What do you want from the Bladesworn runes?

Duke Blackrose.4981

24 minutes ago, Geoff Fey.1035 said:

would be HUGE and go against the design philosophy of the game

Well, to be fair, Bladesworn as Anet packaged it for us already breaks a fundumental aspect of the game's balance philosophy. It does too much dmg in pve. Like too much. They ofc wouldn't allow that in competetive but frankly 10% dmg mitigation wouldn't do it imo. At least 15% plus.

Damage reduction would be better than toughness. There is no reason to have less than +150 toughness on any proposed rune as I stated earlier because you wouldn't bother with a rune then, you'd just run potion of karka toughness. Keep in mind durability rune is +175 toughness and +10% max health which is far more sustain ; rune of the fighter / brawler is +225 toughness and is one of the most used runes on PVP warriors.

If damage mitigation was the goal instead of damage (which is the point of the spec) at least make it synergize with might to increase payoff for MMR / Mending Might. It needs to be a power rune for Vigorous Shouts ammo builds if  a defensive option is sought ; precision/power/ferocity in some fashion for DPS. There already exists a scrapper rune with -7% damage reduction when in 600 range.

The problem with an ammo improving rune is mantras are ammo skills which could potentially make power firebrand much stronger which is why I would rather there be a payoff for weapon swap for example. Likewise a shout-oriented rune would need to be offensive such that it would not be attractive for firebrands and tempests (maybe might application on shouts).

Edited by Infusion.7149

2 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Damage reduction would be better than toughness. There is no reason to have less than +150 toughness on any proposed rune as I stated earlier because you wouldn't bother with a rune then, you'd just run potion of karka toughness. Keep in mind durability rune is +175 toughness and +10% max health which is far more sustain ; rune of the fighter / brawler is +225 toughness and is one of the most used runes on PVP warriors.

If damage mitigation was the goal instead of damage (which is the point of the spec) at least make it synergize with might to increase payoff for MMR / Mending Might. It needs to be a power rune for Vigorous Shouts ammo builds if  a defensive option is sought ; precision/power/ferocity in some fashion for DPS. There already exists a scrapper rune with -7% damage reduction when in 600 range.

The problem with an ammo improving rune is mantras are ammo skills which could potentially make power firebrand much stronger which is why I would rather there be a payoff for weapon swap for example. Likewise a shout-oriented rune would need to be offensive such that it would not be attractive for firebrands and tempests (maybe might application on shouts).

Nothing stopping you from using the rune AND the potion. That and the rune will feed Armored Attack while the potion won't.

11 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Nothing stopping you from using the rune AND the potion. That and the rune will feed Armored Attack while the potion won't.

I just fail to see why you would run a toughness primary stat rune with 175 toughness instead of brawler rune which is 225 toughness already.
If it's a toughness rune it is relegated to WVW.

For a 7% toughness to ferocity rune to payoff it would need to be a massive amount of toughness , we're talking 2K+. The likely stat choice you would be looking at is knight's.
Scholar rune / Eagle rune are both +225 ferocity , even ogre rune is +100 ferocity.

8 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

I just fail to see why you would run a toughness primary stat rune with 175 toughness instead of brawler rune which is 225 toughness already.
If it's a toughness rune it is relegated to WVW.

For a 7% toughness to ferocity rune to payoff it would need to be a massive amount of toughness , we're talking 2K+. The likely stat choice you would be looking at is knight's.
Scholar rune / Eagle rune are both +225 ferocity , even ogre rune is +100 ferocity.

Are you referring to my last suggestion? I'm confused about which one you are talking about.

20 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Are you referring to my last suggestion? I'm confused about which one you are talking about.

Well yes, it was the only fleshed out suggestion here besides Grand Marshal's (which had condi conversion).

I put commander's gear with scholar rune in gw2skills and this is the output:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKQAElJwwYisEmLe2X+RXA-zVJYgRBfJY7A-w

With armored attack and scholar runes you hit 2904 armor (1633 toughness) with the defense traitline.
Crit damage is  160% which is quite poor. If instead you had your 100 toughness it would not make a major impact. If it's 7% toughness to ferocity then you are looking at ~11% crit damage on knight's and ~7% crit damage on commander's.

If it's ferocity to toughness it still would be odd. Full marauder +scholar is 207% crit damage ; brawler rune instead would be 192% crit damage and 2496 armor.
+100 toughness with 7% ferocity to toughness would be similar to scrapper rune in its current iteration now, which is 2371 armor level and then an added 44 toughness from the 7% conversion on marauder.

