Yet Another AFK Farming Post...

Just wondering, as some say these AFK farmers are causing the materials they farm to tank in price.  I'm wondering why AFK farmers farm materials that sell for so little.  Seems that T4 Dust sells for around 7+ Silver and T3 for around 10+ Silver, and I've heard laments about AFK farmers in Bloodfin Lake in Core Tyria. Now,  T5 only sells for around 60 Copper so either there aren't as many AFK farmers in Core as the laments would indicate, or they don't really affect price as much as has been posited. 

I don't AFK farm, or any other kind of farm, and am ambivalent about the issue; just wondering if any of the laments are affecting the game as it would seem from forum posts. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

8 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I don't AFK farm, or any other kind of farm, and am ambivalent about the issue; just wondering if any of the laments are affecting the game as it would seem from forum posts. 

I think it is more that some players think that other players are "cheating" or getting things for virtually free without working for them.  Somehow, it is "unfair".

I don't see that logic.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

1. Some of the time these people do this in areas where specific mobs need to be killed to accomplish tasks and their persistant nearly afk farming means no mobs to kill. 
2. For some players it completely removes the immersion of the game world. The unsightly cluster of players nearly afk or afk farming totally breaks with the narrative/feel of the games world. 
3. Some players view it as lazy/scummy behavior that is to be discouraged because youre not actually playing the game just abusing mechanics, or loose TOS guidelines.
4. This type of behavior negatively affects the market on certain items making them super cheap when they shouldnt be, and gives players who arent actually actively contributing to the games community a decent income for what many consider slumming.
5. A portion of semi afkers and afkers are RMT traders who are running as many accounts as they can to earn money efficiently with very little input so they can then sell the Gold online to other players. This type of player is 100% against the TOS, and also by most gaming community standards absolute scum. So when players see someone 'botting', afking, semi afking, they assume they are RMT traders and that they need to be banned permanently. 

I marked the parts in every sentence that made me say it's purely opinion and speculation

All points you make have always those key elements

Some people, a portion, they assume, they view it, most gaming communities, many consider, semi AFK..... and so on

That’s not what you said as just look below. 

15 hours ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

The whole game mode of PvP is illegal and all players who participate should be banned.

This was what my post was referring to hence why I quoted it. 

• Like 2

ah ok...

Never seen me running around in forums asking for other people getting banned for not playing how i like it.

If someone asks me, everyone can do whatever they want.

Difference being that that what they’re complaining about is actually against the rules.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Just wondering, as some say these AFK farmers are causing the materials they farm to tank in price.  I'm wondering why AFK farmers farm materials that sell for so little.  Seems that T4 Dust sells for around 7+ Silver and T3 for around 10+ Silver, and I've heard laments about AFK farmers in Bloodfin Lake in Core Tyria. Now,  T5 only sells for around 60 Copper so either there aren't as many AFK farmers in Core as the laments would indicate, or they don't really affect price as much as has been posited. 

I don’t believe that it’s about them crashing the prices to the point that the items have no value but simply from reducing the prices enough from their farming to cause the price to drop. The difference between what the prices are with their farming versus what it would have been without being the loss on legitimate farmers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

What?  So, any posters lamenting AFK farmers and prices are TP Barons? Hmm.  Didn't know there were so many on the forums. 

the majority of players never come here, most didnt even know it exist. The majority of people that play this game dont care, lower prices = good, but overall they dont know and dont care.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

Difference being that that what they’re complaining about is actually against the rules.

That’s not what you said as just look below. 

This was what my post was referring to hence why I quoted it. 

I assume you reffer to the PvP comments.

And yes, by A-Net rules, the whole PvP game modes are illegal and everyone taking part in it is violating the Code of Conduct

• Confused 1

54 minutes ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Because the TP barons are mad they cant inflate prices. They arent worried about the economy, they are worried about THIER economy! These are people that run the game like a stock market, I know I have had a lot of experience with that kind in more than one game. They are the loudest voice because its cuts into their profit, most normal players dont even know or care about the issue.  

