I've got all expansions, but not played PoF yet. Worth coming back at this point?

I was a GW2 since release day, and have a character with full ascended gear, plus all the expansions. I played a tiny bit of PoF when it first came out, but then quit, and I can't even remember why now. I'm thinking of getting back into the game to prepare myself for the next expansion, but I feel like I'm massively behind everyone else.

I still have ALL of PoF to do, plus about 15 or so living story episodes, which aren't even unlocked so I'll have to buy them as well. I've got around 600g so I guess I could convert gold to gems and unlock some that way, but I don't know how far that 600g will stretch, and doubt I'd be able to unlock ALL the living story episodes with that.

Do you think it's worth coming back now and trying to catch up to everyone else, considering I've got so much that I need to do? I know that there's no gear grind so it's not like I'm behind in terms of gear, but content wise I am. I'm also the kind of player that needs to have completed most, if not all of an expansion before I even set foot into a new one, so chances are I'll still be playing through PoF by the time the next expansion comes out.

I personally believe it is 100% worth playing through. Though there are many hours of story to play through, Living World S3, Path of Fire, and S4 are the pinnacle of GW2 story telling with some amazing maps and unlocks. 

Like you mentioned, there is no catching up gear-wise, so having so much story content to play through is a good problem to have and should tide you over until EOD. 

Then if you still have time, there are many things you can unlock. Between the seasons and the expansion, you have skin unlocks, new elite specs to try and mounts to unlock.

If you’re here for the story- in my humble opinion, PoF and LWS4 were the apex of GW2 storytelling. I know that’s just the opinion of some guy on the Internet, but it’s true. Plus, mounts, events, skins, all that fun stuff

as mentioned, you can also get LWS5 (more commonly referred to as IBS on the forums just as an FYI because it was marketed as different from living stories) for free in the coming weeks, just by logging in at least once during those featured times, so really you’d only need to buy LWS4 (which, again, gets my highest recommendation)

IBS receives… less stellar reviews we’ll say, but still, it’s great for free content. Welcome back, I am sure there’s more than enough content for you to find a place!

Whether or not it's worth coming back depends entirely on you. You are not behind anybody. In fact, I sort of envy you for being able to play PoF and Living World Season 4 for the first time. Many players will tell you that these releases are arguably the best (story) content the game has to offer.

Like Random Wax Orc said, don't forget to log in at least once a week, starting from Oct. 19., to unlock Episodes of The Icebrood Saga, aka Living World Season 5. That's 6 episodes, or 1200 gems off your shoulders. Sadly, you missed the same offer with the previous episodes, so you have no other option than to buy them. I suggest you look for the complete season bundles in the gem store, as those offer the episodes at 160 gems each and automatically discount the ones you might already have unlocked.

Your 600 gold is currently worth about 2100 gems, so I don't think you'll have any trouble getting the missing episodes with that.

Edited by MikeG.6389
  • Thanks 1

As a few others have said here, Season 4 is the main one worth paying for, and Icebrood Saga you can unlock free during the upcoming event.

Definitely worth playing through those just to get up to speed on the story, but I'd skip all of the optional grinds except the Skyscale. 

At least finish PoF, the mounts alone are worth the trip.

As for the living story ep's, I'd personally skip LWS4, but I don't care for story at all and found none of the maps that interesting, meta event-wise.

LWS5 gave me the Drizzlewood Coast meta events, which I love.

To each his own, you'll find yours, have fun : - )

• Confused 1

If you get griphon or even skyscale, you will not be behind. You'll be "current". I'd say even ahead of many other players.

Finish PoF and you can get griphon in a couple of days or even just one. Finish LWS4 and you can get skyscale. It takes longer then a couple of days, but its not that long.

Small note: its not actually required. It is nice, if you want to zerg open world metas at near the speed of light though.

GW2 has a noncommittal design.  You can just jump back in and play.  If you like it, then keep playing.  If not, there is no pressure to keep you playing because everything on your account will always remain relevant if you decide to come back later.

As for purchasing expansions, play different parts of the game on your existing characters without regard for any rewards.  If you enjoy the game mechanics on their own, its a worthy purchase.  If not, it's up to you and your personal marginal benefit analysis and opportunity costs.  

Just play the game and you'll get the most accurate and relevant answer that no forum post can give you.

• Like 1