges, reading bars and animations, skill cancelling, baiting, and counting dodgers are basic necessities for a warrior to fight any player on a meta build with an inkling of how to play. Many other classes do not need to have quite the same proficiency with the fundamental concepts of combat because the consequences of not dodging properly are relatively low thanks to damage mitigators, I-frames, high mobility, frequent healing, etc. 

Basically it just takes practicing. Dueling people who are better than you is generally a good way to start getting the hang of it (even if you are consistently losing, that doesn’t mean you aren’t improving). 
Unfortunately, warrior doesn’t really have “brain dead” builds anymore. Spell is by far the most effective, but is a tier or two below meta builds. Core warrior is simpler, since there is not a reliance on a faster reaction damage mitigation, but is not as good. I guess if you want easiest style of play, a core tactics build is quite tanky, but I have no idea how it does in pvp since I’ve never run it in pvp. 
Best of luck my man 🙂 

17 hours ago, Kuzuryu.7359 said:

Welcome to warrior OP 🙂 the most mind numbingly nerfed crappy profession of this game.

You can have relative success with this build in lower brackets: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwEE6MssA2FDjtxKxRaa9pD-zZoPjqVB5LB85A

The only requisite is that you need at least 1 player in your team who can do damage lol... just one and then this build quite nicely compliments it. You basically keep your team buffed and cc free with warhorn, switch to GS for doing damage when you can (or to escape) and use Axe #3 on fleeing ppl. Use Fear when other team tries to stomp or doing some big focused skill. Dodge roll out of nasty stuff on the ground. Use Great Justice at the start of the fight, then rotate the shouts accordingly as your team loses hitpoints. You can have some success with 1v1 even, but quite hard to finish off anyone since you can't prevent them from escape. Oh and use the Sigil elite for selfhealing as well. You should be good to go until Gold with this.

Edited by kmark.8519

4 hours ago, oscuro.9720 said:

A lot of this cleans up with practice. Warrior, especially spell breaker, has a rather high skill ceiling. Despite how warrior is often perceived by other classes, warrior is quite difficult to play. Many people mistake simplicity of a kit for ease of use. Due to large telegraphs and low iframes, conserving dodges, reading bars and animations, skill cancelling, baiting, and counting dodgers are basic necessities for a warrior to fight any player on a meta build with an inkling of how to play. Many other classes do not need to have quite the same proficiency with the fundamental concepts of combat because the consequences of not dodging properly are relatively low thanks to damage mitigators, I-frames, high mobility, frequent healing, etc. 

Basically it just takes practicing. Dueling people who are better than you is generally a good way to start getting the hang of it (even if you are consistently losing, that doesn’t mean you aren’t improving). 
Unfortunately, warrior doesn’t really have “brain dead” builds anymore. Spell is by far the most effective, but is a tier or two below meta builds. Core warrior is simpler, since there is not a reliance on a faster reaction damage mitigation, but is not as good. I guess if you want easiest style of play, a core tactics build is quite tanky, but I have no idea how it does in pvp since I’ve never run it in pvp. 
Best of luck my man 🙂 

I remember back in HoT, I was running a berserker build that use healing signet and adrenal healing and it was very effective at staying alive in 1v2 situation. I tried that build again off memory but it just doesn't work, it felt a lot squisher than I remembered and the healing is not quite there. Guess I can't really rely on a build that's more than 5 years old. 

4 hours ago, kmark.8519 said:

Welcome to warrior OP 🙂 the most mind numbingly nerfed crappy profession of this game.

You can have relative success with this build in lower brackets: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwEE6MssA2FDjtxKxRaa9pD-zZoPjqVB5LB85A

The only requisite is that you need at least 1 player in your team who can do damage lol... just one and then this build quite nicely compliments it. You basically keep your team buffed and cc free with warhorn, switch to GS for doing damage when you can (or to escape) and use Axe #3 on fleeing ppl. Use Fear when other team tries to stomp or doing some big focused skill. Dodge roll out of nasty stuff on the ground. Use Great Justice at the start of the fight, then rotate the shouts accordingly as your team loses hitpoints. You can have some success with 1v1 even, but quite hard to finish off anyone since you can't prevent them from escape. Oh and use the Sigil elite for selfhealing as well. You should be good to go until Gold with this.

Looks like the healbreaker build. Only got 4 wins during the placement and I'm already at gold...

58 minutes ago, Kuzuryu.7359 said:

I remember back in HoT, I was running a berserker build that use healing signet and adrenal healing and it was very effective at staying alive in 1v2 situation. I tried that build again off memory but it just doesn't work, it felt a lot squisher than I remembered and the healing is not quite there. Guess I can't really rely on a build that's more than 5 years old. 

Healing signet got a sizable nerf and the stance traits were needed to be essentially useless in competitive modes, so it is, indeed, much squishier. Defense doesn’t give very good defense atm, it’s better to run tactics+shouts for the healing if you want a tankier build.