New Thief Elite - The Specter

Graeaw.6329

16 minutes ago, Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

0:28 looks like a Steal animation that deals damage -- like a finisher?

This one is really wierd :

- it's in shadow shroud (purple)

- it's not a weapon skill (no weapon on the animation)

- the enemi has a purple aura" like there is 2 step for the skill (a mark+ a finisher ?)

- the thief go out of the shadow shroud at the moment she hit the enemi then return in

After seeing how much Harbinger has to give up for being a more mobile condi DPS, this seems like it could be the more mobile dark themed condi/support mage I'd like, build on a profession core designed around such squish. 

Definitely excited to see more of it and might get me back on Thief.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jumpel.3972 said:

This one is really wierd :

- it's in shadow shroud (purple)

- it's not a weapon skill (no weapon on the animation)

- the enemi has a purple aura" like there is 2 step for the skill (a mark+ a finisher ?)

- the thief go out of the shadow shroud at the moment she hit the enemi then return in

Maybe stealing puts you in Shadow Shroud? If so, then that clip shows that the Thief activated steal just as Shadow Shroud is about to expire which reactivate it.

not sure about the new mechanic. once upon a time rift had a cleric class called defiler. it had tethered mitigation bubbles that were unique to it. the class became required for all hard content and was just all around a pain. wasnt too long before the class was redesigned entirely.

now, gw1 monk had some similar abilities that were balanced out by gimping mana regen and limiting the use of other abilities. maybe this will leech from initiative?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Right ... and I'm not disagreeing that the barrier has that animation. I'm just not going to conclude this is a barrier simply because of it's animation; this isn't the first time we see Anet share animations for different things. I think that's far too assuming to make that conclusion.  Frankly, I don't think applying a barrier fits the theme all that well and it seems rather pointless as a mechanic as well ... but it's not worth arguing the point further until we get the full reveal. 

Bro, it literally says it gives barrier in the trailer

Why would they reuse the yellow barrier animation for a skill specific to this new spec thats all purple themed?

You're just being a contrarian for no good reason 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

People asked for it. The rest of the Elite has to be better because it's a double FU giving it the Scepter. 

Want to stand still and wave your hand around? Want the most boring weapon animations and worst skin selection in the game? Here you go. Hopefully the rest of the Elite brings something but either way, have fun in zergs all of you support thieves. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 2

My initial reaction——- HYPER VENTILATING!!! YOOO THIEVES ARE GOING TO BE BROKEN!!!!! This spec looks amazing !!! PLUS I already have a staff sanctuary rune barrier build that’ I’ve been playing for over a year now.

My reaction right after thinking back about previous specs previews——— If it looks broken, it’s most likely not going to be in practice and actual gameplay. I won’t hold my head too high. But I will say it does visually look cool. I just hope that the  leap skill animation isn’t as desync prone, janky, and lag sensitive as Staff’s Vault animation 

It doesn't say stealth is "replaced" in the trailer. A lot of the wording though in these trailers has been kind off. Like remember when they said the Catalyst uses wells? The trailer says "shroud" but what that actually is and if it will work like Necromancer remains to be seen. That said if they replace stealth with points into a "shroud" skill that makes the usage of the SA traitline a little bit confusing. They did something similar with clones into blades but this is a lot more complicated. Take Meld with Shadows for example, how would that change Merciful Ambush if stealth no longer technically happens anymore? Maybe now it only occurs in the "shroud" but figuring out the benefits of having SA isn't as obvious anymore. It will be interesting to see what becomes of scepter on release if the main deal with the spec is getting "shroud" maxed out as fast as possible. I'd think that the short bow would probably be a major component of the spec at that point.

3 hours ago, Loboling.5293 said:

Looks sick! I like that thief support focuses on supporting a single ally. It goes with their theme well.

I don't know where you're getting that from, but that's never going to happen. Anet doesn't let us target allies, ever, and every support skill is a point blank AoE around your character. Unless skills have an AoE cap of 1 and it just targets the nearest ally (in which case it's going to be unusable while stacked on bosses or in a wvw zerg).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Frankly, I don't think applying a barrier fits the theme all that well and it seems rather pointless as a mechanic as well ... but it's not worth arguing the point further until we get the full reveal. 

It fits the theme due to:

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Shadow_Form

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Vidit.7108 said:

Take Meld with Shadows for example, how would that change Merciful Ambush if stealth no longer technically happens anymore? Maybe now it only occurs in the "shroud" but figuring out the benefits of having SA isn't as obvious anymore

If Stealth = Shadow Shroud only for thief then we can guess Merciful Ambush (and shadow refuge) will still stealth ally

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jumpel.3972 said:

If Stealth = Shadow Shroud only for thief then we can guess Merciful Ambush (and shadow refuge) will still stealth ally

Possible. It's a very strange skill application if you throw down shadow refuge and only allies get stealthed with you looking like a doofus alone. If it doesn't stealth them anymore then it seems also like a really fast way to build up points into shroud at least.

• Haha 1

I'm really hoping that this spec isn't as "scourge-y" as it appears in this 30-second trailer, never really been a fan of builds that sit in the back and spam barrier/AoE's especially on a highly mobile class like the thief. All they really showed were a couple of (melee?) auto-attacks, Pistol 5, a leap that looked very similar to the vindicators leap, some generic purple punch(?) attack and what looked like Reaper's shadow step ability from overwatch which is just a worse looking version of the ports we already have.

I also REALLY hope those animations are placeholder because they all looked awful, but that seems to be the running theme for this round of E-specs. I'm all for having some kind of support build on Thief but just please let it be more interesting than just spamming AoE's and barrier. If I wanted that again I already have a Necro..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2