The Mechanist - new engineer EoD elite spec

Jijimuge.4675

5 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

I guess Toolbelt is gone completely, but anything that is 'Toolbelt' related affects the Mech skills instead. Guess that would solve any Grenade Barrage Mechanist builds before they become problems.

Wouldn't call this one yet. I can't imagine that anet really creates an elite spec which completely disables a healing skill from healing it's user (F1 from med kit replacing the regular heal skill).

I hope that it will be a temporary flip over. That you can switch between 2 sets of toolbelts, one which holds your regular toolbelt skills (-F5) and one which is for commanding the mech.

6 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Yeah more fair and true. I was just being cheeky, though I am surprised how it appears this is welcomed. The spec seems ripe for PVE. Questionable competitive mode ... but then again, Engi class don't suffer from ineffective competitive mode builds anyways. 

The problem is we all know how this goes. We've seen it on Engineer before, we've seen and still see it with ranger pets, Every AI in the game has been problematic in the same ways, some have been removed because of it.

AI will always be either OP and therefor nerfed to uselessness, especially in WvW or it won't work properly and become a hinderance in many forms of content. We've seen this from the beginning. And unless anet has some spectacular overhaul planned for AI that they're keeping secret, there's literally no reason to think that this won't be the same thing yet again.

I despair

• Like 5

Probably will be visually stunning and all the people that plop turrets in openworld and then go afk (or look like it) are salivating.

Luckily scrapper gained acceptance in PVE a bit after gyro reworks. For everyone that isn't an openworld player I would not have that much confidence in this spec.

If anyone played scrapper when gyros were destructible you would know to keep your expectations low for Mechanist.

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 2

Assuming that the golem actually has AI, this is going to be ridiculous for AFK farming. Necros used to be king, but now people will take this spec, throw turrets on it, take a pet rune like privateer, and clutter up the whole map with giant jade pleasure bots. Bleh. ANet refuses to learn. Just fix turrets and call that an elite spec, people will like it more.

Also, if it has AI, and it has autoattacks, don't give it a knockback chain, or people will hate you for using it. Oh, and forget about getting out of combat in time.

Edited by Matoro.9708
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Matoro.9708 said:

Assuming that the golem actually has AI, this is going to be ridiculous for AFK farming. Necros used to be king, but now people will take this spec, throw turrets on it, take a pet rune like privateer, and clutter up the whole map with giant jade pleasure bots. Bleh. ANet refuses to learn. Just fix turrets and call that an elite spec, people will like it more.

Also, if it has AI, and it has autoattacks, don't give it a knockback chain, or people will hate you for using it. 

You summon it, it's probably time gated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matoro.9708 said:

Also, if it has AI, and it has autoattacks, don't give it a knockback chain, or people will hate you for using it. Oh, and forget about getting out of combat in time.

So your opinion is that this espec should just be 'turrets improved' because of instances of AFK Farming? I don't think you have thought this through. 

• Like 2

Seems power based which is a good thing because it allows one to run rune of the golemancer to get a second golem. But I'm happy to finally see a pet based spec where the pet actually looks like something that can get things done on its own vs. enemies that aren't just the lowest form of OW trash mobs, this and Harbinger are the only 2 two e-specs I'm actually excited for unless the golem turns out to be a glorified meatshild or the traits of the Specter end up being mindblowingly good.

4 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

So your opinion is that this espec should just be 'turrets improved' because of instances of AFK Farming? I don't think you have thought this through. 

No, I think turrets should be removed and replaced with something with no AI at all, I've made a thread about it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tails.9372 said:

Seems power based which is a good thing because it allows one to run rune of the golemancer to get a second golem.

Sure, a third power based spec is surely being a good thing.
Remember when eles cried because catalyst is a 3rd melee spec? And then people like you coming up with 3 POWER AND MELEE specs being a good thing. Sorry but nope, this is not a good thing.

So we would get a third power spec.
a third melee spec.
and AI focused that turned out really bad in gw2 over the years. So bad that scrapper AI had to get killed and made it wells.

Surely a good thing.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Matoro.9708 said:

... Necros used to be king, but now people will take this spec, throw turrets on it, take a pet rune like privateer, and clutter up the whole map with giant jade pleasure bots....

I was already planning as my first act next Tuesday to summon as many things as I possibly can. Turrets, Mechanist Golem, old Asuran elite Golem, and a Sunspear Paragon, at least. Instead of the parrot, I'll need to get my hands on six Superior Runes of the Golemancer, for yet another Golem.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, wasss.1208 said:

I'm disappointed for now, giving a-nets amazing track record with summoned/AI based stuff (turrets, gyros). I might change my mind tomorrow, or after the beta.

Agreed. I'm hoping I'm wrong. I hope they'll prove me wrong this time. When Gyros were announced there were two groups on the engi forum; those who barely playerd Engi or ranger and were excited and those who had played engi and ranger and knew how this goes. We begged, we pleaded with them to look at their own history. We said they AI would be bad, for all the reasons players have known since launch. Anet did it anyway. Gyros launched unchanged. We were proven right. After a few years of Scrapper underperforming and the gyros being basically worthless, the gyros were replaced with wells.

How do anet plan to make this any different? Do they even plan to make it any different? Is there a secret AI overhaul? Will they use something new? I doubt it.

I'm hoping I'm wrong.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SeTect.5918 said:

Sure, a third power based spec is surely being a good thing.
Remember when eles cried because catalyst is a 3rd melee spec? And then people like you coming up with 3 POWER AND MELEE specs being a good thing. Sorry but nope, this is not a good thing.

Except the reason most people gave as for why they were unhappy with "a 3rd melee spec" was that mages are in their eyes supposed to be ranged fighters. This still fits the core theme of the engineer and the general reception is without a question much better for this one so the comparison here is a bit off. Like it or not but unlike with catalyst this is what people wanted.

Edited by Tails.9372

35 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Wouldn't call this one yet. I can't imagine that anet really creates an elite spec which completely disables a healing skill from healing it's user (F1 from med kit replacing the regular heal skill).

I hope that it will be a temporary flip over. That you can switch between 2 sets of toolbelts, one which holds your regular toolbelt skills (-F5) and one which is for commanding the mech.

You doubt Anet?

22 minutes ago, Tails.9372 said:

Accept the reason most people gave as for why they were unhappy with "3 melee" was that that mages are in their eyes supposed to be ranged fighters.

And because ele has least sustain in the game maybe.

22 minutes ago, Tails.9372 said:

This still fits the core theme of the specialization and the general reception is without a question much better for this one so the comparison here is a bit off. Like it or not but unlike with catalyst this is what people wanted.

Sure, melee. Okay.
Power, no.

That said i was mostly going to the thing you said with power spec and ai spec. Its a fact that AI didnt go well in gw2. And its a fact that we already have 2 power based e specs as engi.

For example bringing up this vote:

Depending on this, people want condi for this e spec. 74 voted for condi and 15 for power. Its still a riddle to me how 15 could vote for power tho.

Sure its a small vote, but that vote ended so obvious that i allow myself to say that it wouldnt be a big difference on a bigger vote of...for example 1k voters in total.

Edited by SeTect.5918