The current version of Aura is not fit for Ele

Sunshine.5014

Every class has something unique that will be relevant across all Elite specs. For Ele that's Aura. However, the current way Aura work makes it very hard to balance Ele.

• Aura is meant to be a defensive tool. It's a much needed mechanic for a low HP/Armor class like Ele.
  • Aura is very strong vs humans. PvP people are afraid of Aura. It serves its defensive purpose.
  • On the other hand, Aura is *useless* in PvE. Raid/Fractal boss doesn't care if you have Aura.
  • This makes it pretty hard to balance Aura. Buffing Aura for PvE means PvP/WvW people will cry.

Suggestion:

• Dramatically reduce most of the on-hit effect on Aura. Reduce burning from Fire Aura. Reduce stun to 0.25s for Shock Aura... etc
  • Make Aura block one attack.

This makes Aura useful in PvE while not making it OP in PvP. It helps Ele not being a downstate meme in PvE, while reducing the on-hit effect makes it less frustrating to fight in PvP. Everyone wins..

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sunshine.5014 said:

Every class has something unique that will be relevant across all Elite specs. For Ele that's Aura. However, the current way Aura work makes it very hard to balance Ele.

• Aura is meant to be a defensive tool. It's a much needed mechanic for a low HP/Armor class like Ele.
  • Aura is very strong vs humans. PvP people are afraid of Aura. It serves its defensive purpose.
  • On the other hand, Aura is *useless* in PvE. Raid/Fractal boss doesn't care if you have Aura.
  • This makes it pretty hard to balance Aura. Buffing Aura for PvE means PvP/WvW people will cry.

Suggestion:

• Dramatically reduce most of the on-hit effect on Aura. Reduce burning from Fire Aura. Reduce stun to 0.25s for Shock Aura... etc
  • Make Aura block one attack.

This makes Aura useful in PvE while not making it OP in PvP. It helps Ele not being a downstate meme in PvE, while reducing the on-hit effect makes it less frustrating to fight in PvP. Everyone wins..

A block for every aura sounds very powerful to me.  Tempest and weaver can spit auras every few seconds while also utilizing a lot of evades.  It would be really difficult to find a window to attack these classes if you throw in a bunch of free blocks.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

A block for every aura sounds very powerful to me.  Tempest and weaver can spit auras every few seconds while also utilizing a lot of evades.  It would be really difficult to find a window to attack these classes if you throw in a bunch of free blocks.

Guardian can also pump out Aegis, or Scourge pump out Barrier if they exhaust all cooldowns. Tempest realistically get an aura every 4-5s with overload (and free to be attacked for 4-5 sec while overloading). Weaver has even less Aura access than Tempest. Catalyst may have more Aura access, but this change wouldn't make Catalyst OP, just more survivable.

One way to make this more balance is to make it a Master Trait in the Arcane traitline.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

I don't see how  a block makes auras useful in pve, and balanced in PvP. On contrary IMO it'll be the opposite; broken in pvp, still barely viable in pve.

Weaver  (fire/water for sharing) can spam fire-auras really effectively if you build into it : with focus, weaveself/unravel, and leaps with air#2 fire#2, may be runes with an aura, with arth shield and the conjurer trait. You're wrong when you say weaver has less auras than tempest.  It's aegis but at really high frequency.

And block in pve instanced; yes it's strong if you know mechanics, attacks etc like Aegis, will it be enough to make tempest viable as healer/ mightbot compared to hFB with Perfect Inscription and quickness/boons, ren with AP, alacrity, ventari projectil block, compared to scourge with huge noob carry potential, druid with spirits, spotter etc ?
I doubt about it. IMO auras should grant offensive buffs or pulse effect with core elementalist's traits; and  weaker versions in pvp

Edited by Zhaid Zhem.6508

I agree with the Zhaid Zhem.

The problem seems the more defensive nature of Auras. Defense is rarely a focus in PvE, compared to PvP/WvW. 

I don't think the comparison to other meta classes (especially Firebrand) is too fruitful though. They should not be the status quo we want to balance around.

The difficult part is bringing some offense to Auras without reducing their defense. Their defense is a major selling point. We already have some offensive Aura Traits, but maybe more would help? 

A lot of what auras do is hidden to the caster of them so till anet makes the UI and feed back better on what going on in a fight we will never know how strong or week they are.

My though is to add more transmutation effects to the core class traits as well as making a transmutation on hit trait where if you are hit with an aura your aura auto transmutation with all of the effects and traits tide to it. I would like to see this effect carry over to auras you put on other ppl as well.

The fact we only got 1 trait that works with transmutation is out right a failing on anet end it would of been something very class defning.

• Like 3