Truth hurts lumpkin.

This, This and This

They would love to scalp anyone that moves but are crippled in their effords by standing farmers.

This is why they open a new thread every 3.5 hours to cling on their last hope that standing farming will be criminalized.

But since that is not violating any rules, they try to make something up

Edited by Kurrilino.2706
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I'm not defending AFK farming.  I have always stated that I do not AFK farm and I do not condone AFK farming.  However, I will defend players who play the game within the confines of the rules.  No one here on these forums can possibly know if someone is truly AFK unless they are in the same room with them.  These threads are tiresome.  The recourse is to report and move on and let Anet do their job.  We don't need a weekly whine about it.
EDIT: and there's the confused emoticon.  So, what's confusing?  It's pretty clear if one reads the rules.

Same here, I'm very much against cheating of any kind. But I agree,  unless they are watching the player with some binoculars or in the same room I find it hard to believe a person knows with 100% certainty if a person is afk.    If a person is certain player x is akf.  Show the proof.  A picture of them at the beach or eating supper while their account is online farming would be proof.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

I assume you reffer to the PvP comments.

And yes, by A-Net rules, the whole PvP game modes are illegal and everyone taking part in it is violating the Code of Conduct

Unless you can provide facts to back that up, I refer to my previous post where I stated that this is just your opinion. 

• Like 3

Unless you can provide facts to back that up, I refer to my previous post where I stated that this is just your opinion. 

I can easily do that, it's rule 23.

23. While participating in Player-vs-Player (PvP) gameplay in the Services, you will not participate in any form of match manipulation. Match manipulation is defined as any action taken to fix or manipulate the outcome of a match or alter or manipulate the rankings or ratings of the ladder. This also includes disrupting other users’ experiences in the Services by not actively participating in good faith

The natural status of a PvP match is draw.

The rule clearly states "any form of match manipulation -> which is any action to fix or manipulate the outcome of a match"

So trying to lose or trying to win both manipulate and alter the outcome of a match.

There is no rule or law that the purpose of the match is to win.

What the actual purpose of a PvP match is, remains unclear, since it's also not allowed to climb or drop on the leaderboards.

The only fact according to the rules, it is illegal

Edited by Kurrilino.2706
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 4

9 minutes ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

I can easily do that, it's rule 23.

23. While participating in Player-vs-Player (PvP) gameplay in the Services, you will not participate in any form of match manipulation. Match manipulation is defined as any action taken to fix or manipulate the outcome of a match or alter or manipulate the rankings or ratings of the ladder. This also includes disrupting other users’ experiences in the Services by not actively participating in good faith

The natural status of a PvP match is draw.

The rule clearly states "any form of match manipulation -> which is any action to fix or manipulate the outcome of a match"

So trying to lose or trying to win both manipulate and alter the outcome of a match.

There is no rule or law the the purpose of the match is to win.

What the actual purpose of a PvP match is, remains unclear, since it's also not allowed to climb or drop on the leaderboards.

The only fact according to the rules, it is illegal

That’s some serious twisting of the rules and/or failure to understand what match manipulation actually is. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

That’s some serious twisting of the rules and/or failure to understand what match manipulation actually is. 

I read rules and laws as written, not what someone thinks it could or could not mean.

If you have something official to add to this rule i will gladly take a look and change my view if evidence leads me to that conclusion.

I also don't need to understand or have an opinion of what match manipulation is, since it's directly written into the rule of conduct

Edited by Kurrilino.2706
  • Confused 4

10 minutes ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

I read rules and laws as written, not what someone thinks it could or could not mean.

If you have something official to add to this rule i will gladly take a look and change my view if evidence leads me to that conclusion.

I also don't need to understand or have an opinion of what match manipulation is, since it's directly written into the rule of conduct

Common sense dictates that PvP is where players fight each other with the goal to win. Match manipulation is where one side manipulates the match such as players on one side intentionally causing their team to lose. This is common in practically every single PvP game out there today so either you have no idea what match manipulation is or you do and well…

In either case it doesn’t matter. Your opinion goes against how every company with a match manipulation policy has acted as well as how practically every other player I have seen views match manipulation.

