Legendary Weapon Variants Dec. 3

51 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Same person, same post:

>"be honest with yourself and accept that variants is simply referring to the different weapon types"

>"I'm still waiting for anet to have a twist on legendaries"

So which one is it?

Didnt write that second part, but I'll help you understand how both statements can be true simultaneously. Weapon variants, as I've explained in the line you literally quoted me on, refers to the different weapon types (sword, axe, hammer, etc). A "twist on legendaries" would refer to their designs, and does not contradict the first sentence, so I don't know why this is so hard for you.

But again, I never even wrote that second line you made up and confused yourself with.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Noktus.8506 said:

Didnt write that second part, (...)

But again, I never even wrote that second line you made up and confused yourself with.

True, you wrote "to pull a fast one on us", which as far as I understand has the same meaning in this context.

but I'll help you understand how both statements can be true simultaneously. Weapon variants, as I've explained in the line you literally quoted me on, refers to the different weapon types (sword, axe, hammer, etc). A "twist on legendaries" would refer to their designs, and does not contradict the first sentence, so I don't know why this is so hard for you.

That might be a sufficient explanation if it wasn't for the fact that the opening of your post includes "if they meant customization of any level, they'd have said "Legendary weapon customization preview". " -and in the exact same manner we can say with equal dose of certainty that "if they meant dufferent weapon types, they would use the word type".

Overally I don't have any far reaching expectations in this regard, because it can be whatever and I don't see a reason to guess when I'll just see when the time comes, but you're literally using specific choice of words (variants =/= customization) as your argumentation while at the same time you close your eye on the same argument, where "variants =/= types". And you understand that "Types" is what's usually being used in this context since you're even using it yourself above. You either want to be honest with yourself or you don't, you know 😛

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

How about not expecting anything spectacular?

I would rather "Aurene legendaries" as you call them have affordability on par with gen 1 legendaries and be focused on strikes or other content with replay value as opposed to just doing a map over again as gen1 legendaries require.

I haven't made a legendary mace because I don't like either of the mace skins and an aurene-themed legendary mace would probably work with guardian/warrior/revenants depending on your aesthetic choice (if engineer gets mace it would have a total of 4 classes using it). Other skins I haven't made include hammer (mainly since it's not that useful as condi , Juggernaut has a skin effect), torch (almost always is condi), warhorn (not a fan of the skins), and longbow (I hate camping longbow regardless of class : this has nothing to do with aesthetic).

I would say the gen 3 legendary weapons should focus more on utility and provide more of the user-base with access to legendary weapons for the stat-swap ability. That would be applicable to offhands in particular since you don't get the footfalls when you have a legendary mainhand (shield/warhorn/focus/torch).

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

True, you wrote "to pull a fast one on us", which as far as I understand has the same meaning in this context.

That might be a sufficient explanation if it wasn't for the fact that the opening of your post includes "if they meant customization of any level, they'd have said "Legendary weapon customization preview". " -and in the exact same manner we can say with equal dose of certainty that "if they meant dufferent weapon types, they would use the word type".

Overally I don't have any far reaching expectations in this regard, because it can be whatever and I don't see a reason to guess when I'll just see when the time comes, but you're literally using specific choice of words (variants =/= customization) as your argumentation while at the same time you close your eye on the same argument, where "variants =/= types". And you understand that "Types" is what's usually being used in this context since you're even using it yourself above. You either want to be honest with yourself or you don't, you know 😛

"Pull a fast one on us" very simply connotes to trickery, deception, a jab at our expectations. Reading what I wrote and deriving your own definition of what "pulling a fast one" entails is your own fault- in no way does it come close to equating to "a twist on legendaries".

..Yes, I'm *assuming* what Arenanet means by their use of the word "variants". Reason being: it simply makes the most sense to assume that "legendary weapon variants preview" means the presentation of the revealed legendary skins and the variants in which they'd be available- the only possible context behind "variants" being that there are multiple weapon types in the game, and the presentation will showcase them. Honestly exhausting having to go this far into detail

Edited by Noktus.8506
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

How about not expecting anything spectacular?

I would rather "Aurene legendaries" as you call them have affordability on par with gen 1 legendaries and be focused on strikes or other content with replay value as opposed to just doing a map over again as gen1 legendaries require.

