What if Catalyst lost ability to Aura?

Zergs.9715

I keep coming back to Catalyst's wiki to look at the skills and cannot shake the feeling that this espec was frankensteined from various different ideas that do not jell together very well.

Aura based traits feel like they are leftover from Tempest. I don't think Catalyst should trample over Aura based spec that already exists and be better at it. Anet, if you want to improve upon aura build, go ahead and do it with the Tempest. So I was thinking what if Cata lost auras entirely and got Hammer #3 orbs instead. Damage and their passive effects would have to be rebalanced, naturally.

And lets be honest that mechanic is too cool to be only tied to one crappy weapon!

1. You'd have up to 5 or 10 orbs.

2. They can be of the same element or different one depending on what attunement you performed your combo in.

3. Every time you combo their duration is refreshed (for pressure build or send them to you're enemies for a "shatter" ranged build)

4. Aura share trait now gives orbs to other players (maybe weaker, maybe with less damage). So you are AUGMENTING your allies, see?! 😄

5. You'd send them flying by transmute fire/water/air/earth (ALL weapons get to play with orbiting balls!) or Augments

6. Augments would... augment projectiles you send (projectiles cause burning if you send them by using fire augment, bleeding with earth augment etc)

The benefit of Hammer as an elite spec weapon would be that it can produce orbs even without doing combos. Plus you'd definitely be able to roleplay like Avatar with all those orbs swirling around!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cool idea. Non-ele main but Ive had my fair share of ele gameplay and I don't like the F5 on catalyst at all. Instead with your orb idea, give catalyst the same UI (or similar) to mesmer but for 5 orbs under control and gain the well effects from the jade sphere on hitting max orbs (4 already are build by cycling through hammer and combos exist in all other sets too). Basically one for each element and an arcane orb to bind them all together. Like say, with 5 orbs attuning to air pulses quickness around you etc.

magine each orbs in the UI representing the color of it's element (but with no restriction of having to combo in a specific element to get it, just some flavor for the UI).

Edited by Grand Marshal.4098
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, FrownyClown.8402 said:

That is their best mechanic atm. It gives you enough cleanse to build fire without water traits and the stability lets you take utilities without stunbreaks.

True. I think that could be remedied through traits or Augments. If done properly orbs can be as strong as auras, only more fun to play/look at. 🙂

5 minutes ago, Zergs.9715 said:

True. I think that could be remedied through traits or Augments. If done properly orbs can be as strong as auras, only more fun to play/look at. 🙂

You know what though?

SIIIIIIIIkEEEEEE they won't change the mechanics for any of the specs whether we like it or not. Didn't we all see omega epic catalyst gameplay in the shing jea showcase? 😂

I'd love for any of these changes tho. What Catalyst left me wanting was an unique way to play with the elements and it's didin't give that. It's core ele swap. The F5 would then promise the just as interesting mechanic! Nope it's a stationary well that does no dmg pulses a boon (welcome to the warrior banner world Eles and the useleness of stationary fields/effects). Not to mention that it's UI looks awful. An f5 with a weird icon and the energy bar on top of it is not even visible. They also mixed the concept of energy in the spec too but didn't know what to do with it lol.

Another confused spec...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

You know what though?

SIIIIIIIIkEEEEEE they won't change the mechanics for any of the specs whether we like it or not. Didn't we all see omega epic catalyst gameplay in the shing jea showcase? 😂

I'd love for any of these changes tho. What Catalyst left me wanting was an unique way to play with the elements and it's didin't give that. It's core ele swap. The F5 would then promise the just as interesting mechanic! Nope it's a stationary well that does no dmg pulses a boon (welcome to the warrior banner world Eles and the useleness of stationary fields/effects). Not to mention that it's UI looks awful. An f5 with a weird icon and the energy bar on top of it is not even visible. They also mixed the concept of energy in the spec too but didn't know what to do with it lol.

Another confused spec...

WHY WON'T YOU LET ME DREAM!!! 😆

Eh I'm just massaging my brain with ideas. I don't have much hope that something significant will change. I'd have to agree about UI... Don't you guys have Druids? Just do that.

• Haha 1

Would rather all the hammer 3 orbs do no damage until you unload them for Grand Finale. That way it would fit the melee tanky spec that they were aiming for (as opposed to weaver which is contingent on barrier and evade). They can put back damage onto skills rather than passives with heavy RNG.

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 2

I think they should have never give Auras to tempest's shouts and overloads, but buff traits in core traitlanes. Because it has stolen the mechanic without leaving anything in return to core; maybe even induced nerfs (tempest defense, CD on frost aura ...)

It'll be the same issue with catalyst.
I don't think Catalyst (d/d catalyst in fact) should spam significantly more auras than core and earn more buffs/boons on them.
May be one trait (stab on auras or a damage modificator (to share with water)), and leaps on hammer; to keep a synergy between the e-spec and others specs; but not to make core irrelevant once again.

Edited by Zhaid Zhem.6508

3 hours ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

they won't change the mechanics for any of the specs whether we like it or not. Didn't we all see omega epic catalyst gameplay in the shing jea showcase? 😂

It's time for some dumb logic:

- Catalyst have a lot of elements similar to scrapper (hammer/useless flying thing)

- Scrapper switch focus on game mechanics every 1-2 years (first it was about stun/daze, then combos, then boons... etc.)

- Elemental Aura are but a mechanic of the elementalist.

- Thus, by rule of similarity, I can deduce that the devs can/will switch the focus on aura that catalyst have to something else every 1-2 years.

Edited by Dadnir.5038

3 hours ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

You know what though?

Well, not to get anyones hopes up, but remember it really hasn't been all that long since the beta ended. It's possible fixes are on the way, but still being tested for balance. Even if there are changes ready to go live, I don't think they'd wanna reveal them with Rubi just playing around, they'd probably want CMC to come out and discuss why they were changed in an actual live stream.

If there is any elite spec that will get changed a bit, it should be Catalyst.

As for the topic of auras: I personally would prefer ANet keep working with something that already has built in synergy with Elementalist like Auras than just making up some new mechanic. But considering its still in beta, I'm open to anything. I think the biggest issues for Cata are the Jade Sphere, Energy and lack of natural fields on Hammer more than the Aura game play.

More then likely they should lean into auras on cata going more orb aura combo (get an orb when you eat an aura with transmutation and give hammer a means of transmutation for all auras) and remove auras on tempest (give them strong boons on overloades casting / full cast as well as boon on shouts/barrier on shouts.)

• Confused 1