Jump to content
  • Sign Up

The Mechanist - new engineer EoD elite spec


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally I think it's the coolest looking spec this time around, irregardless of how good/bad it may bad.

AI and most likely power based... sucks for me to be an engineer main right now, but I guess we have to work with this now. At least it is not offhand mace, that's something...

At least it is out of the way now so I can hope that Anet focuses on better elite specs in the future.

3 hours ago, MrForz.1953 said:

Canthan engineers dabbing real hard on asuras. 😂

I'll see if I can't go full Imperial and have that pet be a helpful steward of sorts.

Well to be fair there was probably a lot of Asura tech left behind once Cantha was sealed off. Not to mention a certain event where Canthans were buy Asura tech back in GW1. It was bound to be messed with by the Canthans and added with Jade tech.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Roads.5130 said:

So many people hurt for it being pet based without even knowing the details, kind of laughable.

Why is it laughable? We've had 9 years of evidence that pets are a bad idea. We have 9 years of evidence of them failing, causing problems, being hard to balance. 9 years in which anets only response to pet problems so far, is deleting them when they can. The only example we've seen of Anet making pets better, is soulbeast.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wolfyrik.2017 said:

Why is it laughable? We've had 9 years of evidence that pets are a bad idea. We have 9 years of evidence of them failing, causing problems, being hard to balance. 9 years in which anets only response to pet problems so far, is deleting them when they can. The only example we've seen of Anet making pets better, is soulbeast.

I do understand your frustration. 

What I don't understand is why the pets AI is not efficient in Gw2. 

I get that is a different game but back in GW1 we had 7 heroes in a party maganed by AI and only 1 real players and they were working amazingly. So definitely Anet knows how to handle AI but probably there are problems in GW2 for which they haven't found solutions as of yet. 

Maybe now they did tho cause 2 specs now will rely heavily on pets! 

So let's just wait to play the beta and then we will see 😊

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Aedil.1296 said:

I do understand your frustration. 

What I don't understand is why the pets AI is not efficient in Gw2. 

I get that is a different game but back in GW1 we had 7 heroes in a party maganed by AI and only 1 real players and they were working amazingly. So definitely Anet knows how to handle AI but probably there are problems in GW2 for which they haven't found solutions as of yet. 

Maybe now they did tho cause 2 specs now will rely heavily on pets! 

So let's just wait to play the beta and then we will see 😊

The AI allies in GW1 weren't particularly good either. They often required micromanagement to perform as expected. They didn't move intelligently nor attack intelligently.

The only exceptions were the AI interrupters - they could react with inhuman speed, and were part of the reason you barely saw any mesmer mains in GW1.

AI is notoriously difficult to balance and design in games, especially MMOs. I'm replaying STALKER right now, where the enemy AI is significantly smarter than most game AI these days. The AI can flank you, grenade you while you're in cover, etc. But it can also pull crazy crap like shooting you through multiple bushes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Vagrant.7206 said:

The AI allies in GW1 weren't particularly good either. They often required micromanagement to perform as expected. They didn't move intelligently nor attack intelligently.

The only exceptions were the AI interrupters - they could react with inhuman speed, and were part of the reason you barely saw any mesmer mains in GW1.

AI is notoriously difficult to balance and design in games, especially MMOs. I'm replaying STALKER right now, where the enemy AI is significantly smarter than most game AI these days. The AI can flank you, grenade you while you're in cover, etc. But it can also pull crazy crap like shooting you through multiple bushes.

I know what you mean but come on the monks were great in GW1 also the ritualists and necros discordia or mm in AI not just the mesmers! 

I have to say I liked the bit of micromanagement on heroes to be honest. 

Doing AI in a dynamic combat like in GW2 is pretty hard. They would prob need quantic servers to handle that! 😅

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Bomboed.5697 said:

I also hate how second e-spec in a row has flashy over the top sci-fi visuals. I mean, for me GW2 was always a fantasy world with steampunkish elements in term of technologies. And when I started to play Engi I wanted to see bombs, clockwork devices, alchemy and gunpowder guns.
At first, Scrapper was great thematically. It felt like an engineer, it added some lighting "tesla" elements to the class theme.
But then was Holo.... And now Mechanist. Both with lasers, beams and other stuff that feels, looks and sounds like magic.

All classes remain their thematic and visual integrity. And only Engi has specs, that ruin his integrity.

I strongly stand behind this too. I picked engi because magic doesn't feel quite right to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Obtena.7952 said:

Simply ... one always thinks the grass is greener. The question here is which one is right?

 

Well it is interesting that literally every class subforum are of the opinion that their class got the short stick and that every other spec is much better.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, wolfyrik.2017 said:

Why is it laughable? We've had 9 years of evidence that pets are a bad idea. We have 9 years of evidence of them failing, causing problems, being hard to balance. 9 years in which anets only response to pet problems so far, is deleting them when they can. The only example we've seen of Anet making pets better, is soulbeast.

Laughable because the people that continue to complain that pets are a bad idea continue to force themselves to play the only pet class in this game (+ 1 espec incoming maybe). Pretty hard to have sympathy for people that subject themselves to the pain. 

  • Like 3
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else notice he might have had mace in both hands? It was hard to tell but it looked like it to me, but maybe im missing something.

Wondering if they havent finished the skill icons for offhand or something

nvm it looks like its just a weird pistol skin, bummmmer

Edited by Slugonaut.9841
Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't been using Ranger pet in years but micromanaging helped a lot tbf. Ranged ones were easy enough to control, even in wvw. They were a lot weaker but theres room to split things between pve and pvp.

I expect pets could use a fair bit of work in the mean time and being careful about things that will mess up pathing in environment design will be important. I dont see it being meta even if it is strong ultimately. You (and more importantly other people) wont want to be relying on an AI in more competitive environments basically. Hopefully it'll be good fun and mostly viable despite that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I rewatched the demonstration and what I saw is that a melee F skill makes the mech stay in melee afterward, a ranged F skill make it auto-attack in range afterward. Yet there is a trait that turn all attack ranged?

 

I can't wait to try it. Real combat will be more chaotic than in the demonstration, but so far it seems there is a finer control over the mech than the Ranger has over its pets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aravind.9610 said:

This spec seems like trash now without toolbelt and 100 second cooldown on mech.

OMG!!! Let it go already. Just dismiss the mech before it dies and it will only be a 10 sec cooldown. Honestly I hope they keep the 100 sec cd to punish bad Engineers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Raolin Soulherder.3195 said:

This spec is kinda disappointing tbh. Golem & skills are pretty-looking, but golem probably will get melted and/or reflected in WvW. tough to lose toolbelt skills too. 

From what I saw ... that is VERY dependent on the stats you equip on your own gear. Also, the percentages the Golem adopt from your character are actually greater than your own stats ... 

  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...