Legendary Weapon Variants Dec. 3

It would have been nice if they had told us about the details of these weapons when we got the precursor token. We still don't know what exactly we need in terms of existing materials or new stuff. Before anyone says mystic coins there could be a new "mystic tribute" for all we know. Even a third set of runetstones, or a collection quest for part of the gifts, or new mystic curios.

Legendaries are big a time and money investment so having at least a six months heads up would have been nice.  Getting more than one is still going to take years for most of us even if we know what they all will look like in December.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Vidit.7108 said:

It would have been nice if they had told us about the details of these weapons when we got the precursor token. We still don't know what exactly we need in terms of existing materials or new stuff. Before anyone says mystic coins there could be a new "mystic tribute" for all we know. Even a third set of runetstones, or a collection quest for part of the gifts, or new mystic curios.

Legendaries are big a time and money investment so having at least a six months heads up would have been nice.  Getting more than one is still going to take years for most of us even if we know what they all will look like in December.

From their point of view, they probably don't want you doing too much preparation. They put the precursor behind the Return to Living World to get us playing through old content while we wait, but I expect they want the rest of the work to be something that keeps you playing EoD after launch.

Just a thought.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I expect they want the rest of the work to be something that keeps you playing EoD after launch

That's assuming they do something completely new. If it is the same formula, mystic tribute etc and all they do is throw in a optional new regional mastery then it will be pretty easy for some people to have the new legendary on day one. 

6 minutes ago, Vidit.7108 said:

That's assuming they do something completely new. If it is the same formula, mystic tribute etc and all they do is throw in a optional new regional mastery then it will be pretty easy for some people to have the new legendary on day one. 

True.

1 hour ago, Vidit.7108 said:

I actually think this is partially the intent, to give players access to a legendary very early/easily in EoD.  This will drive interest in the Legendary Armory, and perhaps springboard into the next age where more players are working towards legendary items as a general end game option.

I don't know that they will make getting Gen 1 or 2 Legendary items any easier via nerfing the process, but perhaps through buffing the methods of attaining required items for a Gen 3 Legendary.

4 hours ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

I actually think this is partially the intent, to give players access to a legendary very early/easily in EoD.  This will drive interest in the Legendary Armory, and perhaps springboard into the next age where more players are working towards legendary items as a general end game option.

I don't know that they will make getting Gen 1 or 2 Legendary items any easier via nerfing the process, but perhaps through buffing the methods of attaining required items for a Gen 3 Legendary.

You mean like they do with season of the dragon amulet and the weapon precursor already?

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

These items suggest that is the case.  However until we finish these legendary items, we won’t know the full cost. 

I expect the cost to be as little as a gen 1 or as much as a gen 2.

Expecting them cheaper then that is setting yourself up for disapointment.

• Confused 1

Before you mention the december 3rd legendary "variants" reveal, be honest with yourself and accept that variants is simply referring to the different weapon types; if they meant customization of any level, they'd have said "Legendary weapon customization preview".

Having cleared that up, I'm still waiting for Arenanet to pull a fast one on us and say "we were just kidding, here are the actual gen 3 legendaries" followed by some exciting new and unique designs for each weapon type. I dont care HOW shiny they make these aurene skins; this is what lazy and rushed content looks like. I wouldn't be surprised if this weapon set was a design the art team literally pulled out of their "ideas for future black lion weapon sets" folder, cranked up the shiny slider to 11 and boom here are our new gen 3 legendaries.

I sincerely hope that Arenanet reevaluates what makes legendary weapons different and interesting and desirable. While not all legendaries are equally jaw-dropping, they are all undeniably unique and creative in their concepts and designs. A weapon set is a very easy way out of having to come up with a bunch of new ideas for each weapon type. No passion, uninspired and lazy. And to be honest, this whole expansion feels that way.

• Like 5
  • Confused 6

On 10/14/2021 at 12:13 AM, Linken.6345 said:

I expect the cost to be as little as a gen 1 or as much as a gen 2.

Expecting them cheaper then that is setting yourself up for disapointment.

Personally, i don't hold too much hope about the gen3 legendaries after what we've seen and heard so far. And i still fully expect to end up disappointed even further.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nayaru.4716 said:

Absolutely works for me. It's the first time I've wanted a whole set of legendaries whereas previous generations I barely want any of them. If there is a crime it's that there's not a legendary set for every type of legendary so everyone can fit their theme with any weapon type! 

I can see this side of the argument, but it does really blur the lines between Legendaries as an aesthetic vs the Black Lion weapons which in many ways cheapens these Legendaries. 

Personally I think it's a bad way to go. Legendaries as a unique skin make sense.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

I'm just disappointed that instead of giving us a diverse collection of Canthan themed legendaries, we are getting an Aurene weapon set.

I really couldn't care less about Aurene at this point and this expansion should be about Cantha, not her.

Edited by witcher.3197
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2