• Marauder = 633 ferocity x 7% = 44 toughness... total = 144 toughness
  • Berserker = 960 ferocity x 7% = 67 toughness (75 if you run Axe mastery)  ...  total = 167-175 toughness

Doesn't seem too great either way. If you're going to add toughness it should be a flat +225 to compete with Brawler rune.

Edited by Infusion.7149

23 hours ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

1: +50 toughness

2: - 5% Inc condi duration

3: +100 toughness

4: - 10% Inc condi dmg

5: Convert 5% of ferocity into toughness

6: Every 3 explosions convert a condi you suffer from into a Boon (3 sec icd). 

To the 5th bonus: This is way too underpowered.

with full berserker equip and without scholar runes and "Great Fortitude" (because this skill converts power to ferocity, so it wouldnt be affected by the rune, i think) but with double axe, you end up with around 1200 ferocity.

1200/100*5 = 60.  ---> 60 Toughness really is...bad. You should make it 10%.

Tho i dont see that rune ever being used in pve. Tho most e spec runes r bad anyway. Renegade rune is maybe the most used e spec rune atm.

13 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Well yes, it was the only fleshed out suggestion here besides Grand Marshal's (which had condi conversion).

I put commander's gear with scholar rune in gw2skills and this is the output:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKQAElJwwYisEmLe2X+RXA-zVJYgRBfJY7A-w

With armored attack and scholar runes you hit 2904 armor (1633 toughness) with the defense traitline.
Crit damage is  160% which is quite poor. If instead you had your 100 toughness it would not make a major impact. If it's 7% toughness to ferocity then you are looking at ~11% crit damage on knight's and ~7% crit damage on commander's.

If it's ferocity to toughness it still would be odd. Full marauder +scholar is 207% crit damage ; brawler rune instead would be 192% crit damage and 2496 armor.
+100 toughness with 7% ferocity to toughness would be similar to scrapper rune in its current iteration now, which is 2371 armor level and then an added 44 toughness from the 7% conversion on marauder.

• Marauder = 633 ferocity x 7% = 44 toughness... total = 144 toughness
  • Berserker = 960 ferocity x 7% = 67 toughness (75 if you run Axe mastery)  ...  total = 167-175 toughness

Doesn't seem too great either way. If you're going to add toughness it should be a flat +225 to compete with Brawler rune.

Meh, I was just toying with someone else's suggestion. It's a ferocity version of undead runes, just with another stat in the end not toughness.

I'm pretty sure it will be a ferocity based rune though. Could be ferocity/power with some ammo/explosion based effect on the 6th bonus.

9 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Meh, I was just toying with someone else's suggestion. It's a ferocity version of undead runes, just with another stat in the end not toughness.

I'm pretty sure it will be a ferocity based rune though. Could be ferocity/power with some ammo/explosion based effect on the 6th bonus.

Bladesworn is on discretize calculator right now.
Check benchmark box for the buffs and take away mist potions.

• Thief rune + sharpening stone + 100 power 70 ferocity food = 29K --- 100% crit chance with zerk + assassin ring + back
  • Scholar rune + sharpening stone + 100 power 70 ferocity food = 28.3K --- 99.86 crit chance with full assassin + zerk helm
  • Eagle rune + sharpening stone + 100 power 70 ferocity food = 28.3K --- 99.86% crit chance
  • Spellbreaker rune + sharpening stone + 100 power 70 ferocity food  = 28K --- 99.86% crit chance
  • (Flame legion / ogre rune both below 27K)
  • Pack rune ~26.4K

Scholar rune with no active bonus is just below 27K (26.974K) effective power+burn...

https://discretize.github.io/discretize-gear-optimizer/

From this we can draw the conclusion that precision + ferocity with a damage bonus > 7% is necessary to supplant scholar / thief runes. Thief runes aren't as practical when you need to flank in Dragon Trigger.

Something that capitalizes on swiftness would be beneficial as well.

For example
*+300 precision , +175 ferocity , swiftness for 5s when swapping weapons for Warrior's Sprint <---  11.6% crit from ferocity would be roughly thief rune's 10% damage modifier
* +175 precision, +225 ferocity , +5% strike damage under swiftness  and swiftness for 5s when swapping weapons --- benefits from fast hands <--- eagle rune with a more reliable 5% bonus = ~28.3K
* + 175 power, +100 ferocity instead of boon duration , +125 precision <---  pack rune + 7% from ferocity = ~28K