I haven't made a legendary mace because I don't like either of the mace skins and an aurene-themed legendary mace would probably work with guardian/warrior/revenants depending on your aesthetic choice (if engineer gets mace it would have a total of 4 classes using it). Other skins I haven't made include hammer (mainly since it's not that useful as condi), torch (almost always is condi), warhorn (not a fan of the skins), and longbow (I hate camping longbow regardless of class : this has nothing to do with aesthetic).

I would say the gen 3 legendary weapons should focus more or utility and provide more of the user-base with access to legendary weapons for the stat-swap ability. That would be applicable to offhands in particular since you don't get the footfalls when you have a legendary mainhand (shield/warhorn/focus/torch).

Availability is another issue entirely- being easier to acquire has no relation to their designs as legendary weapons, outside of perhaps being the only excuse as to why they're as bland and uninspired as they are.

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2021 at 1:51 AM, Noktus.8506 said:

"Pull a fast one on us" very simply connotes to trickery, deception, a jab at our expectations. Reading what I wrote and deriving your own definition of what "pulling a fast one" entails is your own fault- in no way does it come close to equating to "a twist on legendaries".

..Yes, I'm *assuming* what Arenanet means by their use of the word "variants". Reason being: it simply makes the most sense to assume that "legendary weapon variants preview" means the presentation of the revealed legendary skins and the variants in which they'd be available- the only possible context behind "variants" being that there are multiple weapon types in the game, and the presentation will showcase them. Honestly exhausting having to go this far into detail

*boop* wrong. 🤷‍♂️

In case anyone previously interested in this specific wording missed the reveal: https://i.redd.it/gbrm031yxd381.png

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I'm still super disappointed the gen3's aren't unique and "legendary" like the gen1/gen2s. They're just a fraction above gem store skins and IMO that sucks. Definitely not legendary-worthy.

I'd rather have zero gen3s on EOD launch and get a "real" set of truly unique and varied gen3s some time down the track.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

9 hours ago, scerevisiae.1972 said:

I'm still super disappointed the gen3's aren't unique and "legendary" like the gen1/gen2s. They're just a fraction above gem store skins and IMO that sucks. Definitely not legendary-worthy.

I'd rather have zero gen3s on EOD launch and get a "real" set of truly unique and varied gen3s some time down the track.  

Agreed

• Confused 2

18 hours ago, Noktus.8506 said:

Ye, im pleasantly surprised and stand corrected. Still, my assumption of what they meant by variants was a safe one

Not really, the "safe one" would be not pretending you know what it will be, where they specifically didn't use word "type" to describe what you were claiming it will be 😉

11 hours ago, scerevisiae.1972 said:

Tbh I can't exactly agree with this. The way they're going about gen 3 legendaries will make it much easier to use multiple legendary weapons (with their original skins) without clashing with the overall character style and each other, when dual wielding or weaponswapping.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Not really, the "safe one" would be not pretending you know what it will be, where they specifically didn't use word "type" to describe what you were claiming it will be 😉

A safe one. I didn't claim it was the safe one.

Jeez, are you always like this?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Noktus.8506 said:

A safe one. I didn't claim it was the safe one.

Jeez, are you always like this?

oops my bad, let me correct this mistake:

Not really, a "safe one" would be not pretending you know what it will be, where they specifically didn't use word "type" to describe what you were claiming it will be 😉

Regardless of usage of "a" or "the", the point itself remains unchanged: nothing's "safe" in making the claim where you pretend you know more than you do.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/14/2021 at 3:25 AM, Vidit.7108 said:

It would have been nice if they had told us about the details of these weapons when we got the precursor token. We still don't know what exactly we need in terms of existing materials or new stuff. Before anyone says mystic coins there could be a new "mystic tribute" for all we know. Even a third set of runetstones, or a collection quest for part of the gifts, or new mystic curios.

Legendaries are big a time and money investment so having at least a six months heads up would have been nice.  Getting more than one is still going to take years for most of us even if we know what they all will look like in December.

One thing we DO know is that the new legendaries will require something from Fishing

On 12/4/2021 at 10:37 AM, Randin.5701 said:

I'd wondered if they were going to do something along those lines; really nice touch. With the Zhaitan-themed staff, I may finally have a legendary that I like for my necro.

I like the zhaitan themed greatsword - it will match my dark themed charrdian perfectly.

And the primordus theme will suit my fire elementalist perfectly.

I'm really liking the variants on the new legendaries - it was a brilliant move by Anet - I just wish the old/previous generation legendaries got the same treatment. I'd love to have a Pharus themed dagger and axe to match with my Ranger, and a Bifrost themed greatsword to go with my Bifrost staff :-(