This is also going a bit beyond the scope of the thread so we’ll just leave your statements to speak for themselves. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

Common sense dictates that PvP is where players fight each other with the goal to win.

Match manipulation is where one side manipulates the match such as players on one side intentionally causing their team to lose. This is common in practically every single PvP game out there today so either you have no idea what match manipulation is or you do and well…

In either case it doesn’t matter. Your opinion goes against how every company with a match manipulation policy has acted as well as how practically every other player I have seen views match manipulation.

This is also going a bit beyond the scope of the thread so we’ll just leave your statements to speak for themselves. 

Common sense is irrelevant if it comes to rules of conduct or laws.

10 peoples have 10 opinions of what common sense mean in a particular situation.

PvP is the best example. For the daily you need to participate in a PvP match.

The fastest way to finish the match is doing nothing and have the team being slaughtered.

My common sense and other people's common sense would say: Yes, this is a great way to get the daily.

You might disagree with that. So how do we determine who is right? Exactly, the rules everyone agreed to.

This is why we write down rules clearly stating what is illegal.

Beside that i couldn't give less kitten about what's going on in other games.

I play GW2 and that's it. I also only agreed to A-Net's Eula and Rules of conduct, not other games.

Edited by Kurrilino.2706
  • Confused 4

So with the many, many  threads about AFK farming I guess nothing will happen unless a prominent streamer brings it up like the PvP win trading and account sharing thing recently.  Whatever,  I'm certain that some of the farmers are breaking the rules from what I have seen on some maps.  But I find it odd that with this MMO it is so frequently defended as," You don't know if they are really AFK even though they are there 24 hours a day 7 days a week."  Last I have to say about it because it is bad Karma  😄

Good luck.

Edited by JustTrogdor.7892
  • Like 1

10 peoples have 10 opinions of what common sense mean in a particular situation.

The fastest way to finish the match is doing nothing and have the team being slaughtered.

My common sense and other people's common sense would say: Yes, this is a great way to get the daily.

You might disagree with that. So how do we determine who is right? Exactly, the rules everyone agreed to.

I play GW2 and that's it. I also only agreed to A-Net's Eula and Rules of conduct, not other games.

You continue to focus on something which has nothing to do with whether the game mode itself is "illegal".  Everything that you listed would be no different than me saying that farming is "illegal" because some people AFK/bot it.  You continuously point on the very few bad apples who do break the rules and apply that across everyone playing the game mode including the game mode itself.  You have provided no evidence to state that the game mode itself is "illegal" other than players breaking rules within it. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 3

Are you claiming there were only 83 players/accounts participating in PvP? That there is no one now participating that participated prior to October 6th?

This morning we permanently banned 83 accounts that were identified as participating in match manipulation and/or account sharing in sPvP ranked play or Monthly Automated Tournaments.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Are you claiming there were only 83 players/accounts participating in PvP? That there is no one now participating that participated prior to October 6th?

This morning we permanently banned 83 accounts that were identified as participating in match manipulation and/or account sharing in sPvP ranked play or Monthly Automated Tournaments.

I don't claim anything.

I actually don't do anything PvP related except dailies so i am not in the loop

• Confused 4

13 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

You continue to focus on something which has nothing to do with whether the game mode itself is "illegal".  Everything that you listed would be no different than me saying that farming is "illegal" because some people AFK/bot it.  You continuously point on the very few bad apples who do break the rules and apply that across everyone playing the game mode including the game mode itself.  You have provided no evidence to state that the game mode itself is "illegal" other than players breaking rules within it. 

I don't think you really understand what i am saying.

The only thing i am doing is to show that the wording of the conduct rules technically make the whole PvP mode illegal.

I didn't say anything about bad apples or single someone out breaking rules.

The rules of conduct are written in a way that would prevent someone from actively trying to win or lose.

So everyone who participates in anything else than staying around breaks the rules of conduct.

What you do with this information is not of my business.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3